Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Thalambath  (Read 16072 times)
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2008, 01:20:20 »

I really like the look of those dark red sandstones, Talia. If you would be fine with that shade for the more common buildings, that'd be fine by me. :) Sand-coloured was actually probably a bad word from me, because I definitely did not want them to be like, yellow. So if what you linked is good in your opinion, I'd like that.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2008, 01:51:32 »

Fox, where do you live? It seems we need to talk out history stuff face to face ;)

The second city that comprises Thalambath was the city of Nosir. Built along the western edge of the Bay of Nosir, Nosir was originally a port town that supplied trade goods to Old Thalambath. When Old Thalambath developed the first distillation processes in the Norong’sorno, the expanding trade between the two cities and the increased economic edge from the ability to produce large amounts of fresh water allowed both to grow, until they eventually merged to form the capital city of Thalambath. The development that first combined these two cities is now known as the Inner City, which comprises of noble districts and fresh water warehouses at the base of the volcano. A wide, paved road runs down from the volcano to the docks at Old Nosir, where the dock can ship excess fresh water to Strata for trade.
I don't think you need to distillate fresh water, it might taste a bit strong, but otherwise? But Thalambath needs Nosir for its trade anyway, so this might be not a problem.
Strata has enough water supplies most of the year (at least I thought so ;) , but we can do something in this direction, maybe in certain months there is a water shortness and the growing city might have problems. --> history! 

As the city aged, it expanded eastwards. Capital districts and embassies emerged, along with larger markets for trade with landward Truban provinces, and many residential districts were built to support the expansion of the city’s growing power. Now, Thalambath stretches from Old Thalambath to the eastern edge of the Bay of Nosir.

I have a look later, let us decide at another time how big it should be.

In its modern incarnation, Thalambath now serves as the capital city of the Truban province as well as its major trading hub, having succeeded Strata in both areas in recent centuries. Many trading barges enter and leave the city every day by sea, and caravans travel outwards from the eastern edge of the city to smaller towns within the Truban province.

ahhh  ermm, no , we need to discuss this out first, there is no history written yet! That it is the current capital just because its name starts with T like Truban does not mean, that it exceeds Strata in all!.  Especially trade is not something which it is famous for! At current times Strata reigns the eastern seas (Stormcloaks!) and Varcopas (+Milkengrad) the western, with Varcopas still having the trade monopole for Nybelmar! So Thalambath might trade with the west coast of Aeruillin, but otherwise? It can be a great town without being a or the major trade hub.

In addition to trade, Thalambath has served as the major diplomatic center of the south since 602 b.S. Embassies for nations from both Nybelmar and Aeruillin can be found within the city, and any major public relations for the Santharian Kingdom with these foreign powers take place within Thalambath’s walls. In addition to foreign relations, a Ximaxian enclave has also long been a prominent presence in the city, facilitating joint arcane and alchemical research. There are even rumours that a functional portal exists within the enclave for rapid transit between these two bastions of magical might.

Again, that history is not yet written and I think Strata should be the capital for some time inbetween. No embassy for Nybelmar, that is only in Varcopas (trade monopol) . Don't forget, that the Nybelmarians are only here in Sarvonia for maybe thirty years. I don't think either, that it will be too important in its functions with the foreign powers. They will want to go to New Santhala and have their main embassies there and not in an though important, but nevertheless lesser capital of a province.   

Architecture.
The architecture of Thalambath is old, but well preserved, thanks to long-developed methods of building construction. Buildings are made out of dried sandbricks, reddish-orange blocks of sand, water, clay, and Loira Reed flakes that are framed into rectangular blocks and dried in the sun. These sandbricks are extremely durable even in heavy wind and prevent significant overheating in the interior of the buildings. Often, these sandbricks are coated with Nolk, a grayish-white paint-like composition of nor’sidian chips and water, limestone, chalk, and clay around particularly vulnerable areas of the building (such as window or door archways), which are more prone to erosion. Nolk is often used for simple artistic purposes as well.

From where do they take the clay and limestone in an volcanic area?? See comments above, take darker sand, dark coloured.Let's invent a special glue for it (based on a plant, I invent one for you) and you have a special appearance. 

