Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: The Mists of Osthemangar - 4th Edition  (Read 26291 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 29 January 2010, 02:43:57 »

I'm not sure how good I am at layman's terms.  undecided But I really tried! Let me know if anything seems too obscure, or not understandable:

Scholars of enchantments at Ximax academy term the effects of the Mists as “taintings,” areas that slowly change the make-up of the cár’áll of an individual, generally altering the natural balance to cause negative changes in both mind and body. The kind of effects the Mists produce create more lasting effects because, in addition to bringing about the effects (such as madness or deformations, caused through the manipulation of ounía and xeuá links), the Mists also alter the meta-states of the links. This makes the effects more or less permanent.

The longer an individual stays in the Mists, the more drastically their cár’áll is likely to be changed, and the longer it will take an individual’s willpower to overcome the changes and restore a natural state. After a significant period in the Mists, the changes may be effectively irreversible: they are so drastic that the willpower loses control over the cár’áll, making it unable to restore normalcy.

Taintings, like all “enchantments,” must be brought about through willpower. Most of the scholars at Ximax attribute darker willpowers are energies as the source of these changes, though this matter remains hotly debated.

I also wrote a poem.  :D I don't know if you want it for this entry. If not, I can always post it in the library or something. [The poem is to make up for my poor explanation of taintings in layman's terms   buck]

The night is growing frost and chill
Where sun is never missed,
The darker demons rising now
From somewhere in the Mists.

The scream of beasts that none have seen
With flesh clenched in their fists
I see them in my nightmares stalking
deep inside the Mists.

And I deny the calls to come--
the beckoning I resist--
I know that these would draw me down
to terrors in the Mists.

Men return from out that place
Insane, in madness kissed
with body like an emptied jar,
mind haunted by the Mists.

They drown in lakes, or hang themselves
at times they slice their wrists
To flee the ghosts that followed them
from out the curséd Mists

These shades and shadows talk to me
Each slithering voice persists
Convincingly reminding me
to journey to the Mists.

At the edge, the winds turn violent.
The shadows spin and twist.
At last the demons steal my soul,
and draw me in the Mists

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 30 January 2010, 12:46:36 »

clap clap clap

What a wonderful poem, Rayne! So chilling and awesome! I'll need to think of a backstory to include it. And the taintings explanation will work great. I've included it in its entirely under the Myth/Lore section. Now I have a good excuse for some tainted enchantments.  evil

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #92 on: 27 February 2010, 03:03:42 »

Update of the entry will be included in this week's update -  in case you figure out where to place the poem (title? intro need if in Library section) please let me know!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 27 February 2010, 03:55:38 »

Yes, I suppose the 3rd Edition of the Mists of Osthemangar is ready! At least, until I find some other reason for a 4th edition someday. Due to the active development of the Osthemangar region, this entry will be regularly updated.

Please include Rayne's poem in the Library. Is there a special Northern lore/poem section in the Library? Maybe with my Kaaer story.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 19 October 2010, 05:58:45 »

Another small update to the Mists entry! All revisions colored ORANGE. I rewrote the Overview and some of the entry sections. I moved some of the Description to the Territory because it didn't flow well. I updated the new Wyrmrot Spire section too as well as the dates from the last History revision.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #95 on: 19 October 2010, 06:33:31 »

The next time I want to frighten myself, I read this piece in one go... ;)  Good additions!  thumbup

This was a bit unclear to me:

The Wyrmrot Spire

The southern fringes of the Mists of Osthemangar hide many dark secrets of an evil past. One such oft whispered bit of lore concerns the now decrepit tower known to the local orc tribes as "Rhazga'mish" (orcen lit. “Wyrm rot”). If the old orcen legends are to be believed, this tower of shadow was once a temple to the Chaos God where the ancient dark elves worshiped during the Age of Sundering when Caaehl’heroth was the domain of the elven and  orcen rebels from the sundered empire of  Fá'áv'cál'âr. Today, the tower stands as an ominous monument that has been seemingly dormant for many centuries. Yet, as anyone familiar with the Netherworld  Mists knows, nothing is ever truly asleep in the warped region of Osthemangar.

The Injerin ranger and explorer Saryas Kelweather first discovered this odd structure in 1440 a.S. Near the north end of the Cartashian Woods stands a massive spire said to be made of the bone of an immense dragon. The orcs and Mist Hunters avoid the spire as they believe it to be deeply cursed . Kelweather described it as such:

Do you refer with the underlined part to the last paragraph? Then the following is a bit strange, or is it another tower you are speaking of? Is just a   :  missing?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 19 October 2010, 08:39:12 »

I'm bookmarking this, so to speak. It seems extremely interesting. Yes... it does...
I'll read it when I wake up this afternoon.

:: cruciform kaleidoscope (Dev. Schedule) ::
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 19 October 2010, 22:52:51 »

Any of my comments will be in the colour of DANGER. I don't expect there to be many. Most of it will likely be stylistic commentary.

I just have a question, too. Is it pronounced Ost-em-ang-ar? (With a hard 't' and a hard 'g' sound) or with a soft 'th' sound?

Orange = New Revisions

The Mists of Osthemangar[/size]

Overview.

In the far northwestern reaches of the peninsula of Caaehl’heroth in Northern Sarvonia, a region known as Osthemangar is engulfed in a thick, vaporous mist. This tainted land has been poisoned by the touch of the Netherworld, so many a sage claims, in that those who travel Osthemangar are changed forever.  Twisted and corrupted creatures stalk the grey fog in search of prey amidst ancient broken towers and fields of bone. Hidden deep within the mists stands a structure like none other in all of Caelereth. This spire of pure malevolence is known as the dreaded Deep Winds Portal of Osthemangar. (While there's nothing wrong with the sentence here, it just sounds like "dreaded" is part of the name. Perhaps "This dreaded spire ..." or something might be better?) According to incomplete historical accounts, this tower (actually said to be a group of spires) was built ages ago by the rebel dark elves of Fá'áv'cál'âr who were bent on bringing forth Coor’s (Isn't there an ó in Coór?) chaotic influence into the world. According to elven legend, when the rebellious dark elves called upon the power of the shadow god, the tower opened its fetid maw and a gateway was created into the blighted lands of the Netherworld. A hungry mist seeped forth from this portal that has slowly spread corruption over the land, like a disease, devouring everything in its path. Today, the mists are spread over a distance of many leagues covering a size comparable to one of Santharia’s provinces or larger. (That's a considerably vague size...) Some scholars have come to the terrible realization that the fog is continuing to spread until, eventually, all of Caelereth will be blanketed with the tainted mists. Other than those few notes, I like this Overview. It definitely draws me in and makes me want to keep reading.   

