Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kor’och fey Mologh pic  (Read 5234 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 26 April 2009, 12:28:08 »

Here is a picture for our dear friend Altario. 

A Kor’och fey Mologh (horse) mounted by a Remusian Cavalry officer patrolling the outer wall. In the background is my depiction of the bridge leading to the Western gate to Remusiat. I have copied some quotes that were instrumental in describing this picture.

"Cavalry. The Cavalry is the Remusian's only real offensive force. The cavalry uses the same barbed and banner clad spears as well as broadswords and large shields." " The main cavalry wear studded leather"

"Coat of Arms/Sign. The Remusian coat of arms consists of the skyline of the capitol of Remusiat. Above this skyline is an image of so-called Forsaken Blade - the tribe's symbol of power (in vertical position). The background can be red or black, depending on in which context the coat of arms is being displayed: When on a flag is usually red, so that the image of the Forsaken Blade does not blend in with a black background. If it is on a shield, standard, or tapestry (which are meant to be viewed at close distance), then the background is black, with a white outline between it and the sword."

" Defenses and Fortifications: Most walls in Remusian territory are simply wooden palisades (even the well sized town of Dorm-nak is protected by palisades). However, the more modern fortifications surrounding the capitol of Remusiat, are actually great works of engineering. The inner defensive line consists of the double inner walls. Both are made of stone and are 10 peds thick. The outer one leans outward at a 45 degree angle. The outer defensive line consists of trenches, earthworks, towers with ballista emplacements and a five ped thick stone wall. The only area not protected by both walls is the western gate, as it was damaged in an attack during the Fifth Orcish War. The orcish siege engineers damaged the ground surrounding the gate so greatly that it fell away into the bay. A bridge was built soon after so the gate could remain functional. The bridge and gate are still protected by the outer wall of the inner line, and all defenses of the outer line."

« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 21:26:56 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2009, 13:07:44 »

It looks like Altario! I love this picture. I think it depicts the them Rems quite well.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2009, 14:09:57 »

Seeker, you almost brought tears to this old cowboys eyes.  I absolutely adore this picture.  The face of the horse is phenomenal, exactly as I had in my mind.  The pose is perfect.  The crest of the neck is impecable, the croup is wonderful.  I love the soldier riding it.  The armour is cool.

So, now comes the critique part.  I really do not have too much to say, except for some suggestions that will keep it from becoming out of date if/when the update is done.

1./ The colours.  The Remusian colours are blue and white.  I think therefore, that the CoA and all their insignia would not make sense to be blue, as that is a Tokarian colour, bitter rivals.  The blue I want is Dhura blue, a Remusian colour from the Dhururian Snail, which I have narrowed down to 2 different colours.  Either Persian blue #1C39BB or Han Blue #5218FA.  Han Blue might stand out better against the black items like the sword.  For sure the uniform will be dyed blue.

2./  The walls.  As described in my revision, the Remusian wall is created from two types of stone, Ertimmers Blood, a red granite, and Eye of Nechya, a black granite, and they alternated the colours, giving the wall an almost checkerboard effect.  Not sure how easy that would be to incorporate.

3./  Though I'm loathe to say it, because I do love the horse so much, but maybe the coat should be a tad coarser and not quite so sleek.  The coat now looks like a summer coat of a normal horse, and Remusian horses never really lose their winter coat, because of the harsh environment.

4./  My last suggestion would be to maybe put some rubble below the bridge, from where the original wall and gate fell into the sea?  Not much, mind you, because of the angle of view, but maybe a little in the bottom left hand part of the pic.

And that is about it from me.  Did I mention I LOVE that horse?  Wow.  Great pic, Seeker.  Wonderful job. :D  +1 aura for sure on this.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2009, 20:33:09 »

Have you ever thought of tattooing as a career, Seeker? Someone with as prolific and detailed an output as yourself would doubtless find much work coming your way!

My only critique, and it is a small one at that, is that the stonework of the wall, towers and bridge look a bit 'flat' to my eyes. Perhaps some texture and shadows to the stones would help this?

