Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kalta'Goor - Isle of the Snow Drake  (Read 8980 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2008, 06:12:21 »

I guess you also don't mention an approximate size of the island... You could deduce that somewhat from the Northern Sarvonian Monster map.

You could of course go to the distances thread as well, take the normal map of Caeel'heroth and extrapolate from there, might be easier. Or ask Talia to do it for you  ;)

Kalta'Goor:
length east west: 360 strals
north to south: 230 strals
from peak to peak 120 strals.

I don't think though, that she can have a correct idea of the size if she was not able to surround it with a ship by clear and calm weather northat we need a correct size.  With the snow falling so often and fog around as well, she might not have had much of a clear view.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2008, 23:56:49 »

Thanks Arti and Talia!  :D

I'll get to work revising right away. There are some ways I can add some mysteriousness to the island, I agree. Some of the names I have yet to come up with as well, hence the XXX.

You're not letting your territory up there unresearched, now don't you?

What do you mean, Arti? Was confused...(not hard to do with me... :P)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2008, 23:16:54 »

Edits complete!

Your comments are addressed in Yellow, Arti. I did not color all of the little grammar/spelling issues, so I hope you trust that I indeed made them.

I've kept much of the entry in first person journal format so as to give the reader a first hand account of the drakes. My intention was to give the drakes an air of mystery - they are very rare, as mentioned in the main drake entry, and were seen in only two of six journeys.

I also changed Khrosh'uag-oc to Aeh'os'th'er'oc. As my history tables suggest, the Aeh'os'th'er'oc were the main orcen tribe on Caael'heroth before their civil war that split the tribe into two clans - the Aeh'os'th'er'oc and the Osther-Oc. It made more sense to me to build on the Aeh'os'th'er'oc right now. The origins of the Khrosh'uag-oc are still in development, although both clans could have a historical tie to the islands, but I've only named one. I wasn't about to develop the entire histories of two orc tribes over one island... buck

Possible further entries that could spawn from this one include: the researcher Ihea Miwone, the Icetear fern, the ice crystals, and the silverpearl fish.  thumbup I don't think I'll write them up anytime soon...so they're open for the taking.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2008, 23:20:43 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2008, 04:44:32 »

Arti,

Any word on my little drake island here? No rush...just haven't heard from you lately.  heart heart heart

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2008, 15:00:52 »

Ah yeah... I plan to get this in, Azhira! Have to read it again in detail on integration, but I'm confident it's fine now :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2008, 11:27:21 »

Actually Arti...I want to hold off integrating this until Alysse and Tharoc give their approval first. I kinda developed several orcen concepts and history that were previously not there, nor were they even discussed with them. Nothing major, I don't think...I hope my Northern Comrades approve.  grin
« Last Edit: 24 August 2008, 11:29:41 by Azhira El´rosse » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2008, 12:32:05 »

Okay, a couple of corrections:

Under "Description":

The name "Kalta'Goor" is thought to originate from a now extinct orcen dialect called "Org'kom'gh". It roughly translated means "Ice Fangs".

and

The eastern shores of the island are dominated by high, jagged rocks that protrude from the snow.

Under "Fauna":

The Guldorian Snow Drake is covered along its eight-ped-long-body in cyhalloian snow-coloured fur  (please, just say "white".   The colours are just given for reference.  I mean, we don't say things like "the pelt was deep obsidian", we say "it was black."  Right?)

Under "The Snow Drake Dines":

seal's remains, what little was left, were abandoned.

Under "Clash of the Dragons":

The dragon was covered in bloody wounds while the group of six drakes was now down to three.

That was all I could find.  This is absolutely marvelous, Azhira!  I love it!  Unless Tharoc has any major concerns, I say this entry is just fine with me.  But I'm not sure what plans he may have for the orcs, so we should get his input if possible.

Good work! thumbup thumbup

Alysse
« Last Edit: 24 August 2008, 12:41:21 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2008, 15:01:16 »

Well, I've already prepared the entry (Alysse's corrections are integrated), except History, and Alysse is fine with it. Due to the circumstances that I've forgotten by history table generator program I've coded in Vienna (I'm now with my Mom, celebrating her 60th birthday this weekend), I have to add the history later anyway. So I guess we can add the main entry at any rate, and should there be problems with history stuff this can still be addressed and updated before it gets on site. - Sounds ok, Azhira?
« Last Edit: 24 August 2008, 15:08:31 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2008, 16:37:09 »

History is also prepared now, will be available the next update :)

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2008, 11:38:51 »

Great! Thanks Arti! I almost forgot I even had a history section for this entry...lol

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2011, 02:07:38 »

SMALL REVISION: The "fern" mentioned in the entry is actually the tearfrost flower, later changed and never updated in this entry.

Flora. The near constant snowfall and overcast skies make for a harsh environment for many kinds of flora that would require sun and hardy soil. Hence, one would not find many kinds of green flora on the island.

However, one such unique flower does grow on the island and that is the Tearfrost flower. The flower is unique in that it can grow in cold, hard soil and the seedling pushes its way through the snow to produce fantastic translucent blooms. The leaves of the flower are a shimmering light blue in colour with pure white stalks. The plant requires little to no sunshine and the cold climate enhances its blooms.

AND

Resources. The island of Kalta'Goor has no natural resources to speak of as there is no evidence that the ancient Aeh'Os'th'er'oc tribe ever produced any natural resources from the island. However, Ihea surmises that the Tearfrost flower could possibly be used as a magic reagent and be quite valuable in performing spells from the Ximaxian water school of magic. The flower's cold properties and unique way of survival among the cold climate of the island could perhaps be studied further by a trained herbalist.

« Last Edit: 10 September 2011, 02:11:08 by Azhira Styralias » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2011, 14:52:27 »

Okeydokey - entry was now updated on the site, Azhira!  cool

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]