Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Pesky Pick-Pocketing Vine!  (Read 2693 times)
Maggie O'Shannachan

Gained Aura: 2

Rascal by name, Rascal by nature

View Profile
« on: 06 February 2009, 12:42:15 »

--Categorization--

Vines, Creepers.

--Basic Overview of the Plant--

The mischievous Pick-Pocket vine is a very peculiar and interesting plant indeed. Living up to its infamous name, the vine will endeavor to sneakily ensnare shiny or colorful objects . Although declared a common, pesky weed by most herbologists, this plant generally prefers to lurk in the comfortable shadows of the Nybelmarian jungles or the woodland of southern Sarvonia. Not renowned for being a pretty piece of flora, the Pick-Pocket plant consists of a thin wiry stem and various hand like projections of five or six leaves.

--Description--

The Pick-Pocket is a creeping vine with a stringy yet stretchy stem and multiple hand shaped leaf clusters that lie flat on the earth. Various vines will span out from a large pit like epicenter, called the “stash” or the pod. The entire plant is colored in a very bland dark green, with small speckles of brown and black on the leaves, giving it a very grubby appearance. The interesting leaf clusters consist generally of 6 leaves, One large almost circular shaped leaf surrounded by five long finger shaped leaves. The average cluster reaching around a handspan in length. These finger like projections are coated with a very thick waxy substance  nick-named “Robbers Resin” and thousands of tiny hook shaped hairs. This combination of the resin and hairs creates a resistant surface allowing the clusters to grip onto objects and trees without the use of tendrils. As the Pick-Pocket grows along the forest floor it is not limited (in terms of growth) by the height of the trees it climbs, therefore it is allowed to grow to extraordinary lengths. The average total length of a vine is a whopping 74 peds! (the longest ever recorded being 170 peds!) Every summer, a gorgeous flower will bloom out the center leaf of each cluster. Colored Black as the night, with vivid red bands flowing from the base of each petal. Turning the forest floor into a sea of striking colour! These flowers are nick-named the "Temptress's bloom" by locals , as their gorgeous facade, bewitching aroma and succulent nectar filled petals, attract animals and humans alike.

--Territory--

With the ability to obtain water and nutrients from decaying plant and animal matter, and metallic objects, the Pick-Pocket vine is capable of surviving in most shaded areas regardless of soil quality, although it seems to be at home in the shelter of the southern woodlands of Sarvonia and the jungles of Nybelmar. The largest discovered concentration of these vines was in the Almatrar forest, the dense shade cover of the Ahrhillicia pine trees gets rid of most competition, allowing this shady plant to flourish in its dark habitat. Another site where the Pick-Pocket commonly crops up is in humanoid settlements or encampments. Flocking to these places for their abundance of leftover food and man-made shiny objects. However, wise authorities will endeavor to cut back the horde of vines before they take root within the city boundary. This is becoming more and more difficult as of late, as these wily vines have began to creep into underground sewage systems, basements and cellars, wreaking havoc away from the watchful eye of the authorities.

--Usages--

Although not harmful if ingested, this vine would not make a tasty meal! It lacks any form of nutrition and tastes blander than plain water! Medically it is actually some what counter-active, as it is commonly used by bandits and thugs to hang victims, traitors and the occasional aristocrat. Although the plant itself has no real usage, the “Robbers Resin” that it produces is an important substance  for travelers, acrobats and petty thieves. Lining a porous material or fabric with the wax, enables it to become a carrier of water through the waxes waterproof properties. This is very helpful in long journeys as it will provide a lighter and cheaper alternative to lunging around a water-sack or canteen. If the resin is applied to the hands or feet however, the friction and resistance provided allows for easy traverse over smooth surfaces such as ice and glass, and with the right skills even high walls can be scaled, making escaping from guards somewhat easier...

To aid the digestion of inanimate objects, a highly corrosive chemical is secreted from nodules within the stash. Paste like in constituency this chemical has earned names "Burn-paste" and "Metal-Bane". When Metal-Bane comes in contact with a metallic or crystalline material, it reacts violently, corroding the material into a rusty powder within hours. Despite its brutality against metals, Metal-Bane is actually mild on the skin, and provides a wonderfully tangy Bitter-sour flavour if eaten. Therefore it is often found as an accompaniment to strong alcohols in taverns, and as a flavoring to sweet treats.

