Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: New Santherian Game: Legends of Santharia: Vence  (Read 14710 times)
Harver Lexton

Gained Aura: 0

For your sake... don't

View Profile
« on: 27 September 2009, 04:59:10 »

Type:

Adventure/RPG Game -- Text Based

Name:

Legends of Santharia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning on making a lot of games dealing with notable characters from the Santharian universe. The game will be a text based adventure where the character must find items and use them to complete puzzles or quests in order to advance to the next stage.

In Legends of Santheria: Vence, the character plays as an agent known as Vence. Vence was born from Sarah Numuun and Dreveer Lexton. At the age of sixteen, he began to show interest and talent in the field of marksmanship and security. By the age of twenty, he became a master of stealth.

For a few years Vence worked as a freelance agent making great achievements with his career, forcing publicity upon himself.

The game takes place in an elven castle. The introreads that, "Vence, you have proven yourself worthy of this task. However do not get over-confident! You are to retrieve the plans and leave... It was not simple. Later that night, I was in the council chambers. The plans were on the table. My black cloak swam with the surrounding darkness. I reached for the papers. The red seal glistened at me through the moonbeam. Suddenly, wild animals poured through the gates, driven by an unnatural force. The castle guard sealed the doors using lock spells... I was trapped."

The player must aid Vence in his attempt to escape the castle and give the plans to his superior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your thoughts are welcome.

Do you call yourself innocent?
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2009, 05:23:03 »

Hi Harver,

Well, what you've got here looks interesting. However, it is preferred that new developers introduce themselves in the "Newbie Forum" first before developing entries.

Here is the link for it.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2009, 05:24:36 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2009, 15:22:38 »

Hello Harver!

Though you don't state how you plan to realize it from the technical side, it sounds like a case for Santhworld, at least the engine is there to support such games. So just let us know your ideas on how you'd like to do it exactly. Oh, and "planning on making a lot of games" sounds interesting, but getting a first one done is recommended, as it takes a while to get a proper game realized - requires a lot of thought and time! ;)

Anyway, this could be interesting, even though elves don't really have "castles" as humans do, and they probably also have their own term for them - but that's what we're here for: to get things right in the Santharian context.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Harver Lexton

For your sake... don't

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2009, 17:16:12 »

Legends of Santheria: Vence

This game is being created using a text-based adventure game creator. The creator is freeware. I obtained a copy with my favourite PC magazine, PCFormat. It allows you to generate items and put them into your game so that the player can interact with them how they see fit.

What do you suggest I use instead of Elven castles. Prehaps a rival Human uprising? Yes! That could work. Vence was sent by his superior t steal their battleplans as they plan to overthrow the current human empire. Your thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

I have made some of the game last night. I don't want to spoil the surprise but if you want to know, I will tell you.

When a say "A lot of games", I mean I'm definately making sequels to this. Three at least featuring a Wizard trying to make a name fr himself as a healer (I'm reading up on deseases for that one). And for the last one I'll make a fully 3D RPG 3rd person game about a barbarian who finds himself in a cannibal's trap.

Thanks for your advice.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2009, 17:45:22 »

Sounds like some ambitious plans, Harver :) Do you know a site per chance where the creator can be downloaded or at least tell me how it is called, so that I can check it out? Always good to see how others handle things.

Anyway, I don't know how much you know about Santharia, so I don't know how much you plan to get Santharian specific stuff in, or how much this is necessary for your kind of game. Maybe you could work on the first part of the game and then let me check what you've made and then I can make more focused suggestions on what to adjust etc. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Harver Lexton

For your sake... don't

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2009, 17:57:02 »

I'm making the game with Legendary tales.
Here is the site:

http://www.legendarytales.com/downloads.php?cat_id=1

Where do I upload the first half of the game to?
Thanks,
Harver Lexton

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2009, 18:13:14 »

We've started making a game with Legendary Tales in cooperation with Humangus a while ago (I guess you're still using the old editor there as I can see), and we had to abandon that project for various reasons. I then made my own game engine (Santhworld), because we're much more flexible with that one, can use Flash graphics and stuff, and thanks to the fact that Grinch took over programming and I focused on game designing this proved way more efficient. I tried the 3 Skulls game a while ago and actually can't really say that combat is handled very well there. The old editor is still the same as it was 4 years ago or so methinks.

Anyway, I saw that Humangus tries to go into a 3d RPG Flash thingy direction now, though I don't know how far it has progressed, and I also don't know how much Humangus is actually involved in it. The graphics at this one definitely look very promising.

