Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wisp Apparition Pic UPDATED  (Read 5558 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 18 April 2009, 07:49:05 »

Art, here you go.  Is this what you imagine the wisp to look like?  I can easily alter if you like.

Of course anyone is welcome to comment.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2009, 16:12:17 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2009, 07:54:59 »

A little bit more sparkly around the edges? Perhaps a bit of a ghostly tail? They seem a little too plain, just pale circles really.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2009, 09:36:26 »

Ah, but as 'lanterns' that lead people astray that's just about right.  We do want them to have a sense of mysteriousness as to what they are (balls of marsh gas, evil spirits, reflected starlight, traces of old magic....? )        I agree that they could have a varying bit of 'sparkle' and glow - perhaps altering the tint slightly would also add more interest - a hint of green or yellow, say - but I'd avoid any features.

Another nicely atmospheric picture, Seeker!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2009, 15:15:35 »

A general thing: Something to take into account with pictures that have a lot of dark in them is to make sure that a monitor that has a bit of a darker setting still can display the picture more or less properly. So don't make parts of the picture nearly black, just much darker. A similar thing applies to pictures where you show something with a lot of white where the picture lives from the many white nuances. If a monitor is too bright, the colour differences might get swallowed.

So here the picture might be a bit too dark in parts.

Ok, now to the wisp: There surely are some things you could try to make that wisp more interesting. Like different colours, or there are some filters/special effects in Photoshop e.g. that could do very well here, maybe if you then draw over them to iron a clearly visible special effect out a bit, or do an effect and make it only half transparent etc. Like a lense flare, or a glow, some sort of brighter, clearer core - things like that. There could also be a second half-transparent ring around these orbs perhaps.

The art would be to make such effects not very dominant, but just so that they enhance the desired result.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2009, 15:17:12 »

Cooool, you have a hand with landscapes, Seeker! Very atmospheric!

The wisps themselves are a bit too hard for me, their white colour, their opaqueness. Maybe make them a bit more transparent, and tone down the white only so slightly? Otherwise I like them as they are!

Maybe it is my Mac though which shows this pic differently to me.

Seems Art beats me to every comment today ;)

Art, Seeker has GIMP, but there are surely similar effects available.

It is not too dark for me.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2009, 15:21:57 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2009, 05:09:35 »

Very creepy, mon frere - but yes, I concur with the above. Make it fancy, play with the colors, but don't make it distracting. Maybe even have them "interacting" with somebody?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2009, 05:14:24 »

wow, you're good at lighting. shocked i've always found that really hard. i really like the simplicity of the picture, but i'd agree with Judith, maybe a teeny bit more weirditude. :P

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2009, 10:12:59 »

I had a fun time learning new things with the lens flare, glows and such.  I tried to keep the changes subtle.  I am also adding two versions.  One a bit lighter than the first.  Curious which one looks better on your monitors.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2009, 11:02:19 »

I think I prefer the darker one myself, but they both look very awesome. I've been trying to figure out how you did the actual balls, is it just the dodge tool, or what?

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2009, 11:33:34 »

Have you considered making the center a bit brighter? They seem a bit too globally transparent as they are, and their color is fairly flat throughout since the inside is the same shade as the outer edges. Increasing the brightness of the center while leaving the outsides dulled would give them a bit more 'presence' I think.

You can see an example of what I mean here. It's got the darker background but with the interior of the wisps being slightly brighter.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2009, 12:07:46 »

Fox, it was already suggested to make them more transparent.  So we will have to go with one or the other.  Maybe some more opinions on the subject will help to decide which way to go.  I am personally not attached to which way we go.

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2009, 14:19:32 »

Sorry, transparent was the wrong word I think. My main suggestion was just on a brighter center, to give a more 'light-like' feel, which I felt was missing on the first version as well.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2009, 15:10:40 »

What makes them so convincing for me is the way they light up their environment!  (jealous)   I don't care which one, darker or lighter both look good on this monitor.  And I love the balance of the three sizes in the picture...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2009, 21:12:44 »

Oh I get an illustration!

I like the pics so far. I would like to see some different colors as well. Can you perhaps tint each wisp in a slight shade of red, blue or yellow maybe?

If not, it still looks good as is.

Bravo!  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2009, 02:55:47 »

The light version looks pretty enchanting if I may say so! The dark one is also pretty cool, but the fact that the picture is more light gives it another, I think more fascinating atmosphere. Cool thing now with the circle and the "rays" emanating from the center of that floating orb!

Making the center a bit brighter as Fox suggests sounds also interesting, maybe not too bright though as in Fox's version? So that you have a rather bright "heart" in the center and that it dims out at the borders? But course that's all basically a matter of taste. Looks pretty cool, really! As Azhira said: Would be interesting to see some slightly coloured ones (wouldn't recommend too stong colours though), but that could be something interesting to try as well.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2009, 02:58:10 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]