Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Kaaer'dár'shín Half-Orcs - Second Tribal Rework  (Read 12881 times)
Rocelin Ellis

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2011, 20:19:24 »

Hi Azhira

While looking through this again I came up with just a few questions and some suggestions, all of which you are absolutely free to ignore if you wish.

Language:  Seeing the Kaaer'dár'shín I thought a little clarification are both Orc and Human perhaps a little clarification here might be in order.  Do they speak Kh'om'chr'om, Tharian or a mixture of both?

T'lark: The Blood Defender is made from the hide of the Tsor-Shotak lizard. According to the  entry for this amazing creature is covered with, “dark brown to black scales.”  The picture in the entry for the T’lark shows two brown examples that look as if the scales have been removed.  Is this the case and if so what than makes the leather of this animal so protective?  Also in RL when a scaly creature such as a snake or lizard has its skin is made into leather it seems to retain their scaly appearance and original color.  Does the process of preparing the hide remove the scales than and other pigmentation?

Ru'noq: Just a clarification please.  Is the blade curved towards the true or false edge?  Here in “The Swords of Caereth” may help a bit.  I have always referred to these edges in these terms and from what I have researched on this they seem to be terms used as well.  It may seem trivial I know but I am the type of person that needs to be able to visualize things better.

Here are some examples that illustrate what I am trying to ask.

So far every time I have asked about such things I have been wrong so hopefully this time I won’t be as far off.

Valan is the expert on such things so go with whatever the master says.

Again, this is such an excellent entry I hate to bring these things up but I am only wishing to be of service here.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2011, 20:34:54 »

Hi Azhira

While looking through this again I came up with just a few questions and some suggestions, all of which you are absolutely free to ignore if you wish.

Your suggestions and questions are great! You bring up things I never thought of, or neglected to give detail to.

Language:  Seeing the Kaaer'dár'shín I thought a little clarification are both Orc and Human perhaps a little clarification here might be in order.  Do they speak Kh'om'chr'om, Tharian or a mixture of both?

The Kaaer language is still a work in progress. Originally, they spoke a mix of both orcen and Kuglimz (Tharian is the human language spoken in South Sarvonia, different than the human language in the North). Since the revision includes the addition of the Antislar tribe, the languages may change further. I am no language expert, so any words I come up with are usually orcen.

T'lark: The Blood Defender is made from the hide of the Tsor-Shotak lizard. According to the  entry for this amazing creature is covered with, “dark brown to black scales.”  The picture in the entry for the T’lark shows two brown examples that look as if the scales have been removed.  Is this the case and if so what than makes the leather of this animal so protective?  Also in RL when a scaly creature such as a snake or lizard has its skin is made into leather it seems to retain their scaly appearance and original color.  Does the process of preparing the hide remove the scales than and other pigmentation?

The T'lark is supposed to keep the scales. However, there are different varieties of the shield and different ways to make them. The scales can be kept or sometimes not and doesn't affect the protectiveness of it. The leather is tough, durable and lightweight. It is a shield made for quick attacks and defenses, not for stopping a full strike of a halberd or heavy metal weapon. Seekers picture is but one of many varieties I would think.

Ru'noq: Just a clarification please.  Is the blade curved towards the true or false edge?  Here in “The Swords of Caereth” may help a bit.  I have always referred to these edges in these terms and from what I have researched on this they seem to be terms used as well.  It may seem trivial I know but I am the type of person that needs to be able to visualize things better.

The dagger is actually called the "rev'oq" and needs to be changed in the entry. Valan wrote an excellent entry on the dagger so maybe you can discern the description from that. He is the weapons expert around here, alas, it is not one of my specialties either!

Rev'oq Kaaer dagger

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2011, 20:45:50 »

The Rev'oq is shaped much like a kukri (the second picture you have there) There's an (admittedly horrible) sketch in the original Kaer'dar'shin dagger thread I could dig up, but the shape of the rev'oq can be most easily described as follows.