Description.

The Withering Plains

Before one reaches the Mists itself, a tumultuous journey across the Plains of Ehelvin is required. The journals of the Erpheronian explorer Marvan Swiftrook describes the plains in his journals found within the Mists some 200 years after his death in 1200 a.S. He describes it thusly:

"Coming from the coastline east of the tower, one can begin to feel the weight of dread and despair, even from that distance. The plains of Ehelvin are cold and dry, with grey-brown soil devoid of any lush growth. Instead, barren trees and thorny wild bushes dot the landscape like gnarled fingers being thrust up from the ground. The sight of flocks of birds or grazing beasts is rare. One such creature, which I have dubbed the the "whither bird", can be seen soaring overhead, shrieking loudly as it drops down on wandering grall worms (an orcen delicacy), devouring them in a few quick bites. Some of the eastern regions are decorated with the occasional lonely boulder that looks to have been dropped haphazardly from the sky or small hills that resemble warts upon wrinkled, dried up skin."

His journal goes on to describe another hazard of the plains. Pools of multicoloured, viscous ooze dot the plains landscape. (I'd like to see these previous two sentences merged together. It's just a personal stylistic comment, but it seems to me that the first sentence is a little quick-to-finish and a bit blunt.) Most of these pools can be easily seen and avoided as they bubble quite loudly and appear in multiple shades of green, red and yellow. The noxious fumes surrounding these ooze pools can be overwhelming as their stench has been likened to "piles of fresh wison dung in the high afternoon sun mixed with the smell of a thousand pinnip seal corpses". Such a description comes from more than one explorer to the region. (/Line Break/) Most of the pools are only a few peds in diameter while some of the larger ones are over a stral wide. (That's an extreme change. That's a whole thousand times larger. I think that constitutes a different definition than "pool". Perhaps say that some of the larger form something similar to marshlands made of the weird coloured liquid?) Where these oozes come from is not known. Some researchers believe that the earth under the tower is melting, with the dark magics mixing with the stone and many corpses of war to create the ooze. Others think that the fetid pools once were clear lakes and ponds of water before the mists corrupted them long ago. It is believed that from these fetid ponds of corruption live ('Live' seems like the wrong word here. Do you mean that they are borne of the "water"? Like Muk and Grimer from Pokémon?) the creatures known as Slimers, as detailed below.

The Dread Mist

The misty border begins perhaps perhaps twenty strals from the eastern coastline and, one assumes, encompasses a circular area around the tower. It is known that portions of the Caaehl Mountains and the Cartashian Woods touch upon the mist in some areas. The closer one gets to the mist border, the sky slowly disappears to be replaced by a grey shroud. Even the bleak coloured ground beneath one's feet seems to vanish as the mist begins to cover it. It is estimated that the mists covers many hundreds of strals across the northern Caaehl'heroth region.

There can be no underestimating the overwhelming sense of dread and sadness that the mist subtly subjects upon one’s senses. The Injerin ranger Saryas Kelweather wrote in his journal that the fog reaches to the highest points in the sky and sweeps travelers up like a malevolent storm. He says it is quite easy to become lost in the Mists as disorientation and confusion take hold. In many places, the Mists are so thick that one cannot see but a few handspans in front of them. But in some areas, the Mists part and one can view up to a stral's distance all around. But just as quickly as the mists part, they close again and embrace the senses in bleak turmoil.

Like the rest of the North, one assumes that the region around the tower was once known to be permafrost cold and damp at one point in time before the Mists encroached upon the land. (This sentence reads awkwardly around the "permafrost cold and damp" area.) But now, the presence of the fog has created a mild, temperate chill in most of the known explored misty areas. There is no natural wind or even a breeze within the fog, but orcen lore tells of the "Jup'lako" (lit. "Deep Wind") that blows the mists about in certain places. The stories go that when the Jup'lako blows, the mists part to reveal strange sights and sounds within the fog.

Ruins of a Forgotten Race

In areas where the mist haze is not as thick, one can see farther within. Stony ruined structures of a long lost race litter the broken landscape. Some scholars believe that the ruins are the remains of the Morgerim tribe, also known as the Dark Dwarves. Another theory holds that the ruins are instead of elven in origin as many of the stone inscriptions that have been found resemble the language of the dark elves. Even fewer go so far as to say the ruins were built by Netherworld demons during the construction of the tower. Regardless of their origin, it has been suggested that the ruins were once arched roadways that presumably lead to the dark tower itself. Protruding watchtowers are connected to the roadway every few strals. Some of the watchtowers are nothing more than crumbling piles of stone while some rise as high as fifteen peds. Perhaps by using the archways as guides, it is thought that one could be led to the tower proper itself. However, no explorer in modern history has ever attempted such a journey and lived to tell about it. The ruins, the mists, and the winding canyons and storms are sure to test the mettle and skill of any experienced explorer. There are more than a few corpses that lay scattered about in various places in the region as testament to the foolishness of wandering about.