--Reproduction--
This vine only reproduces through runners, although it produces a mass of beautiful,  nectar filled flowers every summer. These flowers actually contain no pollen, therefore it is thought that these flowers are simply bait to lure animals and humans to their location, bringing valuable objects with them.  However, research is currently being undertaken on a spore that is omitted by the “stash” of the vine on an occasional  basis. It is believed that in times of drought this spore will “hibernate” in desolate soils, and when the conditions are right they will root, creating a new stash. Nonetheless the most common form of Pick-Pocket vine reproduction is in the way of runners. Every two years or so the vines will detach from their stash and at their most medial point they will grow roots. This usually occurs on every second turning star. The overhang of winter allows the newly formed stashes to develop without the strong competition from other plants.

--Special Abilities--

Although this vine does not have many aspects that can be put to human use, it does have an excellent barrage of talents that can aid its own existence. The most prominent being its ability to grow at an break-neck rate. The constant supply of nutrients that are produced through the rotting of plants and animals and breakdown of inanimate matter allows the Pick-Pocket vine to expand at such speed that it is easily noticeable by the naked eye. However, although the Pick-Pocket doesn't have much in the ways of competition from other species, this growing rate causes competition between plants, keeping the population in check. Surprisingly this rapid elongation has nothing to do with a conquest for water or space, but for the capture of metallic or colorful objects. It is not uncommon when camping in woodland areas for instance, to have some belongings mysteriously disappear during the night (causing alot of tension between campers in the morning.) this is due to the sneaky action of the Pick-Pocket vine. Kept at bay by fires and lanterns the vine will lurk in the shadows, but when light is extinguished, the thieving hands will creep into the encampment or settlement and pinch any objects unattended.(It is even known to rake through satchels!).  This process is shockingly well calculated, and an interesting one indeed. The first cluster will search out the glint of a shiny object, the rough finger like leaves will grasp the object, and the stretchy stem will contract to a tiny proportion of its original size, eventually dropping the object in the stash.This is usually done under the cover of leaf litter, or top soil, keeping the "loot" out of sight. Once in the pit, the object will be broken down through weather processes and the product minerals will be absorbed by the plant. It is an extreme puzzle to herbologists as how the vine distinguishes a shiny object without the use of eyes. It is thought that the circular leaf pads are sensitive to the glint of reflected light or bright colours, enabling it to track down the desired object. Although the Pick-Pockets are more partial to objects of man made origin, the vine will often settle for birds eggs, shaped or glinting pebbles, colorful feathers, fruits,nuts and metallic ores. In days of old a miner would actually find an ore deposit, by following the tell tale sign of a colony of Pick-Pocket vines.

--Myth/Lore--

There is one popular myth surrounding the history the Pick-Pocket vine...

“...Many years ago there lived a dashing young rogue by the name of Plundering Pocket-Picker Pete, a thief so skillful that it is rumored that he managed to embezzle the riches of the Santhrans court through sheer wit!However he not only thieved for the monetary value, but he also stole to upset the balance of the class system, donating much of his money to the poor...not to mention his thirst for both wine and woman! Fatally wounded through a chase with the guards of Thalambath, Pete lay on his death bed...With his final breath he swore that he did not regret anything he did in his life...Querprur was rather amused with his persona, so she took pity on his soul, and resurrected Pete into his physical self but in the form of a plant...Destined to lurk in the shadows and shades, bleeding the bourgeois of coinage for all eternity...”
« Last Edit: 09 February 2009, 04:57:32 by Maggie O'Shannachan » Logged

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with."
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2009, 16:54:56 »

Hey Maggie, that's a cool new idea!  At least for me ;)

I haven't read it very thoroughly, for I'm on the way to another entry, but in short the thoughts I had when skimming it - and some ideas how you could alter it, expand on it, if you wish. (And only then)

Ok then - first thought : shiny objects in the jungle and woods ? From where should they come? Camping parties? Do they have so many 'shiny' things lying around? What could that be, metal, glass? is that not too expensive to have it lying around , especially if I know about the vine? Or is it not this common? You write, they sneak up at human settlements as well, but would the humans not rigorously cut them back, burn them, if its abilities are too known?

