Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Some general ideas and questions by the Writing Dutchmen.  (Read 5671 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« on: 12 July 2008, 22:56:24 »

Seeing Gean online reminded me to post the following points which were considered over a few beers last week.

-Beacon fires/smoke signals. This is a realy cool concept we haven't  used yet in Caelereth, even though we've seen a masterfull use of the concept in our primary source of inspiration, the Lord of the Rings. Any takers?

-Hot air. I know we're full of it, but that's besides the point. It struck us as rather likely that someone, somewhere on the disk has discovered the fact that hot air rises, and made the logical conclusions leading to the idea of balloons... Wikipedia has some rather interesting practices associated with early balloons.

-Mythicality. Not a development idea but rather an observation, we joined the rising amount of people that are re-considering our constant drive for explanation. Not only were there many unexplained matters left in the terran times we like to place Santharia equivalent to, but it is a fantasy world. We might need to do more ISSO statements than we are doing right now, both to increase our speed, as to keep a more fantasy-feel, with wonders and marvels possibly awaiting you at every turn.

I'm probably forgetting stuff.. care to add something Gean?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2008, 05:07:02 »

I had a fleeting thought of using hill/mountain top warning beacons for the Ashz-oc. I stress it was fleeting, as are most of my thoughts these days. I've taken to writing things down as and when I think of them, which has led to much abuse from Mrs W when I forget to take all my bits of paper out of my jeans before she washes them, resulting in little bits of white mush covering her entire wash-load. Whoops!

Anyway, I digress. There is a medieval tower in the next town to mine. It sits atop the highest hill for miles, and is a famous and popular attraction. It has been bricked up due to vandalism, but is still an imposing feature.

I shall go off now to find a picture of it, just bear with me for a few moments.....

Ah, here it is. 

It's been modified a few times throughout the ages, but it still presents a spectacular image. There is a platform made of stone about 30 mtr from the Pike, (you can just make it out if you look slightly to the left of the base of the tower) this is where the fires would have been lit. There is apparently room inside for up to a dozen soldiers to live.  
« Last Edit: 13 July 2008, 05:14:39 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2008, 05:33:49 »

Fire/ smoke signals have lots of possibilities towers in various places made at different times by different people instance where they were lit etc. We could also have mage generated fire signals different colors could mean different things you could communicate specific messages over long distance, sort of a Santharian telegram. Their could also be codes used for battle, though not covert like a runner it would be much quicker and it could be changed frequently so they don't know what you are up to.  :)

Hot air rising could be useful for somethings Anapagans might use it to turn a wheel for some device. But I see problems developing if we have hot air balloons. We could end up with dirigible service from Nybelmar to Sarvonia   :(
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2008, 09:34:27 »

The Kuglimz people use smoke signals...very much like the Native peoples used to--as warnings, SOS signals, etc.  They don't use towers but this is on the site (in my F'ash story in the Library)

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2008, 13:52:59 »

If you want coloured flames you could use the gnomish made Greenflash.  I'm sure they could make other thigns for different colours as well.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2008, 17:59:21 »

Ok Mannix, you just volunteered to do the Greenflash powder! *moves it from his own to-do list to that of Mannix*

Heheheheh!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2008, 18:20:44 »

Well, I was thinking about writing the entry anyway, so what the heck.  It might be a while until I do it.  Though last time I said that it was done the next day  :D

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2008, 19:53:58 »

Well, the current estimated time before i have time to do such a trivial non-focus entry (how snobbish of me!) lies somewhere around 5-10 years, so....

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2008, 22:43:27 »

For Mira!

Just because this was a great excuse to use BOTH of my new programs - Sketchup and Terragen!   I'm rather happy with the painterly feel of this landscape, particularly the path and stones - not crisp, I agree, but it has a very watercolour effect, like some of Ingeborg's pieces.

(Yeah, Art, I finally got to use that sky from the Baveras Temple picture that never did work out!  I've always loved it, so I snuck it in here where the feel of moors and rain seemed right...)

« Last Edit: 13 July 2008, 22:45:25 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2008, 22:50:09 »

It's really nice Judy!  The sky is magnificent.  All we need now is an entry for it.  ;)

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2008, 22:53:25 »

Indeed! I am amazed at the amount of great pictures you're churning out Judy!

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2008, 22:58:34 »

Just Judy on vacation - you do NOT want to see her bored, trust me!

Once Kath is in bed (and Bry goes down around ten at night) I have the computer to myself for three or four hours straight.  Amazing how much you can get done.

Now I'll let that sit overnight, look again in the morning, and doubtless see all kinds of things I'll want to fix - but I'd rather post ASAP so that I also get everyone else's perspective and comments.   Of course, my talent is not always up to incorporating it all, but I'll keep on trying!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2008, 23:03:31 »

Oooops!  I will now have a very big orc cross with me if I don't acknowledge that it was at HIS request that I produced a Beacon Tower entry!   

(tries a bit of grovelling in return:) Darling Tharoc, I owe this picture entirely to your flattering PM suggesting that I try my hand at a tower, and your posted inspiration picture.  I trust that you are not too displeased with my hopelessly crude results; your humble servant begs that you throw her at least a grudging crust of comment to gnaw upon as she skulks back to her poorly-lit dungeon to continue contracting carpal tunnel.....

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2008, 01:27:25 »

Hey, don't look at me. It was only a suggestion. I thought you may have used the pic I posted and done your smarty-harse colouring in technique.

No matter, the results are superb anyway. As usual.

Now, d'you think I could get away with saying this is an Orc signal tower in the Prominent mountains? Perhaps if I say it was originally built by some race other than Orcs?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2008, 07:59:15 »

I don't see why not, Tharoc.  Just because the orcs are somewhat more "primitive" than humans, doesn't mean they couldn't use signal towers.  These aren't especially impressive elven elevations--just squat solid-looking structures that orcs could conceivably have built.  (Nice alliteration, eh?) No offense to your picture intended, Judy--I love it!  Perhaps the orcs use them to warn each other of military incursions by other races, call for aid in battles, that sort of thing?

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]