Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Waybread  (Read 6274 times)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« on: 12 November 2007, 05:10:00 »

Name of Food or Beverage

Waybread (Yolk-Bread, Wayfarer’s Bread, Travelbread, Seras Loaf)

Overview

Waybread is a type of flatbread, sometimes made with eggs, usually made by soldiering companies on the roads throughout Santharia. The recipe is quite simple, though varies from province to province, and even between continents. The most common is a type of light, airy flat bread, cooked on whatever is handy, be it rock or camp stove.

Description

Many a soldier has subsisted for weeks on little but iron rations and waybread, with the daily dip into their water supplies. Because waybread keeps so well, it can be carried for long distances. The variations on waybread are numerous. The Eyelians, due to their animal companions, have been known to use eggs in the waybread, giving a distinct yellow colouration to the bread The Cenotaurians make a particular form of the bread using spices to season it, such as rosemint and basiloc. Because of the unfortunate problems with carrying yeast over long distances in various climates, the bread cannot be baked with yeast and is made flat.

Usages/Effects
Waybread can be eaten at any time during the day, and is typically prepared at noon. The bread is eaten for the noon meal and whatever is left over may be eaten while traveling. A second batch is cooked in the embers of the fire that night, and may be eaten then or preserved for eating in the morning.

Origin of the Food or Beverage

Deep in the nomadic past of the Cenotaurians is said to originate the waybread. With such a mobile culture it is very difficult to carry yeast or cultivate wheat. The simplest thing to do is trade for the flour required and make flat bread. The bread is quite simple to make and does well for large group as it can be made quickly without an oven or a fire depending on the time of day. The bread is usually eaten in the morning when camp is being broken so the men have something to keep their strength up during the day aside from water.

Method of Preparation

Waybread is simple flour and water. The flour and water are mixed to form dough. The dough can be cooked on whatever available hot surface, be it a flat rock, or a makeshift oven, or even a shield, should the sun be kind, or unkind as it were; this method does however take longer. The waybread is left to cook, either in the sun or over a flame for about 20 minutes. After this point the bread may be eaten immediately. Spices may be added to the dough during the mixing process, rosemint and basiloc are quite common, many add cheese on the bread by way of flavoring.

Importance

Waybread is a widespread and incredibly diverse food. It is a staple of any traveling company’s diet due to its ease of production and relative durability as a food. It is believed that many cultures have at one time developed their own version of waybread independently of each other. Variations exist from the Santharian hinterlands to Nybelmar.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 13:15:15 by Niccoli » Logged

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2007, 05:52:13 »

Hey Inkear, one look through as asked for.  I can't say I've got everything, or that everything I've mentioned needs to be added, but these were just my thoughts whilst reading through.

Name of Food or Beverage

Waybread (Whey-Bread, Wayfarer’s Bread)

Overview

Waybread is a type of flatbread, sometimes made with eggs, usually made by soldiering companies on the roads throughout Santharia. The recipe is quite simple, though varies from province to province, and even between continents. The most common is a type of light, airy, flat bread, cooked on whatever is handy, be it rock or camp stove.

Description

Many a soldier has subsisted for weeks on little but iron rations and waybread, with the occasional dip into their water supplies. People need water more often than they need food.Because waybread keeps so well, it can be carried for long distances. The variations on waybread are numerous. The Eyelians, due to their animal companions, have been known to use eggs in the waybread, giving it a distinct yellow colouration to the bread. The cenotaurians make a particular form of the bread <~ try using a different word for bread hereusing spices to season it, such as rosemint and basiloc. Because of the unfortunate problems with carrying yeast over long distances in various climates, the bread cannot be baked with yeast and is made flat.

Usages/Effects
Waybread can be eaten at any time during the day, and is typically prepared at noon. Any reason? The bread is eaten for the noon meal and whatever is left over may be eaten while travelling. A second batch is cooked in the embers of the fire that night, and may be eaten then or preserved for eating in the morning. Well then isn't it prepared typically at noon and in the evening?

Deep in the nomadic past of the cenotaurians is said to originate the waybread. This sentence could do with rephrasing.  With such a mobile culture it is very difficult to carry yeast or cultivate wheat. The simplest thing to do is trade for the flour required and make flat bread. The bread is quite simple to make and does well does well? for large group as it can be made quickly without an oven or a fire depending on the time of day. The bread is usually eaten in the morning when camp is being broken maybe "whilst breaking camp"? so the men have something to keep their strength up during the day aside from water.  Also it seems like it is usually eaten at all times of the day.....

