Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Xaramon Master Plan Discussion  (Read 14621 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2008, 15:53:55 »

Well, I don't really plan to list more than a few of the non-city settlements, and even then just the more notable ones.  Otherwise, I suspect there might not be much room for anything else.   lol  We can just assume that enough of them exist to support the cities we have, no?   :)

Hmm, I don't know if 20,000 is enough for Ximax.  As I said in the other thread, it was historically either independent or quite autonomous, depending on the period, controlling the whole peninsula (or at least the parts easily accessible to humans).  So, one of my concerns is that it, or at least the area it controls, has enough people that it can field a strong enough army to hold its lands.  It's not so bad during those times it was part of Centorauria, but even then, it's at the far end of Centoraurian territory, and in any case the mages might not want to be too dependent on outside protection.  Perhaps there is some way we could increase the population?  I did put a river there, if it helps. 

Chlorapleth?  What's that?   veryconfused

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 December 2008, 00:56:57 »

Its a map that uses color to indicate something- you know those population density maps, with the cities colored purple and the bush, or the outback, or he tundra all pale yellow or grey?
It would essentially be a more obvious visual representation of population density.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Ringan

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 December 2008, 07:12:17 »

Not sure what the plural for chlorapleth is (nice word! thanks for the education!)

Ximax: even if you doubled the population, traditionally you can only count on 5 to 10% of the population to fight (another 20% maybe in untrained militia - i.e., every abled bodied male of age), so you have only added 2000 soldiers tops, which is a drop in the bucket so far as controlling the province goes.  Great empires usually have something else holding them together other than brute force - e.g., the Holy Roman Empire had a common heritage and church, while others had roads and mercantile infrastructure. Yet others have had cultural sway. Anyhow, most of the soldiers are likely from the country in any case, since there is where most of the population can be found.

My guess is that the combination of awe inspiring pyrotechnical illusions combined with a fair amount of genuine magical power for the hordes who remain unimpressed coupled with a really first rate diplomatic corp that keeps the various factions balanced against each other... most the last really!  A natural reason for Ximax having the leadership role in the province can be summed up in "who else could do it?"  I can well imagine the South Coast (probably the most powerful region) and the North Lake districts never accepting the other as sovereign over them. Add the nomadic central tribes with as a third, and there is no way they would be willing to bow to one of the other.  But a little scholarly town out on the peninsula, with just enough force and power to be impressive, and quite defensible itself as history showed, but of a culture and kind quite different, one who was also not bent on micromanaging the different peoples, but primarily interested in preventing large scale war and maintaining general order throughout the province... All the different peoples of the province might very willingly bow to them as a first amongst equals.

Sometimes it is the small and the passive that can have the most authority and control.  Just my two silver pennies.

May the ever evolving dream shower love, riches and joy upon you this Xmas.
Ringan
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2008, 14:48:33 »

No, no, not controlling the whole province.   lol  I meant just the peninsula it's on, which should be much easier than controlling the whole province, especially since most of the peninsula is mountains that are pretty much inaccessible to humans anyway.  Historically, it was mostly a fairly autonomous part of Centorauria, and there were at least two times I can remember when it was independent; once when Centorauria broke up, and another time when Centorauria was weakened by a war and the Ximaxians for some reason decided to seek independence.  So, I'm more looking for how it might be able to hold its historical territory (more or less the area in plum on the map), especially during those times it was independent. 

As for why it's the provincial capital, I've outlined that as well.  It's pretty much what you have mentioned, though I think not as active in governing the province (that's mostly what the Dukes do). 

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2009, 23:48:47 »

Hi Mina

I'm going to pick up the Shivering woods and the Vontron bring them into line with your master plan. It would be good to fix in our minds what the climate of the region is before I start.

The Votron Entry talks about the region being temperate - no snow, but storms in winter.  However, Horth is on a steppe land, with good fertile grazing. That doesn't really make sense as Stepplands are normally where there is there is not enough water for tree growth, but not dry enough to be forest.