Yet another picture to add to your ever-growing portfolio of Santharian masterpieces, methinks! I'm eagerly looking forward to the day that I create something which you find interesting enough to draw *sigh*.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2009, 23:14:10 »

This is a splendid picture, Seeker!  thumbup
I love the little horse (well, I'm a equinophile anyway) with it's sturdy build, muscular little body and beautiful intelligent head.  Reminds me somewhat of the RL Morgan breed. 

Perhaps the officer have a helm or head covering of some sort?  It's REALLY cold up there. Being from Northern Ontario, I know all about cold winters (I remember temperatures of -30 or -40 degrees!) and Remusiat would be colder than that in the winter. So they'd need at least a hood of some sort.  But that's about the only thing I can think of right now.

A great picture!  It's wonderful to get a few more illustrations for the northlands, and this will be usable for more than one entry, which Art will be thrilled about.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2009, 23:24:25 »

It IS a Morgan!!  You are good Alysse, I'm impressed.  I used to raise them, and that is what I based my Remusian Horse on. 

Though, from the look of things, I would say that this pic is prolly during summer.  I remember -30 and -40 too.. just last month!

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2009, 00:54:56 »

No problem Guys I can take care of these changes.  The only thing is I do not plan on changing the stonework layout.  I will change the colors and add some shadows as suggested but it may not look exactly "checkerboard".  I will think about the head covering, A helm to match his armor may work, but I want to be careful about taking too much away from the face itself. 

I just want to point out to our green friend that just a couple weeks ago I produced a fine looking female for him to oogle at.  Soon enough I will be able to finish the Warg Rider as well.  I am sure I will return to that world soon.

Nope I have never drawn for Tattoos before.  Don't know much about it in "real life". 

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2009, 01:29:19 »

I'm not sure I want to see a helm on him.  If it was a southern tribe, then maybe.  But not so much as a Remusian.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2009, 02:53:36 »

Maybe just a hood or scarf, then?  It could even be hanging down his back, so the face is clear, but he could pull it up when it gets colder.

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2009, 03:25:49 »

I see Altario has already given his comments, so these are the most important things to take care of. Though of course, as Seeker pointed out, changing the wall entirely to a completely different design would be too much of a hassle as it would change major parts of the picture. So there always needs to be some compromise.

But the overall picture looks already pretty impressive in my opinion. The major thing right now are indeed the lighting/shadow issues, because as has been said parts of the picture now look 2d instead of 3d. Here and there the amount of detail could be increased methinks, like for example at the rider's face, or the shield looks a bit uneven, so that it appears more drawn than realistic. So these are some minor details, but I'm confident that these issues can be taken care of and make the picture event better than it is now!  thumbup Cool stuff, aura point from me as well for your dedicated contributions, Seeker: +1 aura

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2009, 04:52:28 »

I have something with feet and legs :S

Anyway, my (small comment): I think it's not really natural that you see only one front leg, since that would mean the horse holds both his front legs in exactly the same position. I think the farthest leg would stand a bit to the front/back in comparison to the other one. And the back legs look... I dunno, just a tad too small to carry the weight of horse + rider, but that might be just me ;)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2009, 06:53:49 »

The way the legs are, is a developed stance that horses are taught.  The legs are intentionally placed in the same way.  And from the angle of the viewer, it would look like that.  I have seen it in many pics of horses that are being displayed.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2009, 12:08:06 »

See if that comes a little closer.  Alt, will you specifically comment on the blue that I used.  I want to make sure it looks right to you.  If something still doesn't look right, feel free to re-comment.

Also let me know what you think of the stonework.  Again specifically the colors used.  I can alter the tone on that red granite pretty easily now.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2009, 13:10:30 »

I like the blue.. it is deep, rich, velvety... looks great  thumbup

I think the red is very natural looking on the stone.  In my head, I saw it as darker... but not sure if that would look good.  The black though, could be a shade darker.

Other than that, I'm completely satisfied  :D

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2009, 16:29:11 »

First: very nice picture! I agree with Altario about the 'feel' of the blue, definitely get the sense of a deep velvety feel to it. :)

Now, a comment: the grey mortar holding the individual stones in the background masonry seems to look a little flat to me. In the original red-cloth version the darker color of the mortar mostly hid it, but now that the mortar is a fairly 'light' gray, the texture is a bit more noticeable.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]