Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Hunters Lament / Remusian Tavern Song  (Read 4082 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 28 October 2007, 02:34:08 »

I have wriiten and recorded a Remusian tavern drinking song, The Hunter's Lament.  Click Here to hear it while you read the words, which I have included here below. 

Overview:  This song is a popular tavern song in the city of Remusiat and other Remusian locales.  It was written by a Remusian bard named Tahllen Vuffsein about 1597, and has stayed popular through the years.

Lyrics:

Out here on the frozen snow
Hunting Wison herds I go
Caught out in a Zekar wind
Lost in a place Iíve never been

And Iíll never see her smile again

Oh, Iíll never see her smile again,
Never touch her hand again
Koríoch knows Iíd rather be there
Running my fingers through her hair

But Iíll never see her smile again

Home is where I should be at
With her back there in Remusiat
But a Hunterís life is what I live
Now thereís nothing that I wouldnít give

Just to see her lovely smile again

Oh Iíll never see her smile again,
Iíll never touch her skin again

And Out hereís where Iíll freeze to death
But as I draw my final breath
A tear just fell from my eye
Though I am not afraid to die

Cuz I just saw her smile again

Oh Iíll never see her smile again,
Iíll never kiss her lips again

Variations:  The version heard here is just the plain one used by most bards.  However, many different versions have been made, and in fact, a favorite game of bards is to make up more verses while playing the song.  One such bard, though history failed to record his name, was rumoured to have sung an unbelievable 54 verses to a very enthusiasic crowd.  Another trick bards use on this song is to try to speed up the tempo to see who can sing it as fast as possible, all the while encouraging the crowd to sing along with it.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2008, 05:57:12 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2007, 17:26:45 »

Love it love it love it!    Altario darlin', I'm going to be in Canada for Christmas (and all of January...)

Is there any possible smidgen of a fraction of a chance that we could meet - and record something together?  I'd find the time and money if you could!  Email me...

I - again - couldn't resist adding harmony, and this time percussion.   I'm afraid the quality, of course, is execrable, but listen and see how catchy it is even with a simple beat behind it!  Wouldn't it be fun to do a REAL jam session?   

« Last Edit: 28 October 2007, 17:29:48 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2007, 17:31:34 »

P.S.  Download, then select 'Windows Media Player' from the list of options to play this, if you have any difficulties!   Again, apologies that I can only seem to DL a short clip (1000 KB or less) and that it's such abominable quality....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2007, 22:37:27 »

Yea! Bravo! Played Alt's last night up loud for everybody. Applause from everybody! Played the bards version this morning. Yea! Just wish your recording abilities were better Judith. I liked your voice with Alt's on the last one but they're so short and a little scratchy background sound comes through, but I like what you do. Oh, just in case you sang with this one  I couldn't hear it,  only the drums.

Altario, from your accent I think I must be Remusian too. lol

grin  thumbup
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2007, 23:44:51 »

Okie-dokie - I downloaded a free sound recorder (Free Hi-Q Recorder) and did some overdubbing with my voice as descant, drum, and my voice as tenor.  I know the balance sucks, but the sound quality is definitely better - though there's too much background hiss for the site - so you can get an idea of the harmony here!

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2007, 01:16:09 »

If there is a link in that last message Judith, I cannot see it.

Thank you very much for the praise, you two.  A jam session does sound very fun Judith.  Canada is a large place, where are you gonna be?  I will be starting a new phase of my employment very soon (sometime before the new year), so it will be taking up a lot more of my time while I get acquainted with new paperwork, etc, so not sure of my free time, but let me know when and where and I will see what can be done.  Is that Free Hi-Q Recorder good?  I am using Sound right now.  It is pathetic, but am looking to find something better.  The drums and your harmony do make it much catchier.

Drucilla, you have an Albertan accent too??  And who did you play it for?
« Last Edit: 29 October 2007, 03:25:26 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2007, 02:19:37 »

That's a Canadian accent? I never would have guessed. However I can think of a few Bluegrass bands that would take you in a heart beat. Love the song and your singing.

I can't find the link either, Alterio. I am waiting impationately for I could only hear the drums on the first. grin
« Last Edit: 29 October 2007, 02:24:17 by Drucilla Sablewolffe » Logged
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2007, 08:51:43 »

I've emailed the whole song ( :D ) to Art and hopefully he'll post it for me - even zipped I can't seem to dl the file.   

I'll be in Ontario, Alt - Toronto and St. Thomas mainly.  I take it you're in Alberta?

If we can't set up a rendezvous this winter, my whole family may be back in the summer of 2008, so we could arrange to fly into - or out of - Calgary and spend a week or so there.   Or perhaps we can even arrange a Canadian Santhmoot in Toronto, and attend the Renaissance Fair in August....    :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2007, 20:20:03 »

Here's the file Judy sent! Right-click on it and then click on "Save As..." - Sorry for the incovenience of having you resend it, Judy - Outlook on my notebook likes to swallow larger files suspecting dubious sources everywhere, but now I could finally download it via webmail :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2007, 04:17:33 »

Does Petros have permission to add a harp part in the background?... rolleyes heart hug

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2007, 20:06:11 »

You're always welcome to play, edit, alter, and comment on anything posted on the Dev Board - that is, after all, what it's for....   and Alt and I are both just having fun!

I do love harp, and it worked very well for the first piece, and would probably work for many of the compositions onsite.   This one, though, seems to ask for drum and perhaps whistle, in a high descant.  Barbarians aren't much on the harp, after all.  :)

Can you do any other instrument, Petros?  And were you playing in 'reality' or was that a digital harp last time?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2007, 22:35:15 »

Of course, Petros.  Add anything you wish. grin

Uhm, you calling me a Barbarian??   hmmm... and we havent even been married yet..... thats usually reserved for my exes.... evil

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2007, 16:58:37 »

Didn't have much time to comment properly here, but finally I'm in my new flat and can go through what I've missed in the last weeks. So I start from top to bottom:

Great song, Altario! Fine lyrics, description and quite decent recording. The only problem seems to lie in the latter however, as it requires to turn up the volume quite a bit to be able to properly hear it, and you get some noise in the background in the background. If you can find a solution to increase your voice volume and reduce the noise, it would be perfect - but I have no experience in the field of recording stuff on a computer.  thumbup

Judy's rhythmical percussion additions she posted are also brilliant I think. :D Really adds to the whole song. Unfortunately the sound quality here is, well, er... humble.

Also the last version with percussion and Judy's voice added now as well, makes the whole song absolutley wonderful. The two voices harmonize fantastically, absolutely stunning outcome! clap If it wasn't for the sound quality - which doesn't get better upon recording a voice over another one, where the sound quality isn't 100% in the first place. So yeah, maybe something can be done in this direction, because if we find a way to properly record things we'd have wonderful voices here with Altario and Judy - and Alysse is also not to be forgotten ;) - Great work at any rate, problems only lie in technical difficulties, not in the creativity demonstrated here! thumbup

A Canadian jam session with our great singers would be truly fascinating by the way! I'd be all for it!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]