Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ice Climber, Water School, Level 4  (Read 6759 times)
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« on: 30 April 2008, 21:49:52 »

Water Spells, Ice Climber (Level IV)

A useful spell for the enterprising mage, Ice Climber allows a Water mage to scale tall locations without any kind of climbing equipment. Essentially, the mage freezes his hands and feet to the wall as he climbs, releasing each original hold as he moves upwards.

Spell Effect.
Ice Climber essentially pulls Water ounía outside of the building and wraps it around the caster’s hands and feet. As it is only a Sphere II spell, the links binding the ounía to the object are not severed and the ounía will return to their original location after the spell has finished.

Once the ounía has been wrapped around the caster’s limbs, the caster then freezes them, wrapping his limbs in the frozen ounía. Part of the encasings remain inside the wall, thus anchoring the mage to the wall. He unfreezes the single limb he wishes to move higher, and repeats the process until he has reached his destination.

The mage could make handholds rather than encasing the limbs, but due to the slipperiness of ice, the former is not recommended. Encasing prevents the mage from slipping and falling to his death. One must make sure, however, to shape the encasings in a comfortable or safe fashion, as wrapping half the wrist in ice for instance could break the limb from the weight pulling the caster downwards.

Casting Procedure.

The mage focuses on a location on the wall or mountain he wishes to scale and uses Sphere II to pull whatever Water ounía is in the location out (or, if he is using reagents, put some inside). Once the ounía have been moved to surround his hand, he focuses on applying the coldness property. This will cause the ounía to freeze around his hand. The mage may then move his feet up, and so on, repeating with each limb. Obviously, the mage must keep the coldness property of the ounía directly on his hand lower than the rest of the encasings, thus preventing the biting cold from negatively affecting him.

When the caster wishes to release a limb, he focuses on the ounía surrounding that limb, and deactivates the coldness property. The ice will melt and fade, allowing him to move his limb again.

Magical Formula.
Not defined yet. 

Focus/Target.
The focus is the location underneath the limb the mage wishes to encase. The focus shifts for each limb as the mage continues up to his destination, always under each limb.

Reagents.
Carrying a case of ice or even just water and then applying it directly to each focus point can give more Water ounía for the mage to work with, should the location he is scaling proves lacking or difficult to manipulate.

Spell Class.
Sphere II, Tides (Physical Representation of the Water School).

Range.
Not applicable, the spell is only designed to work at point blank. 

Casting Time.
Casting the spell takes only a few blinks, but the formation of the ice itself can take up to half a minute for first-time practitioners. For the more advanced users, however, it rarely takes longer than a quarter-minute for each ice hold.

Duration.
The spell can last as long as the mage continues focusing on maintaining the coldness property. However, as soon as the mage stops concentrating, the ice will begin to melt as is natural per the regular temperature.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures.
To protect one’s home from criminally oriented magi, walls built with Nor’sidian or heavily compact and dry stone can negate the amount of Water ounía traces are present within the wall and thus prevent the mage from gathering enough for the spell.

Fire Magi as well can increase the property of heat in the air around the caster, preventing the mage from freezing the ounía, and other Water Magi could lower the influence of the ounía. Earth Magi can increase the property of stubbornness within the wall, thus making it more difficult for the caster to pull the ounía from it.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 05:49:50 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2008, 21:54:47 »

Whilst the ingenuity of this spell is extremley cool, wouldn't this cause frostbite? Or at the very least numbness and discomfort?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2008, 21:58:40 »

Whilst the ingenuity of this spell is extremley cool, wouldn't this cause frostbite? Or at the very least numbness and discomfort?

Answered in the spell itself. ;)

Obviously, the mage must use Sphere I to decrease the influence of coldness property of the ounía directly on his hand, thus preventing the biting cold from negatively affecting him.

Decreasing the influence of cold on your hand means that your hand does not become cold despite the frozen encasing around it. Considering how many spells there are that wrap the caster in their dangerous element (mainly for Fire and Frost spells), learning how to decrease the influence of the element directly on their body is one of the earliest things learned.

« Last Edit: 30 April 2008, 22:00:47 by Fox » Logged
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2008, 22:06:42 »

Oops, my bad, I missed that bit :P.  I thought it seemed a little strange that you wouldn't think of that.

I revert to my "extremely cool and ingenious" statement then!  I love seeing magic used for other things as well as battle.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2008, 07:11:54 »

Quick comments on this one:

"frozen ounia" should be a no-no. We can have frozen water, and we can have ounia with the ice property active.

Also, perhaps add that mastering this spell is a bit tricky, as you need to design sensible hand/foot-supports (not every shape and way would be comfortable), and you also need to make sure that the ice is hard enough.

