Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New paintings - Fabric  (Read 2002 times)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« on: 18 February 2008, 11:17:48 »

An image someone else was doing on deviantArt inspired me to see what I could do with bending patterns on fabric.  Turns out that I can't do much except what I can do with light, shading and size, but it I think these look ok.  I'm not sure where we might use them (Caltharians?  A future fabric-printing industry entry?), but I thought I would post them anyway  :)

Edit:  Yay, now with detail!  Click on pics to see it.

@Art:  I noticed I missed something you said in the toad thread - yep, it is a RAM problem - I'm only on a 286 laptop!  I've only got one USB port however, so it would be difficult to get outboard RAM too.  Something to save for in the future.  Then I can finally get around to playing Oblivion!
« Last Edit: 19 February 2008, 05:21:53 by Grunok the Exile » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2008, 12:22:01 »

Beautiful, Grunok!

I especially like the first one, the folds, shading and patterns are nicely delineated.  The second one is a lovely fabric, but the background is a bit unfocused--kind of fuzzy.  If you sharpen up the lines and wood graining a bit--maybe more contrast?  I have no idea how to do that, I'm no graphic artist.

Perhaps we could add them to the dye industry entry? Or the silk (Luan Moth) one?   Or, possibly, they could be of elven, gnomish, or hobbit manufacture--they don't have to be human-made.

Anyway, they are lovely.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2008, 13:17:46 »

Thanks!  I'm pleased you like them.  There is more detail in the wod grain in the bigger version - the way I have compressed this loses a lot of my detail :(

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2008, 14:52:58 »

Accursed Remusians and their crazy furs... I would love to get my hands on something that lovely.  Nice pics, Grun... I especially like the flimsy blue fabric.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2008, 15:30:05 »

I should have mentioned - you can view the full sized versions at grunok.deviantart.com!

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2008, 04:07:40 »

The first picture could be used for an entry that relates to royalty. Since purple is associated with royalty and so is gold. As for why they would have gold trees. There could be dozens of reasons ranging from historical and cultural to the king likes pictures of trees.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2008, 04:30:11 »

I like the way you did this, Grun, I think it looks marvellous! clap I wonder you you accomplished that, because the perspective effect looks really cool in both pics, and light and shadows make it just right :D - Seems your drawing skills are even more and more improving, so a big thanks to the one who gave you that tablet as a present, it obviously was also a brilliant investment for the future of Santharian illustrations!

Don't know yet where we could best use these pictures, as we don't have a Dye entry yet. They could be used as example of what Caltharians produce with their dyes though directly in the Caltharian entry. And other ideas perhaps?

On posting links to larger images: You should put both images e.g. on Photobucket (as I saw you put these pics there), then post the smaller one as you did it now. Then have a look at the Newbie guide to posting images, see here (4th question)! And that explains it :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2008, 05:24:45 »

Yay, this is much better!  Thanks Art!  I have done the linking thing, and am much happier.  Now you can see the details in the second one.

Also, I was talking to a friend and he pointed me to a tutorial on how to bend patterns on fabric, so I am not quite finished with making fabrics yet, it seems...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2008, 05:36:31 »

Yay, it's a waterstar! Now clearly visible indeed - lovely pattern, and also the other side effects look really nice :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2008, 03:20:38 »

Grun, the first one is nice (How do you the folding with the pattern on it, is it a 'effect' , a filter or whatever?), but the waterstar is really great (apart from the background)

Two tiny nitpicks:
I think, all fabrics are done by hand, even if you have a (big) handloom.
-  When something is made in such a painstacking way, I think they would not add halfpatterns at the edge. it looks anyway as if the waterstar is stitched on the silk by hand and not woven in, so this would even strengthen my argument.
- The fabric is slightly too even , the silk itself is not evenly woven and so some slightly thicker or thinner parts would make it more realistic.

But as I said, these are nitpicks, your background however spoils your work, sorry! As if you have put this expensive fabric on a mudground!

From an artists point, I would not take a brown background , but more a dark-blueish one, or green one, enforcing (?) the waterstar theme. Why don't you do an easteregg and try to use the background of the site? This marble-green one?

This one: http://www.santharia.com/dev/Themes/santharia/images/shell/background1.jpg

I don't know, if it works, but give it a try!

if you wish to integrate your pic (without mud background!), I would have an idea. Though my entry of the waterstar has already a picture, a second would not hurt. I could just add, that this fabric is often taken for wedding dresses, as the berries of the waterstar are related with lovers as well etc..

What do you think?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2008, 03:58:01 »

Yay, Talia!  Great to see you here!  hug  Thank you for the comments.h

The folds are actually only done with light and shadow!  The irregular nature of the pattern means I can get away with it without it being obvious, though if you look closely you can see it.  If I had used squares I never would have been able to make it look at all realistic!

I had imagined that the pattern was printed on with blocks and ink, like Jaipuri block printing in India, rather than sewn in, hence the fabric being quite flat.  Not that that makes any difference!  :)  I can get rid of the ones at the edge though.  I had considered doing that to start with, but the fabric looked a bit empty at the edges to me.  With a rationale I don't think that matters though, so I will put that on my list of things to fix when I work on it again.

I will also see if my meagre talents are up to creating some slubbing in the fabric.

My 'mud background' was supposed to be wood!  lol  I decided to go with a contrast colour to have it stand out, while also making it look like it could be on a table at the Caltharian fabric merchants' market.  I will try it on some different backgrounds though, and you can see what you think!  :)

I can't, however, promise quick movement on these things - I start a new job on Tuesday, and what with the rest of my busy little life at the moment I'm not sure what time I will have.  I will definitely have them on my 'things to do' list though  :)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]