Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dai'estár: Red Giant (Moth)  (Read 2484 times)
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« on: 29 June 2009, 12:43:20 »

Overview
The Dai'estár (Red Giant), a gentle giant of the insect realm, is truly a sight to behold with its fully grown wingspan of three times its body length. It is a reclusive creature, which is the result of it being hunted for its wings and silk. Because of this, their numbers have tumbled dangerously towards extinction. If one ever catches a glimpse of these creatures, it is a story of a lifetime to tell, as they are both stunning and rare. They are quite well at home in the heart of the Sharkion Zshararath mountains, only migrating south from them to mate and feast upon a diet of fruits and berries. This is the best time to watch them, but be careful not to frighten them.

Categorisation
Animals, Large, Insects

Appearance
Being a creature of unusual size for its type, the Dai'estár is one of Nybelmar's gentle giants and rare treasures. Their bodies are short and stubby compared to their wingspan, only about a third of its overall width. A coarse fur coat covers them in alternating red and white horizontal stripes which wrap around their bodies. Two large red feather-like antennae stick out from just above their eyes near the top of their head. These antennae help to steady them in flight and serve as their sense of smell. Barely visible mouths are used to gingerly pluck small fruits and berries from bushes and trees. They have two beady black eyes which are mostly covered by the thick coarse fur, making it slightly difficult for them to see where they are going and stabilizing themselves during flight, as they are not the greatest or most graceful of fliers.

It has a total body length of any where between 1/2 to 3/4 peds, followed with a wingspan of nearly three and a half peds at its widest point.

Special Abilities
---

Territory
The Dai'estár live most of their adult life in the lower regions of the Sharkion Zshararath mountains, hiding away from civilisation and other creatures to live a fairly peaceful life. They make their homes in large caverns or high ledges at high altitudes, as their bodies have natural protection against the bitter cold. Yet, once a year during their adult life, they will migrate south to feed. This lasts for a month before they return to their northern homes, eating wild fruits and berries which scatter the landscape. It is during this feasting period they will mate and lay eggs, leaving the larvae to thrive in the warm climates.

Habitat/Behavior

Diet
During their larvae stage, the Dai'estár will feast on any type of leaves or berries, as they are both scattered and bountiful in the south. One larvae can consume the equivalent of three trees or large bushes in the course of a day's passing. They will spend the good part of six months eating as much as they possibly can of the vegetation, growing to massive proportions which the amount consumed suggests. Despite their size, they are a far cry from being carnivores and will avoid all other animals and humans.  

Mating
A common time to watch these marvelous creatures is during their mating season, observing the graceful dance they perform in the sky. To attract the females, the males will spread their wings as far as they can, showing off their width and colours to the interested eye of a mate. The brightest of reds will win a females approval. This, however, is when something unusual happens. Instead of the males fighting over the females, the females will battle one another for a chance to mate with the male. The first female to land on the back of the male, is the winner of the battle and the mating ritual may proceed.

Together, they will soar high into the sky at amazing speed. At the peak, they entwine their legs and begin the mating ritual. Once entwined, they spiral towards the ground, free falling as one. Just above the ground, the Dai'estárs separate, flying in the opposite direction from each other. When this happens, the ritual is started once again with them flying high into the sky. Each step is repeated several times before they will land and rest.

Myth/Lore/Origin

Researchers
---
« Last Edit: 23 August 2010, 17:44:41 by Telàmorí V'uoríen » Logged

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2009, 05:23:29 »

Erm...12 peds = 36 feet or 12 meters.  You realize that if this bug landed on a house or a person it could probably crush it right?
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2009, 05:25:42 »

I would personally consider a 1-2 ped butterfly giant.....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2009, 05:38:55 »

1) The length and wingspan have already been changed before you posted.

2) You are assuming it will land on anything of that sort.

3) It isn't a butterfly.

:)

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2009, 05:43:45 »

1) The length and wingspan have already been changed before you posted.

No it wasnt, both our posts are before the time your edit is registered

3) It isn't a butterfly.

In terms of flight they can be treated as the same thing....

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2009, 05:47:29 »

I think you just noticed my edit in the last few minutes, but I meant my edit I made nearly 4 hours ago now.

