Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Body Modification (Tattooing, Piercing, Scarification, Branding etc)  (Read 19159 times)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2008, 20:40:11 »

Thanks, Judith. I'll look into that today some time.

What do you think so far?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2008, 20:54:27 »

Thoughts?    It looks, unsurprisingly, thoroughly erudite and well-written - while still being concise and picturesque.  I think you could let out the reins of your undeniably well-managed wit: I'm surprised you managed to keep it restrained for the duration! 

We actually enjoy and appreciate a unique 'tone' or authorial style, as long as it fits into the medieval/renaissance fantasy restrictions we've selected (no modern scientific language, use Santharian measurements, etc.) and is written from the perspective of a Compendium researcher.    After all, scientific detachment hasn't been invented yet!

I'm still unsure that you should include hair styling.  It is technically not body modification any more than makeup.  There's an idea:  perhaps it would be more appropriate to create an overview called 'Beauty Techniques of Santharia' which would include cosmetics, hairstyling, and spa treatments - from the medieval mind, of course.   I'd be up to write it, and I'm sure we'd get contributions from other eager compendiumists!   

You should definitely remove the adjective 'unkempt' or there will be some very vexed Thergerim after you with large axes, all eager to explain to you just how much the care of beard and head hair concerns them.  The problem, they would like to point out, is that artists prefer to do dramatic pictures of dwarven warriors ready for battle or just back from it, with sweat-matted locks, mud in their prized beards, and serious helmet head.   At home, they assure you, things are quite otherwise.  But more on that in the proposed entry to follow.... ;)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2008, 21:03:19 »

I'm in agreement with you regarding the hair styling section. When you read the previous sections, and see what people go through to acheive their modifications, it's a bit of an anti-climax when you get to hairdressing!

I'd be happy to let you take over the writing of that, Judith. Not to be sexist or anything, but I think a woman is probably more suited to the subtle nuances of the salon than a gruff orc.

With regards to my humourous input; I deliberately tried to restrain myself, more as an exercise in "proper" writing than anything else. But I can feel the twitching of my chuckle-bone as we speak! Undoubtedly I will insert some witty banter at some stage.

Thanks for your input.

P.S.  Unkempt will stay until I think of a more apporpriate description!

P.P.S  Look at the Ashz-oc and Losh-oc entries for hair styling. I'll let you know if I find any more. And we should include references to hair in the body-mod entry, and direct people to the beauty treatments entry for more details, do you think?

P.P.P.S   Look at the Kaaer'dar'shin for hair styles as well.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 01:07:52 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2008, 02:23:49 »

Nice!  :D

How about just mentioning the dangers of tattooing without the proper sterilised equipment and antiseptics though?  It could be the main problem in our medieval(ish) world.  I'm sure we've got the equivalents around here somewhere too, plants which prevent infection etc...

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2008, 03:27:09 »

A good point, Rookie. I had thought of this momentarily, but then some bright, shiny trinket distracted me and it was lost.
I shall enquire of the Masterbard if she has anything suitable for the purpose tucked in her voluminous gown, although I tend to think that sterility and such would be of little consequence to many of the tribes.

Use the force, Luke.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2008, 03:47:29 »

Would they not heat a needle before piercing with it or something?  And we have a list of medicinal plants somewhere, I'll find it for you.

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11726.0.html

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 May 2008, 04:10:58 »

Hello my Orcish friend...

Some quick details cause I feel like it:

Unfortunately I haven't heard from Uragel yet, but I'm thinking that some kind of mixture, the receipt for which is known only by the Spiritual Guide of the Tethinrhim, will be used for their tattoos. Hopefully, this special ink and a touch of elven magic will suffice and allow us just to say that the ink, "fades into the skin of the weaer permantely" after a few hours.

Just something to wet your traitorous whistle with.  ;)

I read this, and I love it by the way Tharoc. Interesting and detailed, it obviously shows good understanding and firm background research for a intro. In short, nice job! thumbup

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2008, 21:44:50 »

First Draft of Eyelian Body Mods

The Eyelians
The Eyelain Men of Southern Sarvonia have been practicing the arts of tattoing and piercing ever since their arrival from Nymblemar over two thousand years ago.
Almost every Eyelian has pierced ears, and more piercing are common for both sexes. Every piercing tells the tale of an Eyelian’s life, and almost every piece of jewelry they bear is completely natural. For instance, Eagle or Gryph talons are commonly put through the ear lobes, and a bear claw through the nose is not unheard of in the warriors of the Bear clan. Bone piercings are also fairly common. These piercings all represent certain virtues associated with the tribe. Eyelian belief has it that a bear claw opens the mind, an eagle talon elevates it, and wolf claws can make the wearer more charismatic. The last is by far the most easily proven- an Eyelian bearing a regiment of wolf claw piercings will certainly be more respected in his community then a cub with an marked face.
Traditionally, warriors, chiefs, and beastmasters wear more piercings then other members of Eyelian society, and the more exotic piercings (like the Bear clan’s nose claws) are rarely found in the more developed Eyelian communities.
Nearly every Eyelian gets his first piercing as a child, after he or she has learned the language of the beasts. There is traditionally a glorious celebration, foreshadowing the coming-of-age festivities that will occur when the Eyelian is a bit older.  After the celebration, the Eyelian is taken to the sweat lodge for one of many times in their lives, and the tribe shaman pierces the right ear. Depending on the environment, this can be done with a burnt-tipped thorn, or a piece of bone.  An Eyelian’s second ear is pierced after his coming-of-age celebration five to ten years later.
In the early days of Eyelian society, there was great in-fighting between the seven original clans, and the greatest warriors would often have many piercings taken from the claws of enemy familiars. This tradition continues today, in a form. The warriors in Eyelian society take great pride in defending thier homelands. After every succsesful victory, they will create a peice of jewlery symbolic of the enemy they have defeated. A green-painted claw for an invasion of orcs, or an oceanic earing for defeating an army of Averonianns. Sometimes, they will receive tattoos instead.

