Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Basic Alchemical Tools  (Read 27505 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2009, 07:56:10 »

Well, after centuries of everyone around one politely chuckling or sycophantically guffawing at every utterance from one's mouth lest one extract some dramatic revenge, one may be forgiven for having the inbred assumption that wit is inherent in one's very genes and drips without effort in each syllable one chooses to speak...    possibly the reason for 'Marmarresque humour' as well?

(pokes Mira - and Deci - very gently, lest they extract some dramatic revenge in her direction...)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2009, 21:56:16 »

Excuse me, Judith, but does such things should occur in the thread like this? grin I thought we are having a development work in here. grin grin grin thumbup thumbup Alright, alright.... I understood that there have to be a break for some joke to not become too... how to say... zombic!!! grin

Have you (Judith) read my post about the namings of the tools?

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2009, 16:29:54 »

I’ve taken a look. grin A quick suggestion, because it is way too hot to be near a computer, a few names derived from Gnomic would be good. An example for you: You could have gelazt mean beaker to the gnomes and gelast could be the Tharian derived form. That is a pretty bad example, because I’m not too good at that, but a certain bard is. :)

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2009, 16:53:13 »

Yes, Mannix, I also thought about from Gnomic derived namings, although I found no gnomic word list or vocabulary. cry

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2009, 03:36:22 »

There's a thread for new Gnomic words somewhere, isn't there?  I think it's quite full.  Hang on, I'll see if I can find it, might help.

Here! http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,12017.0.html

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2009, 10:53:54 »

Yep we do have a list on the dev board, but since we are still very much in the process of developing the language, it isn't on site yet. I think Rookie meant to give you this link. ;) Though that the other one would be good if you plan to make so Gnomic words yourself. I'll try my hand at it later today.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2009, 22:19:08 »

At the moment I'm waiting for Judith's comments and thoughts about my provided namings. And thank you for Gnomish - Tharian vocabulary!!! grin I think it will come in handy!!! thumbup thumbup grin

Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2009, 20:35:54 »

Hello, everyone, again. I'm back. I'm sorry that I vanished from here so quickly and unexpected, but I have plenty of exams and I had to study hard to enter the best University in Baltic and in budget group. But now, I have some free time and I'm ready to develop this thing. I know you said that I should wait and I did so, and I really want to develop these alchemical things, because I like everything that is connected with chemistry and pharmacy in real world. So... I have searched for some gnomish namings for the alchemical tools and look what I had come up with.

Naming in real worldTharianGnomish
Test-tubeVial(no associations found in Gnomish vocabulary)
Test-tube standVial stand(no associations found)
Test-tube clampVial claw; vial branch(no associations found)
Beaker (Boiling glass)Boiling glassFirnel ??? (fir = flame, fire + nel = water - refers to something hot and boiling; but ??? - no word associations for word "glass" in vocabulary)
Conical flaskFlask(no associations found)
Round-bottomed flask (Rounded bulb)Rounded bottom flaskSoldelmikran ??? (sol = sphere, globe - refers to something rounded + delmi- from word "delmin" = dark + kran = sea - referes to the "dark bottom of the sea" or to the "bottom" in our case; and ??? - no word associations for word "flask" in vocabulary)
Flask (Stand bulb)Table flask(no associations found)
Measuring glass (Medicine glass)Medicine glass(no associations found)
Graduated cylinder (Measurement cylinder)Measunder; meacyl(no associations found)
Volumetric flask (Measurement bulb)Meabul(no associations found)
Funnel (Filler)Vi; funnel; fillionGnufilim (gn- from word "gno" = element, substance + ufilim = fall, trip - all combination refers to the fall of the substance into something)
Porcelain bowl (Porringer)Quartz bowl; small bowl(no associations found)
MortarMortarGno tiglim (gno = element, substance; and tiglim = poke, prod - all combination refers to the crushing or proding the substance, what in mortar you usually do)
PestlePestleTiglim kig (tiglim = poke, prod; and kig- singular form derived from word "kigi" = things, stuff - all combination refers to the crushing tool)
CrucibleCrucible; bleiru(no associations found)
StandMetallic base; setallic; metallic rod; base rod; fastening rodUmeg ??? (umeg = foot - refers to something basical; base; and ??? - should be another word for word "stand" or something like that)
Stand clampFastening rod's claw; fastening rod's hand; eagle's claw(no associations found)
Stand ringFastening rod's ring; metallic ring(no associations found)
Glass rods and metallic spoonsGlacial mixer; glacial branch; ice branch; about metallic spoons = let them be named as they are already(no associations found)
Small alcohol based lampAlcohol lamp; spirit-lampAlcohols fir kig (alcohols = look in THE TABULATA PERYODIQ OF SANTHARIA; fir = fire, flame and kig- singular form derived from word "kigi" = things, stuff - all combination refers to "alcohol flame" or "alcohol thing that is used to fuel fire")
« Last Edit: 13 October 2009, 04:31:15 by Lionhorse » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2009, 22:07:24 »

This looks great so far at first glance - and welcome back as well, Lionheart. 

I like the Tharian versions you've created.  How about something like 'eagle's claw' for the stand clamp - use esoteric associations, as was common in alchemy - or 'ice branch' for the glass rods?   I'll see about incorporating the necessary words into Gnomic, or inventing new needed ones, and then we can post them to the Languages Forum as well.  More in detail later...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2009, 23:12:06 »

A crucible (after doing my homework) is simply a bowl or container you can make really really hot without damaging so that you can heat materials inside for various science-y purposes. A suggestion for the gnomish would then be "does not burn" however you might translate that.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2009, 05:23:49 »

Judith, alright. I'll then wait till you do that. Maybe I can think by myself some of the new words in gnomish?  grin
Hmmm... I think that it will be nice naming for stand clamp... I'll add it to the list for later consideration. And about glacial rods... well... they are made out of glass and your variant "ice branch"... I see only one indirect association - glass is transparent as well as ice, BUT glass is not cold, but ice is. Well... anyway, I'll add your variant to the list of Tharian names as well... for later consideration.