Earthquakes and Storms

Another deadly aspect of the region is its frequent earthquakes. The area is well known to explorers and the orcs as being highly unstable geographically in some areas (You started the sentence with "The area ..." Don't end it with the same thing. It's repetitive and slightly contradictory.). As one walks, a sudden shift in the earth can cause tremors to be felt for many strals. Also, gaps in the earth are created in a blink of an eye and if one is unfortunate enough to be standing on one, a long fall awaits you. Some orcen tales say that sometimes when a chasm opens up, strange beasts emerge from the lower depths to feed. Descriptions of these creatures vary from being small mouse-like rodents to spindly multi-legged worms with sharp, bony protrusions and gaping maws. In many areas, the soil is sunken in, forming pits of loose and crumbling dirt. Deep chasms wind their way all over the surface of the wasteland like broken spiders' legs. The chasms begin small and widen the further into the fog. It is impossible to view the entirety of most of the chasms as the fog envelops and hides them and one misstep can lead to a very long fall.

The Mists also possess a rare occurrence in what the orcs call "Jup'lako Onkul” or “Deep Wind Storms”. (You've already mentioned Jup'lako. Perhaps say that this is a variation of Jup'lako?) One recent witness to these storms was a shaman named Proojh. In his youth, about forty years ago (Perhaps you could place a date on this? A static "forty years ago" makes Proojh ageless.), the shaman, then a young warrior, was praying near the mists' border. He was interrupted by a deep rumbling that made the fog vanish for a distance of several peds. Overhead, moving quickly towards Proojh, was a swirling mass of black clouds with arcs (Do you mean streaks, as in streak lighting? Lightning can arc across the sky, sure, but streak lightning is a common kind of lightning, and a more specific way to describe it.) of what resembled blood red lightning flashing from it. The winds began, becoming more fierce as the cloud crept closer. The warrior witnessed stone ruins and dead trees melt as the lightning struck it. Panicking, the man fled away from the storm where it paused at the mist border before turning back.

The Wyrmrot Spire

The southern fringes of the Mists of Osthemangar hide many dark secrets of an evil past. One such oft whispered bit of lore concerns the now decrepit tower known to the local orc tribes as "Rhazga'mish" (orcen lit. “Wyrm rot”). If the old orcen legends are to be believed, this tower of shadow was once a temple to the Chaos God where the ancient dark elves worshiped during the Age of Sundering when Caaehl’heroth was the domain of the elven and  orcen rebels from the sundered empire of  Fá'áv'cál'âr. Today, the tower stands as an ominous monument that has been seemingly dormant for many centuries. Yet, as anyone familiar with the Netherworld  Mists knows, nothing is ever truly asleep in the warped region of Osthemangar.

The first documented explorer to visit the Wyrmrot Spire was the famed Injerín ranger Saryas Kelweather in 1470 a.S. His exploits are well known throughout the North and during one of his forays into the Mists, he encountered the tower. The structure stands in the center of an immense bramble choked expanse of bone known as the Umbral Fields. This region is said to be littered with the remains of powerful dragons who once ruled the region during the Age of Sundering. The thick Mists swirl over the ground preventing a clear view of where to step. Large thorny vines twist over and through the bones that further hinder any travelers’ progress.

“The tower stands immense, as tall as any structure I’ve ever seen. It is shaped like a sharp fang protruding from the ground. Thick, knotted vines grow and grasp the towers’ surface giving the impression that the structure is a hunched over, ("hunched over" is an adjectival modifier, so it should be part of the sequence here.) blackened, dead tree. It seems to have been carved from a giant piece of black, shiny bone or rock. There are ancient trees in many Northern forests that do not compare to the height of this spire. All around the ground surface is as a fine grey dust that, when disturbed, (I suggest commas here.) only slightly produces cloudy plumes that rush into eyes and mouths. The plumes are likely made of (or something similar should be here. Otherwise, it reads awkwardly.) very fine bone dust that swirl with each cold breeze. Even now, I can see this dust falling like the snows of despair in a cruel winter…”

Location.

There is no easy, or convenient, route to the Osthemangar region. Travel overland through the Heaths of Eph'denn and the valley of Cartash or the surrounding mountains carries much risk for an expedition. Many nomadic clans of Osther-Oc orcs roam central Caaehl'heroth and do not take kindly to visitors. The Cartash region, in particular, is a land of dangerous wild beasts such as the Cartashian bear, giant spiders and savage Rat Brownies.

Running through the region, from north to south, is the Avessa river. The river begins in the southern reaches of the Hills of Innings, a group of small snow covered hills believed to have many hot springs of water sprouting from below the surface. The river runs south, through the Mists region, and between the Cartash valley. The Cartashian Woods lie along the center of the river's path as it winds down to finally exit in the bay. It is thought that long ago, the settlement of Davessa (named after the river) had a thriving fishing culture of orcs at one time. The Avessa river is the longest river in Caael'heroth, with the Kharim river being the second longest.

Another route is sailing from the Epheronian settlements on the peninsula of Aden, across the Ice Sea. However, this route poses many dangers as the Ice Sea is mostly composed of massive icebergs and dreaded storms powerful enough to cast a ship under. It is also rumored in some tales that strange beasts inhabit the icebergs. One ancient tale from an Erpheronian pirate ship, which was swept too far north during a storm, says that these creatures are made of solid ice and are the size of ogres. They are said to look like walking icicles with massive arms and legs.

People.

The "Noq Vak'hol" (lit. "Veil Stalkers" or "Mist Hunters") (Is it Noq or Lak? If it's both, shouldn't there be a note here for an additional name?)

The orcen clan known as the "Lak Vak'hol" (lit. "Veil Stalkers" or "Mist Hunters") inhabits the southern fringes of the Mists borders. This clan is unusual among the orcen and Kaaer'dar'shin peoples in that the group is composed of members of both tribes. The Mist Hunters came together perhaps 300 years ago as the story goes. When the Kaaer people brokered an accord of peace with a small, conquered clan of Osther-Oc known as the "Imkuk Orok'tu" (lit. Beast Tail clan") in the year 1369 a.S. The orcen chief and his people were offered a place among the Kaaer. The groups' merging created some discontent among both tribes and they were forced to leave their homelands. However, they soon made a name for themselves by hunting the Mists (Should that be "hunting in the mists"?) and selling the hides and artifacts of the creatures of the region. The clan embraced the worship of the Kaaer deity known as Durgho and developed special magics to protect themselves against the Mists' taint. No region is more dangerous, or more worthy, of a glorious hunt than the unpredictable Mists region. It is said that no one in all of Caaehl'heroth knows the Mists better than the Noq Vak'hol. Some explorers who seek to explore the Mists can hire trackers from the Hunters as guides. The group is said to have several hundred members who live in a large village at the base of Mount Osthen.

