Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: That-Which-Devours, a cute little gift for Azhira  (Read 12209 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« on: 28 December 2008, 07:00:15 »

Drasillian edits

That-Which-Devours

Category; Apparitions

Overview;
The monstrous entity known to the inhabitants of the Osthemangar region as That-Which-Devours has puzzled many generations, and will most likely continue to do so for a long time. There are precious few consistent and verified facts to be found about this apparition that lurks in the dense mists of the area, and theories run as wild as the creatures of the frozen wastelands it calls home. All in all it might be wiser not to try and find out.

Appearance;
Little is known about the actual appearance of this monstrosity. Most survivors of an attack claim to have seen nothing but a seething mass of dark mist, with rare glimpses of sharp, bone-coloured teeth or claws and n'orsidian-black skin underneath. Others recount stories of an impossibly fast moving giant humanoid of shadows, a swarm of black butterflies, even their own mirror image outfitted with horrendous tusks and claws. The only unifying aspect to these encounters seems to be a cloud of suffocating, eternal malevolence that surrounds That-Which-Devours.
Several survivors also recount hearing soft voices upon the wind just before the creature struck, alternating between faraway screams of inhuman agony with the soft whispers of malevolent voices talking to the soon-to-be victim, and telling him or her of their imminent, unavoidable death and the horrors that await beyond it.
As far as research has managed to confirm, the apparition has no scent, at least not one that trained wargs have been able or willing to follow, nor does it leave tracks of any recognisable kind.

Special abilities;
That-Which-Devours seems to be invulnerable to weapons made by Man, Orc or Dwarf, and in fact cannot be touched by even the fiercest warriors, as was proved by an orc who bravely tried to punch it.  The only result of his bravery, of course, was his finding that his hand would pass right through, but not without large strips of flesh being torn away. Although the Osther-Oc mentioned was fortunate enough to survive the encounter, the wounds That-Which-Devours inflicted could not be healed, mutilating him permanently.
This leads us to the second noteworthy ability of this entity: the ability to, while immaterial in itself, touch the living world with apparent ease. That-Which-Devours strips a victim to the bone without even scratching the underlying skeleton, with perfectly straight and cleanly cut wounds as a result.

Territory;
That-Which-Devours dwells, as far as anyone can tell, solely in the dense fogs that surround the Deep Winds portal of Osthemangar. It lurks only in places where it cannot be seen, and rarely, if ever, ventures near settled areas, preferring to prey on targets that do not have the protection of a shelter and fire.

Behaviour;
As That-Which-Devours has never truly been seen, no observations have been made in regards to its behaviour when not hunting. Additionally, it would appear impossible to mount an expedition in order to retrieve such information, with regards to both the extremely dangerous conditions within the Mists of Osthemangar, as the specific dangers that appear to arise whenever someone encounters That-Which-Devours, namely being eaten alive.

Diet;
While this ghastly entity inflicts terrible flesh wounds upon its victims, it is unknown whether it requires such sustenance to live, or merely enjoys the senseless pain and suffering it causes in its victims. If it does feed off its prey, no resulting droppings have even been found or properly identified as such. Of course, given the unnatural nature of the Mists of Osthemangar and many of its occupants, it is entirely possible that this ravenous entity merely kills and maims for its own enjoyment.

Myth/Lore
With a creature as obscure and hard to track, not to mention lethal when encountered as That-Which-Devours, and the supernatural nature of the Mists of Osthemangar, it is nigh-impossible to distinguish between truth and myth. While there is most certainly a fearsome creature in the Mists that kills or maims those it encounters, this is also the only fact that can be considered a truth without any such remaining doubt.

Often heard speculations include it being a Demon, drawn through the Deep Winds Portal but contained within its field of influence yet eager to devour all life it encounters, or That-Which-Devours as a guardian entity, created by the selfsame mage whom first opened the Portal, to it being a manifestation of the lost souls of dead explorers, trying to take back the life they lost from hapless travelers.
Some even stand by the ridiculous notion that it is the incarnation of Coór, the Dark God of elven myth himself, although this theory does not quite manage to explain why such an all-powerfull being would be locked away in the Mists for so long.