There are no major features to explain why storms would reach the forest and no further. No good reason for a rain shadow effect. It makes far more sense for the forest to be fed by underground streams that feed and flow from the Aerlian lakes to the north. Eleven forests can have slightly different micro climates so happy for it to continue to be slightly warmer than surroundings, with no snow. Would just take the storms away.

XImax reads: The temperature here varies immensely with the seasons. From the blistering inferno of the summer, to the chill breezes of autumn, to the frigid, icy winters, and to the unceasing deluge that is spring; Ximax is never entirely comfortable. Still, a certain peace is always present. Though some of the guilds maintain boats for the typical spring downpours, there is a rare calmness in falling rain in Ximax. Likewise, in oppressive heat or cold, the mind almost literally flees to higher thought. And though the weather in autumn is not particularly pleasant, the unique beauty of the ripening fields and orchards cannot be denied...

Typical Xarl never makes things easy! But its a great entry and I'd like to keep it, it kinda makes sense against the idea of a continental steppe.

Does anyone have any input into the Climate thing please before I get started?
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2009, 16:51:40 »

Hi! 

Hmm, I'm not very sure about the climate of the region myself, aside from the obvious (eg. steppes being dry); I don't think it's been agreed yet what Santharia's climate is like. 

However, Horth is on a steppe land, with good fertile grazing. That doesn't really make sense as Stepplands are normally where there is there is not enough water for tree growth, but not dry enough to be forest.
Yeah.  I was thinking that maybe Horth could be at the edges of the steppe though, which is perhaps not as dry.  But mostly I'm just guessing. 

There are no major features to explain why storms would reach the forest and no further. No good reason for a rain shadow effect. It makes far more sense for the forest to be fed by underground streams that feed and flow from the Aerlian lakes to the north.
Just guessing again here, but maybe it has to do with distance, so the air runs out of moisture not too far from the forest?  I don't really know enough about geography to know if that could actually happen though.  Otherwise, yeah, removing the storms might be the best option. 

Would it be okay if instead of underground streams we have rivers on the surface instead, that link the lakes to the sea?  I'd already added one, but that can be changed if there are any objections.  Was originally just looking for a way for water to leave the lakes, and didn't think of underground streams. 

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2009, 06:09:28 »

However, Horth is on a steppe land, with good fertile grazing. That doesn't really make sense as Stepplands are normally where there is there is not enough water for tree growth, but not dry enough to be forest.
Well, not necessarily. After all, the middle east is only about half desert- the rest is steppe, and this is the region kn own as the birth of agricultural, and now dependent agriculturally on pastoral nomadism, or nomadic herding. So a steppe can still be good grazing land, maybe more suited for a slightly nomadic tribe. Maybe for this climate you could look at the "Stan" countries? Krygistan, Tajikstan, Uzbekistan, etc?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2009, 06:28:51 »

Well, I thought I would help to solve the ever returning question how the weather is like in certain areas with writing that general climate entry for Santharia. Local variations possible of course. I thought, that if older, already existing entries are due for a revision, that they cautiously could be adjusted to that general picture, but nobody seems to either notice or remember that entry. Why only has nobody objected when I wrote it?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2009, 11:30:50 »

I do remember it.  But there was that thread not too long ago discussing climate again, so I'm not sure how the situation is now. 

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2009, 17:27:19 »

I don't know either *sigh*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2009, 05:36:20 »

Its not an objection to your entry Talia - more an attempt to bring the individual entries into some semblance of order. all the entries in the region are very different so it would be appropriate, as you say to adjust them slightly to form a more cohesive whole.

But I'm anxious not to go forging ahead and make life dificult for a more cohesive climate entry or for Mina's master plan.

Nsiki: I'm not arguing its not good grazing land or agricultural land. Its on the map. It needs to stay.

