Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blood Claw - Weapon  (Read 1449 times)
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« on: 07 October 2007, 11:43:27 »

Didn't see a spot to post ideas and ask so posted this ... This weapon goes hand and hand with my blood bear entry over on the Beast Board ...

Weapon Name
Blood Claw

Description
The point of this slightly curved claw is as sharp as a sword, but the claw it self could be craved and shaped until it is mostly straight. The edge of the claw can also be sharpened. The knuckle bones of this great beast becomes the handle and must be wrapped many times in touch stirps of sturdy leather to form a grip. The process of making this blade takes time like any blade would and the out come is wonderous.

When finished it would look like the claw of a great bear (because that is what it is), thought slightly straighten and sharpened so where the slightest pressure against the blade could cut. Though this blade becomes very sharp it will become dull swiftly and after a few years the blade will become little more than a decoration. The point slightly curved so it could dig into the skin of an opponent and rip through the flesh easily. The handle may apper to just be leather, but at the bottom the end of the bears knuckle bone would apper a pale white. As time passed the leather would form to fit the owners hand, creating a dagger beyond compare. The dagger almost a palmspan in lenght.

Usage
This blade could be used like any other dagger. In a tight spot, close conditions, or a knife fight. This ordiany but extrodinary weapon has many uses and and easily fit in anywhere. The only down fall of this weapon is the way of obatining it. Sure it could probly be purchace somewhere at an extravagant price because some fool decided to take a shoot at a Blood Bear and somehow survived.  Took the time to turn the remaining claws into the blade and decided to sell them and make a fortune. But how often is that going to happen?

Fighting Style
This blade would be a dagger; it has many uses and fighting styles. It can be thrown (thought throwing away a dagger that someone had to fight a bear for doesn't make since). In close condition this dagger could be used to slice open someone's stomach or cause a large gash, or possibly kill. In a knife fight it would probably be a good idea to use a knife, and any two year old would wield a knife (never said anything about being good at wielding it). The Blood Claw could also become the trademark tool of assassin that decides to do their work in the middle of the night; cutting open someone's throat with this weapon would be fairly easy.

History
This weapon is made from the claw of the Blood Bear. This huge beast is a challange to kill but for the one in a million that succede a wonderous weapon there is to be had. The claws of this beast are 8 nailsbreadth long, but they got another two nailsbreadth into this beasts paw. Once the beast is killed the claw can be removed. The Blood Claw is just was its names, the claw and knuckles bones of this rare beast.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2007, 02:29:41 by Garret Arroway » Logged

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2007, 02:58:01 »

Here comes a detailed check, let's see what we've got:

Yellow ... adjustments/changes
Orange ... comments
Grey ... unclear passages

Overview.
Overview section is missing! Should contain a short summary of the most important things mentioned in the entry. Ideal would be as well if you mention in which weapon category this one can be placed.

Description.
The point of this slightly curved claw (a beast's claw? something that is formed like a claw? please specifiy here in this first sentence already!) is as sharp as a sword, but the claw itself could be carved and shaped until it is mostly straight. The edge of the claw can also be sharpened. The knuckle bones of this great beast (Well, until this line you haven't mentioned a beast at all! So the reader doesn't really know what you're talking about...) becomes the handle and must be wrapped many times in touch stirps (do you mean "strips"? what are "touch strips"?) of sturdy leather to form a grip. The process of making this blade takes time like any blade would and the outcome is wonderous.

When finished it would look like the claw of a great bear (because that is what it is (not very clearly expressed!)), thought slightly straightened and sharpened so where the slightest pressure against the blade could cut. Though this blade becomes very sharp it will become dull swiftly and after a few years the blade will become little more than a decoration. The point is slightly curved so it could dig into the skin of an opponent and rip through the flesh easily. The handle may appear to just be leather, but at the bottom the end of the bear's knuckle bone would appear a pale white. As time passes the leather would form to fit the owner's hand, creating a dagger beyond compare. The dagger is almost a palmspan in length.

(You don't specify any measurements and the description still is rather vague. When you write: "The point of this slightly curved claw is as sharp as a sword" then does that mean that there is a bear claw taken and a blade attached to it? Do you wear it like a glove? You don't make it easy for the reader to get what you mean...)

Usage.
This blade could be used like any other dagger. In a tight spot, close conditions, or a knife fight. This ordinary but extraordinary weapon has many uses and can easily fit in anywhere. The only downside of this weapon is the way of obtaining it. Sure it could probably be purchased somewhere at an extravagant price because some fool decides to take a shoot at a Blood Bear and somehow survived. Took the time to turn the remaining claws into the blade and decided to sell them and make a fortune. But how often is that going to happen? (Don't know if this written so well. With all that fools deciding to just go for a Blood Bear just for fun and "somehow" survive... Not very Compendium-like.)

Fighting Style.
This blade would be a dagger (I still have no idea how it actually looks and why we need to have a claw...); it has many uses and fighting styles. It can be thrown (though throwing away a dagger that someone had to fight a bear for doesn't make sense (if you throw a dagger you don't intend to throw it away! You go back and retrieve it...). In close condition this dagger could be used to slice open someone's stomach or cause a large gash, or possibly kill. In a knife fight it would probably be a good idea to use a knife, and any two year old would wield a knife (never said anything about being good at wielding it) (don't understand this part really, think it isn't very helpful neither). The Blood Claw could also become the trademark tool of assassin that decides to do their work in the middle of the night(could? we're not talking about possibilities here. Maybe there was a famous assassins group who use that as a sign? If so, name it.); cutting open someone's throat with this weapon would be fairly easy.

History
This weapon is made from the claw of the Phár'már Pacór, or Blood Bear. This huge beast is a challenge to kill but for the one in a million that succede a wonderous weapon there is to be had (please rephrase). The claws of this beast are 8 nailsbreadth long, but they got another two nailsbreadth into this beasts paw. Once the beast is killed the claw can be removed. The Blood Claw is just was its names, the claw and knuckles bones of this rare beast. (These last sentences have nothing to with History and should be added to the Appearance/Decription section. Here you could write about the tribe(s) that killed the blood bear and that they used the claws, maybe as some sort of gloves first and as signs to show others their strength that they could defeat such bears etc. - and from that eventually that weapon developed. Something like that.)

So I see there is still a lot to do, Garret! At the moment there are a bunch of problems to be taken care of and make this weapon easier to understand.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ruil Mallister

Gained Aura: 0

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2007, 14:18:59 »

I decided to read this entry, and a couple things confused me.

First off, you seem to be using the terms "dagger" and "knife" as synonymous for one another.  Daggers and knives are as different as a gladius and a rapier.  Daggers are double-edged blades intended more for stabbing or thrusting, where a knife is meant for cutting.  In your entry, you say that this claw is curved.  I'm going to assume that you mean it's like a knife.

Another thing. You say it's a palmspan long, but a palmspan is 3 inches.  If the whole thing is 3 inches long, then that's barely enough to hold.  And if the blade is 3 inches long, then that's smaller than most pocket knives.  And why would you use bone over metal?  Having to kill a bear to get this weapon, only for it to be "dulled easily."  What is the point of creating this weapon?  Does it mean something to a specific tribe or race?  Is it bragging rights that you killed a bear?

As Arti pointed out, you have some work left in regards to how this weapon came into being.  I would encourage you to think about the practicality of such a weapon, as it is very unlikely for an unpractical weapon to be used, especially if it takes effort or money to get.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 97
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!