Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Sengren, Kyranian Axe  (Read 7286 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2009, 18:16:47 »

Sorry if I came across as snippy in my last comment, Grendal, it wasn't meant to sound that way.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2009, 03:35:58 »

If you sounded snippy I missed that to. I just did a quick read through on the Kryanian tribe so I may have missed the noble/military thing.

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2009, 06:10:36 »

I looked at your picture of what the Sengren looked liked Dek but it is slightly wrong according to the description I gave you. Perhaps I did not make my description clear enough. Below I will try and describe it better.

Your picture of the other side of the axe,(the one with the crecent) has it connected to the main handle by a small piece of metal. That is not how the crescent part of the axe was constructed.

The picture of the crescent is all wrong. Think of the crescent as the crescent of the moon. The solid part of the crescent is part of the handle of the axe while the two points of the crescent stick out on the other side.

There is no small piece of metal connecting the crescent part of the axe. The crescent is part of the handle and the hardened tip sticks out beyond the axe itself.

The blade on the other side should be more rounded, half moon shape with a sharp edge and very thick bodied.

I wish I could send you a pic of what I envisioned, however I am very computer illiterate and I do not have a scanner.

I hope that perhaps Seeker you can imagine and draw what I have described. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how Dek is doing. So far he is doing great!
« Last Edit: 12 June 2009, 06:23:07 by Capher » Logged

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2009, 06:21:25 »

Thank you very much for this information, Capher. It is very much appreciated. I was having a lot of trouble working out exactly how the crescent part of the axe was supposed to look, and be joined to the rest of the Sengren. This helps me greatly.

I think I have integrated everyone's comments into this entry so far ... so I suppose I should set up cookies and milk to attract new revisions of it.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2009, 06:24:34 »

I edited my reply to try and help you a bit more Dek. I hope it helps.

Keep up the great work.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Grendal Thornfist
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 June 2009, 06:38:07 »

Still sounds a bit confusing to me. Ye mean like a lochaber axe kinda?

"Ahh, ye sould ha' been there m'lads. Axes were flyin', bodies were fallin', and the ale were flowin'. Aye, it were one hell of a party.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2009, 09:49:59 »

I agree, this is still unclear.  However I am intrigued.  Here are 4 examples.  Which one comes closer to what we are talking about.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2009, 09:53:11 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2009, 23:52:20 »

#4 is exactly what I envisioned. Can you imagine now what devestation that kind of axe would have on both calvary and infantry?

Unfortunately it has no defence against ranged weapons. It was meant for close bloody slash and hack combat,
« Last Edit: 13 June 2009, 00:03:37 by Capher » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2009, 19:30:28 »

I think I've integrated everyone's comments into this entry.

Just to answer those outstanding questions of Valan, Seeker and others ...

Capher suggested that Eur'Oak be used for the Sengrens used by commoners drafted into the army to use Sengrens. Hopefully, this also responds to the concern regarding the cost of mass producing the weapon in times of war.

With regards to the Sengren used by the weapon's creator, Capher suggested the pommel of it would have a precious metal of some kind, and that it would mostly be on display above the Kyranian throne. In addition, when youths were successful in the manhood ceremony, they got to carve their family and personal marks into the Sengren's handle.

I also included a bit of a myth regarding the Sengren with regards to heirs.

I welcome any further comments, and as per normal, will leave cookies and milk for anyone who stops by.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2009, 22:46:30 »

Hmmm - well, I guess Capher should know :)

My thought upon reading the description was something at once more brutal and more elegant - a simple crescent embedded in its haft, in its very design suggesting its purpose of cleaving.....  

Anyhow, I did a quick sketch to show what was in my mind's eye.  Perhaps it's not the Sengren, but it might be its primitive precursor?  Or another weapon altogether?   If anyone likes it, let me know....

p.s. Seeker, I love your design for number 1 - it looks almost as if it could become a stylized fish....something appropriate for a ducal holding on the sea, perhaps?  Halberds for the guards at a very wealthy Baveran temple?   The favored weapon of the piratical and semi-mythical Sea Snakes?  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2009, 00:28:54 »

Hmmm... I wonder if we could change that metal crescent into some type of tusk/horn, Judith, and if so, it could be a crude Ice Tribe tool/weapon.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2009, 04:19:41 »

Some mini-things:

- In the description I see an inflationary use of the word "shape", could be adjusted a bit:

This blade is in the shape of a triangle, with the top of the triangle cut off and the base bending outwards much like a standard working axe. The other blade is crafted in the shape of a crescent moon and is sharpened to a razor edge. Above the top of the axe is the tip of this crescent shaped blade, hard enough to pierce the strongest armour and to cut through flesh.

- Here's something to fix I guess:

This axe is too small to swing effectively at ground units from horseback, however it could be used as a secondary weapon against another knight if that knight's sword had been lost.

What else is there to say? That it's practically a perfect Weapons entry in every respect. There existed a lot of material on the Sengren already and that was all used now and give the weapon it's own entry, which was improved with cool stuff here and there. So it's all there, and well done!

I'd say, I give it the upload arrow then :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2009, 05:28:09 »

Both of those have now been attended to, Arti.

Thanks also to everyone who stopped by and reviewed this entry. Thanks for all the advice, encouragement, suggestions and support with this. Thanks especially needs to go to Capher for being available via PM to guide me through the process behind the scenes.

Here everyone, have some cookies. :D

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2009, 05:36:33 »

+1 aura, Thanks for being so patient and willing to incorporate ideas. I will get to the pic in a couple of weeks after my business trip.  thumbup thumbup

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2009, 14:20:56 »

I cannot wait to see it Seeker.

Dek, great job!  thumbup Thank you bringing my vision to life.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]