Please don't jump down my throat, especially when it is still very much so incomplete.

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2009, 05:51:54 »

I apologise, then  buck

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2010, 15:04:37 »

Going to bring this off the 5th page, so I can make additions easier.

heart Telá heart

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2010, 23:48:54 »

Welcome back!  wave
Jonael Tomeskrift

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2010, 06:18:50 »

Heya Tela, I'm so happy to see one of those rare 'resurrections'.. and all the way from page 5! Good going! What a gracious animal you've got in mind here. I must say I was pleasantly surprised when you chose 'red' as your base colour for this creature. Mostly people seem to want to go for blue, green, etc as their base for something 'beautiful'. Seeing some one have a shot at red looks refreshing.

Now, I see there was a bit of a rough start to the commentary on this one, so I was a bit reserved about coming out with my comments and initial ideas, but just bear in mind that these are just my thoughts and ideas in reaction to reading through the entry, not trying to chew head off here ^^

"It's size"
   I totally understand the subtle beauty of a giant moth you're trying to go for here, delicate yet impressively sized. However, I'm just having trouble justifying this in the context of a world with physical laws. A 3.5m wingspan is huge for such a frail creature, the mere strain just doesn't seem to work out in my mind. On that same note, the mountain habitat dun help that sense much either. Mountains usually have rough and hard winds rushing through them, meaning once more that a creature such as this one's structure and composition just do not fit in. Instead maybe reduce the size to something a little more 'workable' (I'm thinking ~1m wingspan?) Then their fast cruising through the mountain currents seems much more explainable, and instead of going for sheer size, work this entry a little more on their majestic colour and fine material side, making these their main attributes instead of sheer size? Just an idea,

"horizontal stripes"
   I was a little confused at this when trying to picture this gentle giant. Horizontal is a word better left to ground-bound things. Is the horizontal alignment referring to the viewing looking down on the creature from above? Are we referring to 'perpendicular to the stream-line of it's body'? Just having a bit of trouble adding this snippet of info to my visualisation, that's all ^^

"mating ritual"
   Loved this idea. The dance, the rising into the air, spiralling together and then free falling.. gorgeous. Now, here's an idea that surged through my mind on reading this part: Together with the intricate red colours, these moths rising and falling could make for some stunning visual scenery. I'll admit, when reading your description this image here came to mind:

Now, this is just an idea, but this phenomenon of the moths speeding up and down along the mountain's base could well be seen by the folk as little flares that surge from the ground during this mating season... Maybe such a concept (fire, flares, etc) could give you an idea for the myth/lore section ^^

Alright well, a beautiful idea all in all. I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress on this one, keep up the good work!

Jonael
« Last Edit: 19 August 2010, 06:53:16 by Jonael Tomeskrift » Logged

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2010, 02:05:23 »

"It's size"
   I totally understand the subtle beauty of a giant moth you're trying to go for here, delicate yet impressively sized. However, I'm just having trouble justifying this in the context of a world with physical laws. A 3.5m wingspan is huge for such a frail creature, the mere strain just doesn't seem to work out in my mind. On that same note, the mountain habitat dun help that sense much either. Mountains usually have rough and hard winds rushing through them, meaning once more that a creature such as this one's structure and composition just do not fit in. Instead maybe reduce the size to something a little more 'workable' (I'm thinking ~1m wingspan?) Then their fast cruising through the mountain currents seems much more explainable, and instead of going for sheer size, work this entry a little more on their majestic colour and fine material side, making these their main attributes instead of sheer size? Just an idea,

As for its size, remember everything will size up with it, making it a lot less fragile than you may imagine. The thickness of the wings will increase, not necessarily being paper thin, and their bodies more able to withstand their habitat. Besides, in congruence with your mating idea, the larger they are, the more easily they will be seen for such a display :p. I am also not finished with the appearance section, so many of these aspects may be addressed within the next few paragraphs.

At least entertain the idea for a while longer. It is a fantasy world, afterall.  :)

Jonael Tomeskrift

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2010, 02:28:26 »

True enough, as I said, just my ideas at this point in time ^^
Alright well if you're really behind the idea then I can totally accept that. Point well defended,

I'm really looking forward to read what comes up next on this entry Tela grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]