Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Map drawing stuff  (Read 15493 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2008, 11:39:54 »

Yay!  The Bombox and the Parpalm!

One problem: you want your tree to not have too 'varied' a silhouette, otherwise it looks strange when you are duplicating it many times.   Pretty as number three (Bombox Palm) is, you might want to try putting the trunk more upright.   But play around with it and see how it looks...   Number four is great - even so tiny you can see the 'rings' of the Parpalm!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2008, 15:28:55 »

Yeah, this looks pretty cool already, Smee :) And it doesn't hurt to have some variety in the palm design - the more different versions we have the more interesting a whole forest will look, you can also flip them etc.

Also make sure that at the bottom you have a piece of transition/smeared half transparent landscape (see the other trees), this allows them to be pasted much easier on a map, so that the trees doesn't look like an alien element if you make a forest with them.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2008, 17:21:05 »

Note that it is definitely not easy to start with an island that is extremely small

Is this really the case?

Even at the final size, these islands are so small that from my view it obscures little mistakes I might make on my first map-making adventure.

Hopefully by the time I'm done, I'll be at a point where I'll be able to cope with an area that'll get closer scrutiny.

~

I'm glad you like the palms. Last night during the downtime I attempted to put them into a jungle on the largest island.

Here's the result.

Click for full size again.

Should I put this waffle in a seperate Shoals thread, or we ok in here?

EDIT:

By the way, the copying the selection tip was awesome. Took me a little while to work out how to do it, but it was very useful. :)
« Last Edit: 07 June 2008, 17:25:12 by Smee » Logged

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2008, 17:35:08 »

Well, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here regarding the way you use your palms to make a forest, Smee. Because when I look at your map I don't see anything anymore of your palm, know what I mean?

Have a look at the Manthrian map, and be aware that the Manthrian map is the same scale as the Scattersand Shoals map you try to deal with now. This means that trees shown on the Shoals map should be shown in the same size as on the Manthrian map. The trees are a symbolic representation anway, so we don't put every single tree on the map, so you should ideally just paste a bunch of palms around the isle, so that they are nicely recognizeable by the viewer. If you put it next to the Manthrian map it should look the same style. What I can see here right now looks more like a grass texture - it isn't identifyable for the viewer as a forest.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2008, 19:20:15 »

Yeah, I know it's the same scale. But, aah, I think I may have twigged what you were meaning about the small size then.

Ok - no problem. Plan B  :D

EDIT:

I think I'm on the right lines now with the main island...  this is full sized.

I'm umming and aaahing about the twin-palm. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But at a glance, I see the collection of trees, and I'm still thinking desert island, rather than jungle, maybe I just need to darken the inner land, leaving the whiter areas at the edge to mark the beaches?
« Last Edit: 08 June 2008, 01:59:45 by Smee » Logged

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2008, 19:40:14 »

That looks really good Smee.  A lot more like the Matharia map. thumbup  Keep up the good work! grin

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2008, 20:23:07 »

Have you got your palms on an own layer in the Resource file, Smee? If so, please send them to me. - I might have a look at it and adjust it a bit, so that you see how I'd improve it a bit. You know, one perfect palm copied hundreds of time might make a perfect wood - if the palm isn't completely perfect, this also multiplies. So getting the single map icons done best is the key to the whole thing :)

Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2008, 20:30:52 »

Sent to your MSN Yahoo email address.  :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2008, 21:28:48 »

The address isn't really in use, Smee - always use webmaster@santharia.com!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2008, 23:02:23 »

Ok, Smee - I've tried to show you a bit what I mean exactly. I've used the second palm you had and made a bunch of varying trees out of it - nothing major, but the varying trees makes it interesting in case you post more palms.

Looks like this then - you can also see that I've put it before the white background to see how it blends in with it. The bottom part is also important, as it connects the tree with the ground.

I've also made it a bit lighter (changed the transparency of the layer to 83% and then saved this layer again). I think palms aren't so dark. You can see both versions on the picture.

I've updated the resource file with the new version containing the updated palms, so you can download that one again (same link as above) to be up to date.

Here's how the palms then look like on the picture - note that there are no textures at the ground and other stuff that would make the map more complete, but you get the idea. As you can see - it is difficult to work with such small islands, you don't really have much space.

« Last Edit: 07 June 2008, 23:03:59 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2008, 23:09:06 »

OK - I'll work with just the one good type of palm in the varieties you've created. Makes more sense.

I'll leave you alone for a bit now, and get back to you once I've made more significant progress.  :P

Thanks for bearing with me. Despite at this stage it probably being faster for you to just create the map yourself, hopefully it'll lead to faster maps once I'm trained up  :D

EDIT : Incidently, I'd lowered the transparency too, on that most recent pick I think they were at 65-70% ish.

EDIT 2 :

Yep - the single palm looks much better. I've also played with a little terrain, river and a small cave now too  :P

« Last Edit: 08 June 2008, 02:00:50 by Smee » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2008, 03:04:53 »

Yay, Smee! This looks pretty cool :D - The sizes look right, the palms are more realistic now, it fits together and fits to the style of the Manthrian map :) If you've followed the description of this particular island as it was described by Gean, then this island is pretty much done already :)

The ocean ripples around it are still missing, but otherwise it looks really nice.  thumbup

Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2008, 03:29:12 »

Yep - I was following the description. It mentions central hills, rivers, pools, caves. It's all there. On to the next islands :)

As for ocean ripples. I spent some time on those. PSP8 has 'ripples' and 'waves' but neither of those do any good. I got a semi-decent look with a partial transparent sandstone effect, but again not great.

I'm afraid, barring a great discovery, I can't get PSP8 to replicate the ocean ripples.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 08 June 2008, 05:45:11 »

Well, I can give the ripples a shot myself once you're done :)

Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 June 2008, 09:49:08 »

That would be very cool - thanks  :)

Anyhoo, seems I couldn't stop, and as it nears 2am, I'm just about done with island two. Don't worry, I won't be posting after every island. But this one is probably the most intriguing of the rest of them. According to the entry it features high cliffs, with rock formations on top known as the 'Teeth', with normal forest to the east, and beaches to the south. Alot to fit in to a small island, but I think it's come out well.

Oh, and I found reference to an inn apparently being on the main island, so I've stuck a hut in as well. :)

The passage between these two islands is also supposed to be treacherous, and most visitors enter the bay (where the hut is) via the south, unless it's a life or death thing (chased by pirates!). So I've stuck some rocks in.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!