Tattoos have been practiced among the Eyelians almost as long as piercings have. They tend to have much more significance then the piercings, and the ceremony involved is even greater then that of the sweat lodge piercings.
Tattooing also takes place in the lodge, but there are typically four people involved. The shaman presides over the ceremony, but the chief is the one who actually draws the design on the Eyelian. He does this with a twig or brush smeared in ink made from berries or whatever else happens to be handy in the environment. The mother is the one who prepares the needle and tattoo ink, and the father does the actual injecting.
Tattoos are granted for a variety of purposes, and are often completed over a period of days. Chiefs receive massive tattoos upon induction to their new station. These tattoos often cover over half the body area and are made of swirling, organic, designs, reminiscent of fur or feathers. Beastmasters receive facial tattoos, in the form of a mask, and most Eyelians bear a clan seal or family coat-of-arms on their arm. These tattoos are almost religious in significance, and certain designs are rumored to give the wearer strength, agility, charisma, or other natural gifts.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 21:29:18 by Nsikigan Rocksilk Yourth » Logged

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2008, 02:53:34 »

Tharoc PM'ed me to ask about the Losh-Oc teeth-cutting ceremony, so here are my thoughts on that:

I suggest that the warrior then have the right to call himself an "Ashz'm'ruk'oc"  (or a "noble-fanged orc" , as opposed to a woman or child orc who will not have such sharpened teeth).  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I see the ceremony as being sort of a "rite of manhood" for young orcs?

It could then be called simply "M'ruk'ashz" (lit. "fang worthy") which, combined with the appropriate gesture (in this case, making a fist, then raising the arm from waist height to the top of the head) , is understood to mean, basically " [the] fang ennobling ceremony".

What do you think?

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2008, 04:57:54 »

I like the sound of it, Alysse. Would the warrior be Ashz'm'ruc'oc after his first tooth was cut, or when they were all done?

Yes, it is seen as a rite of manhood, but also as an important first step in his military career, as he is regarded as worthless until he makes his first kill.

I will include your much appreciated phrases, but I like the "cutting your teeth" bit as well, so that will probably become the common human term for it. Maybe.

Of course, you do realise that you will either have to teach me Kh'omchr'om, or put up with me requesting translations for the forseeable future?

Use the force, Luke.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2008, 06:52:00 »

After the first tooth, I think.  Then it's just a matter of degree, really.

We do have a Kh'omchr'om dictionary on the site, but I am always happy to help with translations or language problems.  Since having written (and sung) two orcish songs for Santharia, I recognize the need for a bit more language development in the orcish area, though we have gotten around that a bit by saying they use gestures and hand signals to indicate such things as subject, object, present, past or future tenses, etc.

I do like "cutting your teeth" as well.  Perhaps the human tribes that live closest to them call it that?

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 May 2008, 07:32:14 »

Yes, I think the Kuglimz people will use the phrase, perhaps?  And "cutting your teeth" ie: making a start, is just about as close to an easter egg as you'll ever see from me!

With regards to language, I am in awe of the people who can create one from scratch. All I tend to do is look at the words we already have and find ones that are similar to what I want to say, but then I scrap it because it's probably completely wrong.
Even though my headmaster wanted me to go to uni to study English language and literature, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever when people start talking of dipthongs and the like. I get so far and then my brain just say's "Nope. Lost it completely. I'm going to shut down now."
I can't understand why we need to make it so complex. I'm sure that when the first languages were in their infancy, the creators didn't say "Oh, you can't say it like that. You've got too many vowels in it, and you have to round your dipthongs."

Anyway, I'm sure with practice I'll pick up the rudiments. But I wouldn't put money on it!

Use the force, Luke.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2008, 21:27:30 »

The important thing to remember about the orcish language is that it is NOT actually a written language.  What we have on site is basically a human attempt to write the orcish language as it sounds, in order to put a basic vocabulary together.  Orcs do not have an alphabet or written letters.  If a message needs to be sent, it is done verbally, memorized by the messenger.  Orcs can, and will, draw and paint pictures (think cave art work) to commemorate mighty battles, great hunts--things like that.  So our "orcish language" is really just our best guess based on the way a word sounds.

If you do want to invent some, the letters "R", "K", "M" and "T" feature very strongly.  Soft letters, such as "L", "Y" or "C" are less common (though they may be used.)  Vowels are not always necessary, though they are used.   That's pretty much all you really need to know  :D

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2008, 21:33:04 »

Ah, so 'Orcen' actually only exists in its written form as a 'tharianization'... :)

(since Rome was never built in this universe...)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2008, 23:29:25 »

Ah, well, now your'e talking!  That sounds like something I could just about manage. I'll still run things by you first though, Alysse, as you seem to be the current expert.

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 129
Online Ever: 337
(19 November 2019, 02:38:29)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)