The blade is about two-thirds "tang" with only one third of that wrapped in leather to make a handle. After the second third, it angles off into a leaf shape at about 30-40 degrees. If you hold the blade so that the point is down (which is to say, the blade is curving towards the ground) then the edge will also be pointing towards the ground.
Bear in mind that it is made out of bone, not metal.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Rocelin Ellis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2011, 00:17:33 »

Thanks Azhira!  That clarifies things quite a bit.  Sorry about the misspelling on the Rev'oq.  I had read Valan's post regarding the spelling but failed to ensure I was using the correct one. Did not realized there was a separate, language, or at least dialect for the humans of the north.  Sorry, better do some more research.  That probably means that the human languages on other continents would be different as well.

Thanks Valan! that clears it up quite a bit.  I will hunt out your entry on this and read it.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2011, 00:42:58 »

It's important to note that there's several different languages.
The Kuglimz speak Kuglimz'seitre, the Erpheronians in Raevalem speak Tharian, the Elves Speak Styrash, the Dwarves speak Dwarven, the Ice Tribes might all have their own languages? And the orcs speak orc.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2011, 08:45:21 »

I wanna draw one of these! 

I know, I know - the spring semester has started and I haven't even been here much - but if you give me a reference picture and some details, I would be happy to sketch one of these cool knives for you Northerners....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2011, 02:10:36 »

The Entry
Valan's sketch.

Rocelin Ellis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2011, 05:09:28 »

Seeing the dagger is made of bone, is it the axe head stone with a wooden handle? I can’t see it being bone, as it would need to be more substantial as a tool and a weapon. 

The throwing knives could be wood, bone or stone I would think.

I noticed in the older entry there was a short sword mentioned.  Has that been overlooked or purposefully left out?
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2011, 05:14:21 »

The bone we're using is from a creature that isn't exactly normal.

Rocelin Ellis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2011, 07:26:35 »

lol I understand the bone for the dagger is.  My question has to do with the axe.  I take it than that it too is bone.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2011, 08:00:23 »

Not sure, but if it were to be made of bone, it wouldn't be mundane.

Rocelin Ellis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2011, 09:28:41 »

I certainly agree with that.  Just if someone were to create a CD based off of a tribal entry these are the type of questions they might need answered.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 00:29:05 by Rocelin Ellis » Logged
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2011, 20:47:05 »

Seeing the dagger is made of bone, is it the axe head stone with a wooden handle? I can’t see it being bone, as it would need to be more substantial as a tool and a weapon. 

The throwing knives could be wood, bone or stone I would think.

I noticed in the older entry there was a short sword mentioned.  Has that been overlooked or purposefully left out?

The Kaaer did not have much knowledge of metal working since ore and mining were not part of their culture (the Themed'lon is not near any mountains). Likely, axes were made of Tsor-Shotak bone (a very hard, durable material) and stone. Metal weapons were likely taken from enemies such as the orcs of the far north (the Caaehl mountain clans) who did have experience with ore and metalworking.

At the moment, there are several clans of Osther-oc living in different areas of Caaehl'heroth. Some clans close to Osthen are friendly to the Kaaer Mist Hunters. Then there are some clans that are still hostile. Not all of the orcen clans are in agreement and hold ages old hostilities. Many live along the eastern coast and plains of Eph'denn and make raids on the Kaaer. It is a complicated situation!

Of course, I am always open to new types of weapons made form different materials, magical or mundane. Something from the sea perhaps, ice weapons, maybe something similar to the caaehl rapier or something. Development never ends as new ideas are brought up.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2011, 22:45:55 »

Of course, I am always open to new types of weapons made form different materials, magical or mundane. Something from the sea perhaps, ice weapons, maybe something similar to the caaehl rapier or something. Development never ends as new ideas are brought up.
The Caeh-fish rapier is a big stick for possibly poking someone with. If you don't have a sharpened stick or blunt piece of wood to use. And you really need to poke someone. It really isn't a good weapon. You want something that you can shatter and then make pointy. I've seen a few things in D&D sourcebooks you might care for though.

Rocelin Ellis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2011, 00:43:48 »

The hawians used wood with sharks teeth as you can see in this link.

Just to get a discussion started, how about a bludgeoning weapon or something made using the teeth of the  our lizard friend?

Or something made from antlers?
Or from parts of those hideous creatures from beyond?

All seem probable especially given their status as half orc.

I've looked foolish before.  Why not do it again? rolleyes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]