Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Blackberry Bush, Ráhaz-Dáth  (Read 5643 times)
Ishana Lachora

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 03 October 2008, 01:31:33 »

Changes based on Gwai'ayia Quillouf's comments in green
Changes based on Bard Judith's comments in red
New changes based on Talia Sturmwind in yellow

Blackberry Bush

The Blackberry Bush is a plant that grows mainly in the Northern area of the Ráhaz-Dáth. It is common in the wilderness, but is pretty hard to cultivate because it needs special soil type and air conditions. It has a wide use: for food, for dye and for medicine.

Appearance.
The Blackberry Bush is a rather big bush, it is about two peds high and about one and the half ped broad in its widest point. When It grows outside its natural environment It tends to grow smaller because it is very sensitive to environment conditions. Normally it doesn't form clusters of bushes like a redberry because it needs a lot of sun and free space around it. If the seed falls in the drier areas inside of Ráhaz-Dáth it would not grow because It needs much water to achieve full size.
The bush has no trunk so at the ground point it has one base with many long, thin, vertical branches growing from it. The branches are growing up and sideward, so the bush is shaped like upside-down cone. It has, like other desert plants, long roots which reach about 5 peds in depth and is so able to reach underground water sources.
The bush looks very fragile but it is impossible to pull it out of the ground because it's roots are holding very strong to soil. It's branches are thin, brown coloured and oily, with red lines on bark where oil gets out of the tree through craks to protect bush from the heath. Because of the arid climate, dry air, and oil in older branches they are elastic and hard to break. At the base branches are harder and darker, but towards the top branches are softer, greener and weaker. Offsets at the tops of the branches are very gentle and light green. The branches are covered with many thorns, about two grains long, which protect the plant from animals. Its leaves are thin, rough and oily to reduce respiration. They are covered with thin layer of oil to stop overheating and losing water. Leaves are about half a nailsbreath long and half as that wide. They have a special shiny tone of dark green because of the oil layer on them. Young leaves are smaller, softer and light green but after couple of months they become harder and normal coloured.
It blooms once a year after Ráhaz-Dáth early rains. It’s  flowers are small, about 3 grains in diameter, white, sometimes yellow, in the centre there is a bunch of very small filaments surrounded with five rounded petals. Flower are assembled in clusters with about forty flowers for one cluster . Exact number of clusters on one bush depends on size of the bush and conditions, but is always around ten. After one month flowers form many small round black-coloured mat berries about nailsbreadth or nailsbreadth in size. Each berry has one seed inside. Each seed is dry, brown, grain long and little less then grain wide. Berries are juicy and tasteful, taste sweet but at the same time they are also bitter and that combination is very tasty. They are eaten not only by men but by many wild animals. Seeds, located in berries, are spread around by animals and men. Seeds stay in soil until the first rain and then they start growing. It usually grows six years until full size and it lasts for 20 years.

Territory.
Blackberry Bush is mainly found in northern areas of Ráhaz-Dáth in south part of the Sarvonia continent. It is found around  and east of Open Woodlands, at the area between Narfost Plain and the sea east of Barvados. Small quantities are found around Firefeet’s Rest and at some places north of The Yar’Dangs. It grows aside from other plants because his branches need much space and sun, and their roots consume large amounts of water from the soil. Blackberry Bush is not very cultivated because it needs specific dry ground with delicate balance of sun, water and soil type. Cultivated bushes are smaller, they blossom rarely and berries are small and not so juicy as wild ones.

Usage.
It is very common used by the Shendar, nomads of Ráhaz-Dáth. Berries are mainly used for producing specific dark blue dye. The Shendar, especially the clay people, use this dye not only for colouring their tunicas, blankets and other items for the daily use, but also, in addition to the red-brown dye they get from the hen'di bush, for doing their elaborate paintings on their hands, feet and occasionally in their face. For this purpose however an additional additive, which is not known to 'outsiders', is added. It is said, that this dye is an important ingredient of the colour the famous Uderza tiles come with, but this is not verified and more a rumour than anything else.
This dye is an important part of Shendar business as well. It is sold to Bardavos where it is processed to become the best ink Santharia wide (at least Bardavos lays this claim), and to Varcopas where it is shipped worldwide to be sold not only for dying processes, but also to alchemy labors and producers of fine oil paints.