But yeah, just go ahead, Harver - you should be able to attach files here in the thread, or you can send me the version to webmaster@santharia.com and I'll take a look :)

Harver Lexton

For your sake... don't

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2009, 22:29:07 »

The demo version has been released. This version is for evaluation. The player must find his way to the main hall, solving various puzzles on his way. There demo ends there. If I'm given the go-ahead, the game will be completed soon.

I'm also planning on extending the game. The player will not only have to steal the battleplans, but he will also have to stop the enemy invasion.

Things are going well here...
Harver Lexton

Karlsmith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2009, 19:17:47 »

I am new to this forum and I like to encourage you by giving my wishes to develop more great games in near future ..

Good luck friends . thumbup

Burton Sable

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2010, 21:34:23 »

Hello, the idea is great,

If you are interested in making your own games, or even engines....

www.clickteam.com

check out multimedia fusion and games factory, i believe there are freeware older versions too on the site...

I have explored it a bit and it is by far the best game making engine (and user friendly) thing i have ever seen.

Adventures in Santhworld can only be text based... Games factory and multimedia fusion support animations... I am a amateur but i succeeded in creating a bomber man like game with sounds, self drawn animations and even included bosses for every 5 levels...

The ideas for engines are quite endless, multimedia fusion should even support 3d engines i believe, but that is a bit too complicated to figure out for an amateur like me.

I am fond of making my own stories, and interactive stories are even more fun.

Artimidor, you are a programmer right? Maybe you see a future including santharia with a program like that?

Oh and i also used Rpgmaker 2000, xp, vista, its a superengine for Rpg games, the only CON is that the graphics aren't fitting for Santharia...
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2010, 21:47:53 »

It's good to see people 'thinking outside the box' (Ye Gods, I hate that phrase). Perhaps if you offered your talents to Arti and Grinch with creating some scenarios, room descriptions, dialogue, characters etc that they could use within the Santhworld modules, you could gain a deeper understanding of just what makes a good Santharian game?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from creating your own games, by all means, continue with that worthy cause. But it never hurts the Brownie points by giving a hand to our beleaguered Sage and his hairy sidekick.  ;)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2010, 00:50:17 »

Well, the suggested sites/game makers seem to be a bit on the "light" side, user friendly, but also limited in their options - they also show a completely different approach, they are more action based, sprite centered, more of the "cute" kind. Making a bomber man game might be easier with those engine than to do a complex role playing game...

But if someone would like to try making a game with other engines, be my guest. Personally I stick with Santhworld, as for one we've programmed it and know how to handle it, we're constantly expanding features, and with every module or module extension we try new things and make things better. With an existing product you always hit a wall at some point if you try to do something really innovative.

So Santhworld is pretty universal and I think the way we're handling RPGs with it fits just right to a text heavy site which offers interactive opportunities to play with the content. Personally that's where I'm investing my time - and one of the future features might be to release the editor, so that everybody can make his/her own module. Making a complex game isn't easy (as the additions to the Nepris module show) but Santhworld has a lot of the things I think are necessary to make something really great.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2010, 01:10:38 »

Art- would you be amenable to the developers creating short choose-your-own-adventure type stories.  Similar to the quizzez we could provide you the narrative  for each page along with a picture that would go with each page.  Additionally each page would have 1-4 options of which would indicate which page they would jump to next.  (you know how choose-you-own-adventure works)

These type stories would allow the average developer to create Santhworld story-games without the complexities of fighting, picking up objects etc. that make the larger Nepris type projects so complex to create.  the complex ones would of course remain the gold jewel of Santhworld, but only you can really get those done.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2010, 02:09:15 »

Sure, that's all possible, all that is required is some creativity. We've got a basic engine, which is pretty flexible to handle things. If you look at the Trivia module e.g. then this has little to do with a role playing game, and still it works as if Santhworld was designed exactly for that purpose. If you look at Uninvited e.g. then Santhworld only provides the device to tell a short story the interactive way. So it all depends on how you use it creatively. So yup, all possible!

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2010, 05:18:44 »

Arti and Seeker, I'm not sure if this is how you envision a choose your own adventure style for Santharia. If I am stating the obvious, please forgive me. In my perception something very simple could be made to construct these adventures. Example following:

As your weary adventurer wanders the streets of Ximax, the driving rain obscures their vision beyond a few ped. Out of the darkness the road reveals itself into a cross-way, with a tattered wooden sign stating where each of the pathways lead. After some contemplation you've chosen that vising such a place would be beneficial to your inquiries.

1)The Gardens
2)The Temples

Is this the direction you guys would use in this style of adventure? Of course the links would lead you to other tailored entries for the needed purposes. If this is the case ... what a wonderful idea! :)
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 06:36:17 by Emváy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]