« Last Edit: 19 August 2009, 05:49:08 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2008, 09:15:27 »

Appearance;
None

Wow, a monster with no face, I guess? buck hehe
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2008, 18:41:35 »

Well, none as far as we know. The few survivors never saw anything as it hunts in the thick fog, and those who did get the chance to study it closely... *holds out a few mangled bone fragments* Care to ask?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2008, 19:11:32 »

Comes bouncing through the thread, whispering ominously, "It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it. It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, captain", hopping off again immediately.

Did any of the survivors actually scratch "Arghhhh" in a nearby rock? :b

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2008, 19:13:10 »

No, but one composed a seventeen-verses long poem about the agony of having the flesh stripped from his legs in the snow Gean, does that help?

Avrah Kehabhra

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2008, 22:47:36 »

that sounds like fun. actually it sounds like something i've spent most of today tryinto learn  by heart for my synoptic exam on first world war literature. so maybe not so fun.
just a note, but i'd always taken the appearance section to refer not just to what it looks like, but sound, sell, taste and touch... grin

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2008, 22:51:52 »

Correct :) its just a placeholder for now, which will, as usual for my entries, steadily be suplemented with a few lines here and there untill all sections are (somewhat) filled in.

Avrah Kehabhra

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2008, 23:08:31 »

See, if bloodreborn could have climbed down from his lofty perch for a few moments, this is just the kind of entry he would have been good at.

As it is, you are the perfect person to be creating such a 'thing', Mira, and I look forward with eager anticipation to the next thrilling installment..........

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2008, 23:28:16 »

Most Excellent, Mira dear! Suitably creepy and ominous. Be sure to keep the entry vague with varying myths and stories explaining the entity. Most lore would come from the orcs or the occasional brave adventurer to the Mists...barely escaping with thier lives of course to tell the tale.

The Mists are slowly developing into quite the strange and deadly place! Between devouring apparitions, noxious mushrooms, serpents and bone dragons...oh and blood orc cults, I am LOVING this!

Work continues on the main Mists entry as more and more ideas come in.  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2008, 00:10:31 »

Sounds a bit Lovecraft-inspired. ;) Looks interesting!

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2008, 00:13:13 »

Could be, unintentionally. I've been playing a board game called "Arkham Horor" a lot lately, which is based on the Mythos.

Avrah Kehabhra

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2008, 02:25:42 »

I'll be watching this carefully, Mira.  I have, I think as there are few details yet, a creature in the Frozen Wastes that may be related to this.  My Sleeper in the Snow (as of yet, mentioned in the update, but only fleshed out slightly in my head) is going to be a creature that lies in wait of victims, and very little about it is known to most people, though the myths surrounding it will be great with fear.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2008, 04:06:52 »

ooh! mindbolt!
if you're looking into devouring beasts, you might wanta have a quick google of T'ao T'ieh, the chinese devouring demon emblazoned on loads of pots and decorative items as a protective symbol. one of the oldest such creatures i've heard of, and consists of a disembodied head that chases people and swallows them, only to vomit them up at the last second, and try again. yes, kind of like that nightmare... evil

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2008, 11:36:16 »

I'll be watching this carefully, Mira.  I have, I think as there are few details yet, a creature in the Frozen Wastes that may be related to this.  My Sleeper in the Snow (as of yet, mentioned in the update, but only fleshed out slightly in my head) is going to be a creature that lies in wait of victims, and very little about it is known to most people, though the myths surrounding it will be great with fear.

Altario, I would welcome this creature as a possible haunt in the Mists. Another nasty couldn't hurt and you don't even have to be specific and detailed about it! After all, anything in the Mists is vague and full of myth anyway. Huh? What do you think? *nudge*  grin

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2008, 11:46:18 »

I shall put my mind to it.   :D

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]