Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: Rimmerins Ring and a long put off apology  (Read 32666 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 14 March 2009, 07:16:57 »

I got tired of this particular discussion, but I don't think this is what you were telling me you were planning towards the end.
As did I.
I thought you said that "Rimmerian" was a term for all the people living in the ring, a sort of general term for anyone of any tribe who was living there. 
No. I said multiple times, I donno, maybe from the very beggining of the discussion all the through, that the Rimmerians Man would be a CATCH-ALL TERM FOR ANYONE BEARING MIXED BLOOD IN THE RING. This doesn't hint at culture, doesn't talk about numbers - all it states is that yes, Rookie, there are "mixed-breed" people in the Ring.

Isn't this making a new clan too?
No. Not in any way, shape or form - don't go looking for controversy.

I thought these were nicknames, not actual real names?
Once again, don't go looking for controversy - a "common name" implies a nickname status, just with a tad more high diction.

I do have one other question, which might seem a little late, but reading the proposal for this entry you agree to focus on the landscape rather than the people.  What made you change it?
I never meant to, and I don't think I really did - its just that the people interact so much with the landscape, they're almost inseperable. I think what really happened is the critiscm was heaped more on the people.
More later..

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 15 March 2009, 11:44:11 »

All right, mixed the two versions, and double-checked to make sure your concerns were addressed, Rook - also changed that spelling discrepancy. Irid, I've changed the bit about the book, though I've elected to keep the accent intact.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2009, 04:22:38 by Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth » Logged

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 24 March 2009, 04:26:22 »

Just justifying the aceent a little bit - the people of the Ring, be they one of several varieities of mixed-breed, Eyelian, Serpherlonian, Avern., occasionally travel to come together, at certain market events, to trade crop for crop, or livestock for bauble, what have you. Anyways, there's enough meeting that every now and then, a certain foriegn word may enter the common vernacular, and one may see one dialect as predominating throughout the region, though there is certainly great amounts of variety, perhaps not from village to village.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 24 March 2009, 20:45:22 »

I really don't feel like I want to work with you any more Nsiki.  I really am trying to help with every comment I make, trying so hard to point out places where things could be misread or don't quite make sense, or don't fit with the site.  I'm sorry if you feel I'm looking for controversy - I was only looking for places where it could be misread as something different so you could change the wording and make it clearer what you meant.  And I still feel that what was decided in the Rimmerins Men thread isn't what's being written here.

I can't work with you like this any more.  Maybe discussing our differences in pm would help?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 25 March 2009, 04:05:36 »

Fair enough, Rookie, I'm up for that if you are.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 30 March 2009, 03:33:41 »

The color's been stripped, though I can return it if need be - I saved the coded version. Several typos were fixed, a nod to the gigglepebbles introduced, and I made a few changes to the Rimmerian part.
In some areas, the several human tribes have coexisted and interbred, forming the contemporary Rimmerian - a catch-all term for anyone of mixed blood in the Ring. A growing population, the Rimmerian man is found in several parts of the Ring. However, only in recent years has a common culture begun to emerge, spurred by common "market days" and increased travel and trade in the Ring.

Grunok the Exile

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #156 on: 30 March 2009, 13:46:07 »

Okay, just thought I'd post here so we're all clear.  I'm not a fan of what is being done in this entry. 

As an experienced developer and commentor, I have tried to offer ideas of how this entry could be made to fit better into the world.  I have felt my comments have been either ignored by Nsiki or their advice selectively attended to, or minimised.  I have seen the same thing happen to others time and again.

So, I stopped commenting on this entry entirely.  As a direct consequence of this entry, I stopped coming to the board because I knew there was only more of this same uphill battle to face.  Perhaps this was bad of me, but I couldn't think what else to do, and so just started avoiding the problem.  But now I am here, and this is what I have to say:

I do not approve of what is being done in this entry with the people and areas upon which I am called an expert.  I do not approve of the sweeping, uninclusive style of development in this entry.  I also find the ideas here poorly integrated into substance and the spirit of the compendium.  This would be a fixable error had the writer been more able to listen and integrate comments, or even had the entry been on a smaller area, or an area not the most central to our world.

For what it is worth, as a moderator of this forum, I withold my approval for this entry until further notice.

