Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: UPDATED Pic of Krrroa'haxpattl Monster (as seen by Turik of Barsalon)  (Read 7898 times)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2009, 10:50:08 »

If you want to distinguish the fog from the snow, try giving it a tint. Fog is really never straight grey in my experience, since grey takes on a shade of whatever is around it, grey being weird like that. Perhaps a tinge of blue?

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2009, 14:58:33 »

I like what you've done so far with that fog - really an important step in the eerieness direction - and the more the better! But that's basically Talia's call here. me like, would like to see more of it :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2009, 15:08:58 »

Yeah!

Still, let me add some more proposals.

I don't think that the fog is helping here, it just makes the monster less threatening as if it is seen clearly. It would contradict the description in the text, if Turik was so near for the fog concealed it, he would have sensed the threat and have fled in the opposite direction, so the fog don't work with the description. Fog is cool, but more in the background.

I would still like to have the water not so milky, even if chunks are floating in it, it would be clearer in the icefree parts. I like the hint of the monster emerging already, but could it be still a bit more clearly?

The mountains are distant enough now (and if not, then we say here that it is the artists way of showing it), the colours more to my liking :).

To Turik - I doubt, that anyone would still stand so close to such a monster. Maybe make him sit down/lie down between rocks and cover one leg as if he can't move from there?

I try to show you some more with adding a few things to the pic itself, but have to do this first.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2009, 15:10:50 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2009, 19:47:25 »

Ok, Turik has feet, I'm happy *grins*

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2009, 05:11:46 »

Ok, this is seven shades of messed-up. In a good way, of course. Maybe make some of the dappling on its back a little more definied. But looking very.... erm.... monstrous ;)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2009, 12:34:36 »

Art, if it is all the same to you I will go with Talia on this one, if for no better reason than the fact she created this monster.  (I have taken away the fog from the foreground.) 

Here is another try at positioning Turik.  Let me know what you think.  (We can also assume that Turik would have overexaggerated how close he came to the monster the more times he tells this story.)

I still need to mess around with the water, but it is getting late. 
« Last Edit: 20 April 2009, 12:37:23 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 21 April 2009, 02:48:08 »

Not a problem at all, Seeker! Just tried to provide some suggetions. It's important that the author of an entry sees the beast depicted that he/she described, so that's not always easy to accomplish ;) Might take a while, but if we accomplish to get it right, it should be the perfect illustration for this strange beast! Just hang on in there :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2009, 04:40:53 »

Hi Seeker.

First, the pic is fine as it is (though the water is still a bit milky ;) ) and if you are tired to do more with it, then we keep it as it is.

I would have some proposals though, feel free to take and realise them or don't . Please forgive me to have taken your work and actually tried to point out what I mean.

Turik: Now it is a bit hard to see the man, or his posture, I tried (crudely) to give him another position, where it might look as if his leg is trapped. (red)

More tentacles on the monster (blue)

What would I like to have realised most though is the longer tail as I have added it. This way it looks (at least for me), as if it is much longer and reaches in greater depth. Of course you need to draw it a bit nicer ;)

But as I said, that just a talk between two (want-to-be, at least on my side) artists ;), no need to realise it.

And thanks again for illustrating an entry for me, I should do more in this direction myself, but somehow time is scarce .

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2009, 05:20:36 »

Talia

That was actually very helpful.  I do not mind such comments when they come from the creator of the entry themself.  I would not like it if everyone sent me back my own pictures with specific changes like that, if they are not the creator.  However, I recognize everyone goes through similar critique with their written work.

I will make these changes and then will be done.  As far as the milky water.  I agree with your assessment but I am struggling with making it better.  so it may be left as is.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2009, 10:53:03 by Seeker » Logged

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 April 2009, 10:54:14 »

Here you go.  I am mentally drained on this pic.  I hope the changes suffice.

I provided a closeup of Turik and the background.  I realize Turik is not very detailed close up, so I don't really expect you to use it for anything.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2009, 11:16:20 by Seeker » Logged

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2009, 20:30:18 »

Great work, Seeker! You did Turik very nicely, he could go with his entry, but I think, he would not approve of this ;). But he  exactly looks how I always thought he would look like. :)
(Maybe we could add a paragraph of his encounter with the monster to his entry and add this pic there as well.)

I'm very content with the monster itself as well, I did not expect, that somebody could picture so well, how I had imagined it (not written down), you see, I have great difficulties to bring my grandiose mental images 'to paper' myself, it turns out always differently than I had imagined it.

The blackground is a bit too bleak to stand alone, but perhaps it can be used elsewhere.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2009, 22:45:16 »

Actually, if Seeker doesn't mind doing just a bit of alteration and cut-n-pasting the background around, you could also get a Turik picture for his character entry....

Seeker, do forgive me for 'sending back your picture' with my scribbling on it, but truly, a pic is worth a thousand words...   Just an example.   See, if you rotate him, drop the arm, and fill in a horizontal mountainscape behind him (this is a desaturated crop of Quellion's Tandala Highlands btw), you've got a great character portrait!   I really am jealous of how in such small sketchy strokes you've managed to catch so much character.  As Talia says, it looks just as we could have imagined him...

And I'm sure that background has application.  Landscapes are always much-needed - the trick is to make them interesting without a distracting focal character/beast in them.  Perhaps a kayak (or whatever the Santharian version is called) pulled up on the shore and a tangle of driftwood?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2009, 03:59:53 »

The Santharian Kayak is the Kiiahk! and the Nybelmarians have already dibsed them!

@The picture: Impressive *sigh* AS USUAL!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2009, 05:16:11 »

Cool stuff all! There's also always a possibility to reuse backgrounds, so that effort is never lost. A good backgrounds archive helps tremendously in times of need! So I'll take all those backgrounds we have on seperate layers, and archive them - I'm sure we'll have a use for them! thumbup

Also, as Judy so creatively did, we might get a Turik picture out of that if we also combine it the way Judy did - that pic is to a great degree already done :) - Nice idea! :D

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 April 2009, 14:13:22 »

OK I am guessing that took me longer than for Judith.  I need to work on my skills.  Here is a pic of Turik alone and wandering. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]