Berries are also used for food. Dried berries can also be used as ingredient to make bread, although it is not very often done because dried berries are mainly used feed their aj’nuvics. Shendar people eat berries fresh or they make jams and delicions out of it. The usage of cultivated plants is mainly for decorative purposes. Its berries are not used for food because they are smaller and duller than usual ones. Blackberry Bush is usually cultivated and grown in bigger citties with simmilar climate and soil in Ráhaz-Dáth(like Uderza, Bardavos, Strata and even Thalambath and Varcopas). They are mainly used to decorate private gardens and parks because of their beautiful appearance when it is full of flowers.
Wood is not very often used for firewood because it has to much water in it, but if you dry it for some time(around half a year) it became highly flammable because of it's oily substances. Oil is sometimes extracted from branches and sold bottled for heating, light source in oil lamps and in scent industry.
Shendar will sometimes dig up the Blackberry's roots in times of draught for the large amount of water the roots store. Big Blackberry Bush’s roots are also used to hold Shendars’ tent(dome) to the ground.

Medical usage.
Young leaves (before three months) are handpicked and dried to make tea mixture. Tea cooked out of dried leaves is used for stomach pain and problems with digestion. However, you need to be very careful when drinking Blackberry Bush tea because in large amounts it is poisonous and can cause dehydration and diarrhoea. It may even cause death.
Pure Blackberry Bush oil is used as an antitoxin for most of the poisons in the Ráhaz-Dáth.
Because of its potency it can be dangerous and the treatment must be done with great caution. That treatment is kept secret because oil is very powerful and toxic so it may easy cause death of the user if mixed or used in wrong quantities.
Oil extracted from young branches and leaves mixed with scents is used for massage and therapy during recovery from wounds.

Myth/Lore.
Blackberry Bush is thought to be one of many important plants in life of nomads and tribes in Ráhaz-Dáth. They believe that existence of multipurpose plant like this cannot be coincidence. They believe that this plant marks entire areas where it's found as very fertile and habitable. In history dye gotten from Blackberry Bush was being used for ritual facial and body paint. People were dyeing their bodies to secure gods’ attention to their problem, to ask for help and assistance. Oil from Blackberry Bush is also used in religion rituals like worshiping of Baveros God and in burial ceremonies. Bitter dough for mourning ritual is made of the dried berries of Blackberry Bush.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2009, 04:54:10 by Ishana Lachora » Logged
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2008, 01:56:35 »

This is the first version

I'm basing flowers and berries on the Elder plant(Sambuca nigra L. sp.)
Here is the link on wiki about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elderberry
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2008, 22:58:45 »

Hi, please ask the mods for a first comment, I'm quite busy currently , not fitting things can be easily adjusted later as well :)

- The colour for the tiles is a secret, so don't mention them please :) And I'll think over that body painting, maybe I'll like it! ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2008, 20:05:14 »

Comments please
Gwai'ayia Quillouf
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2008, 23:50:46 »

I'm not one to talk... rolleyes but here's some things I noticed marked in lightgreen.

Blackberry Bush

Blackberry Bush is a plant that grows in northern area of the Ráhaz-Dáth. It is common in the wilderness but is pretty hard to cultivate, although it is planted near crossroads because of their usage. It has a wide use, for food, for dye and for medicine.