We don't have evolution here, but to a certain degree I like to ask - what does this vine steal from nature? Colourful feathers? Glittering stones (ah, forgot the name I invented for muscovit and others), gold  in small rivulets? Bright coloured eggs? I mean, how many people do come in jungles.. well, in Nybelmar a lot of people live in jungles, the Sharadon has its tree-dwelling elves...  but... well

See, when I read a new concept, my ideas are carrying me away:

Why not write this plant as it is, but without the strong tendencies to capture metallic objects and then (same entry) describe a variety, which has evolved over the centuries along with the sentient races and which can be found in many inhabited places. Maybe you need to give it a nicer appearance, or better, a useful characteristic, such as a medical property, OR, as it grows so rapidly it might be used to overgrow buildings, anything you actually want to hide. Or it repells insects and so is grown around windows . Then it has much more possibilities to catch shiny objects.

Next: I didn't like much the concept of the leaves passing an object on to the stash, don't know why. Maybe an alternative would be, that the plant, once it has a grip on a shiny object, grows back to a certain amount, contracts its 'stems' or above ground roots , so that there is nothing which can be discovered too easily in the morning in a camp. Only if somebody would look closer behind the next bush he might find the villain.

You have some scientific sounding expressions (at least for me) maybe reword them to give a more medieval flavour.

'an exponential rate' : Even if the mathematicians of our time know what this is, would a normal biologist (as youself  buck) use it?

'The constant supply of nutrients that are passed down through the decay of plant, animals and inorganic matter ' - that sound like my biology book.

Inter-special competition
the object will be eroded by weathering and the product minerals will be absorbed by the plant.

this vine reproduces a-sexually

Sounds all very 'modern'

Ha, I like this, I see some ruins of an ancient village, maybe that haunted place in the Ancythrian Sea, all grown over with this plant. Oh, don't you want to give it a nice appearance once in a year (or every nowand then) and let it be covered with thousands of white flowers? Or it would fit to present Fa'av'ca'ar as well, though this is a bit far in the north.

thumbup

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Maggie O'Shannachan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2009, 23:56:01 »

Thanks alot for the pointers Talia!
That's me incorporated them in one way or another! ^_^

Miés´efér Lytherá
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2009, 02:30:31 »

I loved it, and after three reads I decided that I would have nothing changed. I will point out, however, (and very hypocritically) that we try to use English spelling here as opposed to American English. -e.g. color becomes colour- Nice job!!!! ;)

Keep Dreaming,
Mifer

"You know who the critics are? The men who have failed in literature and art." (Benjamin Disraeli)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2009, 22:18:05 »

This is becoming more and more difficult as of late, as these wily vines have began to creep into underground sewage systems, basements and cellars, wreaking havoc away from the watchful eye of the authorities.

Oh darn, that is too true!

The black flowers are great! And the hidden stealing action as well. I still think, that the passing back from leaf to leaf goes over the abilities of a plant, but well, we are here in Caelereth and maybe you show me a terran example next time you are here ;)

'inorganic' sounds very modern for me as well, but here I might be wrong, you are the native speaker.

One thing is left : I associate shiny things with metal, glass etc, which would be hard to break down through the weather only, or take too long . Maybe this plant has some acid/bas..(?) fluid somewhere to help with it? Would make it a bit dangerous to cut back as well. And this substance might be of great interest for all type of evil people - and gnomes. Just an idea.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2009, 22:22:12 »

(acid/base)(aceed/????)

Somewhere on my to do list, this one.. just need to finish the Tiquaitan for Decipher before i can start catchingnup on the mod work here..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Maggie O'Shannachan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2009, 05:00:01 »

Hmmm, see what you mean about the passing thing.....Altered! ;)

Couldn't think of many other words to replace inorganic, so i put in inanimate...do you think that sounds to modern also?

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2009, 02:10:00 »

"Non-living" maybe...or something like that?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2009, 05:56:10 »

Ah, Maggie. Another plant appears of which I find myself growing increasingly jealous.
A quick Uri for you, in Yellow

--Basic Overview of the Plant--

The mischievous Pick-Pocket vine is a very peculiar and interesting plant indeed. Living up to its infamous name, the vine will endeavor to sneakily ensnare shiny or colourful objects (English spellings!) . Although declared a common, pesky weed by most herbologists, this plant generally prefers to lurk in the comfortable shadows of the Nybelmarian jungles or the woodland of southern Sarvonia. Not renowned for being a pretty piece of flora, the Pick-Pocket plant consists of a thin wiry stem and various hand like projections of five or six leaves. which lie flat to the ground.

