Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Season Weed  (Read 3778 times)
Ishana Lachora

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 October 2008, 20:46:14 »

Overview:
Season Weed is a small plant that grows in arid and semi-arid areas only few days in a year after a rains. When it releases their seeds the air is filled with small dust-like particles so that the air looks like it is filled with sparks. After it releases the seeds it quickly dries out and dies. It is used for food by men and animals because it gives a lot of energy.

Appearance:
Season Weed is very small green plant. It usually has two, max three, round leaves five nailsbreadth in width and length. The entire plant is dark green, and bubbles are transparent and filled with sparks. The leaves are placed on the ground, opposite one another around a short(max. two nailsbreadths high) stalk.
Under the leaves, a stalk starts from small area size of a coin. From the top of it the weed grows leaves and the stalk, and sends many short roots down into the soil. The stalk is soft and by the side of it there are a dozen of pods. The pods are very fragile and sensitive to touch. When they burst the air around them is filled with small(less than a grain), colourless and sparkly particles(which are actually seeds).

Territory:
Its territory is not specifically determined, it can be found everywhere when winds took the spores and conditions for its growth are met. It needs very specific climate conditions, lot of sun, the heat and a certain level of air humidity.
So it's found from Heats of Wilderon, Rahaz-Dath Desert, all over Sarvonia continent and to the other continents like Nybelmar to The Desert of Phenyuul on Isle of Doranthakar.
Sometimes it is found in many other places in Caelereth but it is not dangerous invasive specie because it depends on climate conditions so it usually dissapears the next season. It grows in large quantities on desert areas at base of the mountains that surround them(like base of Imlith Mts. in Heats of Wilderon). Those are places where dry winds from the deserts blow to mountains and stop there dropping all seed particles. Usually at those places it grows so strong that it creates beautiful green carpets.

Usages:
The weed is mainly used for food because of its great nutritional value. It grows so fast that it takes all the energy and stores it for that time. Many small animals eat it and its carpets attract many animals and give them hiding places. It is said that an old man who eats a handful of fresh leaves of Season weed can get all his power back for short amount of time. When available it is also used for baby food. It can be stored for short time but not for too long because it loses its value.
Some alchemists were trying to make a power elixir from its leaves but they failed(or that is said). They were thinking that because the plant is full of energy and they assumed that all that energy can be turned in the elixir that would revive human and give them a energy burst.
It is believed that sparkling seeds can make human invisible if he covers himself with high quantities of it. Many mags collect seeds for that use. What is known for sure is that walking through clouds of sparkles can cause you to feel lighter. Also when walking through it people start to sparkle and fade but no one ever became totally invisible.

Reproduction:
Not much is known about its life cycle. It is thought that small seeds make their way to the ground and when they get water start growing. It is thought by some herbalists that the seeds are taking life force from the Earth because no one had ever grown a Season Weed outside the wilderness( like in homes, gardens and habitats outside its original territory etc.). The day after plant starts growing it will have already grown to the surface, after two days it produces leaves to make food and energy. The plant uses all its energy in producing seeds and its only purpose is to reproduce.
The small roots are not used for consuming water from the ground but rather to simply hold it to the ground. After couple of days the stalk with leaves and bubbles is completely grown and ready. It waits for the right conditions, wind and dry air. It is belived that this plant can somehow detect weather conditions, but no one seems to have an idea how that could be done. When the pods snap they produce an odd sound like the snapping of a whip. After all pods are emptied the plant starts to dry out fast and it dies within a couple of days.

Myth/Lore:
The plant is symbol of resistance of life. It shows that nature is powerful and that it can survive long periods in hard conditions. It is also symbol of persistence and patience.
Many people claim that fields of Season Weed are the most beautiful thing to see. They look like a green carpet surrounded by air filled with sparkling seeds.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2009, 08:02:34 by Ishana Lachora » Logged
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2008, 18:53:49 »

this is basic concept so I want some comments to add something more.
Basicly this is supposed to be small unimportant plant with very short life and huge spore production.
I placed it in Weeds category but it is basicly a fern.
This name i just work version but it can stay like this.
If u have any better ideas for name of weed suggest it.
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2008, 21:16:34 »

Briefly, a couple of comments from a weary bard  ;) 

It's far too technically worded ('gametes', 'capsule', spores, etc.)  Try to write from a medieval, or at least renaissance, perspective - do not use concepts that medieval researchers couldn't have discovered or believed in.  Use some fantasy and some inaccuracy - we don't have to know every detail, and some of those details may be actually wrong.... (The medieval bear did NOT give birth to little red balls which she then licked into the shape of cubs, despite the Bestiary writers' opinions....)  Have fun with this, and add some unique ideas.