The "G'hun’Morta-oc", (lit. "The Cursed-Dead")

The Mists warp and infect any living being who dwells in them for a long period of time. Not only that, but the Mists are rumoured to even keep the dead from truly being at peace. Some orcen legends tell of a clan of Osther-Oc who were ordered to stay and guard the tower during the Third Sarvonian War. The "G'hun’Morta-oc", (lit. "The Cursed-Dead", or "Cursed-Death Orcs"), sometimes called the "Traag'Vok" (lit. "Dark Blood"), a group of around eighty to one hundred festering souls, inhabit the fringes of the mists in the area around the northernmost tip of the Cartashian Woods. The title ‘oc’ seems to be a misnomer in this case, however, as there are numerous members of other races to be seen within their ranks, including elves, dwarves, humans, and ogres. There is even rumour of a hobbit having been seen roaming with the group, but these are, as yet, unconfirmed. It is supposed that these other poor souls are the animated remains of wayward adventurers, lost travelers, or even researchers who stumbled a little too close to their subject.

As with everything which comes under the dark influence of the mists, the G’hun Morta have become twisted in both mind and body, seeming to have little or no will of their own. They wander slowly and silently within the confines of the mist, alone or in small groups, apparently unwilling, or unable, to cross the divide which separates our world from theirs. Day and night seem to have no distinction for them, as they sleep and hunt (seemingly their only occupations) to no visible timescale. 

In appearance, they resemble nothing more than long-dead corpses. Their skin has been drained of all natural colour, and has instead become shades of dirty-grey, white, and pale-blue. They are covered all over in large, weeping sores, many of which are infested with maggots. The faces of many of them are all but hidden beneath grotesque masks of bloody scabs, evidence of their habit of scratching and clawing at themselves. When they open their mouths, only moans and grunts escape their throats, all semblance of language gone. Their rotting teeth and swollen, black tongues taint the air around them with the stench of death and decay. Their eyes have become huge circles of yellow-white, with a tiny speck of black in the centres, giving them an expression which lies somewhere between surprise and terror.

The once muscular frames are now mere skeletons, diseased skin hanging like tattered cloth from bones which appear to have been stretched and broken, and then put back together by a child (As a personal opinion, the comment "by a child" seems to be a little too opinionated and too coloured to be an objective view.). When not hunting, they walk in a stooped manner, with shoulders hunched and their arms hanging loosely down. Their fingers, bloodied, filthy, and with nails so long they have become curled talons, almost drag along the ground. Their calloused feet, red-raw from dragging across the barren, stony earth. (Orange shoes and a blue hat. Your previous sentence is a fragment. It literally reads as "Their calloused feet, stony earth" without the inner clause.) They wear little or no clothing, and seem to be unaware, or unconcerned, at about/of their nakedness.

The Ghostling Brownies

The Ghostlings are a savage and very primitive Rat Brownie tribe that makes their home in the southern borders of the Osthemangar mists region. Very little is known about these Brownies, with the only factual research having been done by Rat Brownie researcher Gratcha Swath, over a period of one year, in 1668 a.S. Gratcha, who herself is a Milken Brownie, conducted her studies under the most unusual of circumstances. She was captured alive by the Ghostlings during an expedition to Osthemangar to find them. Rather, they found her, killed her research team, and kept Gratcha captive. She was unable to fit these cannibal Brownies into the usual Rat Brownie classifications due to their assortment of physical mutations brought upon them by the magical effects of the Mists of Osthemangar. The Ghostlings are a pale skinned, white haired tribe who govern themselves with primitive superstitious beliefs. (Are they albino?) According to her, the Ghostlings are not friendly to any race but their own, and behave like animals, on a very instinctual level. The Ghostlings are hunters and gatherers with no means of trade or production. They believe the Mists are the home of dark spirits and the native ooze pools are used for sacrificing offerings to these spirits. Unfortunately, Gratcha's experience in the Mists with the Ghostlings proved terribly bad for her as she suffered permanent madness from the Mist's malevolent effects. (Then how did any of her research survive? Was it kept in a journal that someone found about her person?)

Coat of Arms.

The mist itself has no formal coat of arms. However, the Deep Winds Portal itself is thought to once have had a symbol to represent it during the Third Sarvonian War. Evidence of the actual appearance of the symbol has not been found, and is presumed to be visible in or around the tower itself. No known records exist of any who have successfully traversed the mist to reach the tower proper to see it as of yet.

Climate.

The climate in Northern Caaehl'heroth is typically permafrost, damp and cold. The tower itself is located near the farthest northern area of Sarvonia and thus is prone to year round snow, deadly blizzards and high winds. (The following sentence seems to contradict this. Perhaps say that it SHOULD be prone to those factors.) However, within the misty region itself, the climate is something else entirely. It has been said that within the mist, the air is temperate in many areas. There is no wind or breeze, save for the mythical orcen "jup'lako" winds (You could probably lose the quotation marks. It seems like you're trying to introduce a new phenomenon to me here, which you're not anymore.), which blow every so often to part the mist in places. Otherwise, within the mist, the temperature is akin to farther south of the peninsula where is it cool and dry. Some orcen lore tells of area pockets within the mist that is so cold that it instantly freezes the flesh upon any living thing. Evidence of this has been seen on corpses who lay in certain mist regions covered in ice but the area around the body was not nearly as cold.

Flora.

All that once grew within the Mists region from ancient times is now long dead or twisted into nary a semblance of what once was. Hardly anything green or lush grows within the dead mists. One may occasionally find a random pale looking bush or blackened forest of trees, but nothing one would ever call beautiful. It is thought that many other varieties of flora may exist deeper within the region, but most explorers have only documented a scant few among the fringes and borders. The four well documented varieties of flora are two types of fungus, the "Savage Mushroom" and the daoles. The third is a magical bush called a "Forget-Me-Nut". The fourth is an odd variant of the Juk'lan bush called a "brimstoneweed".