While the majority of buildings are constructed of this sandbrick, the more elaborate manors and estates are made of pure nor’sidian. These come in black or near-black shades. Nor’sidian is much more difficult to work with, as the material must be shaped from still hot lava before it cools and in specific conditions, so only the most affluent tend to use it for construction. The Black Castle of Thalambath is known in part for its entire construction being out of nor’sidian, despite its great size. Nor’sidian is extremely durable and heat resistant, and thus buildings constructed out of it weather time extremely well, as seen by the Black Castle which, despite its age and desert location, was very well-preserved until the collapse during the Year of the Unification.

Formed from hot lava? I doubt that, this is too hot and even if we are in a fantasy world, we need to stay a bit realistic. A bit. I would use this idea for very special parts of buildings, extremely rare, expensive.. Why not just cut the dstones blocks? That needs a great effort and technic as well, but does not sound so impossible.

Most common buildings are anywhere from one to four stories high, straight rectangular in shape, often with a flat, square roof with the walls of the building reaching up to provide an exterior floor. Some of these roof-walls may end with sharp angles at the corners for aesthetics, though these are more prone to eroding so few buildings have them.
  Not so the basalt ones, I think
 Buildings with more sturdy construction often have wooden or stone supports for the roof, and these supports can sometimes be seen jutting outwards from the sides of the building under the roof. Many of these roofs are decorated with small, desert-friendly and low maintenance gardens or with racks for drying clothes in the sun, while others might have small worktables for pottery making. Many have some wooden stakes raised into the air onto which a coloured cloth drapery is held, blocking the sun and allowing one to sit outdoors during the day.

I think wood is available to a certain extent.  It could be harvested from some places where the rainforest is accessible - or we allow a hardy tree to grow on the slopes of the volcano 

The windows of most buildings are relatively small, either slitted or with a curved arch, and many poorer buildings have wooden stakes jutting out at an upwards angle, which hold a drapery over the window and block out the sun. More well off construction might have wooden or clay shutters. Many of these shutters usually have open holes to allow air to flow freely through the buildings while blocking out the sun, though those shutters that do are often sealed and unable to be opened to prevent thieves from easily entering. Only the very rare building uses glass, despite Thalambath’s ability to produce it, as these windows become easily tainted by sandstorms and do not allow airflow.

Clay shutters? 

Buildings are usually connected together and closely situated on streets like walls, so many have archways and pillars that span over the many alleys of the city and provide optimum shade. In some locations the archways are fully built and provide an open-air second story, thus completely shading the lower alley and allowing a second walkway to keep busier streets from becoming too crowded. The second story alley, and other alleys without the second story and without adequate archways, usually sport coloured cloth draperies spanning over multiple sections of the alley to provide shade.

Isn't it quite dark in these alleys with a fully archways?   

The richer manors however take on much more complex designs. These buildings can reach many stories in height, towering over the rest of the city, and are often exquisitely curved and sharp. Many are topped by simple black or gold domes or rippling spires, and the walls of the manors usually angle inwards towards the upper floors. These manors usually have fewer windows than more common buildings, though the windows that are present are generally highly embroidered, with golden metal in elegant shapes, and many are made of glass. Artistic edges and angles jut out from the upper stories of these manors, giving fearsome appearances, and some are adorned with carvings of gargoyles, demons, and other statues. The interiors of these buildings, primarily the flooring, are often coated with obsidian or otherwise heavily polished stone.

Ah, that's your picture, nice! (Though I didn't think of that ;) ) ) 

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2008, 02:13:31 »

Fox, where do you live? It seems we need to talk out history stuff face to face ;)

I live in California, there definitely won't be able to be face to face discussions. :P

I don't think you need to distillate fresh water, it might taste a bit strong, but otherwise? But Thalambath needs Nosir for its trade anyway, so this might be not a problem.
Strata has enough water supplies most of the year (at least I thought so ;) , but we can do something in this direction, maybe in certain months there is a water shortness and the growing city might have problems. --> history! 

