Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: A Santharian Petition for Justice  (Read 20284 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2008, 18:31:18 »

The official document we are about to send (names still need to be added of course) was now completed and can be downloaded here. I'll add it as well in the intital post. Thanks go especially to Alysse and Bard Judith for helping me revise the document!

Thanks go as well to everyone who supported the cause, or is still going to add his or her signature.

P.S. Further currently absent long-term members will be informed soon about the petition as well.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2008, 18:33:07 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2008, 05:23:16 »

Derek Cale Coulter - Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2008, 06:00:13 »

My email to Arti, name ommited.

Hi Arti,

In hopes of keeping my internet backround non-existent for as long as possible, I'm choosing to email you my name and nationality. This story was, I guess painful, to read. One can only hope that so many voices can make difference.

Hope no one minds... But now I'm still an X-factor when it comes to names. I could be a Bart or a Guillermo... but you guys will never know.  :D

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Akorn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2008, 06:38:28 »

Been a long time since I've been here, my account must have been deleted some time ago. Not the happiest of circumstances that brought me back, I feel I should sign this petition as I remember from my time here.

Are Hauge Braaten from Norway.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 02 September 2008, 10:37:20 »

I signed on the RP board, but I will here as well.

Shara Thomas  Nebraska, USA

Aaron Thomas Nebraska, USA

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Raygon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 September 2008, 11:47:46 »

Go ahead and add me.  this guy deserves to be somewhere where other people dont have to worry about him

Raven McCanless  - American (United States)
Curgan
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2008, 14:08:40 »

Add me too

Daring over power, risking against prudent advise and hoping when in danger.

Thucidides
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 September 2008, 15:20:34 »

Hello,  while I'm equally disturbed by this development I'm not sure what the goal of the petition is concerning a trial that obviously still circulates in the Canadian justice system. I would be worried if politicians can intervene at this point into the proceedings as it is is clearly the responsibility of the judiciary to work things out.

I was wondering what the legal options of the persecution are (actually what are they doing)? Can they or the attorney general overturn the ruling of an independant court judge short of proving him unfit for work? Can they bring the issue before a higher court (before the trial of appeal starts) to overturn the bail?

From a humane point of view you have my signature and as a gesture I wholeheartely support the gesture but I'm wondering if other than to the attorney general or the actual persecution to spur them on I'm kind of split on involving politicians. Assuming that Canada has a western, civilized society I hope the separation of power is in place barring politicians from meddling into trials and the ex post facto principle is in place barring them from artificially changing stuff around in hindsight at a whim. But I do not know enough about Canada's workings  to pass an educated judgement...

Holger Göbber, Germany.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 02 September 2008, 15:48:41 »

@Rakshiri: From Gaston's explanations (more details in the Moot Forum) it appears that it is consensus among those who are concerned about this release, that the Judge of Appeal had overstepped his responsibilities and did something (a release of a murderer!) that was not covered properly in Canadian law yet. It's pretty much a loophole that he could do this, despite it goes against all common sense. The intention of the law cannot be that killers can be permitted to run around until the court decides on further steps (this is different with other crimes like fraud, theft etc.). The AFPAD/MMPFA therefore seeks an adjustment of the law to prevent such things from happening in the future as well.

@Akorn: Nice to see you stop by and support the cause! :) Hope everything's fine up there in Norway with you! Your old password didn't work BTW because we moved to a new board, and in that process we could transfer the usernames, but not the passwords, because we couldn't get that from the old ezBoard. That's why usernames needed to be reactivated individually after the transfer.

General note: I also got a bunch of confirmations of members via e-mail who want to be on the list, e.g. Ingeborg (Cecila Flaten), our artist from Chile, people from the RPG board etc. - So thanks again to everyone for making sure that we've got enough names up there!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 September 2008, 21:15:06 »

Hello Art, I tried to read through all the various stuff but the main aspect still confuses me: He is currently in limbo between an appeal and his former conviction or has his appeal succeeded?

The Former seems a rather difficult thing to judge without intimate knowledge of how the law works here because technically the conviction might not be in effect until after the appeal has been deemed unjustified because otherwise a theoretically innocent person might be punished although the appeal hints at the possibility of errors in the conviction. I'm not a legal expert.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 02 September 2008, 21:32:40 »

The appeal to reverse the sentence or declare that it isn't valid is under way. It lasts 6-18 months until someone will actually decide this. There was a decision that needed to be made right now whether the culprit has to stay in prison until that decision or not. And the appeal judge said: It is in the interest of the public that the murderer is free until this decision is made. And thus Mailhot is free on bail right now.

The AFPAD/MMPFA seeks an amendment of the law in this case, so that if  the crime is murder the culprit should stay in prison if he got a sentence against him. Right now a single judge can decide without limits who to release until the appeal is handled, regardless of the sentence.

(This is also explained a bit better in the last mail I posted from Gaston in the Moot Forum. I tried to rephrase that now as clearly as possible. Admittedly, it's a bit difficult to piece it all together.)
« Last Edit: 02 September 2008, 21:45:40 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September 2008, 02:26:28 »

Ok, thanks, now I'm understanding it better. I'm however afraid that this works as intended though it didn't work this time. Can't hurt to make the judges think about the consquences and reasoning of their decisions a little longer.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 September 2008, 02:35:21 »

@ Dru.  I know!  And I know other things as well!! *Holds out hand behind back, waiting for the satisfying weight of a purse of coin*

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 03 September 2008, 02:58:29 »

*drops aforementioned purse, in the happy certainty that by tonight he will have some very interresting parchments to erh.. decode, considering Tharocs writing style**

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Hylphán
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Life's too short, Write it as you experience it!

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 03 September 2008, 10:28:42 »

Add my name, as well as  my wife's (if it's not to late)

Reverend Robert Young
Lynda Young

Guam, USA

Fair wind and following seas...

Hylphán's CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]