Appearance. Blackberry Bush is a rather big bush, it is about two peds high and about 1.5 ped wide in widest point. Bushes grown outside its natural enviroment grow smaller, around a maximum about 1.5 ped 1.5 peds what tall?  Wide?  Specify, usually 1.3 pedAgain is it 1.3 ped high or wide? ,and about 2 fores in diametar. Normally it doesn't form some groups Some Groups sound odd...try clusters. of bushes like a redberry because it needs a lot of sun and free space around it. If the seed falls in the shadow it would not grow because it needs sun to start growing and to achieve full size.Try to space your paragraphs apart.  Because their is no idention here without this separation, entries can be hard to read.  Also you refer to the plant as It alot.  Try to use the name occasionally to clarify what your talking about.  In addition, in order for a comparsion of plants growing outside the Rahaz Dhaz to be affective, you need something to compare it to.  So in order to make such a comparsion affective you need to describe the plant as it would appear inside the Desert.
It has no timberHuh?  No wood (timber)?  Then how does it have branches.  I think you mean "no main stem or trunk" please clarify this sentence., at the ground point it has one base with many long, thin, vertical branches growing from it. The branches are growing up and to the sides (or sidewards), so the bush is shaped like upside-down cone. It has, like Any is unnecessary and colliqual here it would sound better removed. other desert plants, long and deep roots that storage all the water they absorb so they indicate ground waters. Bush looks very fragile but it takes great force to pull it out of the ground because it's roots are holding very strong to soil. It's branches are thin, brown coloured and oily, with red lines on bark where oil gets out of the tree. Because of the arid climate, dry air, and oil in removed them older branches are elastic and hard to brake. Atthe base branches are harder and darker, but towards the top branches are softer, greener and weaker. Offsets at the tops of the branches are very gentle and light green. Branches are covered with many thorns, about 2 grains long, that protects plant from animals. It's leaves are thin, rough, skinned and oily to reduce respiration. They are about half a nailsbreath long and half as that wide. Leaves have special shiny tone of dark green. Desert plants are very rarely dark green in color as such colors attrack the already harsh sun.  Such coloring is usefully in forestal areas, but in a desert it can mean the plant will literal 'bake' from the heat.  Typcial coloring for desert plants are usually light in color such as silver, light green, and sometimes a silvery blue. Young leaves are smaller, softer, and light green but after couple of months they became harder and normal coloured.
It blooms once a year after the Rhaz Dhaz yearly rains. It’s  flowers are small, about 3 grains in diameter, white, sometimes yellow, in the centre there is a bunch of very small filaments surrounded with five rounded petals. Flower are assembled in corymbs with about forty flowers per inflorescence. Approximate number of inflorescence Huh?  Okay it may just be me...but I have no clue what this means, and neither will alot of other people.  Try changing this to a more common term. on one bush is somewhere around a doesen but that depends on size of the bush and conditions. After one month flowers form many small round black coloured mat berries about nailsbreadth or half a nailsbreadth in size. (Rephrased for better reading) Each berry has one seed inside.How large? What color? What shape? Berries are juicy and tasteful, taste sweet but at the same time they are also bitter and that combination is very tasty. They are eaten not only by men but by many wild animals. Seeds are spread around by animals and men. Seeds stay in soil until the first rain and then they start growing. It usually grows six years until full size and it lasts for 20 years.

Territory. Blackberry Bush is mainly found in northern areas of Ráhaz-Dáth in south part of the Sarvonia continent. It is found around  and east of Open Woodlands, at the area between Narfost Plain and the sea east of Barvados. Small quantities are found around Firefeet’s Rest and at some places north of The Yar’Dangs. It grows aside from other plants because his branches need much space and sun, and their roots consume large amounts of water from the soil. The Blackberry Bush is not usually cultivated because it needs specific dry ground with delicate balance of sun, water and soil type. Cultivated bushes are smaller, they blossom rarely and berries are small and not so juicy as wild ones.  Where is it cultivated and by whom?

Usage. It is very common used by the Shendar, nomads of Ráhaz-Dáth. Berries are mainly used for producing dark blue dye. Berries are smashed, squeezed and mixed in small amount of water(a mug of water and two dippers of berries). The solution is then filtered with cloth and liquid purified. Pure dye is used for mostly for dying cloth(especially by The Shen-Kha'si (Clay-People) tribe). Dye is also used in cosmetics and in production of chemicals used in clay tiles painting, granary painting, ink colour making and alchemy. Selling Blackberry Bush's dye is important business in the Ráhaz-Dáth and tribes earn significant amount of money and other stuffs by trade and exchange with other people. This is good but what color dye is it?
Berries are also used for food. It is possible to bake a bread from dried berries, although it is not very often done because dried berries are mainly used feed their aj’nuvics. Shendar people eat berries fresh or they make jams out of it. The usage of cultivated plants are mainly for decorative purposess. its berries are not used for food because they are smaller and duller than usual ones.
Wood is not very often used for firewood because it has to much water in it, but if you dry it for some time(around half a year) it became highly flammable because of it's oily substances. Oil is sometimes extracted from branches and sold bottled for heating, light source in oil lamps and in scent industry.
Shendar will sometimes dig up the Blackberry's roots in times of draught for the large amount of water the roots store. (Rephrased for clarity)

Medical usage. Young leaves (before three months) are handpicked and dried to make tea mixture. Tea cooked out of dried leaves is used for stomach pain and problems with digestion. However, you need to be very careful when drinking Blackberry Bush tea because in large amount it is poisonous and can cause dehydration and diarrhoea. It may even cause death.
Pure Blackberry Bush oil is used as an antitoxin for most of the poisons in the Ráhaz-Dáth. That treatment is kept secret because oil is very powerful and toxic so it may easy cause death of the user. If it is that toxic, wouldn't a distilled form of the oil (with lots of water added) be used instead?
Oil extracted from young branches and leaves mixed with scents is used for massage and therapy during recovery from wounds.
((That's all I have time for right now, but keep working on it!)))