The Savage Mushroom

The "Savage Mushroom" is actually a rather poor translation of the orcish name "K'arg'Batuk" (lit. "attacking vegetation"), which somehow seemed to stick in the minds of those who heard it and gradually became accepted. Some also call it "Flesh-Eater Fungus" or “Sorcerer’s Pet”. It is a small, hardy fungus found only within the Mists of Osthemangar in Northern Sarvonia. The dull, grey-brown lichen of the main plant is the exact colour of the plains themselves, allowing it to lie hidden against the ground and prey on anything which comes to pick its deep red fruits. It can kill and devour humans, orcs, apes and even very young spine worms with a noxious gas it releases from these large red pods. This gas somehow contains the fungus itself, which then eats into living skin and flesh, slowly devouring the victim.

The Daoles

The second type of fungi is known as the daoles, a strange luminescent mushroom that thrives in the caves and deep earthen wounds of the Plain of Ehelvin and the northern border of the Cartashian Woods. The mists of the region touch many areas where this mushroom grows leading many researchers to think that the blighted region causes the mushroom to glow. It is thought that the Ghostling Brownies grow this mushroom within the damp caves of their homes and use it for food and illumination. However, the mushroom is thought to be quite toxic, at least to smaller animals and insects, that it is not fully understood how the Ghostlings have adapted to eating to it.

The "Forget-Me-Nut"

This putrid plant from the southern borders of the Mists of Osthemangar has but one feature which makes it worthy of mention; the subterranean seed known commonly as the Nak-Nut. Containing the power to befuddle the memory, it has been the subject of much experimentation through the centuries, most of it dangerous and misguided. Names used to refer to this planned plant are "Forget-Me-Nut", "No-Know-Nut", "Nak's Bane", "Nak-Nut" and "Lithnut".

The Brimstoneweed

This variant of the Juk'lan shrub which grows only in the Osthemangar region and which was identified by the botanist Eleanna Kalrinwenens or rather her expedition to the area, is similar to the normal plant in general conformation ("formation" should be apt without the prefix "con-"). It is quite thick and bushy, grows best in damp or marshy areas, and the leaves are identical in shape and size. However, that is where the similarities end. This variant, called "Brimstoneweed" by Eleana and "Juk'lan'yale" ("Burning Juk'lan") by her Kuglimz assistants and co-workers, has yellow-gray leaves and, (You actually have the second comma where it should be, but you're missing this first one.) instead of the pleasantly pungent scent of normal Juk'lan, gives off a pervasively stomach roiling stench of rottedn ("rotted" reads awkwardly.) eggs. It is not poisonous and may be consumed, but without any of the qualities which make normal Juk'lan an desirable beverage. Anything made with this variety smells disgusting, tastes worse, and induces vast quantities of foul smelling flatus, so very little experimentation has been done with this plant. It is thought to be responsible for the explosive quality of the dung produced by the darkmist whelp, an unlovely ape-like beast which frequents the Osthemangar region.

Fauna.

The Spine Wyrm

Details concerning the various horrific varieties of fauna within the Mists region are sketchy and full of myth. One creature known and seen actively hunting within the crumbling ruins of the tower aqueducts (Above, you refer to the ruins as being roads, not aqueducts.) is a large snake-like creature known as the spine wyrm. This beast, according to various reports from the Mist Hunters, is a dull green creature resembling a snake. However, along its back runs a spine of bone covered with yellowish skin that flaps up as the creature lurks near its prey. The skin is thought to secrete a vile webbing type poison that spreads in the air and entwines its prey. (This doesn't seem to make sense. If the skin secretes it, how does it spread through the air?) The worm has been seen hunting in and around the ruins and caves surrounding the ruined watch towers.

The Darkmyst Whelp

Along the southeastern edge of the Mists, at the base of the Caaehl Mountains and the Plains of Ehelvin, are one of the most unusual creatures of the North. Known as the Darkmyst Whelp, these apes hunt the plains and woods for prey and are known to be quite aggressive. Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies that, (Same problem as a few paragraphs ago; you have the second comma, but not the first where it should be.) when it strikes, it explodes with tremendous power. The apes live on the fringes of the Mist and know well that the region provides adequate cover from predators. One explorer, the famed Kuglim Rev'lor, and owner of the Menagerie collection of animals, managed to capture a baby whelp for display. Oddly enough, he discovered that when the ape was away from its Mists tainted territory, the explosive properties of its dung disappeared. (Interesting; there's some agent in the make-up of the mist that makes it explode, much like the effect of oxygen on fire.)

Ezorrak'ladan (lit. "Death Mist Lizard")

Another, even more dangerous and terrible beast, is the dragon known in the orcen tongue as "Ezorrak'ladan" (lit. "Death Mist Lizard"). The myth surrounding this monstrous beast is long, but legend has it that the dragon no longer lives as a mortal soul (I'd prefer the use of a word like, "being" here, rather than soul. Soul just seems to contradict the "mortal" part for me, considering what comes after.). Instead, it is rumored to be a living dead creature forever cursed to haunt the Mists as punishment for the dragon's rebellion during the Third Sarvonian War. No known researcher has lived to study its eating habits (if it even eats at all) or its other ways of (un)life. Almost nothing of fact is known of this creature with only few scant stories that are hundreds of years old. Certainly no one recent has ever seen this dragon and lived to tell of it. For now, most only think of this beast as a myth created by over-imaginative explorers.

Slimers

The pools of ooze are known to house a most horrible creature, one so bizarre that most scholars have failed to really classify it. The creatures are known as slimers, and appear as slowly moving oozes that, depending on the variety, are capable of killing prey in truly terrible ways. It is said that these slimers are created by vast amounts of wild magic or failed experiments where magic becomes warped and draws a life of their own. The ooze pools within the Mists are truly a suitable home for these creatures. Any explorer who has survived an expedition to the area knows to stay well away from them.

Resources.

