Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: All-Year Pie  (Read 21240 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2009, 21:20:35 »

Since Jenna can't yet give you an aura point for your check (I believe you have to have 100 posts first), I'll do the honours, Jonael!

Aura +1!

Alysse the Likely
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2009, 21:29:21 »

Since Jenna can't yet give you an aura point for your check (I believe you have to have 100 posts first), I'll do the honours, Jonael!

Aura +1!

grin Ta, it's a delightful entry, so givining feedback on it is a pleasure

Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2009, 00:25:36 »

My goodness! That's an awful lot of words.... @.@ Thankyou very much for such a detailed check, Jonael. A well deserved aura point ;) I'll get to work breaking up those behemoths of sentences straight away.

Origin/Importance
In the shires of Santharia, for hundreds of years back, hobbit wives and husbands have cooked up tasty, hearty pies filled with any excess produce of the season to feed the many hungry mouths in their ?smial?.

To clear up my random strange word, in the compendium entry on halflings, it refers to smials as being a hobbit hole home to an extended family:
Hobbits tend to make their homes in holes dug into the hills. These holes are often very large and extremely extensive, as they tend to accommodate very large families. Often times grandparents, parents, and children will all live together in one Hobbit hole. Sometimes many family clans live in an elaborate system of underground tunnels connecting one hole to another, and mere holes become more like one big mansion. Such Hobbit holes are called "smials".
I believe Tolkein used smial as the hobbit word for hobbit-hole.

Maybe I should make a real life hobbit pie and post pictures, to make everyone's mouths water more.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2009, 00:50:21 by Jenna Silverbirch » Logged

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
-William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Development schedule
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2009, 00:46:56 »

My pleasure Jenna, it's a nice entry after all (I'll finish up the read through soon)

Ah right, that's a new word for me there then.. 'smial' ^^

Aw yeah, haha, A photo of a propper pie would probably help paint it too, haha.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2009, 06:17:58 »

All in all an enjoyable read from me as well, Jenna. Just one little comment, regarding clarity ... you might be already addressing this one.

Description

All-Year pies are the embodiment of all hobbits love about food - they are hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal.

That sentence doesn't quite make sense to me. I think that the suggestion of Jonael (everything instead of all) would clear it up. I would even be inclined to include a 'that' after everything. The 'they' in the sentence almost sounds to me as though you are saying the hobbits are hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal. Maybe 'they (the pies) are hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal' or even just 'the pies are hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal' might be better?

Anyway, I hope that was of help ... and I agree, this is a great entry!

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2009, 08:33:01 »

Do make a pie, take and post a picture - not only will we all drool, I'll have a photoreference to work from to paint you a picture of this ducky little receipt....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Remaom

Gained Aura: -24

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2009, 09:52:27 »

I like this hobbit pot pie concept alot.

One small issue though, under "Origin/Importance" you don't put a single paragraph space. This makes it a bit hard to read.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2009, 10:04:59 by Remaom » Logged
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2009, 18:07:42 »

I like this hobbit pot pie concept alot.

One small issue though, under "Origin/Importance" you don't put a single paragraph space. This makes it a bit hard to read.

Aye, Jenna, along with breaking down some of your sentences, you could do the same with some of the paragraphs, considering they're quite lengthly. That's just minor touchups for the very end tho grin

Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2009, 04:58:20 »

Righty-ho...I've split up my sentences and put spaces between the paragraphs. Hope this makes everything a little less long-winded and a little easier to read  rolleyes

The 'they' in the sentence almost sounds to me as though you are saying the hobbits are hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal.

lol For some reason I found this very funny.Thanks for that heads-up, Deklitch. We can't have the orcs (no offense to Tharoc) getting ideas and baking hobbit pies with real hobbit. grin

All these positive, constructive comments I've been getting are very encouraging. Thankyou to everyone who's taken the time to read this.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2009, 05:03:14 by Jenna Silverbirch » Logged

Development schedule
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2009, 10:10:02 »

Just a brief comment about the pie ingredients:

Hobbits would be unlikely to use beef--cows are too big for them to handle as meat animals.  Sheep, pig, goat, chicken, and rabbit (tarepi or leveret) meat would probably be their main staples.  And of course one must not forget the delicious riccio, or "porkprickle" as the hobbits call it, which is a variety of hedgehog, and a favoured dish among hobbit cooks.  Riccio meat is a delicious fatty meat that tastes like pork and it would be scrumptious with a little shelfung powder (a spice derived from the Squilla fungus, which is the Santharian version of sage) For those liking spicy food, a few drops of Kragghi sap (think hot pepper sauce) or Pfepper grass could be added.

