Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Artificial Brownie Wings (Lleeterrs)  (Read 7623 times)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2007, 01:48:51 »

As I said in the IRC ~ yes please!

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2007, 23:52:11 »

Everything apart from the fairy tale has been added, so I have raised the ! for comments.  Though I'm not sure about the ending of the poem....and I might have another bash at rewording the overview... :)

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2007, 04:54:25 »

I think the term you're looking for as regards the mica additions is "inlaid", i.e. you might say that  the frames are often inlaid with Fay-glass (or whatever you call it) or pieces of the pearlescent interior of a tryster shell (which is, according to the entry "coated with nacre, or "pearl-father", a shining iridescent substance..." and would make a lovely inlay as well.)

Just my two sans worth,

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2007, 18:11:56 »

Why thankyou Alysse.  Actually I was thinking they would stick the bits of Mica straight onto the wing fabric, but I like the inlaying idea better so I'm going to change it to that  lol

And I'll just go have a look at the tryster shell...

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2007, 10:23:45 »

Mica is a rock which comes in extremely thin, translucent, 'sheets' or flakes.  Do a Google for pictures... :)

It can be picked apart with the fingernail and broken by hand as it's quite soft and delicate, and very light-weight.  (Crafters are beginning to integrate it into scrapbooking, for example.)  It ranges in colour from a dark metallic shimmer through silvery and golden tints to almost completely clear.  This would be a material perfect for Brownie use, not only as decorations on their wings, but as window inserts (as the small sizes it comes in renders it useless for similar human applications but would be perfect for Brownies!)

Not true, didn't tv screens used to be made out of Mica? (no, that's oven doors. Mica is heat resistant apparently, though still highly transparent. If you got it right you'd have a handy little form of Pyrex or something (though you couldn't curve it.)

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2007, 15:49:22 »

Surely if it can be made into oven doors, Mica would be perfectly durable enough for beads?
« Last Edit: 14 November 2007, 15:53:39 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 14 November 2007, 21:07:26 »

Let me clarify: it's very delicate in one dimension and very tough in others.  It also ranges in toughness depending upon the thickness - it can come in fingernail-thin flakes or huge thick 'sheets'.  Please see below for the technical qualities of mica, which suggest all kinds of usages not solely by the Brownies of Caelereth!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is MICA?

The dictionary defines mica as "A class of silicates having a prismatic angle 120o, eminently perfect basal cleavage, affording thin tough laminate or scales, colorless to jet black, transparent to translucent, of widely varying chemical composition, and crystallizing in the monoclinic system".

In brief, mica is a generic term applied to a group of a complex alumina-silicate minerals having a sheet or plate like structure with different chemical compositions and physical properties. All micas from from flat six-sided mono-clinical crystals with a remarkable cleavage in the direction of the large surfaces, which permits them to split easily into optically flat films, as thin as one micron in thickness. When split into thin films, they remain tough and elastic even at high temperature.

What makes MICA so important to command such a unique position? Because it had been gifted with exceptional values. MICA possesses some of the most outstanding combination of chemical, physical, electrical, thermal and mechanical properties which are not found in any other product.

Physically: Mica is transparent, optically flat, easily splittable into thin films along its cleavage, colorless in thin sheets, resilient and incompressible.

Chemically: Mica is a complex hydrous silicate of aluminum, containing potassium, magnesium, iron, sodium fluorine and/or lithium and also traces of several other elements. It is stable and completely inert to the action of water, acids (except hydro-fluoric and concentrated sulphuric) alkalis, conventional solvents, oils and is virtually unaffected by atmospheric action.

*Electrically: Mica has the unique combination of great dielectric strength, uniform dielectric constant and capacitance stability, low power loss (high Q factor), high electrical resistively and low temperature coefficient and capacitance. It is noted for its resistances to arc and corona discharge with no permanent injury, and has little or no effect when exposed to electronic radiation dosages up to 1018 nvt. Thus maintaining its a-c dielectric material when exposed to the oxidizing action of electrical discharges either on the surface or within internal gas spaces in built-up mica insulation.

Thermally: Mica is fire proof, infusible, incombustible and non-flammable and can resist temperatures of 600oC to 900oC (1112oF to 1652oF) depending on the type of mica. It has low heat conductivity, excellent thermal stability and may be exposed to high temperatures without noticeable effect.

Mechanically: Mica is relatively soft and can be hand cut, machined or die-punched. It is flexible, elastic and tough, having high tensile strength. It can withstand great mechanical pressure perpendicular to plane but the lamination have cleavage and can be easily split into very thin leaves.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 November 2007, 21:22:49 »

Thankyou very much Judy, thats helped a lot.  I'm getting a far clearer picture of the rock now :)  I've never heard of anything like it before.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2007, 11:49:39 »

This is an extremely creative, and as Judith said charming entry. I can just picture a brownie gliding down to the ground from their lofty homes. One thing I would like to know is if the childrens set of wings is used very often, if at all. If it is used often do these children decorate it just as heavily as non-functional wings? Anyaways greatwork Rookie  thumbup grin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2007, 16:03:21 »

Yes the children use wings just as much as the adults (think along the lines of a bicycle), though not young children.  Sort of from age 9/10 onwards?  So maybe "children" is the wrong word.

And all the wing sets are in fact functional, though a very few are designed more for decorative/ceremonial purposes than for practicality and would be rather stiff and hard to fly, but possible.  The difference between the decorations on these and the childrens, is that these ones are decorated by the professionals of the Brightler clan, whilst the children just stick random pretty stuff onto theirs.

Could you point out the passages which led you to these conclusions? Then I could go and do some rewording  ;)

Unfortunately I won't be around until tuesday, as I'm off back to Leeds for a weekend, so I won't be adding or editing until then.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2007, 09:00:54 »

That's quite alright Rookie. As for the paragraphs that led me to these assumptions they were the Overview's second half of the whole thing, and the part in the description that talks about this (sorry if this sounds unclear I just have a hard time distinguishing paragraphs). Anyways thanks for considering my comments.  grin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2007, 20:07:10 »

Cheers I'll have a little bit of a reread this afternoon  ;)

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 23 November 2007, 04:32:43 »

Hey, this looked good before and still got better as I see, Rookie! :D We've got an update this weekend and if possible I'd like to take that in! Some things here and there still need to be set it, replaying the ...., but the rest looks cool  grin - So, can we finish this one up?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2007, 17:52:45 »

You update on Sunday right? I should be able to finish all my bits by saturday afternoon (Central European Time) at the lastest.  Only thing is I'm waiting on a story title from our dearest Irid, so I'll go and poke her Poked!

Oo I'm excited now! :P

Edit: Been through, added in the name "Lleeterrs", plus an explanation, and did a little rephrasing here and there.  I'll read through it once more tonight as a last spelling check, then I will be satisfied.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 19:17:54 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 24 November 2007, 00:39:34 »

Yay! :D I'll take it then tomorrow and will prepare it, Rookie! Thanks for such a dedicated contribution :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 109
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)