I did the distillation before I realized just how much water the western penninsula gets. I thought that the Thalambath area was still fairly arid, so that the only major water source was from the ocean. But if there is enough rainfall to support it, I can take out the distillation stuff.

ahhh  ermm, no , we need to discuss this out first, there is no history written yet! That it is the current capital just because its name starts with T like Truban does not mean, that it exceeds Strata in all!.  Especially trade is not something which it is famous for! At current times Strata reigns the eastern seas (Stormcloaks!) and Varcopas (+Milkengrad) the western, with Varcopas still having the trade monopole for Nybelmar! So Thalambath might trade with the west coast of Aeruillin, but otherwise? It can be a great town without being a or the major trade hub.

I used the entries on Strata etc for this. The original Thalambath entry states: "Still the Thalambathians left the Stratanians with a ruined organisation, and the seemingly powerful city diminished in might bit by bit, while Thalambath grew steadily due to their experience in trade. Eventually Thalambath took over the leading role in the region of Truban at the cost of Strata."

Which seemed to imply that Thalambath took over the trading enterprises from Strata.

Again, that history is not yet written and I think Strata should be the capital for some time inbetween. No embassy for Nybelmar, that is only in Varcopas (trade monopol) . Don't forget, that the Nybelmarians are only here in Sarvonia for maybe thirty years. I don't think either, that it will be too important in its functions with the foreign powers. They will want to go to New Santhala and have their main embassies there and not in an though important, but nevertheless lesser capital of a province.   

Again, I got this impression from the Strata history:

"The Council of Stratania moves to Talambath
Governmental agendas of the Stratanians should from now on take place in Thalambath, not in Strata anymore. The leader of the city takes the title "King of the United South", easily overthrowing the Tristin of the weakened city."

That seems to imply that most important diplomatic relations happen in Thalambath. And I figured that relations with Nybelmar and Aeruillin would mostly take place in Thalambath (because of the shorter journeys), except for major ones that would take place in New Santhala.

From where do they take the clay and limestone in an volcanic area?? See comments above, take darker sand, dark coloured.Let's invent a special glue for it (based on a plant, I invent one for you) and you have a special appearance.

I got the impression that clay and limestone came from cliff formations from the ocean, so being a port city Thalambath would have access to it.

I do prefer the darker sandstones, though.

Formed from hot lava? I doubt that, this is too hot and even if we are in a fantasy world, we need to stay a bit realistic. A bit. I would use this idea for very special parts of buildings, extremely rare, expensive.. Why not just cut the dstones blocks? That needs a great effort and technic as well, but does not sound so impossible.

I didn't mean that the blocks are formed perfectly out of hot lava, but rather that Nor'sidian forms naturally from hot lava in specific conditions (just as Obsidian does), thus it would be much more rare, and then after it's dried, the blocks of it are mined out and shipped.

I think wood is available to a certain extent.  It could be harvested from some places where the rainforest is accessible - or we allow a hardy tree to grow on the slopes of the volcano 

Some wood, but I think it is fairly rare. The map shows there might be a small forest to the east by the Salt Pans? But I'm not sure how much usable wood would be there.

Clay shutters? 

I think that might have been a typo, I'll remove it.

Isn't it quite dark in these alleys with a fully archways?

I could rewrite this and add slits and braziers in the more fully covered corridors.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2008, 02:15:18 by Fox » Logged
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2008, 02:13:46 »

I need a break from your wonderful city, more tomorrow - hopefully!

If you look at the history table, it ends somewhere 60 a.S. and I wanted to rewrite it anyway ;)

well, we need to make this history, maybe rework the old one, if we like to have it differently. I did such an endeavour already with Curgan (He came with his Milkengradians and sacked Strata! tsss. ) and though it took its time it was very rewarding. We changed emails though, was easier to colour and all. You do not have a Mac by any chance, so we could use pages?

Now I'm gone!
« Last Edit: 21 July 2008, 02:18:50 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2008, 02:20:30 »

And maybe we can do Varcopas along with it. But do first the rest of the city and leave out history where possible. We could ask Art to change minor things later.

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2008, 12:36:06 »

Made some edits, hopefully fixing some of the issues you've had so far.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2008, 17:47:22 »

Fox, I will read through the rest first, hopefully today :)

Do you like the idea of a plant/animal which produces a substance which can be worked into a kind of glue which would help to form your bricks without clay?  Some weird ideas have filled my head in the last days, would be fun to write it down!