I'm arguing that we need to find a good reason for the steppe to be there in the first place and that will require a certain amount of adjustment of the surrounding entries in the province to achieve it. The problem with the "Stan" countries: Krygistan, Tajikstan, Uzbekistan as examples is that they are continental interior Steppe.

Actually to be fair, that's the problem with the map. See - it can only be caused by Continental interior patterns if the prevailing wind comes from the east. If thats the case, then there is no good explanation for storms as the lakes really aren't big enough to act as a convection water source for them. And there's no mountains to explain a rain shadow effect if they are coming from the west.

But then I'm using a real world model. And thats not what we're dealing with :) So I really need an understanding of where the current santharian model of climate is at the moment and that's something I don't yet have time to really get to grips with. Hence the question! How detailed is that - do we have tides and currents or is it more general?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2010, 22:41:46 »

Hi Mina!

I am interested in perhaps writing up a Places entry on the Arwood. It would give me a chance to perhaps start some development on Arvins, his "temples" and clerics. I am not sure if we have any Arwoods defined anywhere in Santharia either. Did you have any ideas on this?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2010, 23:14:04 »

Not really.  I remember that I got the idea for putting an Arwood there from reading some Kyranian history, which involved Arvins and a forest somewhere in the area, and figuring that something like that probably made it an Arwood.  That's about it, I think. 

Well, maybe it could be one of the most important Arwoods in Santharia, since I don't recall any other forest being associated with such an important event.  But really, most of the places I came up with are not much more than placeholders at the moment, so I don't really mind what's done with them, as long as they make sense somehow.   :)

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2011, 04:48:00 »

The following quote is from the Xaramon Master Plan created by Mina, the Places and Geography post of the Masterplan can be found here.

Blue
  • Needs a name
  • A fairly typical duchy, by Santharian standards (but less so when compared with the other duchies in Xaramon)
  • The heart of the former Kyranian kingdom, except for the eastern and southern portions, which were Eyelian (at least at 482 b.S.)

Caelum:
  • A very large city (population about 100,000) located at the mouth of the Dorashi river
  • Known as El'Dorash very, very long ago (the Dorashi river apparently got its name from it)
  • Was the capital of Kyrania
  • Was and still is an important trading city, probably largely due to its location at the mouth of the Dorashi River
  • Also houses the biggest temple of Eyasha (see here), making it possibly quite important in religion as well

Naios:
  • Founded as a fortified town on a hill near the Wind Bay between 933 and 806 b.S. by Aprag Naios Dereswungen, and possibly named after him as well
  • Has since grown into a city

Blue City 2:
  • Probably has a fairly important naval base of some sort; that position looks relatively strategic
  • Needs a name, obviously

Blue Cities 1, 3, and 4:
  • A few more cities located along the coast, no plans beyond that for now
  • Need names too

As my Santharian kingdom focus is in and around the Kyranians, this seemed to be the most relevant duchy for me to focus on. :D

I was doing some thinking on this, and was wondering wihether a Duchy name that suggested the Kyranian roots of the Duchy would be appropriate. Through reading the Kyranian men tribal entry on site, this seems to be the area that is described there as being strongly Kyranian, with limited Centoraurian influences. Some suggestions I had for it are
  • Thromgol - based on 'Thromgolin' the name that the monarch of the Kyranian tribe had to secure within the first 10 years of their reign.
  • Kyresk - the process by which younger members of a noble family could challenge the current heir of the family for the title of heir of that family
  • Gilden - one of the kings of Kyrania of old, known as one of the scions of Thromgolin, who improved on the castle and who seems to have ruled jointly (or at the very least in consultation) with his two younger brothers.
  • Aborona - the name given by Gil's younger brothers to the lands of Kyrania
« Last Edit: 22 May 2011, 05:02:12 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2011, 05:04:50 »

I vote Gilden. :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1083
Latest: s3bast1an
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!