Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Traveller. A short story in instalments. Part: The final.  (Read 7531 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2008, 05:03:32 »

Well, these fellows don't sound like elves.  They're all too human, if you ask me.  And yes, Elindor is elven.  So, you may want to be approaching Remusiat.

As for the policemen, perhaps they're City Watchmen patrolling the outskirts of the town?  Most larger cities will have some sort of constabulary.  The nomadic Kuglimz practise what was known in the Wild West as "frontier justice", but the settled ones would recognize the need for some form of policing, though with them it might be more along the lines of vigilante groups of citizenry.

Possibly he is not being arrested on charges of speeding(which I agree is a more modern type of "crime") but because he tumbled the patrol into a ditch.  This would translate to "reckless endangerment of the public"  and "interfering with Watchmen in the pursuit of their sworn duty" and, if anyone got scratched or bruised, "causing bodily harm and discomfort to a member of the City Watch"--at least three lovely charges the cop could have him up before the magistrates for, if they really wanted to.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2008, 07:39:29 »

OK, all Talia and Alysse's points addressed. Now for the next instalment.....

THE TRAVELLER
                                      Part: The third

As we watched the patrol march soggily away, I let out a long sigh of relief, "I can't believe that just happened." I breathed.
"We was caught," rat-face said, "We was caught good an' proper."
"I was caught, you mean."
"That's right," he said "What're you goin' to do now, guv'nor?"
"I'm going straight to Remusiat to get some legal advice," I said. I flicked Nightshades reins and he started to walk on.

"You mustn' believe what 'ee said to you about goin' t'prison," he said. "They don't put someone in th'clink jus' fer causin' a minor upset like that."
"Are you sure of that?" I asked.
"I'm positive," he answered. "They can take yer permit away, an' they can give yer a whoppin' great fine, but that'll be an end to it."
I felt a little less nervous hearing his assessment of the situation. After all, he seemed to be the type of person who has experience in the ways of the legal system.

"By the way," I said, "why did you lie to him?"
" 'Oo, me?" he said. "What makes you fink I lied?"
"You told him you were an unemployed brick-carrier. But you told me you were in a highly skilled trade."
"An' so I am," he said. "But it don't do to tell everythin' to a Watchman."
"So just what do you do?" I asked him.
"Ahh," he said slyly. "That'd be tellin' now, wouldn't it?"
"Is it something you're ashamed of?"
"Ashamed?" he cried. "Me, ashamed of my job? I'm about as proud of it as anybody could be in the 'ole wide world. Ashamed indeed!"
"Then why won't you tell me?"
"You writers really is nosey, ain't ya?" he said. "An' you ain't goin' t'be 'appy, I don't fink, 'til you've found out 'zackly what the answer is?"
"I don't really care one way or the other." I lied.
He gave me a crafty look out of the side of his eyes. "I fink you do." he said. "I can see it on yer face that you fink I'm in some kind of very peculiar trade an' yer jus' achin' t'know what it is."
I didn't like the way he seemed to be able to read my thoughts. I kept quiet and concentrated on the road ahead.
"You'd be right, too." he went on. "I am in a very peculiar trade. I'm in the queerest peculiar trade of 'em all."
I waited for him to go on.
"That's why I 'as t'be extra careful 'oo I'm talkin' to, y'see. 'Ow am I t'know, f'rinstance, you ain't another Watchmen off duty?"
"Do I look like a City-Watchman?"
"No," he said. "You don't. An' you ain't. Any fool can tell that."

He took from his pocket a small pouch of pipeweed and a well-used clay pipe and started to prepare himself a smoke.I was watching him out of the corner of my eye, and the speed with which he performed this rather tricky operation was incredible. The pipe was packed and ready in the blink of an eye. He checked that the weed was secure in the bowl of the pipe and stuck the stem between his lips. Then, as if from nowhere, a small, burning stick appeared in his hand. The pipe was lit, and the flame disappeared. It was altogether a remarkable performance.