I have already a name : Firestar (and brickflower) and it is an animal which looks like a plant... I could use it for Strata as well, but it would fit better for Thalambath (red flowers on the black slopes of the Norong'sorno .. :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2008, 21:46:07 »

OOOoooh, like my Burrow Bachik? 

" Kavogerim live in individual underground courtyard homes known as HolHund (HolHund) - shafts sunk directly down into the packed sand and reinforced with a mud cement made primarily from the secretions of the burrow bachik (a Nybelmarian beast about the size and appearance of a badger crossed with a lizard... it digs tunnels in the dry sand and compacts them with a brown slime that it produces from large ‘nipples’ around its neck area. The slime hardens to a cement-like consistency, making the tunnel semi-permanent.) "

You can read the expansion of what someone else wrote about them here: http://www.santharia.com/bestiary/burrow_bachik.htm - needs revision and proofing in a bad way, but there are so many other priorities....

Perhaps there was some cross-fertilization between the continents, or a prehistoric 'remnant' from when they were one landmass, or some sailors brought actual beasts back and they thrived in the Thalambath climate?  Or simply a case of parallel development?    Anyhow, feel free to use any ideas from the Bachik if you like!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2008, 23:54:42 »

A Badger crossed with a lizard? Do you and Talia drink in the same tavern, Fox?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2008, 00:57:11 »

I like those ideas, Talia and Judy. :)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2008, 01:08:35 »

Now I remember this beast, Judy - no, I was thinking at something else...  I will squeeze it in between some work.. it is again such a thing which forces me to write it down immediately, but I can't type fast enough, especially not while in bed half dreaming..

Tharoc, I'm sure Judy, Fox and I have been drinking in some dark tavern together.. where was it? In Bardavos? I can't remember .. ;)

Actually, I tried to do a true mixture out of plant of animal, but I don't know yet, if it will work, my biology studying kids will lynch me..

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2008, 05:29:18 »

Fox, you are the next on my list..

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 08 August 2008, 07:34:25 »

People.
Many exotic people have inhabited Thalambath over many centuries. Though the Truban province is traditionally thought to be the domain of the Shendar and Stratanians alone, Thalambath has existed even before those two peoples arrived. Though most refer to the citizens of the city as Stratanians ever since Strata’s former political importance in the Santharian Kingdom, native Thalambathians see that title as an insult. Instead, those who carry the heritage of the original settlers of the city call themselves the Thalam, and they believe that they still carry the ancient blood of Kaizoumetráns. Considered a rich and untainted blood, the most important and powerful positions in Thalambath hierarchy are reserved for pureblooded Thalam alone.

Principally yes, though I think that one cannot speak of the Stratanian people. It is more a political structure, an alliance forced upon several towns which have not much in common. Shendar may be the base to Strata and Varcopas, are surely found in Thalambath as well, but otherwise Strata and Varcopas have not much in common and Thalambath has his long history anyway.

I don't know, if you can still speak of pure blood people form the Lost Tribe, they are considered to be extinct. They must have mixed during the 10 000 year since they are more or less extinct. Either they have really a birthmark (a strange earform e.g. ) or generally the darker skins are seen as "noble", but otherwise? There were enough wars that not much of a written or testified heritage can have survived.  I think it will be difficult to introduce this now in the already given history - we added them later. Maybe don't say it so strict, that high ranks are for pureblood only, this can lead us into difficulties later, maybe formulate it a bit more vague. Maybe there are people who only believe, that they  are the descendants of this lost tribe, but that somehow mostly people with certain characteristics enter high ranks in the government.
Thalam is a good name.   

This class distinction is a prominent aspect of Thalambathian society. The city’s longstanding independence has allowed it to maintain its ancient values, and Thalambath has made strides to keep foreign influences out of its development. In Thalambath, those of valued blood have higher power, and those who have lesser power have lesser blood. Blood is always given as the explanation for one’s power—while pureblooded Thalam have naturally greater status, an impoverished Thalam is considered to have somehow tainted or cursed blood which dulls the value of his blood, thus preventing him from rising to higher power. The purest blood is that of the Seven, the priesthood, and the wizards, as the Thalam believe that such blood is what fuels magical power. Those arcanists who do not possess pure blood, such as the magi of Ximax, are considered to be the equivalent of thieves, making covenants with demons in exchange for the power of magic, and that such stolen magic is vastly inferior to the might of pureblooded arcanistry.