What is the point of this plant?  It may be 'unimportant' but if you are going to write about it and create an entry for the Compendium, it must have SOME function in the world of Caelereth.  Are its seeds thought to have the power of making people invisible (as fern seed was once believed to do?)?   Is it a major food source for small rodents (part of the food chain)?  Is it planted deliberately as a decorative plant?  Are its roots edible, or used as a fixative by dyers or tanners?  Are its flowers a particularly potent sophorific?   Can the juice/sap from its crushed leaves be used as insect repellent, or, (like our common weed plantain), perhaps contains an insect bite treatment which soothes the itch or sting?     Just a few possibilities for this 'weed'....  think outside the box!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2008, 07:08:50 »

good point
I went back on designing, I'll try to do something with life cycle
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2009, 08:40:42 »

this is 80% new text so I need your opinions.
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2009, 22:53:11 »

Ok, grammar and spelling in teal
Comments in Lime Green

Overview: Small plant that grows in arid and semi-arid areas only few days in a year after a rains. Make sure you use full sentences - i.e. ones with a verb.  "This is a small plant...." When it releases spores the air is filled with tiny dust-like seeds. Judy mentioned in her last post that "spores" was a bit too modern.  How about "incredibly tiny seeds which look more like a cloud of thick smoke to the human eye." After it releases the/itsseeds it fast <--quickly dries out and dies. It is used for food by men and animals because it gives lot of energy.  Why would it give a lot of energy when it has to use so much for very fast growth?  Maybe the domant form of the plant, the seed or bulb or root, is the part which gives lots of energy?

Appearance: Season Weed is very small green plant. It usually has two, max three, round leaves five nailsbreadth in width and length. The entire plant is dark green, and bubbles are transparent and filled with sparks what bubbles?. The leaves are placed on the ground, opposite one to another around  a/the short(max two nailsbreadth high) stalk. Under the leaves, the stalk starts <--grows?/begins to grow? from small area size of a coin. From the top of it the weed grows leaves and a stalk, and to the ground side it is full of short roots and sends many short roots down into the soil. The stalk is soft and by the side of it there are a doesen <-- dozen of bubbles  Personally I would say "pods". The bubbles are very fragile and sensitive to touch. When they burst the air around it <-- them is filled with small(less than a grain), colourless and sparkly particles(seed actually which are actually seeds).

Life cycle: This should be called "Reproduction", and be after the Usages section. Not much is known about its life cycle. It is thought that small seeds make their way to the ground and in contact with when they find water start growing. It is considered <-- thought by some herbalists that the seeds are taking life force from the Earth because no one had ever grown a Season Weed outside the wilderness. Why would there be more life force in a desert than elsewhere?  There are other plants which don't grow outside the desert too :) The day after plant starts growing it will have already grown to the surface, after two days it produces leaves to make food and energy. The plant uses all its energy in producing seeds and its only purpose is to reproduce. The small roots are not used for consuming water from the ground but rather to simply hold it to the ground. Nice touch :) After couple of days the stalk with leaves and bubbles is completely grown and ready. It waits for the right conditions, wind and dry air, which is detected with it's leaves and bubbles. How do we know how it detects this?  With medieval equipment, I'm not sure we can, we can only guess. When the bubbles snap they produce an odd sound like the snapping of a whip. After all bubbles are emptied the plant starts to dry out fast and it dies within a couple of days.

Territory: Its territory is not specifically determined, it can be found everywhere where winds take the spores. Still there are some conditions; for growth it needs a lot of sun, there mustn't much rain and soil mustn't be fertilised.  So it can't really be found anywhere the wind takes the spores, can it, only in desert-like conditions ;)
So it's found from Heats of Wilderon, Rahaz-Dath Desert, all over Sarvonia continent and to the other continents like Nybelmar to The Desert of Phenyuul on Isle of Doranthakar.
It is found in many other places in Caelereth but it is not dangerous invasive specie because it depends on climate conditions. It grows in large quantities on desert areas at base of the mountains that surround them(like base of Imlith Mts. in Heats of Wilderon). Those are places where dry winds from the deserts blow to mountains and stop there dropping all seed particles to small areas where it grows so strong that it creates (very brief!) green carpets.