Method of Preparation

Waybread is simple flour and water. The flour and water are mixed to form a dough. The dough can be cooked on whatever available hot surface, be it a flat rock, or a makeshift over, or even a shield. The waybread is left to cook, either in the sun or over a flame for about 20 minutes. After this point the bread may be eaten immediately. Spices may be added to the dough during the mixing process. Such as...?

Importance

Waybread is a widespread and incredibly diverse food. Do you mean versitile?  Actually I'm not sure, you could have meant diverse :P It is a staple of any traveling company’s diet due to it’s ease of production and relative durability as a food. It is believed that many cultures have at one time developed their own version of waybread independently of each other. Variations exist from the Santharian hinterlands to Nybelmar.

Have a newbie thumbs up!  I shall certainly be spreading my cheese on this useful little product :)

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Val O´Neil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2007, 14:59:18 »

I believe that a person can survive almost up to ten days without food, whereas a person can only go up to three days without something to drink.  ^_~  I could be wrong on how many days it is... But water is still, by far, much more necessary than food is when it comes to extended periods of time without them.

Mainly because your body's stored fat is taken and used when you don't eat for an extended time and, when the fat is at it's maximum low, your body will begin to break down your muscles for nourishment to keep itself alive. However, your body is mostly made up of water and, since it can't make water, you have to replenish it by drinking. Without a reasonable amount of water (or some other substance that would rehydrate your body) to drink (which is more than just a sip of water per day) there is a high probability that you would die of dehydration.

~_^  Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Anyhow, just trying to be helpful.  *Dances away to work on something constructive.*
« Last Edit: 12 November 2007, 15:02:38 by Noxie » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2007, 21:00:41 »

Rule of threes.
Minutes without air
Days without water
Weeks without food.

Please note I'd fixed that. (While you were looking the other day)

-Salvor Hardin
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2007, 06:19:06 »

Hey Niccoli!

...many add cheese on the bread by way of flavoring.

In a soldiering company, or in any traveling company where rations are in such a short supply as to need Waybread, do you think they would have access to cheese? I can understand the Cenotaurians access to spices, but cheese seems less likely. Maybe the Eyelians... not sure.

The recipe is quite simple, though varies from province to province, and even between continents.

So far pretty sure you have only mentioned Santharia. Were you hoping to incorporate other continents? The Eyelians arrived from Nybelmar, so perhaps they brought it with them and have changed and shared the recipe over time.

So far, looks like a well thought out entry. Nice job!

« Last Edit: 20 November 2007, 06:21:20 by Drúadan » Logged

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2007, 08:36:24 »

I'm assuming it works the same way that modern foccacia (which by the way now typically has some kind of grated parmesan cheese) does. Older foccacia might have somesort of seasoning. I'll make sure to poke at it.

-Salvor Hardin
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2007, 09:06:33 »

I took a quick look at foccacia. thumbup Looks good. But incidently, the herbs and cheese: are the mixed in with the dough or added as a seperate layer on top? Foccacia can be createdi nboth ways, so I'm curious how the herbs would be used here.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2007, 21:05:40 »

I this, I'd wager they're mixed in the dough.

-Salvor Hardin
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2007, 22:33:53 »

Yeah, much more efficient, and the cheese is thus integral to the waybread and not a separate 'luxury' (though the dry cheeses are very sturdy and almost indestructible, not to mention the simplest way to transport milk yet invented!)

Now, do we have pemmican?  Seems to me someone wrote an entry on the stuff, so it should be cross-referenced here as another 'iron ration' / travel food.   If I can remember what it's called in Santharia, I'll post it here for you...

Did I say I like this entry?  :thumbsup

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2007, 22:57:38 »

Oh, please add 'Travelbread' to the list of this foodstuff's alternate names, as it is so referenced in the Cheeses entry.   

You could note that many of our Santharian cheeses also travel well, so would indeed be part of travel rations for most merchants, soldiers/sailors, and other wayfarers.

Still looking for pemmican.  I think Alysse was involved in writing it, so I'll ask her to have a look-in!   I might even have been the original culprit, but I can't seem to find the entry!  (blushes)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2007, 09:34:50 »

I'd have suggested that it was on top, the cheese. The seasoning however would have been mixed into the dough, so it continued to add flavour (and so it didn't mess up your pack.)

