Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Eratin's Windsinger  (Read 6588 times)
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2008, 06:55:58 »

In the new version, her proportions do look a bit off. It seems her upper body is way extended, to me. As in, the outline of her bottom seems to be a bit too low when you look at the rest of her back and where you'd expect her waist to be. Though as Arti said, that might just be because of where the belt is located causing the upper body as a whole to feel overextended. And agreed on the length of her calf compared to the length of her thigh being a bit off.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2008, 03:51:00 »

And another update here...

"Arty,

This version reflects observations made about body proportion and includes a little foliage from a nearby tree blowing around in the upper left. I adjusted her arms a bit as they struck me as slightly unnaturally positioned in the last version (cramping nice details like the elven ears and looking a bit stiff), and now pick up important rhythms from the hills and clouds much more effectively. Lemme know what you think and thanks to you and the others for great insight!

Everything will need a little nudging towards "finish" btw, and the figure will be a fair bit more realistic, with some emphasis placed on details in the flowing dress and cape.....

The whole painting is on layers now. Would you like a psd copy so you can perhaps pull some elements out for other purposes?

I might use this pic for demonstration purposes in an upcoming Painter magazine spread concerning color management, if you grant permission.  I will of course offer up a brief and excessively positive description of the Santharian Dream, and a link. 110 countries get the mag...... (this would ensure the completion date being less than two weeks away,  ha ha!)

Cheers,
Eratin"

(click on image to enlarge)

Comments from here:

Thanks for the latest version, Eratin! - Permission to use the picture for Painter magazine is of course granted, no problem with that - and if Santahria is mentioned there, the better :) If the picture makes it in the next two weeks we will all rejoice as well... *hehe*

Now to the comments: It's always a bit of an up and down with this one, I guess... lol Proportion look much better now, though the head still looks a bit larger than the rest of the body. In general our elf looks tiny wee bit anorectic, despite the fact that elves in general are taller and more sinewy. Maybe broaden her stature just a little bit would do the job in this respect? - You see that e.g. as well on the changed right arm, which looks as if it could break quite easily. The prior one was more realistic. Making the head free for view is definitely a good idea, the cloak looks more interesting, some colours (clouds etc.) have been optimized, looks good as well. And more tree/wind elements are good, yet the leaves at the bottom of the pic now aren't as visible anymore as before, so this should be ensured to have the swirling leaves quite prevalent.

The thing with the arms is the following: If you look at my posted photos you see that the arms aren't bend in any way. I guess this shows very well that the person is receptive of its surrounding and/or wants to embrace the audience etc. This was somehow in the last picture, there the left arm seems to be stretched from the body, at the right arm you see it bend at the elbow, though. The latest version has both arms bent, and this leads away from the original intention - the meditation aspect. You know, with the arms bent that way it looks more as if she's testing for rain... Know what I mean, Eratin? That also makes her appear a bit stiff, as the position is somewhat forced. Maybe she should just hold her arms more down than up?

Sorry about nitpicking about these details, but in this part the effect if the whole picture is determined, so I try to get this one right, though I know it is difficult - especially as it is a perspective matter as well.

So we're another step closer - but still not entirely there...  cool

Oh, and once the picture is finished the psd version of course would be great to have, then we could use crops of the picture, zoom in on parts - and things like that. So yup, once it's finished, I'd love to have that soucre file :)
« Last Edit: 01 May 2008, 03:52:56 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2008, 19:45:41 »

Eratin made a bunch of versions to get the arm position right - and here's finally the one I like best :)

This one we should go for and finalize the picture (the second arm of course needs to be a bit thicker, but important is the pose). I guess here one can see best that the character appears to be communicating with her surroundings, one can see the elf's head properly, the flowing hair (wind) is in close vicinity as the hands, suggesting the connecting between the meditation pose and the wind etc. - So yup, this is it, no doubt about it!  thumbup

(click on image to enlarge)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2008, 20:29:14 »

I love her expression as well!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2008, 08:36:27 »

As do I, Mira. It's very serene and...well, I don't really have words for it. Ha, who would've seen that coming? Quaélh'Orín has been left speechless at last... *grin*

Eratin, you are truly a gifted artist.  clap

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Macar Irandir
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2008, 10:45:36 »

I like  ms. Facingleft, I think the background scenery is clearer in that one.  But both are absoultely stunning- easily good enough to be a book cover or something- I guess that dsoent sound like a compliment but it's meant to be  rolleyes

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2009, 03:43:30 »

A note on this one: Eratin seems to be non-existent since more than a year now, with no possibility to reach him (doesn't react to e-mails, hasn't updated any of his web galleries as far as I can see), so whatever is the case with him, it doesn't look as though he will ever finish this picture.

Therefore I think that I'll just go for integrating the last posted version, which looks pretty good at the small size, with a few deficits when you enlarge it. But as there's little hope that Eratin continues here, I guess we don't have much other options - we could take it or leave it, and I'd say we just take it. Even if it's not perfect it is good enough to illustrate the Windsinger entry, or?

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2009, 04:15:03 »

Aye, 'tis a pity Eratin has taken leave of Santharian shores. This is a fine image indeed, and I vote we use it as it is. Such defects as there are are not obvious ones.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2009, 10:00:51 »

Considering it's a far higher standard than I can aspire to, I certainly have no objection with integrating it.  I'm very sorry to hear that Eratin is no longer active, in whatever field for whatever reason.  I hope something hasn't happened in his personal life to keep him away from his art. 

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2009, 11:21:33 »

Yes this is a great picture as is.  Eratin is obviously a superior artist.  Whether or not he could make it even better is irrelevant to me.  I love it. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]