Usages: The weed is mainly used for food because of its great nutritive <--nutritional value. Many small animals eat it and its carpets attracts many animals and gives them hiding places.  It is said that an old man who eats a handfull <--handful of fresh leaves of Season weed can get all its <--his power back for short amount of time. It is also used for baby food. How can it be a common food when it grows for only a few days a year?  Does it store well?
Some alchemists were trying to make a power elixir from its leaves but they failed(or that is said).  Why would they think that it might make a powerful elixir?
It is believed that sparkling seeds can make human invisible if he covers himself with high quantities of it. Many mags collect seeds for that use. What is known for sure is that walking through clouds of sparkles can cause you to feel lighter. Also when walking through it people start to sparkle and fade but no one ever became totally invisible while that.

Myth/Lore: The plant is symbol of resistance of life. It shows that nature is powerfull <--powerful and that it can survive long periods in hard conditions. It is also symbol of persistence and patience.
Many people claim that fields of Season Weed are the most beautiful thing to see. They look like a green carpet surrounded by air filled with sparkling seeds.

Well done Ishana, this is a really interesting plant with some unusual ideas behind it.  The image of a patch of arid desert which is suddenly and briefly turned into a green paradise is especially beautiful.  Just watch your grammar as you tend to miss out the articles quite frequently and it makes it confusing to read.  I hope my thoughts help you towards getting this in the compedium,

Rookie xx

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2009, 23:19:10 »

If there are seeds there have to be flowers first, they may be very tiny though. How are they fertilised?

You could write, that, though they do look like a carpet from afar, the individual plant grows several nailsbredth from the next. That is the case in earthen deserts.

Another question would be - if there is a soil to hold the plant and if rain comes, then probably all other plants whose seeds only wait for the water, will grow as well and as quickly as your weed. What now? Maybe it grows only in true desert areas on a moving sandy soil like dunes? And they produce a sticky substance in the roots which glues the sandcorns a bit together while it is thriving? Just an idea.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2009, 03:33:56 »

@Talia
actually I thought to make a plant without flowers. Its reproduction is simmilar to the way sea animals and fishes reproduct. The spores( i won't use this term to write compendium) are released in the air. The spores are reproductive cells and they are mixed and fertilised in the air(like in the sea). Seed that is then formed falls to the ground and thenit goes all over again. I hope this is possible in Caeleroth( it is in the RL).
It is doesn't have any problems with other plants because it just grows very fast and when other plants reach surface weed already died. So that it can make big carpets but for very short time only(one or two days max.).

@rookie
Weed drains all the energy it can store and use it to encrease the speed of growth. That is why it's full of energy. Because of its energy value it is used as a food while it grows. It can be stored just as any plant(just for a couple of days). Because it is so filled with energy some people thought that elixir made from it would give energy and revitalisation.
People didn't found out how can the plant detect weather conditions but they noticed it is very sensitive so they assumed it has the way to detect.
I didn't mean to say that deserts are full of life force. It is just that because people couldn't see the way for a seed to survive so long in the ground they thought it can absorb force from the ground to grow. There are some conditions to be met for this plant to grow so that it can't grow outside its natural environment(it can't grow in forests, grasslands, homes, gardens outside arid areas).
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2009, 04:19:37 »

I would make those excellent points obvious in your entry then  grin

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2009, 08:04:46 »

Now?
Ishana Lachora

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2009, 22:28:29 »

comments please
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2009, 02:59:53 »

good going, Ishana, in venturing a non-flowering plant in a pre-science world. i've been struggling with similiar problems in trying to make a moss. this entry's helped see a way round them, so it's only fair i try to find something to comment on.  grin
comments in yellow.

Overview:
Season Weed is a small plant that grows in arid and semi-arid areas only few days in a year after a rains. When it releases their <its? seeds the air is filled with small dust-like particles so that the air looks like it is filled with sparks. After it releases the seeds it quickly dries out and dies. It is used for food by men and animals because it gives a lot of energy.