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2008, 07:27:03 »

Quick comments on this one:

"frozen ounia" should be a no-no. We can have frozen water, and we can have ounia with the ice property active.

I wrote frozen ounia with the idea of it being ounia with the ice property active, but if you believe that needs to be reworded I can do so.

Also, perhaps add that mastering this spell is a bit tricky, as you need to design sensible hand/foot-supports (not every shape and way would be comfortable), and you also need to make sure that the ice is hard enough.

Well they aren't really supports, they are literally like wrapping your hand in a sticky blob that happens to be stuck to the wall. Sure it may be uncomfortable in certain shapes, but I'm not sure that dictating the necessary shape is really necessary.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2008, 07:36:05 »

Yes, I do, as ounia are not physical that way. (And even if they were, it's a bit like frozen atoms)

I didn't think of dictating a specific shape in the entry, just of adding a remark about difficulties. And wrapping your hand the wrong way in non-elastic stuff may well break it, no?

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2008, 07:51:43 »

Not in this instance, as the wrapping is developing around the hand, instead of trying to wrangle the hand in a wrapping.. i'm not sure why this is sticking to the walls though...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2008, 08:18:26 »

Yes, I do, as ounia are not physical that way. (And even if they were, it's a bit like frozen atoms)

I was under the impression that they are. At least to the point that by sufficiently increasing their influence and/or quantity in a specific space they can be made visible and effective. For instance, creating a Fireball is essentially just Fire ounía, nothing else, yet it is clearly physical.

I didn't think of dictating a specific shape in the entry, just of adding a remark about difficulties. And wrapping your hand the wrong way in non-elastic stuff may well break it, no?

If done wrong, yeah, but again I was thinking that people could just use common sense regarding shape and comfort.

Not in this instance, as the wrapping is developing around the hand, instead of trying to wrangle the hand in a wrapping.. i'm not sure why this is sticking to the walls though...

They 'stick' to the walls due to the fact that the ounía are part of the building. When they are frozen, the mage doesn't just freeze the ones outside the wall, but also the ones on the inside. So it's sort of dug into the wall. I suppose I could make that more clear in the entry.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2008, 13:17:03 »

Made some changes according to the above comments.
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2008, 00:11:47 »

As it is only a Sphere II spell, the links binding the ounía to the object are not severed and the ounía will return to their original location after the spell has finished.
Well, that's not always the case (eg. fire projectiles), but yeah, I think it applies here. 

Once the ounía have been moved to surround his hand, he focuses on using Sphere I to increase the influence of the ounía while applying the ice property.
There shouldn't be more than one Sphere per spell, as far as I know, and I don't think it's really necessary either.  If you're bringing the ounia together, their influence will be increased within the area they are being gathered at. 

Of course, this brings up the problem of how to prevent the cold from affecting the mage, but perhaps one could get around it using mundane methods? 

When the caster wishes to release a limb, he focuses on the ounía surrounding that limb, and, using Sphere I, decreases the influence of the ounía, especially the original ice property.

I think you could do the same by just dispersing the ounia, or moving them back to the wall. 

Carrying a case of ice or even just water and then applying it directly to each focus point can give more Water ounía for the mage to work with, should the location he is scaling proves lacking or difficult to manipulate.

Perhaps when you're doing so you need to move some ounia into the wall too?  Otherwise it doesn't look like it'll be held very tightly to the wall. 

No
t applicable, the spell is only designed to work at point blank.

I don't know if 'point blank' is a suitable term for Caelereth.  Maybe change it to something else? 

The spell can last as long as the mage continues focusing on maintaining the ice property. However, as soon as the mage stops concentrating, the ice will begin to melt as is natural per the regular temperature.

Even without the mage maintaining it, shouldn't it be able to hold long enough anyway?  In which case the duration would be rather irrelevant for most uses of the spell, though stating it is still good. 

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2008, 04:02:47 »

Well, that's not always the case (eg. fire projectiles), but yeah, I think it applies here.

When is it not the case?

There shouldn't be more than one Sphere per spell, as far as I know, and I don't think it's really necessary either.  If you're bringing the ounia together, their influence will be increased within the area they are being gathered at.

You can't have many spells if you don't have more than one per spell. Even Sphere III is based around using Sphere I and II effects but with the added bonus of being able to directly attach them/detach them from a Car'all. Plenty of spells on the site already go by this.

If you bring the ounia together, their influence while great, will only conjure water. To actually get ice, you'll need to manipulate the coldness property to get that process going. Manipulating which property is in effect is a Sphere I attribute, isn't it?

Of course, this brings up the problem of how to prevent the cold from affecting the mage, but perhaps one could get around it using mundane methods?