--Description--

The Pick-Pocket is a creeping vine with a stringy yet stretchy stem and multiple hand shaped leaf clusters that lie flat on the earth. (Perhaps soil or ground would be better here, as we shouldn't really have earth. We're a disc, remember!) Various numerous vines will span out from a large (size?) pit-like epicenter, called the “stash” or the pod. The entire plant is coloured in a very bland dark green, with small speckles of brown and black on the leaves, giving it a very grubby appearance. The interesting leaf clusters consist generally of 6 leaves, One large, almost circular shaped leaf surrounded by five long finger shaped leaves. The average cluster reaching around a handspan in length width. These finger like projections are coated with a very thick waxy substance nick-named “Robbers Resin”, and thousands of tiny hook-shaped hairs. This combination of the resin and hairs creates a resistant surface, allowing the clusters to grip onto objects and trees without the use of tendrils. As the Pick-Pocket grows along the forest floor it is not limited (in terms of growth) by the height of the trees it climbs, therefore it is allowed to grow (is capable of growing) to extraordinary lengths. The average total length of a vine is a whopping 74 peds! (the longest ever recorded being 170 peds!) Every summer, a gorgeous flower will bloom out of the center leaf of each cluster. Colored black as the night, with vivid red bands flowing from the base of each petal, turning the forest floor into a sea of striking colour! These flowers are nick-named the "Temptress's bloom" by locals , as their gorgeous facade, bewitching aroma and succulent nectar filled petals, attract animals and humans alike.

Perhaps you could give more measurements in this section, such as individual petal length, width etc? What size is the flower?

--Territory--

With the ability to obtain water and nutrients from decaying plant and animal matter, and metallic objects, (How does it obtain water from a metallic object?) the Pick-Pocket vine is capable of surviving in most shaded areas regardless of soil quality, although it seems to be at home in the shelter of the southern woodlands of Sarvonia and the jungles of Nybelmar. The largest discovered concentration of these vines was in the Almatrar forest, the dense shade cover of the Ahrhillicia pine trees gets rid prevents the growth of most competition, allowing this shady plant to flourish in its dark habitat. Another site where the Pick-Pocket commonly crops up is in humanoid settlements or encampments, where they flock for their abundance of leftover food and man-made shiny objects. (This suggests that they make a concious decision to seek them out, and are capable of 'upping sticks' and moving towards them)However, wise authorities will endeavor to cut back the horde of vines before they take root within the city boundary. This is becoming more and more difficult as of late, as these wily vines have begun to creep into underground sewage systems, basements and cellars, wreaking havoc away from the watchful eye of the authorities. Oh, don't get me started on invasive root systems. Sheesh! The things I could tell you, they'd make yer 'air curl!

--Usages--

Although not harmful if ingested, this vine would not make a tasty meal! It lacks any form of nutrition and tastes blander more bland? than plain water! Medically, it is actually some what counteractive, as it is commonly used by bandits and thugs to hang victims, traitors and the occasional aristocrat. Although the plant itself has no real usage, the “Robbers Resin” that it produces is an important substance for travelers, acrobats and petty thieves. Lining a porous material or fabric with the wax, (remove comma) enables it to become a carrier of water through the waxe's waterproof properties. This is very helpful on long journeys as it will provide a lighter and cheaper alternative to lugging around a water-sack or canteen. If the resin is applied to the hands or feet however, the friction and resistance provided allows for easy traverse over smooth surfaces such as ice and glass, and with the right skills even high walls can be scaled, making escaping from guards somewhat easier...

To aid the digestion of inanimate objects, a highly corrosive acidic? chemical is secreted from nodules within the stash. Paste-like in constituency consistency this chemical has earned the names "Burn-paste" and "Metal-Bane". (Does any particular tribe/race use these names?) When Metal-Bane comes in contact with a metallic or crystalline material, it reacts violently, corroding eating away? the material into a rusty powder within hours. Despite its brutality against metals, Metal-Bane is actually mild on the skin, and provides a wonderfully tangy bitter-sour flavour if eaten. Therefore it is often found as an accompaniment to strong alcohols in taverns, and as a flavoring to sweet treats.