Appearance:
Season Weed is very small green plant. It usually has two, max three, round leaves five nailsbreadths in width and length. The entire plant is dark green, and bubbles< got slightly confused, and it's probably just me, but ar bubbles the rounded tubercles on the underside of fern leaves, or something else? are transparent and filled with sparks. The leaves are placed on the ground, opposite one another around a short(max. two nailsbreadths high) stalk.
Under the leaves, a stalk starts from small area the size of a coin. From the top of it the weed grows leaves and the stalk, and sends many short roots down into the soil. The stalk is soft and by the side of it there are a dozen of pods. The pods are very fragile and sensitive to touch. When they burst the air around them is filled with small(less than a grain), colourless and sparkly particles(which are actually seeds). a particularly pedantic point, but how much of the air around them? i mean, a few palmspans high, or as tall as a person? just wondering.

Territory:
Its territory is not specifically determined, it can be found everywhere where winds took the spores and conditions for its growth are met. It needs very specific climate conditions; a lot of sun, the heat and a certain level of air humidity.
So it's found from Heaths of Wilderon, Rahaz-Dath Desert, all over Sarvonia continent and to the other continents like Nybelmar to The Desert of Phenyuul on Isle of Doranthakar.
Sometimes it is found in many other places in Caelereth but it is not a dangerous invasive species because it depends on climate conditions so it usually dissapears the next season. It grows in large quantities on desert areas at base of the mountains that surround them(like base of Imlith Mts. in Heats of Wilderon). Those are places where dry winds from the deserts blow to mountains and stop there, dropping all seed particles. Usually at those places it grows so strong that it creates beautiful green carpets.

Usages:
The weed is mainly used for food because of its great nutritional value. It grows so fast that it takes all the energy and stores it for that time. Many small animals eat it and its carpets attract many animals and give them hiding places. It is said that an old man who eats a handful of fresh leaves of Season weed can get all his power back for short amount of time. When available it is also used for baby food. It can be stored for short time but not for too long because it loses its value. What does it taste like?
Some alchemists were trying to make a power elixir from its leaves but they failed(or that is said). They were thinking that because the plant is full of energy and they assumed that all that energy can be turned in the elixir that would revive human and give them a energy burst.
It is believed that sparkling seeds can make a human invisible if he covers himself with high quantities of it. Many mages collect seeds for that use. What is known for sure is that walking through clouds of sparkles can cause you to feel lighter. Also when walking through it people start to sparkle and fade but no one ever became totally invisible.

Reproduction:
Not much is known about its life cycle. It is thought that small seeds make their way to the ground and, when they get water, start growing. It is thought by some herbalists that the seeds are taking life force from the Earth because no one had ever grown a Season Weed outside the wilderness( like in homes, gardens and habitats outside its original territory etc.). The day after thecolor]plant starts growing it will have already grown to the surface, after two days it produces leaves to make food and energy. The plant uses all its energy in producing seeds and its only purpose is to reproduce.
The small roots are not used for consuming water from the ground but rather to simply hold it to the ground. After couple of days the stalk with leaves and bubbles is completely grown and ready. It waits for the right conditions, wind and dry air. It is belived that this plant can somehow detect weather conditions, but no one seems to have an idea how that could be done. When the pods snap they produce an odd sound like the snapping of a whip. After all pods are emptied the plant starts to dry out fast and it dies within a couple of days.

Myth/Lore:
The plant is asymbol of the resistance of life. It shows that nature is powerful and that it can survive long periods in hard conditions. It is also symbol of persistence and patience.
Many people claim that fields of Season Weed are the most beautiful thing to see. They look like a green carpet surrounded by air filled with sparkling seeds. i really like this last touch. if you can think of anything to emphasise this beautiful image, great, but i think it's fine as it is.

a nice entry - i'm kinda new to the herbarim, but as someone with a fairly geeky interest in non flowering plants, this seems to work pretty well. the sparkly clouds of spores are a particularly nice touch. well done.

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Thurwald fastsword

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2009, 03:14:50 »

you said it grows in hot areas so how can it grow in a cold area like the heaths of wildron which are near frozen seas

war is not evil just the people that start it are
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]