"The sky is purple to Wise Eyes."Quote from Gwai'ayia Scrollreader Quillouf.

Dreamwell,

Gwai'ayia
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2008, 06:53:37 »

I edited post according to comments.
Still, I kept dark green colour of leaves and entire plant. I did some research on arid climate flora and colour is not speciffic, there are just some special addaptations to climate. Like oily surface, thick leaves, big roots, etc.
I also corrected some other flaws I have found.
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2008, 04:10:08 »

Not all of the Rahaz-Dath is parched desert, fortunately. I'll put this on my to-do list Lutalica! (Provided i retain my internet acces for a change)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2008, 08:13:28 »

Oil doesn't mix with water, or 'distill' well.

Perhaps mixing it with a neutral oil (grapeseed, in our world, works well as a 'vehicle') would dilute the blackberry oil more effectively?

:)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2008, 19:13:31 »

I added ash to mixture, ash is generaly used for emulging sollutions with oil and water parts. Ash in potions for stomach pain is not toxic and it is commonly used in rural areas.
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2008, 06:30:59 »

How about this version.
I'm even thinking of removing that part with clensing mixture
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2009, 07:51:20 »

How about this?
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2009, 20:22:40 »

I'll get to you in a couple of days. Just now I do not have the time for a decent uri-check and you need a lot of corrections language-wise. But it looks quite good so far!  thumbup

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2009, 17:49:28 »

Here we go!
Grammar as far as I can see it corrected in yellow, you will need a native speaker in the end.
Comments to the content in teal
Proposals in green

Blackberry Bush

The Blackberry Bush is a plant that grows mainly in the Northern area of the Ráhaz-Dáth. It is common in the wilderness, but is pretty hard to cultivate, (Why?)although it is planted near crossroads because of their usage. Why should one plant a (difficult) bush near a crossroad, why is it difficult to plant if it grows easily in unpleasant conditions inthe wild? I would expect, that it gets bigger when provided with more water.
It has a wide use: for food, for dye and for medicine.

Appearance. The Blackberry Bush is a rather big bush, it is about two peds high and about one and a half (no decimals) ped broad in its widest point. When it grows outside its natural environment  it  is smaller, with a maximum height around 1.5 ped, usually around 1.3 ped high, and about 2 fores in diameter. Too many numbers for my taste for such a unimportant bush. Do you have a researcher who measured it? It would be enough, if you write, that outside its normal environement it doesn't grow as big , but tends to gets broader instead. And what is its 'normal envirement? and where will it be lower in growth?
I think I wanted to have it a a part of the outer areas of the open woodland, that would then be a half-arid region. So, what happens if the seeds are carried to a drier area and what if the people of Uderza plant them 'somewhere' and it gets more water?

Normally it doesn't form clusters of bushes like a redberry because it needs a lot of sun and free space around it. If the seed falls in the shadow it would not grow because it needs sun to start growing and to achieve full size.
It has no trunk so at the ground point it has one base with many long, thin, vertical branches growing from it. The branches are growing up and sideward, so the bush is shaped like upside-down cone. It has, like other desert plants, long and deep roots that storage all the water they absorb so they indicate ground waters.
Not all desert plants do store their water in the roots, so maybe you formulate it a bit different, like:
"It has, like other desert plants, long roots which reach about ten (?? or less?) peds deep and is so able to reach an underground water source.  " Mention the indicator of water under usages.