"I've never seen anyone build a pipe as fast as that." I said.
"Ah," he said, taking a deep suck of smoke."So you noticed."
"Of course I noticed. It was quite amazing."
He sat back and smiled. It pleased him very much that I had noticed how quickly he could build a pipe. "You want t'know what makes me able t'do it?" he asked.
"Go on then."
"It's 'cos I've got these 'ere fingers. These fingers of mine," he said, holding up both hands high in front of him, "are quicker an' cleverer than the fingers of the best lute player in all the world."
"Are you a lute player?"
"Don't be daft," he said. "Do I look like a bloody lute player?"
I glanced at his fingers. They were so beautifully shaped, so slender and long and elegant, they didn't seem to belong to the rest of him at all. They looked like the fingers of locksmith or lace-maker.

"My job," he went on, "is a 'undred times more difficult than playin' a musical instrument. Any idiot can learn t'do that. There's little children learnin' to play music at almost any 'ouse you go into these days. That's right, ain't it?"
"I suppose so." I said.
"Course it's right. But there ain't more'n a 'andful of folk 'oo can learn t'do what I do. 'Ow about that?"
"Amazing." I said.
"Bloody right it's amazin'." he said.
"I think I know what it is that you do." I said. "You do conjuring tricks. You're a conjuror."
"Me?" he snorted. "A conjuror? Can you picture me goin' round childrens parties an' makin' fings appear out of me 'at?"
"Then you're a Four House player. You get people into games and you deal yourself marvellous hands."
"Me! A stinkin' cardsharper!" he cried. "That's a low racket if ever there was one."
"All right then, I give up."
I was walking Nightshade slowly now, to make sure I didn't cause any more accidents. We had come onto the main Remusiat road and were bumping down the hill towards the dity wall.

Suddenly, my passenger was holding up a black leather belt in his hand. "Ever see this before?" he asked. The belt had a metal buckle of unusual design.
"Hey!" I said. "That's mine, isn't it? It is mine! Where did you get it?"
He grinned and waved the belt gently from side to side. "Where d'you fink I got it?" he said. "Off of the top of your breeches, o'course."
I reached down and felt for my belt. It was gone.

So, the plot thickens! Find out tomorrow how the story ends.......
« Last Edit: 18 July 2008, 07:45:43 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 18 July 2008, 16:14:25 »

Is that a scottish accent, written down, Tharoc? You know, some of our dearest friends are Scottish and I finally managed to understand Jim.

--> a Macanti in Remusiat    ?????

For Tharoc to enjoy:
Our friends lived in the same town in Southern England when we stayed there and I remember their rubbish bin well. They had a sticker on it saying:
"Keep Scotland tidy ......  dump your waste in England"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2008, 20:29:05 »

It's a Mancunian accent, Talia. That's Mancunian as in Manchester, England. I can see why you were confused though, when they are written down like that, Scottish and Mancunian do look very similar. It's a completely different matter when you hear them spoken, though!

I have some very good friends in Scotland who have very broad accents, people seem to understand them a lot easier than they do me.

When I am talking to my father, even Mrs W can't understand half of what we say, and she only comes from about 5 miles from where I was born.

Congratulations on translating Scottish, BTW!

Use the force, Luke.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2008, 20:38:09 »

Off topic, but I read this funny article about Cockney and how they make words to mean other things and some kind of rhyming thing...whatever. Who knew English had to be translated into English! Or Scottish into English... rolleyes

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2008, 20:45:39 »

I think you are referring to "Cockney rhyming slang" Az.

Apples & pears  =  Stairs
Whistle & flute  =  Suit
Gregory Peck  =  Deck  =  Floor
Boat race  =  Face
Mince pies  =  Eyes
Plates of meat  =  Feet

That is just a few of the more common ones. There are literally dozens more.

Believe me, there are so many regional dialects in this country, it's unbelievable. Even people from neighbouring towns have difficulty understanding each other sometimes.
It's funny when we go to a Harley rally, hundreds of people from the same country, trying to find someone with an accent they understand so they can ask for help translating the person sat next to them!