The northern Orc tribes use tree sap, particularly that of coniferous trees, as a way of sticking their weapons into their hands. This helps to ensure that they don't die in battle without their sword etc, a great dishonour. Perhaps you could do a similar thing here?
Also, the small barbs on the leaves must have a use somewhere? Perhaps a single-use velcro strip? Or, an assassin could wrap a poison-coated strip of leaf around a finger, and secretly scratch the skin of his victim with it as he walked by?

--Reproduction--

This vine only reproduces through runners, although it produces a mass of beautiful,  nectar filled flowers every summer. These flowers actually contain no pollen, therefore it is thought that these flowers they are simply bait to lure animals and humans to their location, bringing valuable objects with them.  However, research is currently being undertaken on a spore that is emitted by the “stash” of the vine on an occasional basis. It is believed that in times of drought this spore will “hibernate” in desolate soils, and when the conditions are right they will root, creating a new stash. Nonetheless, the most common form of Pick-Pocket vine reproduction is in the way of runners. Every two years or so the vines will detach from their stash and at their most medial point they will grow roots. This usually occurs on every second Turning Star. The overhang of winter allows the newly formed stashes to develop without the strong competition from other plants.

--Special Abilities--

Although this vine does not have many aspects that can be put to human use, it does have an excellent barrage of talents that can aid its own existence. The most prominent being its ability to grow at a break-neck rate. The constant supply of nutrients that are produced through the rotting of plants and animals and breakdown of inanimate matter allows the Pick-Pocket vine to expand at such speed that it is easily noticeable by the naked eye. However, although the Pick-Pocket doesn't have much in the way of competition from other species, this growing rate causes competition between plants, keeping the population in check. Surprisingly this rapid elongation has nothing to do with a conquest for water or space, but for the capture of metallic or colorful objects. It is not uncommon when camping in woodland areas for instance, to have some belongings mysteriously disappear during the night (causing a(spc)lot of tension between campers in the morning.) This is due to the sneaky action of the Pick-Pocket vine. Kept at bay by fires and lanterns the vine will lurk in the shadows, but when light is extinguished, the thieving hands will creep into the encampment or settlement and pinch any objects unattended.(It is even known to rake through satchels!). This process is shockingly well calculated, and an interesting one indeed. The first cluster will search out the glint of a shiny object, the rough finger like leaves will grasp the object, and the stretchy stem will contract to a tiny proportion of its original size, eventually dropping the object in the stash.This is usually done under the cover of leaf litter, or top soil, keeping the "loot" out of sight. Once in the pit, the object will be broken down through weather processes and the product minerals will be absorbed by the plant. It is an extreme puzzle to herbologists as how the vine distinguishes a shiny object without the use of eyes. It is thought that the circular leaf pads are sensitive to the glint of reflected light or bright colours, enabling it to track down the desired object. Although the Pick-Pockets are more partial to objects of man-made origin, the vine will often settle for birds eggs, shaped or glinting pebbles, colorful feathers, fruits, nuts and metallic ores. In days of old a miner would actually find an ore deposit, (no comma) by following the tell-tale sign of a colony of Pick-Pocket vines.

--Myth/Lore--

There is one popular myth surrounding the history of the Pick-Pocket vine...

“...Many years ago there lived a dashing young rogue by the name of Plundering Pocket-Picker Pete, a thief so skillful that it is rumored that he managed to embezzle the riches of the Santhrans court through sheer wit! However he not only thieved for the monetary value, but he also stole to upset the balance of the class system, donating much of his money to the poor...not to mention his thirst for both wine and woman! Fatally wounded through a chase with the guards of Thalambath, Pete lay on his death bed...With his final breath he swore that he did not regret anything he did in his life...Querprur was rather amused with his persona, so she took pity on his soul, and resurrected Pete into his physical self but in the form of a plant...Destined to lurk in the shadows and shades, bleeding the bourgeois of coinage for all eternity...”

Ah, Pilfering Plundering Pick-pocketing Pete, the Prince of petty purse pinchers!

Very impressive, Maggie. Well done, I say!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 109
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)