I see you need your pureblood, but I still think, it is  too easy  and a picture painted too black and white. You are an independent  writer for the compendium, say, that these people believe,that they can track their lines back to the lost tribe, but doubt it. Over the centuries they must have let in fresh blood.
Have you thought about what makes somebody "pureblood"?

The aspect of class runs down throughout Thalambath culture. The city is one of the few remaining in Southern Sarvonia that supports slavery, for instance, and women and members of other races also face discrimination.
Slavery is forbidden in Santharia, if you have it, it must be somewhat hidden.
Have the non pure blood citizens more rights than the foreigners? 

Up until active trading began,
When,was it closed, have to reread the entry ?   Thalambath was highly isolated, and limited access to the region to only specific individuals. While in modern times, the city is far more open to travelers, non-civilians still require a Trade Coin to walk freely in the city. These coins are granted to all travelers coming by sea, but must be returned to legally leave the city, again by sea. To travel outside of the city, within the borders of the Thalambath duchy, requires a Travel Coin. Getting a Travel Coin is more difficult than a Trade Coin, as the individual must fill out various forms of paperwork and provide payment, and these expire after six months. Frequent travelers of high standing may be granted or purchase more permanent Coins of Loyalty or Coins of Citizenship, but these can be permanently revoked on evidence of criminal charges. Being caught in Thalambath’s borders without a passcoin is considered a criminal offense and can be punished with hefty fines with one warning, up to exile or even death for repeat offenders, who are classified as foreign agents.

That is a cool concept, but who needs that trade coin - non civilians - soldiers? Why let them in in the first place?   

This strict form of border monitoring has been one of the largest factors for the strife between Thalambath and the Shendar over the centuries, as Thalambath has been known to arrest or execute Shendar that are found within Thalambath’s borders, despite the Shendar’s nomadic lifestyle. Currently, Thalambath maintains heavy patrols, walls, and defensive outposts at its borders.
What about the traderoute along the coast from Strata via the Yar'Dangs to Thalmabath? And to the Cari'cari oasis (run by Shendar). And keep in ind, that paper is still valuable. 

Overall, however, the people of Thalambath are a private, suspicious, but prideful population. They place great value on their culture, pleasurable activities, knowledge, and artwork, and believe that many provinces are jealous of Thalambath’s wealth and status, a jealousy that they fear has the potential to turn into full-scale war despite the peace within the Santharian Kingdom. Nevertheless, Thalambathians do not desire conquest and have stayed out of many of the wars that have plagued other kingdoms prior to the unification. They would rather build down, not out, and have an intense scholarly pursuit to uncover the secrets of the Kaizoumetrá empire and other ancient facts as well as a swelling of pride that leads to the pursuit of the perfection of self. Most peoples of Thalambath are either historians or artists, and while the city may not be as outwardly colourful as Strata or Varcopas, they make up for it through their architecture, carvings, and personal works of art such as tapestry, pottery, and paintings. Most citizens have lavishly decorated interiors, and adorn their homes with the visual history of their own life experiences. Most citizens can read and write, as they pride themselves on their expansive knowledge, and even the poorest citizen is a scholar, using the interior walls of his house as a journal to write of his discovers instead of bound notebooks or parchment.

" Most peoples of Thalambath are either historians or artists" - don't you think, that is a bit exaggerated? Where are your common people? Or do the bakers form their bread loafs in an artistic way? Knows the shoemaker about the ancient wars? Either describe it this way, or say, that whoever is rich enough to be able to afford a little free time does it with studying history or painting etc.

I'm not sure now, did you think your city has mostly inhabitants of the Lost tribe? Does the people support their government,are they pride to be Thalambath's citizens despite they are not from the pure blood? Or does everyone BELIEVE , that a little of that blood flows in his vessels and therefore they accept the "blood-hierarchy"??