The Mists of Osthemangar offer no known usable resources anymore. Its land is devoid of any possible means to sustain any ("anything"?) but its twisted remains.

Myth/Lore.

Many of the creatures said to exist within the Mists are twisted and supernatural in origin. The origins of the Mists and the connection that the great tower has to the Netherworld is documented in many ancient tales of lore. Such beasts as the mystran, the netherbeast, the wraith and the truly mystifying entity known as That-Which-Devours all find a home in this region. Fortunately, these fiends are known only to exist in the Mists, safely away from most inhabited areas, but some, like the wraith and mystran, are thought to haunt places all over Caelereth.

Origin

The Mists are said to have originated during the ancient times of the elven empire of Fá'áv'cál'âr. It is said that some of the dark elves who rebelled moved north and founded settlements along Caael'heroth. The Plains of Ehelvin were chosen for a new and mighty structure to reach up to the night sky as a gift for Coór. The myth goes that the mightiest of elven mages was chosen to open the door to the Netherworld and bring forth the tower into Caelereth. A massive ritual was performed with the gathering of the most powerful of dark magics the world had ever seen. A chasm was formed in the earth and a grey mist seeped out. The ritual took many days, it is said, and out of the chasm arose the tower like a black beacon of despair and darkness. Flowing freely from the chasm and the tower was the mist, spreading slowly over the land, corrupting it over time into a barren wasteland.

Another tale says that the tower was built by the ancient Dark Dwarves and dark elves as a gift to Coor. They took stones from a large quarry west of the Cartashian Woods (a place that still exists to this day) and built the tower over many decades. Once done, Coor himself came from the night sky and blessed the structure and gave it power to open into the realm of the Netherworld. It is said that the mist is actually the essence of Coor himself, as a remnant of his visit to the mortal world.   

Taintings

Scholars of enchantments at Ximax academy term the effects of the Mists as “taintings,” areas that slowly change the make-up of the cár’áll of an individual, generally altering the natural balance to cause negative changes in both mind and body. The kind of effects the Mists produce create more lasting effects because, in addition to bringing about the effects (such as madness or deformations, caused through the manipulation of ounía and xeuá links), the Mists also alter the meta-states of the links. This makes the effects more or less permanent.

The longer an individual stays in the Mists, the more drastically their cár’áll is likely to be changed, and the longer it will take an individual’s willpower to overcome the changes and restore a natural state. After a significant period in the Mists, the changes may be effectively irreversible: they are so drastic that the willpower loses control over the cár’áll, making it unable to restore normalcy (I know that 'normalcy' is, technically, a word, but I'd feel less like yelling in rage if you used 'normality'. Sorry... Just a personal thing.).

Taintings, like all “enchantments,” must be brought about through willpower. Most of the scholars at Ximax attribute darker willpowers are energies as the source of these changes, though this matter remains hotly debated.

That-Which-Devours

The Mist also carries another strange story. Among the orcen clans who live nearest the Mist's borders, they say a powerful creature roams the region, circling the tower hunting for living flesh. They say this entity devours the mind, body and soul of all it touches. They call it "That-Which-Devours". The exact appearance of this entity is not known. Some accounts say it is made of the mist itself, and it is somehow alive. Others say it is the spirit of a massive beast or demon haunting the region. One specific theory among many demonologists is that the creature is the living soul of the rumoured undead dragon Ezorrak'lakdan. Either way, the entity is powerful and is said to be devoid of mercy or even intelligence. It only knows how to devour. Some demonologists have theorized that the entity is a manifestation of the darkness in one's mind. The presence is so overwhelmingly frightening and oppressive that it drives the victim to kill themselves in the most horrific of ways.

The Mystran

Perhaps the deadliest entity rumored to stalk the Mists is the mystran, a powerful being said to have originated from the Netherworld itself. The mystran is said to be as a living shadow, a spirit-like consciousness of unknown form. (No, there's nothing wrong with that bolded bit. I just wanted you to know that I love you for that particular wording. The article 'as', in that form, is so underused these days.) It is malevolent and dreadful, and also highly intelligent. These attributes make it a dangerous hunter. There is no real account of the mystran's true appearance or even survivors of its attack. The mystran exists to sow chaos and despair among the living and, it is said, it often uses other mortal races in its nefarious plots of destruction. The mystran is considered by some scholars to be one of the most dangerous and evil creatures in all of Caelereth. It is said that it not only cannot die by any known means (The prior clause here is extremely awkward, esp. the bolded. "It is said that not only can it not die" would be less awkward, but the change, which is necessary, is up to you.), but it also has the power to bend mortal minds to its will and thus can create entire legions of minions at its beck and call.

The Wraith

The Móh-Mélor (Styrásh Móh-Mélor), literally meaning "dark shadow", though more commonly known as the Wraith, is an unseen entity that inhabits empty space (Sounds like the todash), including even the smallest cracks in buildings and ground. These entities are said to have the ability to pass right through any physical or mental substance, and are considered by scholars to be parasitic beings who feed on the living. Thought to be rare in any place other than the Netherworlds, when taking manifest upon the realm of mortals, the most common thing for the Wraith to do is seek out the nearest person and possess them. Accounts vary, but some demonologists believe that the wraith feeds upon the cár'áll of a living host which slowly drives the victim insane. The wraith has long been considered an elven mythological creature, with some stories saying that the wraith is the hungry spirit of a dead elf who became lost and trapped in the clutches of Coór.

The Netherbeast

The netherbeast is said to be a truly horrifying and bloodthirsty fiend of the Netherworld. Demonologists say that these horrific creatures were summoned and brought to life through magical means from the depths of the Netherworlds. During the War of the Chosen, and later the Third Sarvonian War, these creatures were called up through the Deep Winds Portal to serve as front line troops. Commanded by powerful magi, the netherbeasts tore swaths of bloody destruction during these wars, devouring all flesh they happened across. These beasts may vary completely in appearance, ranging from arachnid forms with human skulls to mighty horned skeletons or slimy, toxic creatures resembling crawling brains and possessing magical abilities never dreamed of. Some demonologists say that the netherbeast is a vile combination of corpses and bodily parts of other Netherworld creatures. There are some accounts that the bite or wound made by a netherbeast can turn its victim into a netherbeast themselves, which may explain how these creatures reproduce. Regardless, it is generally agreed by most demonologists that the Mists have a fairly high concentration of netherbeasts stalking about within.