The bush looks very fragile but it takes great force to pull it out of the ground because it's roots are holding very strong to the soil. (Can you pull it out at all? or do you have to dig and cut of the roots? Why would you want to do it? --> Usages?)It's branches are thin, brown coloured and oily, with red lines on the bark where oil gets out of the tree. (If the bark is cut, or is it natural, that the oil comes out OR does it have special openings where it comes out to protect the bark from the sun?)Because of the arid climate, dry air, and oil in older branches they are elastic and hard to break. At the base branches are harder and darker, but towards the top branches are softer, greener and weaker. Offsets at the tops of the branches are very gentle and light green. The branches are covered with many thorns, about two grains long, which protect the plant from animals. Its leaves are thin, rough, skinned (??) and oily to reduce respiration. They are covered with thin layer of oil to stop overheating and losing water. Leaves are about half a nailsbreath long and half as that wide. They have a special shiny tone of dark green because of the oil layer on them. Young leaves are smaller, softer(no comma) and light green but after couple of months they become harder and normal coloured.

I'm running out of time, will be back on Tuesday!
Yoou need to do some more work so far, but I appreciated, that you are doing another plant for my favourite area! Thankyou!

It blooms once a year after Ráhaz-Dáth early rains. It’s  flowers are small, about 3 grains in diameter, white, sometimes yellow, in the centre there is a bunch of very small filaments surrounded with five rounded petals. Flower are assembled in clusters with about forty flowers for one cluster . Exact number of clusters on one bush depends on size of the bush and conditions, but is always around ten. After one month flowers form many small round black-coloured mat berries about nailsbreadth or nailsbreadth in size. Each berry has one seed inside. Each seed is dry, brown, grain long and little less then grain wide. Berries are juicy and tasteful, taste sweet but at the same time they are also bitter and that combination is very tasty. They are eaten not only by men but by many wild animals. Seeds, located in berries, are spread around by animals and men. Seeds stay in soil until the first rain and then they start growing. It usually grows six years until full size and it lasts for 20 years.

Territory. Blackberry Bush is mainly found in northern areas of Ráhaz-Dáth in south part of the Sarvonia continent. It is found around  and east of Open Woodlands, at the area between Narfost Plain and the sea east of Barvados. Small quantities are found around Firefeet’s Rest and at some places north of The Yar’Dangs. It grows aside from other plants because his branches need much space and sun, and their roots consume large amounts of water from the soil. Blackberry Bush is not very cultivated because it needs specific dry ground with delicate balance of sun, water and soil type. Cultivated bushes are smaller, they blossom rarely and berries are small and not so juicy as wild ones.

Usage. It is very common used by the Shendar, nomads of Ráhaz-Dáth. Berries are mainly used for producing specific dark blue dye. Berries are smashed, squeezed and mixed in small amount of water(a mug of water and two dippers of berries). The solution is then filtered with cloth and liquid purified. Pure dye is used for mostly for dying cloth(especially by The Shen-Kha'si (Clay-People) tribe). Dye is also used in cosmetics and in production of chemicals used in clay tiles painting, granary painting, ink colour making and alchemy. Selling Blackberry Bush's dye is important business in the Ráhaz-Dáth and tribes earn significant amount of money and other stuffs by trade and exchange with other people.
Berries are also used for food. It is possible to bake a bread from dried berries, although it is not very often done because dried berries are mainly used feed their aj’nuvics. Shendar people eat berries fresh or they make jams out of it. The usage of cultivated plants are mainly for decorative purposes. Its berries are not used for food because they are smaller and duller than usual ones. Blackberry Bush is usually cultivated and grown in bigger citties in Ráhaz-Dáth(like Uderza, Bardavos, Strata and it can be found even in Thalambath and Varcopas) because they have, more or less, similar climate. They are mainly used to decorate private gardens and parks because of their beautiful appearance when it is full of flowers.
Shendar will sometimes dig up the Blackberry's roots in times of draught for the large amount of water the roots store. Big Blackberry Bush’s roots are also used to hold Shendars’ tent(dome) to the ground.

Medical usage. Young leaves (before three months) are handpicked and dried to make tea mixture. Tea cooked out of dried leaves is used for stomach pain and problems with digestion. However, you need to be very careful when drinking Blackberry Bush tea because in large amounts it is poisonous and can cause dehydration and diarrhoea. It may even cause death.
Pure Blackberry Bush oil is used as an antitoxin for most of the poisons in the Ráhaz-Dáth.
Oil is purified and mixed with a certain amount of water and ashes that allow oil and water to mix, mixing is very delicate process because one must know exact cause of poisoning in order to prepare medicine.
That treatment is kept secret because oil is very powerful and toxic so it may easy cause death of the user if mixed or used in wrong quantities.