There is a dark shadow over Thalambath’s inhabitants, however. While the kingdom of Thalambath has not bothered with war over other nations,
why not? I would not generalise that.   
 it has kept a strong grip over its own. Foreigners are not the only ones who feel the chokehold in Thalambath’s looming walls. The city is very silent for a trading capital, and deals are made quietly and cleanly, for while Thalambath is a city of fine luxury to the hardworking, those who slip between the cracks are forever beyond aid, and no crime, however small, goes unpunished. One needs only look up at the immense black citadels to realize the power of Thalambath’s authority.
What about crime? Does it flower nevertheless, for everybody is forced to go underground,if he has to fear punishment for smaller things already? Is there a resistance? Supported by Strata? Or are most citizens loyal?(That would be boring)
Coat of Arms.
[...]

Climate.
Thalambath is extremely hot despite receiving more annual rain than its competitor, Strata. While its large buildings and enormous walls provide excellent shading in many paths through the city for most hours of the day, the nor’sidian stone used to construct the larger manors and walls results in extremely warm air. Stepping outside of the buildings assaults one with thick, dry air that hangs lifelessly and in the warmer hours of the day can even suffocate those who are unprepared. This hot air results in the heavy heat ripples seen by those approaching Thalambath from a distance.

I think general climate would not necessarily support this, but we can place Thalmabath on a nice warm underground.. hot springs in the middle of the town?   

Rain in Thalambath is exceedingly rare, like most locations in Truban, however, its location along the coast and the winds traveling through the Nirmenith Mountains and Mount Norong’Sorno sometimes manage to bring rainfall to the city during the winter years, averaging only a few times a year, sometimes as much as once or twice a month in ‘colder’ winters, though there is more along the western peninsula, allowing decent farming in that region. More often than rain however are heavy winds and sandstorms coming out of the eastern edges of the city, which result in thick black and grey clouds, thunder and sometimes lightning that strikes the tall buildings, and near-hurricane strength dry winds. These winds mostly impact the high walls of the city, and are then funneled through the buildings to the point that an unwary individual may be knocked off their feet and choked from the large amounts of sand and dust carried by these winds. These powerful gusts are also not cool as one would expect them to be, and assail one with a hot force that makes one wish for no wind at all.
Is hurricane possible or is it the name for certain earthen storms?   

These winds are so violent that even those inside of the buildings can hear them as they impact against the walls, threatening to rip the ancient city from its berth. Ships tied to the docks along the Aetyram Sea must be securely fastened and their rigging is safest completely removed and placed below decks or in the stone warehouses along the shore. Even then, however, ships are often torn apart by these winds, and most captains avoid the city entirely when there is proof of an approaching storm, or pay the exorbitant fees for one of the massive stone ship houses along the waterside.

These hurricanes occur more often than rain, and can happen as often as three to four times a month in winter months and as often as once or twice every two months during warmer seasons.
Very interesting, that could be the reason for Strata's rise to power! 

Night in Thalambath does not do much to significantly cool the city like the frigid temperatures one would expect from other locations in the desert. The stone and nor’sidian buildings keep the heat trapped long after the sun has gone down, and nights remain fairly warm, though much more bearable than during the day.

Flora.
Unlike some of the other major cities in Truban, Thalambath has limited amounts of flora outside of its farms. While some independent citizens might grow vegetable gardens on their roofs or on window ledges, there is very little visible greenery within the city beyond some sparsely placed sarauno cacti, adan’sonia trees, brown grass, or other small shrubbery.

There are, however, many irrigated farms west of Old Thalambath at the town of Nihrayus and along the northern districts of the city where the mineral-rich soil from dried lava flows allow better crop growth. These farms use freshwater from rainfall (especially on the western peninsula) as well as that produced by the volcanic distillation to grow crops and feed livestock. These farms cannot produce enough on their own to feed the entire city, however, so Thalambath also receives regular supplies of crops from the northern town of Sefusiht, where successful harvesting can be done thanks to the fertile lands of the Oka’Seri swamp and the Nirmenith River, though reliance on Sefusiht decreased after Thalambath became a major trading hub.

Do you really need these two TOWNS? You only hab´ve to feed ore people. Villages would be ok.  I'm not sure about the size of the farming land and if Thalambath could feed itself if all the land west of it would belong to it.

Fauna.
Thalambath has a more diverse system of fauna than might be expected from an arid city. Like the rest of the desert however, most of these animals are quite subtle in practice, and many hide during the day, though the shade has allowed some to thrive while others sleep.