History:

19000 b.S. - The Elven Empire of Fá'áv'cál'âr Falls

According to elven myth, the elven empire of Fá'áv'cál'âr falls when the gods destroy it utterly. During this time, it is said that rebellions rebellious dark elves migrated north into Caael'heroth where they could worship Coór.

ca. 11500 b.S. - The Deep Winds Portal is Built

Accounts are few, (Second comma is present; first is not.) and much of the origins of the tower is steeped in myth, but it is generally believed by some scholars that the tower of Osthemangar was built sometime after Fá'áv'cál'âr was destroyed and the elves moved north. The exact nature of the construction is not known, but some believe that dark dwarves had a hand in it. Most likely, the portal was built as a means for the dark god Coór to enter the world of Caelereth, bringing forth his dark armies with him.

The Mists is are believed to have come about at this time also. Once the portal was opened, the Netherworld atmosphere seeped into the world corrupting it.

298 b.S. - Third Sarvonian War

The orcen and dark elven armies mass for war to invade Southern Sarvonia. It is thought that the Mist produced hordes of creatures that joined the armies. Also, it is believed that the Cursed Orcs, the Cha'Morta'Oc (Are these the same as the Ghud'Morta?), were born at this time. When several of the armies were held back to guard the tower, the Mist corrupted them and turned them into twisted, undead forms.

450 a.S. - The Birth of the Mist Hunters

Orcen and Kaaer'dar'shin hunters come together to form a band of hunters known as the Fang. They specialize in the hunt of dangerous beasts and flora within the Mists. They in turn sell the hides of spine wyrms, ancient bones, and even the small white hides of the Ghostling Brownies. They even harvest poison from the Savage Mushroom for use for their arrows and darts.

1000 a.S. - Southern Explorers Find the Mists

The well known Epheronian explorer Marvan Swiftrook becomes one of the first Southern Sarvonian explorers to reach the Mists and documents the initial reports of the area. His journals were discovered some 200 years later in the possession of a lone Cursed Orc within a tower ruin, surprisingly intact. Since Swiftrook never returned from his expedition, it is thought he was either eaten by a Cursed Orc or became one. Since then, more southern explorers have journeyed north to document and discover the region. Unfortunately, most have never returned as orcen tribes and the Mists themselves take the lives of many.

1300 a.S. - Saryas Kelweather Explores the Region

In what has become the first detailed expedition of the Mists region, the famed ranger and explorer Saryas Kelweather discovers the Mists and much of its inhabitants. He joins a group of Kaaer'dar'shin (of whom he is a trusted friend) and hears many tales of the region from the Mist Hunters and accompanies them on their hunts. He alone is one of very few explorers who have documented the Mists and lived to tell about it.

*Claps* I like it. I wish I could Aura you for the work. Remind me to when I'm allowed to do that. =D

It took me a good two hours to do this because I had trouble focusing. Sorry. =S

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 20 October 2010, 00:45:07 »

It seems I will have to up my metaphorical game in order to match the grammar of my newest competitor. Very thorough, and auras to both you and Azzy.

Ne'ertheless, I have some points to make about your mostly wonderful suggestions.

The plumes are likely made of (or something similar should be here. Otherwise, it reads awkwardly.) very fine bone dust that swirl with each cold breeze.
This is fine as it is...oddly phrased, but fine. "Made of" makes it clumsy for me. A simple "of" could do the trick, as that fixes the problem you perceive but avoid losing the mystery and spookiness of the original.

There is no easy, or convenient, route to the Osthemangar region

Commas are fine. Convey a different meaning in this instance, drawing attention to the lack of convenience.

However, they soon made a name for themselves by hunting the Mists (Should that be "hunting in the mists"?)

Again, I disagree. I regrd this as a slightly archaic use of the English language, but a legitimate structure nonetheless. You farm the land; you fish the stream; why not hunt the Mists?

Their calloused feet, red-raw from dragging across the barren, stony earth. (Orange shoes and a blue hat. Your previous sentence is a fragment. It literally reads as "Their calloused feet, stony earth" without the inner clause.) They wear little or no clothing, and seem to be unaware, or unconcerned, at about/of their nakedness.

I take grammatarian exception to this. As a seemingly expert grammatical pedant, you should know that a sentence can have commas for other reasons than subordinating clauses - lists, for example. In fact, I know you know this. Thus the lack of focus you mention seems to have come into play here. The sentence is a fragment, but for other reasons. The entire thing is a subordinate clause except the first two words. There should be a comma, a main verb and, if appropriate, an object following the word "earth". Then a full stop.
Second sentence is more complex. No single preposition can act with both aware and concerned. The way I would resolve it is by writing "seem to be unaware of, or unconcerned by, their nakedness".

Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies that, (Same problem as a few paragraphs ago; you have the second comma, but not the first where it should be.) when it strikes, it explodes with tremendous power.
Comma is debatable, though I'll leave all of those as a comma enthusiast myself (they can be very useful), with no more than the injunction not to allow them to control your writing. Flow is more important. However, the "it" at the end is very wrong. It should simply go. And the "that" would be nicer as a "which", thus "Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies, which, when it strikes, explodes with tremendous power.". To avoid flow issues try moving the "when it strikes" to the end, like so: "Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies, which explodes with tremendous power when it strikes." The comma before "which" is needed to prevent their Mist warped bodies from exploding.

That's all, I think.

Oh, no.

"Horrific of ways" is fine, I think you'll find. The most horrific of the ways in which to do X. Absolutely A-OK. (Golly, I hate that phrase)

Athviaro
evil Grammar Demon
« Last Edit: 20 October 2010, 02:22:03 by Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr » Logged

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 20 October 2010, 02:04:24 »

God damn I wish quotes would stay in posts. >.<

It seems I will have to up my metaphorical game in order to match the grammar of my newest competitor. Very thorough, and auras to both you and Azzy. Thank you. =D

Ne'ertheless, I have some points to make about your mostly wonderful suggestions.