Myth/Lore. Blackberry Bush is thought to be one of many important plants in life of nomads and tribes in Ráhaz-Dáth. They believe that existence of multipurpose plant like this cannot be coincidence. They believe that this plant marks entire areas where it's found as very fertile and habitable. In history dye gotten from Blackberry Bush was being used for ritual facial and body paint. People were dyeing their bodies to secure gods’ attention to their problem, to ask for help and assistance. Oil from Blackberry Bush is also used in religion rituals like worshiping of Baveros God and in burial ceremonies. Bitter dough for mourning ritual is made of the dried berries of Blackberry Bush.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2009, 02:58:09 »

Ishana, if you have done some work on your submission, just state at the end of the thread what you have done , even if you did it on top of your submission, so that your entry is pushed up again and everybody sees, that there is something new, ok?

I start from the beginning again.

Blackberry Bush

The Blackberry Bush is a plant that grows mainly in the Northern area of the Ráhaz-Dáth. It is common in the wilderness, but is pretty hard to cultivate because it needs special soil type and air conditions. It is planted at the crossroads in the Ráhaz-Dáth because travellers can then pick its berries for refreshment. It has a wide use: for food, for dye and for medicine.

I need  to question your problems wiht cultivation again: You say, one cannot cultivate it easily, because it needs special conditions. Right, it cannot grow North of the Sharadon, but, the conditons around Uderza are surely not so different from those near or in the Open Woodlands, they are nearly the same! So you need another reason, why it is not cultivated despite the berries - maybe it stinks? Or it attracts pests like black lice? So you cherish the berries , but don't like to have it near the house?
Crossroads? A traveller can pick it at any place near the road, that doesn't have to be a crossroad. Apart from that, there are nearly no crossroads up there, just two main roads to Bardavos, one south, one north of Occam's Lake, maybe one smaller to the east. There are no 'fixed' roads further to the South, you need a Shendar guide to lead you.

But you want to have it at crossroads, ok, I see your picture:
So, let us assume, there are some smaller paths around Uderza, in the direction of the mountains until they vanish in the sands, around Bardavos etc (not in the plane of Uderza, there is growing other cultivated crops), why a crossroad? Maybe we need a myth here? Or they are a mark in the landscape where a side path starts from a bigger one  you can't easily find ? And there the Shendar have planted those bushes, three in a special way to indicate something? Just an idea..

Appearance.
The Blackberry Bush is a rather big bush, it is about two peds high and about one and the half ped broad in its widest point. When it grows outside its natural environment It tends to be(repetition) smaller because it is very sensitive to environment conditions.
(How? To much rain, but too aridconditions as well hinder its full growth)

Normally it doesn't form clusters of bushes like a redberry because it needs a lot of sun and free space around it. If the seed falls in the drier areas deep inside the  Ráhaz-Dáth it would not grow because It needs much water to achieve full size.
That does not fit, for the open woodlands do not have "much" water, just skip the last sentence.
The bush has no trunk so at the ground point it has one base with many long, thin, vertical branches growing from it. They are growing up and sideward, so the bush is shaped like upside-down cone. It has, like other desert plants, long roots which reach about at least five peds in depth and is so able to reach underground water sources, though they never reach the length of the rootes of the Dar'ii tree which are  up to fourty peds long. I don't know yet, how long the roots have to be, so that it fits to the Open woodland. wiht the at least we are on the safe side.
The bush looks very fragile but it is impossible to pull it out of the ground because it's roots are holding very strong to the soil. Its branches are thin, brown coloured and oily, with red lines on the bark where oil gets out of the tree through cracks to protect the bush from the heath. Because of the arid climate, dry air, and oil in older branches they are elastic and hard to break.
I can't see, why they can't break due to the dry climate. Is it not the other way round normally? Dry things break more easily? I thought the oil prevents them to dry out, therefor they are allways fresh and full of water and are therefor hard to break?
At the base boughs are harder and darker, but towards the top they are softer, greener and weaker. The twigs at the top of the bush are very gentle and light green. The brambles are covered with many thorns, about two grains long, which protect the plant from animals. Its leaves are thin, rough and oily to reduce respiration. They are covered , like the branches, with thin a layer of oil to stop overheating and losing water. Leaves are about half a nailsbreath long and half as that wide. They have a special shiny tone of dark green because of the oil layer on them. Young leaves are smaller, softer and light green but after couple of months they become harder and normal coloured.