The most common ‘pest’ animals are, like most cities, mice, both of the foreign Dune Mice variety as well as the more local Flying Mice, also called Sand Mice. The flying mice of Thalambath are small, sand-coloured rodents, and have only a short, stubby tail. Their hind legs are large and powerful, however, and these mice can leap long distances. Beyond just leaping, their skin stretches, and they are able to glide over expanses of air, allowing these mice to traverse easily between the multiple layers of Thalambath. They come out mostly during the night, and tend to scavenge on food left in the streets or in warehouses.

Offsetting these highly mobile pests are the Rahaz’Norong, or more commonly Thalambath Snakes. These non-poisonous and quick snakes are a dark, sandy-coloured reptile that tends to keep to the shadows of the city, but are awake during the day, where they seek out the sleeping mice. Most citizens of the city leave the snakes in peace in order to remove the mice, so the snakes have learned to ignore human presence and are quite tame to be around.

Aside from the wild denizens of the city, many of Thalambath’s richer population keep boar-faced coyotes or ly’caón as companions. The coyotes are slender, sooty-furred dogs were once diggers and scavengers in the ash-covered hills of the Norong’sorno, and many are still used as hunters of the Thalambath mice. However, many have come to serve as simple household pets. Most are gray or dull-yellow, and have long, narrow snouts and large, fan-shaped ears. The ly’caón are similar in appearance to the coyotes, but are not as prominent around the Norong’sorno.

Some common livestock are also bred on the farms west of Old Thalambath.
Those mice and snakes are great! 

Resources.
Surprisingly, Thalambath is an excellent source of fresh water in the Truban province. There is plenty of rain for farming on the peninsula, and some of it is collected and bottled for sale. Thus, Thalambath has been an exporter of fresh water to the rest of the region for many years, even before it expanded openly to major trade.
bottled? Glass is expensive, so look for another way of transportation - hides?   

Other popular trade items include nor’sidian, obsidian, lead, copper, rhyolite, granite, sandstone, limestone, quartz, brimstone, burning stones, clay, feldspar, and glass, as well as various tapestries and other forms of artwork. In times of excess production, some grainery and wheat from the western peninsula farms are sold, as well as fresh fish. Iron and gold are also mined, but rarely exported in their raw form, instead being used extensively in their respective crafts.

That is a bit too much! Mention only the really important ones! Leave granite, limestone and  sandstone out, for granite is Varcopas domain. (Where from should it come on that fresh volcanic rock?) You get anyway another export item with that glue I promised. 

A major item that Thalambath is known for exporting is weaponry. Due to the Mithrilansalt collected in the Aj'nuvic Grounds    and acquired from trade with the Shendar, Thalambath has developed an exceptional business for weapon forging. Using traces of Mithrilan in everything from kitchen knives to large, double-handed swords and maces, most weapons produced in Thalambath are stronger and lighter than if they were built elsewhere. Thalambath does trade some of the raw Mithrilan as well, but most of it is used straight away and then the end products themselves are subsequently exported.

One of the most recently expanding franchises has been the trade of gem beetle jewelry, exotic and richly coloured ornaments made from the glassed carapaces of Truban’s native gem beetles. This form of jewelry, while expensive, is significantly cheaper to produce than equivalent ornaments made from actual gemstones, yet they appear just as regal and elegant as any true gem.

I hope I did not tell too much nonsense.

Add some grey shades, otherwise it is fine. Not as I expected, but  that was to expect, wasn't it? ;)

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2009, 14:55:57 »

I've finally updated this, including the changes Talia suggested as well as finishing the previously unfinished 'Layout' section, vastly detailing the look and culture of the city.

Sorry for the length, I used Deci's Marmarra for inspiration...

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 11 March 2009, 18:39:37 »

Huhu Fox!

I'm eager to go over it again and would love to do it right now, but I need to stay true to my selfimposed working schedule, so it might take a week or more till I'm back (I'm away for a few days).

And I need to finish that glue-flower'!

That does  not mean, that not somebody else could read it meanwhile ---> sees Gean online ;)
« Last Edit: 11 March 2009, 18:41:14 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 337
Online Ever: 562
(Yesterday at 02:54:50)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)