Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Timeline of the Early Myths  (Read 15743 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 August 2009, 18:37:16 »

Sorry for not making it clearer - it was rather late when I posted last night.

- Re "I like this concept": refers to http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,13729.msg171334.html#msg171334

- Re the part I quoted: What I meant was: Please integrate that quoted explanation into the actual timeline post. Does that make sense -or?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 04 August 2009, 18:43:08 »

Uhmm... My post at the end of the thread contains a developer's explanation to make clear where I'm heading. While the actual timeline post is meant to contain events, sorted chronologically, much more in the vein of how it eventually ends up in a history table on sight. That of course is not fully done yet, because I need to work through the F'v'cl'r events to get to what I've sketched in the concept. So this will take still a while till this is fully done.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 August 2009, 18:48:51 »

Yes, I understand that but unless we have clear pointers of this background stuff on the site those foundations tend to get lost. I mean three or four years down the line, how many people will remember that explanation let alone where to find it?

If you don't want it in the main timeline, then maybe we can start a new thread entitled something like "Essential Cosmological Information for Developers"?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 07 August 2009, 18:17:19 »

Added more Fá'áv'cál'âr stuff, basically what was in the Places entry - most of that doesn't need to change. A bunch of questions arise in that context, though, especially in relation to what happened before and what will happen afterwards. So I'm aware of these questions and need to work in further important connections. As already said, this will take several more weeks or so to get thingsn right.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 August 2009, 23:22:18 »

On that F'v'cl'r stuff, Art, I wonder about the idea that the dwarves would be subservient to the elves. I also wonder, at that early stage of their history, would they have reached the surface world and come into contact with other races yet? I think this is something that the Bard and I might have to discuss.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2009, 01:58:55 »

Yes, the exact role of various races still has to be worked out. Right now the timeline is completely centered around the elves. So I try to get that covered until the end of the War of the Chosen and the consequences this suggests. Then we'll have to go back and see where we have to branch off humans, dwarves from that semi-mythical history etc. Still quite a long way ahead!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2009, 02:11:38 »

I also wonder, at that early stage of their history, would they have reached the surface world and come into contact with other races yet?

There are so many things each person imagines differently. I always thought, that the 'area' where the tree of life stood has been the cradle of all sentient beings, who fled in all directions after the burning. So, the dwarves where there as well in my imagination - and maybe they fled not only bringing distance between the burned tree of life and them, but they went into the underground as well. (Developer's view). How this is explained in their myths, those of the elves or humans is another thing. The why of this happenings as well.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2009, 02:17:21 »

Yes, the dwarves probably are in complete denial of the Tree of Life myth. In their myths they were created by a God, and the other races probably are mere by-products. The smarty-pants version of the elves with that Tree of Life stuff probably has no place at all in dwarven mythology.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2009, 02:35:20 »

That could well be and I see no problems with this, but what about the developer's view? It might form the dwarven myth. There could be a great disaster back in time and their god showed them a safe place - under the earth, or anything similar. They could even have lost their memory that they knew the elves once, but there could be myths which would let shine such things through. But the "facts" need to be known, to form - any - myth. So that the myths of all races are very different, showing their world view and their ways of explanation, but not too contradicting. I mean, if the elven myths tell of the burning of the tree of life, there should at least be a hint in dwarven myths, that there was a disaster above earth. Even dwarves need some light and air and cannot life entirely away from the surface.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2009, 02:42:43 »

I'll take all that advice into account Talia, as I continue to work on putting the Ylossian history together. I think they will start out underground, as dwarves believe that the farther underground you go, the closer you are to the kingdom of Trum-Barol. But, as you said, I will try to include hints of other possibilities in the writing. Thanks :)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2009, 02:40:33 »

Short note: I'm on vacation next week, so in other words - I'll see to work out further details on the early myths then, mainly to get the elven point of view done first in the rough chronological outlines in rough events form . Plus I'll continue posing (and hopefully) answering several more questions that arise from all that. The crucial points need to be defined when other races need to be involved and how this happens from their perspectives. I hope that I can also get to preparing the templates for the history tables that should at some point feature religious icons, and how to edit this in properly - so enough important stuff that needs to be done, which needs to have absolute priority at the moment.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 14 August 2009, 22:59:07 »

I'm adding now another section to the history menu called "Mythical Timelines", which comprises entries on all myths known to date. Or at least this section will contain that at some point. Mythical timelines can be defined as timelines for events that predate any detailed historical accounts, and aside from the different racial versions there might be separate entries within races/tribes, e.g. for the "Crpa'dosa" (elven myths of the beginnings) and the "Mne'tka" (Rise and Fall of F'v'cl'r until the War of the Chosen).

The early mythical timelines perhaps won't be included at all anymore in the continent histories, and you will only find one general entry at the beginning of the continental histories that summarizes the various beliefs of the races. The continental histories start with first documented stuff, like F'v'cl'r, yet these events need to be written in the "continental" version and the elven version, depending what you read. Maybe we'll cross-link them as well, so that you can get directly to the other version.

I'll also prepare the usage of icons next to the event caption (right of it, no own column), as we need to be able to display multiple icons there without taking away too much space. So this seems to be the best way to do that.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 14 August 2009, 23:48:36 »

On second thought: The best place to put the belief/mythology symbols is probably below the date, right aligned just as the date. There's enough room for at least 5 icons or so and you can very easily spot by looking at that column if this is a mythical event. Icons mustn't be larger than 18 pixels or so in order not to get into the way, but other than that I guess this should look good.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 17 August 2009, 03:28:00 »

Here's just a short preview on the already formulated events of Crpa'dosan myth put into a proper history table, just to give you an idea of the progress being made so far that translates into something concrete for the site.

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 August 2009, 04:56:06 »

I like it, Art! A table like this makes it much easier to formulate a dwarven timeline (or a timeline for any of the other races), working in bits of elven events, but from a different perspective. Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]