-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2007, 03:32:10 »

Some notes:

- "soldiering companies" - "company" isn't really a very medieval term now, eh?

- In this Description section you don't really tell us much about its appearance, maybe you should add that and perhaps mention how slightly varying versions change in appearance as well.

- "giving it a distinct yellow colouration to the bread" should be "giving () a distinct yellow colouration to the bread ", and "cenotaurians" is actually "Centoraurians" (mentioned twice).

- Is there perhaps a "Santharian version", one that is spread mostly over the kingdom and is there a special name for it, e.g. something you could ask for in Nyermersys and in Strata? Maybe the name refers in a way to what the kingdom is . Like: A diagonal cross could be cut into the bread, so that it is easier to break parts from it, and it could be called "Fourhander" - you can hand the 4 parts to 4 people, plus the Santharian symbol is made out of 4 hands holding each other. Just a suggestion. Or there might be a special name for the Centoraurian version, or the Eyelian one.

- How long is the bread eatable in general?

That't pretty much it. Nice entry, Niccoli , and good to hear from you again! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2007, 23:41:19 »

Also if you would like a specific reference for Nybelmar...The Zhunites would most probably have some kind of staple bread like this one...Mentioning Zhunites like Karakanites (the most militaristic ones) might be a good idea.....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2007, 06:33:26 »

Give me a name for the stuff and I'd be happy to mention Nybelmar.

-Salvor Hardin
Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2007, 07:07:09 »

My comments will be in a lovely green.  grin

Waybread (Yolk-Bread, Wayfarer’s Bread, Travelbread)

Overview

Waybread is a type of flatbread, sometimes made with eggs, usually made by soldiering companies on the roads throughout Santharia. I believe you say it is also eaten in Nybelmar The recipe is quite simple, though varies from province to province, and even between continents. The most common is a type of light, airy flat bread, cooked on whatever is handy, be it rock or camp stove.

Description

Many a soldier has subsisted for weeks on little but iron rations and waybread, with the daily dip into their water supplies. The water problem still needs fixing, I would think traveling soldiers would need water more than once a day. Because waybread keeps so well, it can be carried for long distances. The variations on waybread are numerous. The Eyelians, due to their animal companions, have been known to use eggs in the waybread, giving it a distinct yellow colouration to the bread. The cenotaurians make a particular form of the bread using spices to season it, such as rosemint and basiloc. Because of the unfortunate problems with carrying yeast over long distances in various climates, the bread cannot be baked with yeast and is made flat.

Usages/Effects
Waybread can be eaten at any time during the day I would suggest changing this sentence and start off by saying Waybread is typically prepared at noon, not Waybread can be eaten at anytime of the day because when you here it it's like "Duh!", and is typically prepared at noon. The bread is eaten for the noon meal and whatever is left over may be eaten while traveling. A second batch is cooked in the embers of the fire that night, and may be eaten then or preserved for eating in the morning.I highly doubt the embers of a fire would be hot enough to cook bread  

Deep in the nomadic past of the cenotaurians is said to originate the waybread. I would suggest changing this sentence. With such a mobile culture it is very difficult to carry yeast or cultivate wheat. The simplest thing to do is trade for the flour required and make flat bread. The bread is quite simple to make and does well for large group as it can be made quickly without an oven or a fire depending on the time of day. The bread is usually eaten in the morning when camp is being broken so the men have something to keep their strength up during the day aside from water.

Method of Preparation

Waybread is simple flour and water. The flour and water are mixed to form dough. The dough can be cooked on whatever available hot surface, be it a flat rock, or a makeshift oven, or even a shield, should the sun be kind, or unkind as it were; this method does however take longer. The waybread is left to cook, either in the sun  or over a flame for about 20 minutes. I highly doubt the sun can cook bread in 20 minutes After this point the bread may be eaten immediately. Spices may be added to the dough during the mixing process, rosemint and basiloc are quite common, many add cheese on the bread by way of flavoring.

Importance

Waybread is a widespread and incredibly diverse food. It is a staple of any traveling company’s diet due to its ease of production and relative durability as a food. It is believed that many cultures have at one time developed their own version of waybread independently of each other. Variations exist from the Santharian hinterlands to Nybelmar.

Good entry  grin, the ony problems are some technical mistakes.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]