Use the force, Luke.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2008, 21:21:11 »

You put a man from the north and a man from the south in the same room.....They'll both speak english but neither will have any idea what the other is saying....its that serious....

Cockney Rhyming Slang you say!

Londoner's second language.....especially if you live in the east end....

Usually though....you say the word that doesnt rhyme...

Trouble and Strife= Wife i.e. 'promised the trouble'

Bubble Bath= Laugh i.e. 'you having a bubble?'

etc. etc. so on and so forth

It was actually invented so the victorian gentlemen could speak without the Police understanding what they said to each other- Clever eh?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 July 2008, 22:19:39 »

Well, Deci, it looks like we've got the unfathomable languages section well and truly sewn up!

We could make a fortune out of this, if we play it right!

Use the force, Luke.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2008, 22:21:30 »

Meet me in a shady alley for some inscrupulous plotting.....

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2008, 22:24:10 »

Erm......My mum said I shouldn't go anywhere with strange men. No offence, Deci, but I think you fall well inside that category.

Use the force, Luke.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2008, 22:56:37 »

Oh Im hardly a man....

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2008, 23:12:10 »

Still Off topic:
I didn't know, that England  - sorry, I mean the Brittish Islands - have such a diversity of dialects as well (I don't talk of Welsh now), I thought only in Germany Southerners would not understand "Platitudes". That "High" German speaking people don't understand dialects is another thing. But well, I have a strong dialect and 10 km away from my hometown is another strong one, kind of a cultural border. We do understand each other though, but the people I met first when I studied some 120 km away from home did have difficulties, lol.

I was deeply frustrated once in my life, concerning languages. I lived for over half a year near Oxford, in Abingdon on Themse, and was very proud, that with my former bad English I could understand the people quite well by now. One morning a man was at my door and asked me "something". "Something", I still don't know what it was, for I didn't understand a single word, no "and" or "with" or "you", nothing. I finally shrugged my shoulders and said too him, that we rented the house and that our estate agent was 'Finders Keepers' (another story), and that was all. He finally went away and I went back inside the house, sat at my kitchentable and looked frustrated out of the window!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 July 2008, 23:20:01 »

lol

If you compared my snobby southern tone to Mr Tharoc's Manchester one (you do actually come from arround Manchester don't you Tharoc?) I'm sure anyone could tell the difference!  The one I find hardest is Gordy, but a guy came into the shop I used to work in once and had such a strong Gloucestershire accent (I come from there myself) that I couldn't understand anything, even his name.  I asked him three times how to spell it, and still had no idea :P.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 July 2008, 01:00:49 »

@ Talia.  HA HA! The look you had on your face after meeting Mr What-did-you-just-say is a look I'm well accustomed to. I get it all the time, even when I'm still quite local to where I live.

@ Rookie.  Snobby? Are you forgetting that photo of you at the Oktoberfest? I don't mind Geordie, it's Scouse and Brummie that make me cringe. I quite like the Gloucestershire accent, BTW. It's a very "friendly" sounding dialect. Unlike mine, which someone once compared to be attacked by a dog! And yes, I'm from a town about 5 miles from Manchester center, called Ashton-under-Lyne, but I live about 2 miles from M/C now, in a town called Droylsden. Our house is bout a mile from the City of Manchester Stadium, where they had the Commonwealth Games, and where Manchester City now live.

@ Deci. Sorry about that, a slip of the tongue, I assure you!

@ All.  The language I've used in the Traveller story is a form of Mancunian, but I've partially "translated" it, as you would have no chance of understanding the way I speak if I wrote it as I say it! I'll do an entry in my dialect one day, just to see how long it takes for someone to decipher it.

Use the force, Luke.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 19 July 2008, 17:49:23 »

The problem will be, can you actually write it? There is a book written in my dialect which even I have to train reading, otherwise I would not understand it either. Loud reading is required to get it. Once accommodated, it is ok, but the first steps are difficult.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 580
Online Ever: 580
(Today at 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)