Sincerely,

Grunok.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #157 on: 30 March 2009, 17:17:59 »

Thanks Grun for clarifying this.

Dear Nsiki, did Rookie find already the time to send you the PM (on our, mine and Grun's behalf as well)?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2009, 18:24:28 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 30 March 2009, 19:23:14 »

Not yet - busy weekend again :(.  I'm collecting all the bits now.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 31 March 2009, 05:12:36 »

Its been sent.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 31 March 2009, 08:30:43 »

I also find the ideas here poorly integrated into substance and the spirit of the compendium.
See frankly, I find that offensive. I worked tirelessly, for months and months and months to try to make this entry perfectly fine-tuned, under the impression that all bade well.
Apparently I was wrong.

Anyways, I'm going to address a few of the points you three have brought up:
The ability to read between the lines as it were, and understand an entry, instead of merely noticing the list of facts presented within it, it crucial to avoiding conflicts of development and (embarrassing) mistakes.
See, it seems to me that whenever I have tried to deviate in the slightest from the exact text of an entry, I have been met with heavy-handedness and an unwillingness to look at things from a different perspective.

it is important to be aware of this and allow others some space to breathe as well. In a team project such as this, no claim is absolute
Exactly my view - I've felt for quite some time now that while my claim's are by no means absolute, those I butt heads with seem to believe they are. I've felt fairly constricted and as if some of my fellow Dreamer's haven't been willing to give ground on many-a-issue. In other words, the stubbornness isn't all on my side.

Sometimes (but not all the time) it may just be a case of wording problems, but you have to remember that the wording is all we can see... We're not sure you really understand this at the moment, and it frustrates us, which in turn frustrates you because we seem to be nitpicking at tiny little details.
Yes, I completed agree here. And I would say that I'm willing to try my hardest to try to see things for others perspectives if you will do the same for me.

What we can't handle any more is finding changes to our spheres of development hidden in reams of text.
Yes, I can easily see this point as well - just keep in mind I'm dealing with the same reams of text, and sometimes things slip through the cracks, what with Santharia, college applications, AP courses, work, ad infintatum.. I never ever mean to be offensive or callous - I'm sure 100% of the time its simply that things slip through the cracks of my mind... once again, I will try to work on this.

I want to think you for your mostly kind and courteous tone, it's very much appreciated. I suppose the question now is... where to go next?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #161 on: 31 March 2009, 15:56:03 »

Nsiki, why, I wonder, did this happen with you, and not with somebody else in the whole 7 years I'm here? Why do three other people feel the same?

And I think I answered some of your questions from your last post in my PM to you.
I've felt for quite some time now that while my claim's are by no means absolute, those I butt heads with seem to believe they are
<--- this one e.g.

But please, don't answer here. Wasn't the idea to handle this via PM? Or shared e-mail? Or maybe even we four could all meet on IRC in an extra channel? (Which might not be an idea so good, for there is no time to really think about what you say.)

The"next" could be discussed there as well.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2009, 15:58:40 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 18 June 2009, 23:47:37 »

Allright, I'm back. I was waiting for Rookie to help me with this, but as she is busy with exams and such, I suppose, I've proceded to begin this without her. To Talia, Grun, and Rookie: I formally apologise for my disguisting behaivor on this board, and ask for your forgiveness with the utmost sincerity. As a good will gesture, I've decided to strip the Rimmerians completly from here: the term is used once, but only as a reference to all the denzins of the Ring collectivly, not a seperate ethnic group. I've realized just how much I miss this place, and that no one idea is worth the agony it can cause. Any firther help in moving this entry to its final stages would be most appreciated. Once again, dreaming
Nsikigan Yourth.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #163 on: 19 June 2009, 00:27:03 »

Nsiki, welcome back!   hug

Let us discuss how we will go on from here elsewhere, via PM or in the chat, ok? And not today, I've spent already to much time here.

And ---->   Don't forget your spellcheck - never ;) It looks better, if you are serious with what you said. There was no hurry to quickly type it down.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 19 June 2009, 01:06:12 »

Haha, I know, Talia :p
i switched browsers to googlechrome, and there's no "spellcheck as you type" anymore. Looks like I'll have to take some extra time now, lol
Just send me a pm whenever Tal :)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!