Vegetables that might be added could be weeproots(onions) tuberroots (potatoes), neeps (parsnips), carroots (carrots), peasecods (peas), among others. 

A great entry, Jenna!  Aura +1 for making my mouth water!

Alysse the Likely
Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 June 2009, 01:41:51 »

Thankyou for the aura point and helpful comments, Alysse. I foolishly didn't think to check the herbarium for santharia's edible plants... rolleyes

Development schedule
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2009, 03:14:00 »

Jenna, wait, wait, I'll go over your wonderfull pie again with more time now and post for you my half done submission about hobbit meals, then you have a better choice what to take....

(must remember to add the prickle thing meat to it..)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2009, 20:13:01 »

Name of Food or Beverage

All-Year pie. More commonly known by non-halflings simply as hobbit or halfling pie.

Overview

All-Year pie, that staple meal of any extensive hobbit family’s diet, has grown from being little more than a term referring to any pie with more than one filling, to become a culinary dish with its own conventions and customs. In its simplest form, All-Year pies are hearty, thick-crusted pies holding at least two kinds of vegetable and one kind of meat. Although originally a solely halfling dish, All-Year pie is becoming more and more popular with the humans and dwarves of central and northern Santharia.
Fish? You don‘t have to include it though 

Description

All-Year pies are the embodiment of everything that hobbits love about food - this traditional, varied dish is hearty, stodgy, delicious and a communal meal. They are of varying size, baked according to the mouths they have to feed and the fillings available, with some having a diameter of less than a palmspan, when they are intended to be taken out to the fields in a napkin as a hobbit worker’s lunch, and others, used as the centrepiece of a hobbit birthday party, stretch several peds. However, ‘true’ All-Year pies that abide by the customs of pie-craftin’, must be roughly twice the length of the main cook’s forearm.
How are these ped-sized pies baked? Is there a special oven constructed?
For many hobbits, the smell and taste of an All-Year’s conjures up images of their childhood. The rich, breadish smell of the pastry, often underlayed with the strong aroma of the meat or woody mushrooms held within, is said to create nostalgia in other races as well, which they put down to ‘something magical in those secret receipts ’. The taste is, of course, only as good as the hobbit who cooks it, but connoisseurs agree that a good All-Year’s has a crisp, flaking golden crust, with the pastry inside moist and firm, but not too chewy.

I‘m getting hungry, it is now lunchtime, but no pie in sight! 

Usages/Effects

The All-Year pie was, and remains, a staple of the hobbit family meal. It is the perfect dish to feed a large family, and is normally served as dinner and lunch several times a week in hobbit family homes. At family meals, it is normally served hot from the oven, each family member receiving a piece-size suitable to their age and appetite, and without any accompanying foodstuffs, as the pie contains so many.

Origin/Importance

In the shires of Santharia, for hundreds of years back, hobbit wives and husbands have cooked up tasty, hearty pies filled with any excess produce of the season to feed the many hungry mouths in their smial.

The origins of the name ‘All-Year Pie’ is disputed, with many old hobbit matriarchs in the Dogodan and Helmondshire areas claiming the name had been used in their family far longer than anyone else’s, sometimes with tales of varying degrees of unlikleyness to explain their claim. The Elenveran hobbits, already with cheese as their gift to the culinary world, seem less inclined to try and take ownership of All-Year pie. However, most wise hobbits with an interest in such things generally agree the name has two likely beginnings. It could reference the fact that the pies are so fat heavy, with the various oils and salts used in the pastry having a curious preserving effect on the fillings, that a well-kept pie could still be edible a year after it was baked (nonsense of course, though some pies keep for an impressive month). Or, the name's most likely origin is that hobbit cooks  would be referred to as ‘baking pies all the year’ and the name simply developed from there.

