Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Timeline of the Early Myths  (Read 15860 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 17 August 2009, 11:44:53 »

And it's beautiful, too!  I particularly like the golden frames and the inital illuminated letters (where are you getting those, and in what font?) - but where would you put the religicons, then?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #46 on: 17 August 2009, 14:52:19 »

The illuminated letters are actually graphics, not fonts as such and I got them from a site called "Luminessence & Grab", which is also mentioned in the Disclaimer/Copyright Notes. I had to remove the link ther, because obviously the site doesn't exist anymore by now. But they offered the letter set for free, and I have the letters in the original sizes and made them all smaller for the usage in the history pages. If you'd like to have them I could put them in a zip file.

The religicons will be put under the date (in this case "Unknown", and subsequently at the same spot at each event if the date is missing (which is the case in this example). Multiple icons will be lines up in that row. I'l see to finish the icon implementation and then upload an example.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 17 August 2009, 17:55:47 »

Ok, here's an updated version of the same page, now including icons, already automatically generated according to event allocations. I'e put in two random icons for now representing Viarian and Twelvern faith, and for testing purposes I've also allocated three events to the Twelvern faith, so that you see how it is displayed once we have more faiths per event.

Ah, and one more thing: I've put in the greyscale Cárpa'dosía book in the Shaping of World event, which doesn't look that bad. So I thought maybe we can recount the myths with these books, which means: Put books in there at these mythical events and replace the pages with other greyscale images. This would represent some sort of "undefined" state, something that is basically only traded through texts and stuff, marking a difference to the history entries.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 18 August 2009, 04:13:44 »

Looks good, generally.

Though I will need some time to get accustomed to Viarian used for something else than I had intended, and, frankly, do not  like it.  Why do you use that abbreviation at all and not just call it Aviarian Faith? It is not really an abbreviation to just loose one letter. And is not as clear as without, and that was a goal, wasn't it? When I skipped the 'A' it was with purpose to veil the link to the elves, slightly only though, for the gods are the same. The humans, I thought, would not necessarily see the clear relation, being used to the word.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 18 August 2009, 05:25:15 »

"Aviarian" is fine with me, though it does suggest a place to keep birds.... but if you are more comfortable with that, I have no objection.  My main desire is to see clear and informative names for the major religions.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 18 August 2009, 05:29:19 »

We could call it mayhaps "Avanian" as a slight variation, so that it is more unique?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 18 August 2009, 13:00:02 »

Works for me - anyone else have an opinion there? - then Talia could still use 'Viarian' for her own purposes, no?   

Twelvern would still, methinks, be the most natural human name for the mainstream human faith.  And did I tell you that I love 'Stonecreed'?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 18 August 2009, 14:08:48 »

Avanian would be more logical, for the elves believe in Avá mainly, not so much in the twelve.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 18 August 2009, 15:18:35 »

So we have:

Religions (in the terms used mainly by humans):

- Avanian Faith (elves)
- Twelvern Faith (humans)
- Stonecreed (dwarves)

- Could still use a word for e.g. hobbitish-belief, maybe Jenna can come up with something ;)
- Something orcish would also be good to have

As we've established a word for the 12 Gods religion now, that's pretty much settled, though it doesn't necessarily mean that the word for magic of the 12 must be identical with the word used for the Faith, so it could be something different, or derived from the main word. Something that still represents the idea rather clearly.

"Viarian" is in any case a stretch, though it could work in case it is seen as some sort of twist on the elven kind of magic. Elven magic is something that happens in a natural way (for elves at least), and their faith is pretty much a given, so it's actually "Avanian Magic". Human 12 God religion could see their magic as an imitation of "Avanian Magic" and bend the name somewhat to "Viarian" based on that, but it's really not the best way to explain that I think.

If Twelvern clerics cast magic, then they also would want to call it as something that proves that their religion is the one and only, unrelated to something else that would be just a minor belief to them. It's really a stretch.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 15:23:19 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 August 2009, 20:15:03 »

- Something orcish would also be good to have

Aren't orcish beliefs called K‘ahn‘uck‘tscha?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #55 on: 19 August 2009, 02:51:07 »

Yep, we might use that word - thanks for pointing it out, Morden!

Here's an update on the now Avanian myth page, now with more events, corrections and various book images illustrating the myth on key events - let me know what you think!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2009, 00:06:46 »

Further stuff was added to the Avianian Myths history by now, as always further changes/updates have been made in prior entries as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]