Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Map drawing stuff  (Read 16316 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #60 on: 16 June 2008, 09:45:20 »

I agree!

It's wonderful that we have some other people interested in map work - I've always argued that geography CREATES culture and that maps should come first in any development or discussion of an area.

Art, have we decided that ALL maps on the site should be done in this consistent greyscale style?  I think we discussed that, so that eventually (like in the year 3000) we can click almost anywhere and 'zoom in' at least three or four levels deep, from continent to province to specific city.  In which case all city maps should be done in greyscale as well.    Could I try redoing the Marcogg map this summer to see how that might look in matching greyscale?  Have any ideas or extra icons that we could use?

This guy  http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2008/01/quest-complete-rpg-map-tileset.html  has 'free-to-use' icons that would look amazing in greyscale.  Would you mind if I contacted him and asked for permission to use them to create our city maps? 

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 16 June 2008, 12:03:50 »

On the subject of city maps, I'm interested in drawing on for Kyttaering. Any tips?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 16 June 2008, 12:34:14 »

This site has some guides for drawing maps in Photoshop.  I don't think it is entirely compatible with Arti's style, but it has some nice tricks you can learn. 

Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 16 June 2008, 18:49:21 »

I added to my musing's section of Smee's plans a thought about city maps, and have a couple of links in there of some previous threads about it. I was thinking of starting with Simsy. A small village seems a good place to start for me.

Those look like some awesome icons Judy. I hope we can use them.

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 16 June 2008, 20:54:51 »

Is there a way someone can add a couple of town icons along the northeastern border of the Themed'lon forest? That is Torik, the Kaaer'dar'shin home colony. With two (going on three possibly four) entries mentioning Torik, there should be an indicator of it on the Caael'heroth map I think.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #65 on: 17 June 2008, 15:49:11 »

The Nicu's Clipart page looks really great, Judy! Here on this page you have pretty much all of these pictures. I'd need to check how they look greyscaled and made smaller, but I think they will fit in perfectly into Santharian maps, because we went for the 3d approach, and these are made exactly the same style. As he offeres them to the free clipart site, I guess he's perfectly fine with allowing them to be used in Santharia. Maybe you can contact him anyway and ask again, pointing him to the Manthrian map - maybe he sees the potential we have with such clip arts and helps get us even better with new ones :)

Concerning the question if all maps should be greyscale maps: Well, we have a great city map of Nyermersys by Koldar, which is not in greyscale, so I cannot say that this was agreed somewhere. And this map definitely looks cool :) - Personally I will focus more on the landscape maps in the style of Manthria, as here I have my experiences, and if we can use more 3d-clipart this will make maps even better if we can properly convert them the way we need it. I guess with landscape maps we'll cover the most important things, that's why I'll go more in this direction personally.

@Azhira: Well, if you have a bunch of stuff to add to that particular map, I suggest to take the map and mark what you want to add where and name these towns/mountains/villages etc. - then I'll so to add all that at once.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 17 June 2008, 17:37:27 »

Ok, I've sent an email off to the address Nicu gives.  Don't know what time zone he's in, but let's hope he checks his box regularly!  I LOVE those pictures...

Will Photoshop greyscale and shrink nicely?  My PhotoIllustrations can desaturate and retain detail, but resizing sometimes pixilates stuff badly.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 17 June 2008, 20:10:24 »

Well, yeah, it depends on the picture of course. The source pictures I bought back then in order to populate the Manthrian map with them of course had to be reworked to a degree, so that they looked ok in the size we need them. But yeah, important is mainly to have a great source.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20 June 2008, 22:54:40 »

Just as a side note, I want to congratulate Smee on his elaboration of the Scattersand Shoals. It's perfect :D

Now that we're at it, I seem to remember I had an easter egg hidden among the names of the isles, which is... well visible at the map if you have the eye for it... it had to do something with... can't remember the name... alli...something ;)

Hope you can do more maps in the future Smee, they're a most welcome addition to the project. With general entry, map, and theme music, I think the Scattersands are quite complete  grin

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23 June 2008, 17:52:01 »

Kind praise indeed, Gean! I couldn't have done it without all the work you did on the entry itself, but I'm delighted you like it.  :)

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 26 June 2008, 02:28:32 »

Completely deailing the current topic, but; Art, is there a Nybelmarian version of the Monster Maps? Or does it need to be created from scratch? (that would be a hassle... compiling the Koldar maps into one big one, then re-cutting it into the geographic regions, and somehow changing the scale without everything going blurry, ans poking them around to fit in line with the standard maps as Art makes them..)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #71 on: 26 June 2008, 02:32:25 »

No, there isn't any Nybelmarian monster map yet, simply because my reference was the Santharian map and I used it to blow the other things up to fit it the Manthrian style version. I'd have to look at the (rather small, rough) complete Caelereth map and deduce the Nybelmarian size from there.

So yeah, while more complicated, it's something I could try.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 26 June 2008, 02:37:04 »

Well, if you could create such a master map, it will be my pleasure to start filling in the high-detail versions. Lots of things have changed since Koldar frist created his (masterfully drawn!) map. Geography got altered, entire nations arose from the empty sands, and so on and so on. Not in any particular hurry since i still have to secure some software to work with through.. uhm... 'creative means', but still.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 26 June 2008, 03:04:40 »

As if the rough sizes of Nybelmar are not already online and finer details in the work. Wasn't that thread not long enough on top, how could you have missed it, Mira?

I'd have to look at the (rather small, rough) complete Caelereth map and deduce the Nybelmarian size from there.

Art, you did not know either that I'm doing this stuff right now?

Oh how encouraging!   evil

Btw, the two mostermaps together as one map gave my computer quite a bit work to do, but it helped me to find the right distances.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2008, 03:08:26 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #74 on: 26 June 2008, 03:08:21 »

Well, yes - I could use a Nybelmarian distance from the easternmost point to the westernmost. Based on that we could determine how large the map should be in cm on a piece of Photoshop paper e.g., and then I can blow it up that way :)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 138
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)