Valan, thank you for suggestion. I'll think about that.  grin
« Last Edit: 11 October 2009, 06:24:31 by Lionhorse » Logged

Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2009, 22:20:17 »

I had some free moments to think about several new Gnomish words for some of the tools, that I have listed bellow. So, see themup and say what do you think about that?

New Gnomish words for tools:
Test-tube - Mun (Tharian - "vial")
Test-tube stand - Munfer (Tharian - "vial stand" = Mun (vial) + fer (stand))
Test-tube clamp - Munglirek (Tharian - "vial claw" = Mun (vial) + glirek (claw)); Munfilek (Tharian - "vial branch" = Mun (vial) + filek (branch))
Conical flask - Flog (Tharian - "flask")
Flask (Stand bulb) - Duberflog (Tharian - "table flask" = Duber (table) + flog (flask))
Measuring glass (Medicine glass) - Rum simars (Tharian - "medicine glass" = Rum (medicine); simars (glass))
Graduated cylinder (Measurement cylinder) - Ertumefit (Tharian - "measunder"); Ertumaril (Tharian - "meacyl")
Volumetric flask (Measurement bulb) - Ertubelgik (Tharian - "meabul")
Porcelain bowl (Porringer) - Ifin cegil (Tharian - "tiny bowl" = Ifin (tiny); cegil (bowl))
Crucible - Crubibel (Tharian - "melting bowl" = cru- from word "crugil" (melt) + bibel (bowl))
Stand clamp - Ferglirek (Tharian - "Stand claw" = Fer (stand) + glirek (claw)); Ferfilek (Tharian - "stand branch" = Fer (stand) + filek (branch))
Stand ring - Steeloitil (Tharian - "Steel ring" = Steel (look in THE TABULATA PERYODIQ OF SANTHARIA) + oitil (ring))
Glass rod - Simarsfilek (Tharian - "Glass branch" = Simars (glass) + filek (branch))
Metallic spoon - Steelsforat (Tharian - "Steel spoon" = Steel (look in THE TABULATA PERYODIQ OF SANTHARIA) + sforat (spoon))

New single Gnomish words (to complete the naming of the tool in Gnomish):
glass - simars
flask - flog
stand - fer

My edit in green;
Judith's edit in orange.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2009, 00:57:37 by Lionhorse » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2009, 22:44:46 »

Nicely constructed, Lionhorse.   They have a Gnomic feel to them, and you've done the research to put things together.  However, one thing we'd like to see happen with the gnomish tongue is to slowly tilt it towards a quasi-latinate feel - basically so that it becomes our Latin equivalent/source/etymological excuse for scholarly, academic, and scientific/alchemic words.   

Thus, thinking as a Santharian scholar:    'crucible' (Tharian) comes from the Gnomic 'crugil' - 'melt' plus the Gnomic 'bibel' - 'bowl'.  Thus 'crubibel', 'melting bowl' becomes our 'crucible', with exactly the same meaning. 

(Currently you have cergil for melt and cegil for bowl - far too close anyhow) 

Also, check your spelling.  I think we decided to disallow certain Tharian letters in the use of Gnomish spelling, but I have to go look it up again to be sure - such as 'k' for 'c' and 'z' for 's'....

Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2009, 04:25:19 »

Thanks, Judith for suggestion, but I didn't quit understood the spell check ing thing... could you explain, please? Sorry for my lack of understanding!!!  grin

Anyway... I had finished creating new fords for these tools and this is how it looks like in my variant:

Naming in real worldTharianGnomish
Test-tubeVialMun
Test-tube standVial standMunfer
Test-tube clampVial claw; vial branchMunglirec; Munfilec
Beaker (Boiling glass)Boiling glassFirnel simars
Conical flaskFlaskFlog
Round-bottomed flask (Rounded bulb)Rounded bottom flaskSoldelmicran flog
Flask (Stand bulb)Table flaskDuberflog
Measuring glass (Medicine glass)Medicine glassRum simars
Graduated cylinder (Measurement cylinder)Measunder; meacylErtumefit; ertumaril
Volumetric flask (Measurement bulb)MeabulErtubelgic
Funnel (Filler)Vi; funnel; fillionGnufilim
Porcelain bowl (Porringer)Tiny bowlIfin cegil
MortarMortarGno tiglim
PestlePestleTiglim kig
CrucibleCrucible; bleiruCrubibel
StandMetallic base; setallic; metallic rod; base rod; fastening rodUmeg fer
Stand clampFastening rod's claw; fastening rod's hand; eagle's clawFerglirec; ferfilec
Stand ringFastening rod's ring; metallic ringSteeloitil
Glass rods and metallic spoonsGlacial mixer; glacial branch; ice branch; about metallic spoons = let them be named as they are alreadySimarsfilec (glacial branch); metallic spoon
Small alcohol based lampAlcohol lamp; spirit-lampAlcohols fir kig
« Last Edit: 06 November 2009, 00:57:17 by Lionhorse » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2009, 05:04:03 »

I think what Judith is suggesting that there are some letters that aren't used in the gnomish tongue. You might have some of those letters in some of your gnomish words. So, you will need to check for the letters not used in Gnomish and make sure you don't use them in your entry.

I'm sure Judith will correct me if I'm wrong with that.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 191
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)