Answered in the spell itself. ;)

Decreasing the influence of cold on your hand means that your hand does not become cold despite the frozen encasing around it. Considering how many spells there are that wrap the caster in their dangerous element (mainly for Fire and Frost spells), learning how to decrease the influence of the element directly on their body is one of the earliest things learned.

I think you could do the same by just dispersing the ounia, or moving them back to the wall.

They're already frozen. You can't move them back into the wall without unfreezing them, because the solid, condensed matter won't pass through the solid material anymore.

Perhaps when you're doing so you need to move some ounia into the wall too?  Otherwise it doesn't look like it'll be held very tightly to the wall.

As you're moving the ounia out of the wall, I don't see why you'd need to move some back in. You leave some of it in the wall while pulling some of it out, and freeze both aspects like a hook. 

Even without the mage maintaining it, shouldn't it be able to hold long enough anyway?  In which case the duration would be rather irrelevant for most uses of the spell, though stating it is still good. 

Yes, it would be able to, probably, but I needed to put something down for the duration.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2008, 05:24:40 by Fox » Logged
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2008, 14:18:39 »

When is it not the case?
Well, spells like fireballs and firebolts, like I said.  Okay, so strictly speaking they still apply, but if you're doing them properly there wont be a chance for that to happen. 

You can't have many spells if you don't have more than one per spell. Even Sphere III is based around using Sphere I and II effects but with the added bonus of being able to directly attach them/detach them from a Car'all. Plenty of spells on the site already go by this.
Not unless you count selecting properties as Sphere 1, I think.  I remember being told that whenever you use Sphere 1 and Sphere 2 together, it's actually Sphere 3. 

To actually get ice, you'll need to manipulate the coldness property to get that process going. Manipulating which property is in effect is a Sphere I attribute, isn't it?
No, manipulating properties is something all Spheres can do.  As for getting ice, I didn't think it would be particularly hard, since there is going to be a lot of Earth influence anyway, so unless you're removing that somehow, I think the effect you would get should be something like ice growing out of the wall. 

Answered in the spell itself.
I meant, if Sphere 1 isn't being used.   :P

They're already frozen. You can't move them back into the wall without unfreezing them, because the solid, condensed matter won't pass through the solid material anymore.
Well, if you disperse the ounia making up the ice, it stops being ice, doesn't it?  It should just sort of evaporate, or be reabsorbed into the wall. 

As you're moving the ounia out of the wall, I don't see why you'd need to move some back in. You leave some of it in the wall while pulling some of it out, and freeze both aspects like a hook. 

I meant when there isn't enough Water ounia in the wall in the first place, in which case it seems to make sense that you would have to move some in, instead of out. 

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2008, 15:25:05 »

Not unless you count selecting properties as Sphere 1, I think.  I remember being told that whenever you use Sphere 1 and Sphere 2 together, it's actually Sphere 3.

Hm. But it's not really 'using them together'. It's more using one and then the other. You pull it out, and then while it's out, you tap it.

Well, if you disperse the ounia making up the ice, it stops being ice, doesn't it?  It should just sort of evaporate, or be reabsorbed into the wall.

As long as the coldness property was activated, the water wouldn't unfreeze (beyond basic evaporation) even if you moved the ounia. The frozen shard itself would probably move, but again, physical wall there, so it'd just smash into it... once it the ounia become solid, they're solid-- you might be able to move a few out, one by one, but that'd take a long time as you'd essentially just be doing a quicker evaporation process. Compared to just turning it off all at once. You need to break it down to its basic elements first. Just moving the ounia without deactivating the coldness property (which is the general process on hurling shards of ice spells like Spear of Frost) will just move the ice.

I meant when there isn't enough Water ounia in the wall in the first place, in which case it seems to make sense that you would have to move some in, instead of out. 

Ahh, right.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2008, 16:17:42 »

Hm. But it's not really 'using them together'. It's more using one and then the other. You pull it out, and then while it's out, you tap it.
I know what you mean.  I think it has to do with the idea that each spell uses only one Sphere, so anything requiring the effects of more than one Sphere is either Sphere 3 or more than one spell.  But, like I said, you don't really need more than one Sphere for this. 

As long as the coldness property was activated, the water wouldn't unfreeze (beyond basic evaporation) even if you moved the ounia.

Hmm...so the Water ounia in ice resist being moved apart?  Well, that sort of makes sense, given the Earth influence in ice.  Okay so the mage has to melt the ice first.   

I just had an idea.  Rather than letting the melted water just flow away, why not use it as the reagent?  Of course, if there was enough Water ounia in the first place, this probably won't be necessary anyway. 

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]