This is fine as it is...oddly phrased, but fine. "Made of" makes it clumsy for me. A simple "of" could do the trick, as that fixes the problem you perceive but avoid losing the mystery and spookiness of the original. You're right, an "of" would fix it, but would need to be "of a". The original was "The plumes are likely very fine bone dust". To fix the extreme awkwardness (caused by plumes being a countable plural and the term "bone dust" being uncountable and presented as a plural form) it would need to read as "The plumes are very likely made of/of a very fine bone dust.
I bolded countable and uncountable above because I can't remember the words I'm looking for, but I'm sure that's what I mean.

Commas are fine. Convey a different meaning in this instance, drawing attention to the lack of convenience. In that case, sure, but they cause unnecessary hesitations here where it can read smoothly.

Again, I disagree. I regrd this as a slightly archaic use of the English language, but a legitimate structure nonetheless. You farm the land; you fish the stream; why not hunt the Mists? Sorry for being a smartass, but I don't fish any streams. =D That's a fair enough disagreement, though. That's why I made a question of it.

I take grammatarian exception to this. As a seemingly expert grammatical pedant, you should know that a sentence can have commas for other reasons than subordinating clauses - lists, for example. In fact, I know you know this. Thus the lack of focus you mention seems to have come into play here. The sentence is a fragment, but for other reasons. The entire thing is a subordinate clause except the first two words. There should be a comma, a main verb and, if appropriate, an object following the word "earth". Then a full stop.It still stands however, that I was right and it is a fragment. Orange shoes and a blue hat.

Second sentence is more complex. No single preposition can act with both aware and concerned. The way I would resolve it is by writing "seem to be unaware of, or unconcerned by, their nakedness". I agree with your suggestion.

Comma is debatable, though I'll leave all of those as a comma enthusiast myself (they can be very useful), with no more than the injunction not to allow them to control your writing. Flow is more important. However, the "it" at the end is very wrong. It should simply go. And the "that" would be nicer as a "which", thus "Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies, which, when it strikes, explodes with tremendous power.". To avoid flow issues try moving the "when it strikes" to the end, like so: "Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies, which explodes with tremendous power when it strikes." The comma before "which" is needed to prevent their Mist warped bodies from exploding. Long story short: No. The comma is not debatable. I overlooked the "that" which should have been a "which", but the fact still stands that with the second comma (third one in the sentence) there should have been a comma where I suggested.

That's all, I think.

Oh, no.

"Horrific of ways" is fine, I think you'll find. The most horrific of the ways in which to do X. Absolutely A-OK. (Golly, I hate that phrase) May I refer you to the brilliant magnum opus of William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style. His work which has a number of rules and suggestions about the English language has the overarching theory following:
Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. The requires not that the writer make all sentences short or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
... Which is a roundabout way for me to say that I thought the "of" was unnecessary and inefficient.

Athviaro
 :evil:Grammar Demon

Thank you, and good night. =D

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 20 October 2010, 02:45:36 »

I hate the quoting system...

Actually gave you your aura now. Sorry.

I think that the plumes need no "a" in there. They are "(made) of fine dust" - fine.

I think you mean a collective noun :P

The "debatable" comma is for reasons of flow - once you know the rules, you can decide when to ignore them for the "greater good". Crude phrasing there, but you understand my gist, yes?

This last "of" - I like the phrasing. The overly-minimalist creed of certain writers repels me. Why lose the greatest verbal flourishes for these obscure principles?

That will be all.

Until the morrow, my Brother in Grammar

Athviaro

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 20 October 2010, 03:05:40 »

I hate the quoting system...

Actually gave you your aura now. Sorry. Well I'm not taking back my "thank you". HMPH. *Crosses arms*

I think that the plumes need no "a" in there. They are "(made) of fine dust" - fine. Fine it is, then. I still made more corrections than you. *Pokes tongue* (Hey, I have to keep my dignity and pride, okay?)

I think you mean a collective noun :P No, it refers specifically to pluralisation and whether it's "countable" or "uncountable". Like, whether an amount can be attributed to it, or whether it's a plural form or something. I see it all the time on Wiktionary, but I couldn't find it. >=C

The "debatable" comma is for reasons of flow - once you know the rules, you can decide when to ignore them for the "greater good". Crude phrasing there, but you understand my gist, yes?

This last "of" - I like the phrasing. The overly-minimalist creed of certain writers repels me. Why lose the greatest verbal flourishes for these obscure principles? It's not "overly minimalist". It's about efficiency. I'll refer you to the quoted paragraph again, where it refers to drawings not having unnecessary lines and machines not having unnecessary parts. The "of" just stood out for me and I needed to DESTROY IT. *Displays fire-breathing wrath or something*

That will be all.

Until the morrow, my Brother in Grammar Night light.

Athviaro

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 20 October 2010, 03:48:34 »

According to Fowler, countable and uncountable are OK. In the entry on Few he writes:

The important starting point is that in most circumstances few and the comparative adj. fewer are used with countable nouns, i.e. with nouns that have both a singular and a plural form (book/books; so fewer books, few books, a few books); or with collective nouns (fewer people, few people, a few people). In such constructions less would be incorrect. By contrast less, which is the comparative of little, is properly used with uncountable or mass nouns: in other words less refers to quantity and is the opposite of more (less affection, less power, less misery, etc.)

His italics, my bold.

Yes, I do own a copy and yes, I did copy this out by hand.

Athviaro

Cruciform
Aspiring Member

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 20 October 2010, 04:19:04 »

I don't want to clog up this thread any more than we have to, so I'll finish on a note of thanks for that. I'm glad we cleared that up.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 26 October 2010, 21:22:45 »

Before I forget again! Aura +1 to both Cruci and Ath for their detailed comments and debate over my entry. Thanks to you both for taking the time. I am working through the comments...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!