I tried to replace branch a few times, I hope I got it right, I took it out of my dictionry, not knowing, if it is ok ;)

The Blackberry Bush blooms once a year after the Ráhaz-Dáth early rains. Its flowers are small, about three grains in diameter and white, sometimes yellow. In the centre () is a bunch of very small filaments surrounded with five rounded petals. The flowers are assembled in clusters with about forty individual blooms for one cluster . The (no exact, that sounds too scientific) number of clusters on one bush depends on size of the bush and conditions, but is always around ten. (Why only a few and not more, that sounds pretty few to me for a bush of this size. Remember, I do need them!)  After one month flowers form many small round black-coloured mat berries about a nailsbreadth or nailsbreadth in size. (??) Each berry has one seed inside. Each seed is dry, brown, a grain long and little less then a grain wide. Berries are juicy and tasteful, taste sweet but at the same time they are also bitter and that combination is very tasty. They are eaten not only by men but by many wild animals. Seeds, located in berries, are spread around by animals and men. They stay in the soil until the first rain and then they start growing. It usually takes six years until the bush has reached its full size and it lasts for 20 years. (twenty!)

Territory.
The Blackberry Bush is mainly found in the Northern areas of the Ráhaz-Dáth in the Southern most part of the Sarvonia continent. It is found around  and east of Open Woodlands, at the area between Narfost Plain and the sea east of Barvados. Small quantities are found around Firefeet’s Rest and at some places north of The Yar’Dangs. It grows aside from* other plants because its branches need much space and sun, and their roots deprive other plants of the needed water. This way you don't say, that it needs a huge amount of water. Blackberry Bush is not very cultivated because it needs specific dry ground with delicate balance of sun, water and soil type. Cultivated bushes are smaller, they blossom rarely and berries are small and not so juicy as wild ones.
See my comments above

* 'aside from' means something else, I think you mean 'away from', maybe 'aside other plants' would be correct HELP native speakers!

Usage.
It is very common used by the Shendar, the (here the 'the' indicates, that they are the only nomads, otherwise there could be more) nomads of Ráhaz-Dáth. The berries are mainly used for producing specific dark blue dye. They are smashed, squeezed and mixed in a small amount of water (a mug of water and two dippers of berries). The solution is then filtered with cloth and the liquid purified.
I think you need at least one other ingredient for a dye, which is meant to last, I will look for it
Pure dye is used () mostly for dying cloth (especially by the Shen-Kha'si () tribe). The dye is also used in cosmetics and in production of chemicals used in clay tiles painting, granary painting, ink colour making and alchemy.
Slowly, lol, let me elaborate a bit. The colour for the tiles is a secret! I think we do not use the word chemicals, have to look it after. What is ganary painting? I would propose following sentence (it is easier this way instead telling you what I need)

The Shendar , especially the clay people, use this dye not only for colouring their tunicas, blankets and other items for the daily use, but also, in addition to the red-brown dye they get from the hen'di bush, for doing their elaborate paintings on their hands, feet and occasionally in their face. For this purpose however an additional additive, which is not known to 'outsiders', is added. It is said, that this dye is an important ingredient of the colour the famous Uderza tiles come with, but this is not verified and more a rumour than anything else.
This dye is an important part of Shendar business as well. It is sold to Bardavos where it is processed to become the best ink Santharia wide (at least Bardavos lays this claim), and to Varcopas where it is shipped worldwide to be sold not only for dying processes, but also to alchemy labors and producers of fine oil paints.

Berries are also used for food. It is possible to bake a bread from dried berries, although it is not very often done because dried berries are mainly used feed their aj’nuvics.

Lol, I don't think you need to feed this to the aj'nuvics, they will take them where they get them!
I doubt you can make a bread with only berries, why don't you invent a fruitcake?

I would propose somethign like that (find your own additions)
Berries are also used for food. Dried berries are a durable treet, used at many occasions, for fruitbread, a desert speciality or for the famous Bardavos fruit cake, but also as an addition to cheese (look that shendar chees eup) or a breakfast with grinded grains.

Shendar people, as their aj'nuvics, prefer berries fresh , but if they are able to harvest them abundantly, they make jams out of it.