All-Year pies began as an efficient way of using up any excess produce in the harvest season, and also a means of making food stretch further in winter or any other time of hardship. As All-Year pie began to develop as a dish in its own right, not simply a loose term for any pie made by a hobbit, a set of unwritten customs in its preparation began to emerge. (see below for more details) Hobbit cooks, whether a hobbit mother or father cooking for their family, or a well-known chef at a tavern, all would take great pride in their pies, the aim being to make the pie as delicious and interesting as they could while still abiding by the traditions of All-Year pie making. Mothers passed their own secrets of ‘pie-craftin’’, as it became known, to their daughters, who shared it with their future husbands.
I saw you tried to avoid that gender issue, but here it makes no sense, if the mothers give it to the daughters, who share with the husbands - what will happen in the next generation? Why not something like this (please reword)
„The cook in the family, be it the father or the mother, passed the receipt down to those of their children only, who showed a passion for cooking, this way the secret seemed to be kept well...

Soon almost every important family in the shires was guarding their own family receipts with far greater rivalry and bitterness than good-natured haflings normally show. As a passing human once remarked “They’ll gladly share them pies o’ theirs with any folk, man or halfling, just to show how good they are, but if you were t’ask ‘em how they’s made- well! The glares I got were enough to raise me neck-hairs’

Pie craftin’ used to be an almost solely female occupation amongst hobbits. However, as the pies took prominence in family meals, hobbit husbands, who took as much of a role in cooking as their wives and had as much pride in the family receipts  as their wives, began to refer to their pies as All-Year pies, as did professional hobbit cooks, both male and female.

In recent times, the pie-rivalry between families has been channelled into the more civilised medium of the baking contest. While each shire has many minor, informal contests organised on the whim of any hobbit woman who mentions ‘I could fancy an All-Year’s contest…’ to her friends, the Helmondshire annual pie baking competition, held in the month of the Burning Heavens, has become legendary amongst hobbits, and more well informed, non-halfling culinary enthusiasts of Santharia. Hobbit matrons and cooks from the Dogodan and Elenveran shires travel to attend the event, bringing carts full of the best vegetables and animals ready to prepare their pies, and often carts full of their extended families as well, who set up miniature camps around the competition marquees, for the three day competition has grown into a festival of sorts, with entertainers and edible delights from miles around. The prize is a supply of rare mushrooms and barrels of the local thain’s prized beer, but the participants care far more about the respect and renown, especially from the matrons who act as judges, that winning brings.
I‘m not sure if you are telling here, that ALL hobbits come to one place, or that these festivals are held seperarely in each Shire. A all hobbit festival would be very difficult, for the distances are too great to allow the food to be kept well. (a rough estimate - around 2500 strals from Elenveran to Helmondshire) Maybe there is one such meeting every, say 7 years (Hobbits will have 7 meals, if I recall my own prioposal right) , maybe in late autumn, when it gets already cold, and they meet in the middle, the Alenian Hills (well, maybe not, maybe each Shire wants to have it). 

The Helmondshire contest has helped spread the word of All-Year pie beyond the shires. Passing travellers have taken the basic receipt  with them, modifying it to their own liking, often unheeding of the conventions of pie craftin’ which seem mystifying to an outsider. Poorer folk, and dwarves, have taken to calling any pies they fill with leftover scraps ‘halfling pies’ even thought they bare little resemblance to true hobbit pies, while wealthier Santharians can use the conventions of pie-craftin’, which to them give the dish an air of the gourmet, to cover their desire to simply bake a traditional, stodgy pie. Many humans, and occasionally elves, of a more culinary disposition, or simply those who love a good meal, travel to attend the Helmondshire baking contest to sample the pies. A few human cooks, both male and female, have recently been allowed to enter, and have taken second or third place, but have yet to win.
(I'll be saving detail on the contests themselves for another entry)

