Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dragon- suggest to make Resonance Dragon  (Read 2279 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 12 May 2009, 11:58:48 »

Hey guys,  Here is a pen and ink I did quite a long time ago.  I like it and was wondering if it would be of use in any entries.  Since this is a pen and ink it will most generally need to be "as is".  Let me know if it could be of use.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2009, 03:24:53 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2009, 12:13:05 »

Seeker. Words fail me here. Well, they don't. I'm going to be verbose here, so hold on.

I adore the detail on the scales. It looks sleek, even in the black and white. The pose is nice as well, with the whole tail wrapping around the spire. Is it meant to be like an aerie or a raised section within a cavern. It seems a little birdlike there, protecting it's eggs from on high. The eyes have the "I kill you" look that dragons seem to need, particularly this one. I feel sorry for the poor soul that had to get close enough to draw this. The dragon oozes the whole "Guarding my hoard, stay the heck away lest I eat you"(Well, eggs anyways) aura. The front legs/arms help there, but I can't help but think that it's left front leg/arm (what are those) seems to be a little scrawny. Oh well.

I like the fact that it's pen and ink. It gives it a nice contrast to all the colour on the site. You can see the poor wretch who drew it trying (quite possibly futily)  to warm his hands in the frigid peaks of some light-forsaken mountain while trying not to anger the dragon for fear of his own skin.

The eggs are a little sketchy and I have trouble seeing the edges, but I can't fault you there. The drawing is marvelous, and I hope it finds a good entry to adorn.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2009, 12:16:19 by Valan » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2009, 02:43:32 »

The picture is exceptionally cool, that's for sure, Seeker!  thumbup

The only problem of course is that it's in black & white and that we're trying not to use such pictures anymore to illustrate entries (except for maps, where the greyscale thingy has a certain charm methinks). Here and there we cheat a bit by putting something on a parchment, so that it looks much more embedded, so theoretically that could be done as well here, but it would still look somewhat displaced. There's of course the option as well to colour it digitally. The source picture seems huge enough for that. Judy did that for example with a picture Val made recently, see here. And there were a few others done that way also.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2009, 05:39:49 »

So Seeker...

Why aren't you working for a comic book company or Wizard of the Coast yet? I love that dragon pic!  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2009, 09:49:00 »

Art I understand.  And quite frankly agree with that idea.   

I will consider placing it somewhere in my queque and color it digitally.   Maybe sometime this summer.  Does anyone feel there is a specific entry this would fit in?  That would help me determine what colors I will be using.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2009, 10:08:19 »

Could I make a personal request?

I would love to see this silver/purplish. I don't know about a specific entry, but its what I see from it.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2009, 01:04:47 »

There are a few majestic dragons known to flutter about the Venlaken Enclave. If you set it agaisnt a dark background and had the dragon emanating light than it would be fitting for that when I come round to the writing of it, unless there's somewhere else it could be used more immeadiately....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2009, 03:24:21 »

I was wondering if anyone had any objection to me turning this pic into the Resonance Dragon.  I of course will be coloring the pic and making some subtle changes to match the dscription of the Resonance Dragon.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2009, 04:24:12 by Seeker » Logged

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2009, 04:20:08 »

a few majestic dragons known to flutter about
Deci, you're confusing them with butterflies again..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2009, 04:44:35 »

I've PMed Rayne, who wrote the entry, so let's hope she shows up and can give input in this regard. As she hasn't properly configured here e-mail yet in her account and I don't know if that old one still works, she might not get notified instantly. But next time she shows up she should at least see the PM.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2009, 05:03:30 »

Probably soon, as she recently posted the Drakelet entry.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2009, 08:37:42 »

In puff of paper birds, a familiar elf appears in the thread, beckoned by the webmaster of whom she is so fond. After blowing him a kiss, and giving an little wink to Miraran, she looks at the sketch, head tilted in a thoughtful, admiring gaze.

She notes the sharp horns protruding from just behind the dragon's piercing, seemingly ruthless eyes ("The eyes have the "I kill you" look that dragons seem to need, particularly this one." - Valan Nonesuch); the sharp crest on its head extending in a jagged pattern down its body; the small spikes on the bend of its wings, which curve out with bat-like precision; the rippling muscles of its shoulders and arms; and something--drool? blood?--seeping from its mouth.

She then pulls out from her pocket the Compendium (which surely could not possibly fit in the small compartment), opens it, and, with a wave of her hand, pulls the description of the Resonance Dragon out into glowing, silver letters. The letters glitter and tremble as though in sheer excitement as the dark-haired elf tucks her Compendium away. She smiles a moment at the letters, then, taking in a deep breath, blows them--

All at once, the letters form into threads which trace the shifting form of the dragon:

Their corporeal form, in any case, is without horns or spikes. Instead, clear webbing protrudes from the back of their jaw, along their back, and on the back of their legs. This webbing seems inclined to shimmer in the light, perhaps in the semblance of clear silk.

Texts lead to the conjecture that the figures of these dragons are surprisingly lean and elegant. They don’t have many of their brethren’s sharp angles.

"Everything it needed to say glistened in its large, ebony eyes. Such eyes could not have been more innocent, or wise!”

It brings to light all shadowed truth
Within the comfort of its eyes,
Which shimmer with immortal youth;
Eyes soft with all that’s sad and wise.

The wings are attached near the shoulder blades and sweep up. The material pulled over the bones that allows flight is very thin, but tends to be of the same hues as the dragon's body, not clear like the webbing of its back and jaw, though it allows some light through.

A poem written in the Age of Myth spoke of “Resonance Gems”. For centuries it had been believed to be a misspelling, but was eventually revealed to be an allusion to the jewels growing on these dragons.

The form of the dragon, though shifting in literary imagination, seems to take a rather different shape then that portrayed in the sketch. The little elf stares tenderly at the shifting dragon a few more moments, then calls back the image, the shimmering threads that once outlined its form swirling about her then vanishing...

.. along with the elf herself (poof!)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2009, 09:06:17 »

Alright, I'll take that as a no. Which is fine of course, that is why I asked.  I will tuck this little drawing away until there is a dragon in Santharia that matches its description enough , to be altered and fit.  grin

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2009, 16:22:05 »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, such a dragon has just appeared... ;)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]