The usage of cultivated plants is mainly for decorative purposes. Its berries are not used for food because they are smaller and duller than usual ones. Blackberry Bush is usually cultivated and grown in bigger citties with simmilar climate and soil in Ráhaz-Dáth(like Uderza, Bardavos, Strata and even Thalambath and Varcopas). They are mainly used to decorate private gardens and parks because of their beautiful appearance when it is full of flowers.

HMM, here you need to decide, if you want them to be a bit picky what the environement concerns, or not. And if you want to take up the proposal, that it stinks or has any other not so welcome properties. Why don't you say, it grows only in the wild, but that there is a cultivated variety, whihc grows in pots, if thoroughly looked after? This cultivated variety could have lost that stinking quality - or any other you come up with

Wood is not very often used for firewood because it has to much water in it, but if you dry it for some time(around half a year) it becomes highly flammable because of it's oily substances. Oil is sometimes extracted from branches and sold bottled for heating, light source in oil lamps and in scent industry.
You don't need to give it too many properties! I doubt, that it is easy to get this oil, so why don't you say, it is cherrished for its scent? Skip the heating, use it for light and scent only. Then the wood would be used not for heating or light-giving, but for its scent while burning! Maybe it is only used for special purposes?

Shendar will sometimes dig up the Blackberry's roots in times of draught for the large amount of water the roots store. Big Blackberry Bush’s roots are also used to hold Shendars’ tent (dome) to the ground.

(ermm, how??)

Medical usage.
Young leaves (before they are three months old) are handpicked and dried to make tea mixture. Tea cooked out of dried leaves is used for stomach pain and problems with digestion. However, you need to be very careful when drinking Blackberry Bush tea because in large amounts it is poisonous and can cause dehydration and diarrhoea. It may even cause death.
The oil is purified and mixed with a certain amount of water and ashes that allow oil and water to mix. The mixing is very delicate process because one must know the exact  cause of poisoning in order to prepare medicine. (Do you need other substances as well? Is the oil the base only? Would be even cooler as if it is the antitoxin itself)
That treatment is kept secret because the oil is very powerful and toxic so it may easy cause death of the user if mixed or used in wrong quantities.
Do you mean, that the oil itself is toxic and you need to know, what has bitten you and how much poison you have in you to decide how much oil to use? Then you need to explain it a bit better. This would be ok as well, thouhg very difficult to apply.
Oil extracted from young branches and leaves mixed with other scents is used for massage and therapy during recovery from wounds.

Myth/Lore.
The Blackberry Bush is thought to be one of many important plants in the life of the Shendar. They believe that the existence of multipurpose (sounds too modern)plant like this cannot be coincidence.
They believe that the existence of a plant which has so many different usages cannot be coincidence.
They believe that this plant marks entire areas where it's found as very fertile and habitable.
Well, the area where it grows is not overly habitable, skip this one

In history dye gotten from Blackberry Bush was being used for ritual facial and body paint. People were dyeing their bodies to secure gods’ attention to their problem, to ask for help and assistance. Oil from Blackberry Bush is also used in religion rituals like worshiping of Baveros God and in burial ceremonies. Bitter dough for mourning ritual is made of the dried berries of Blackberry Bush.

Basically yes. Ihave no time left to go in more detail, so just some proposals how to elaborate a bit on this.

Baveros God
My dear, I'm shocked!!!

OK, LOL

Body painting is used till today, but it can of course have the origine you describe.

I'm too tired now, but you have a few good ideas here I like and might add to the Shendar entry . I will get to this subject later.

Your English is much better than I assumed first, if you only could come to terms with "the" and "a"- Otherwise good work!

:D

Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2009, 01:17:03 »

I appreciete your comments and here are some explanations before I do any corrections:
Habitat and cultivation: all I meant with this problematic cultivation is to say that this plant requires  desert(semi- desert actually) conditions. People can plant it everywhere but it will not grow(or it will be smaller) if those conditions aren't met(like soil and humidity)
 if you water it too much or too little it will die it is very hard to keep it alive
I had an idea of plantingit on crossroads to mark places where roads divide or cross each other and to form some places to rest
branches are hard to break because they are full of oil and with a hard skin
roots can be used as a hooks to keep th dome to the ground(think I read something like that in the cultur section with Shendars) but that is just a suggestion

and about mythology I don't know much about Shandar(actually any) mythology andreligion so those were just some basic concepts just like the body painting ideas

I will put other ideas( like oil, dye, roots) in story
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]