Method of Preparation

This receipt will make a pie to serve five to six  . True All-Year pies must be around twice the length of the main cook’s forearm, and baked after midday. Pie Craftin' rules about weights do not have to be exact, as many hobbits tweak the amounts slightly to create a better pie, but should be roughly followed.
Pie Craftin’ rules for pastry ingredients: The flour's weight should be three the suet weight. Suet can be replaced with a mix of butter and lard, which should be half the flour's weight, depending on what is available. The salt used should be three times pepper used. Many hobbits add their own secret oils and salts to the pastry to improve it's flavour and keeping time. Below is a standard receipit.

Ingredients for a standard pastry:
6 Mut Flour
2 Mut Beef suet
Three pinches of Salt and one of Pepper

Pepper is here in Santharia an exotic spice, Hobbits would take a variation of the pfepper grass. 

In a bowl of a suitable size, place all ingredients you desire to use. Add a small amount of water to begin, and work the fat into the flour with the tips of your finger in a rough pinching movement, as if you were running sand through your fingertips. When the water has been used up, add some more, around a ladle at a time. Some cooks replace a small amount of the water needed with egg yolk. 2-3 ladles should be enough, but it may require more or less. Go by eye, and as soon as the ingredients combine entirely and the pastry forms into a single ball of dough, firm and slightly yielding but not at all runny, stop adding liquid.

Remove a third of dough to use as the lid of the pie, leaving two-thirds for the casing. Roll them out on a floury surface as required to line your baking dish, remembering to keep the lid nice and thick. It is better to be rougher with your dough than more gentle.

Pie Craftin’ rules for filling ingredients: Main vegetable (normally tuberroots?  ) must be twice or three times the weight of the meat used. Secondary vegetables should be the same weight as the meat. Salt and pepper used for seasoning should be the same amount as used in making the pastry. At least one kind of herb must be added, of any kind or quantity. No vegetables or animal meat that has not, or cannot be grown or reared in a hobbit shire is considered suitable for making an All-Year pie.

Ingredients for a standard pie filling:
10 Mut Tuberroots
5 Mut Mutton
2 Mut Weeproots
Stock or water
Salt and Pepper see above  , same amount as used for pastry
Herbs or any other seasoning desired. Some recommended choices are the Squilla fungus or, if the meat is subsituted for porkprickle, a few drops of Kragghi sap.

I know, Alysse has proposed the Kragghi sap, but as this is a very foreign spice from the north, I doubt, that Hobbits would use it in the pie. You can invent just a new one (no need to develop it though), if you want to have something special. 

Trim off the meat’s fat (this can be used to make a delicious stock for future pies) and cut it into roughly even cubes. Slice the tuberroots into chunks of about the same size. Finely chop the weeproots.
Place all ingredients into a large, lidded casserole dish and season with salt, pepper and herbs. Add stock or water, just enough to moisten and aid the cooking. Then place the lid on your dish and cook the filling for a couple of hours in a medium-heated oven, until the ingredients have achieved a state of mushiness.

Now tip the filling into your pie casing and add the lid. Increase your oven’s heat and cook until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve however wished, although the author enjoys a heap of steaming cabbage cooked with butter to accompany her pie. However, as many hobbit children are peculiarly averse to the stuff, it may be wiser to serve it on its own, unless you want your dining-hall floor strewn with carefully discarded vegetables.

Great entry, Jenna! You caught htat atmosphere of Hobbits and their relations to their meals as I have imagined it as well! Must be true!

How long has it to be in the oven, at which temperature? Celsius please, I'm asking for an information for  myself, not the entry! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2009, 00:22:08 »

Thanks again, Talia. I'll get your suggestions integrated. I forgot to colour the first changes I made, which would have made your life easier, but it's a little late now to add colour to my changes  rolleyes
I've had a fair bit of free time recently, so I've been able to respond to comments pretty rapidly, hence all the updating.

Development schedule
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 June 2009, 00:54:21 »

Just a quick comment--Pfepper grass is the Santharian version of pepper. 

Alysse the Likely
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]