Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Disks (Kyranian Game)  (Read 6504 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 12 October 2009, 22:09:59 »

I had almost given up on developing this one, as I thought it was going to be quite difficult to do (as I didn't know the Terran version of the game.

However, the game proved to be easier than I thought, especially after I re-read the Kyranian men entry, and discovered that Garret explained the game pretty well in there.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this one ...

Additions/changes are in Yellow.

Miscellaneous > Games > Disks

Game Name: Disks
Like the game Arvins Arrows, Disks is a game created by the Kyranians. Originally played solely by off duty guards and soldiers, it spread amongst the commoners. The game requires the players to take it in turn to throw six disks in one of two cups. The player with the most points at the end of the game is named the winner. Unlike the game of Arvins Arrows, which become popular across Caelereth, Disks remains to this day a purely Kyranian game, due in part to the desire of those of Kyranian descent to keep it purely a Kyranian game and partly due to the blandness of the game to the eyes of those of other tribes.

History
The game of Disks was invented in the hay-day of the Kyranian Kingdom by soldiers and guards while they were off duty. As the soldiers and guards travelled, they spread the game, and before long the game was well known by the different branches of that tribe's military. It played a significant part in the manhood ceremonies amongst the Kyranian military. When soldiers returned to their families, the game was taught to their children who would later on return to the armies with it. In time, this game became popular amongst all classes in Kyranian culture.

After the fall of Kyrania in 806 b.S., many elements of the culture of the Kyranians continued, such as Disks and Arvins Arrows and the festivals such as the Turning Season, Manhood Ceremony and Eywing. Unlike Arvins Arrows which took on appeal all over Caelereth, Disks didn't become as popular outside the traditional borders of the ancient Kyranian kingdom. There are two primary reasons given for this phenomena. Firstly, those who lay claim to being of Kyranian descent consider this to be their game. They guard it pretty fiercely and are not happy to see others become interested in the game. While they are happy to discuss the mechanics of the game, they are not prepared to discuss the scoring used in the game. [1] It is also claimed by some not of Kyranian descent that the game of disks is 'just about as exciting as watching grass grow or listening to a Kyranian talk.' The Centoraurian who was overheard making this observation by a group of Kyranian locals learnt quickly that a group of angry Kyranian farmers armed with pitchforks could be a danger to one's health.

Today, travellers to the lands of the Province of Xaramon between the Steppe of Kruswik, city of Naios, city of Caelum, the Gap of Anaios and the Lower Fores, are hard pressed not to find the game of Disks being played in the settlements of that area by those who consider themselves to be of Kyranian descent.

Diagram
(Comes at a later date)

Equipment
Two or more players

The Playing Field is made up of two squares on the ground, which are normally between one and a half peds to two peds away from each other. These squares are formed by pieces of wood and are normally about half a seaprint in area. In the middle of each square is a metal cup, normally about half a handspan deep. These cups have a heavy nail in the center of each cup to keep them in place. Sand is poured around the cups to keep them in place. Each cup has a diameter of approximately six nailsbreadths and a depth of about half a handspan.

The Disks are circular and are slightly smaller in diameter than the cup opening. They are made of metal, relatively flat and very light. This metal is normally the unused portions of metal that were used to make weapons such as the sengren, bits of old pots and plans and off cuts from other tools made by the smiths in the region.

Game Setup
The squares are set up in an area that is large enough to accommodate the players and interested onlookers. The squares are set up at a distance of between one and a half and two peds away from each other, and have a cup nailed into them, and sand poured into them. Players need three disks each for this game.

Rules
Each player takes it in turn to toss a disk at the cup furtherest away from them.
The player stands behind one square.
The first player tosses the disk underarm at the cup in the other square.
The second player tosses the disk underarm at the other square.
This continues until each player has tossed three disks.
Points are tallied. Exactly how the points are tallied were not discussed.
The aim of the game is to be the player to have scored the most points at the end of four rounds. A round ends after each player has tossed three disks.
If either player chucks or throws the disk overarm, they suffer a penalty, which seems to be a reduction in their points.

[1] When asked about 'Disks', Calitter 'Cali' Kanemir, owner of the 'Red King Inn' in Naios was most careful not to be overheard talking about the game to one 'who wasn't a Kyranian'. In fact, he took this compendiumist into a back room of the inn to discuss the game.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2010, 03:26:30 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Aaron Silverleaf
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2009, 05:16:23 »

Interesting game. Just one comment. What are the disks made of?
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2009, 06:21:42 »

Thanks for picking that up, Aaron. I rechecked the Kyranian men entry and saw the answer to your question in there. The disks are made of metal, I've updated the entry with that detail now.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2009, 06:59:07 »

Comments in Gold

Miscellaneous > Games > Disks

Game Name: Disks If it's as old as the Kyranian Kingdom, surely someone has thought of a more imaginative name, right? Even Tossdisks sounds a little less... for lack of a better word, bland.

The game of Disks is popular among off-duty soldiers and guards from the southern region of the Santharian province of Xaramon in southern Sarvonia, home to the Kyranian Kingdom of old. It is played between two or more soldiers and consists of two squares on the ground, with a metal cup in the middle of each square. Soldiers take it in turn to toss metal disks from one square to the other square, trying to get them into the metal cup for points. Today, long after the fall of the Kyranian kingdom following its unsuccessful campaigns against the elven city of Elving, the game of Disks is played by soldiers and commoners alike in the southern regions of the province, south of the Steppe of Kruswik.
Is this an exclusive region of play, no one north of the Steppe plays Disks?
History
The game of Disks was invented in the hay-day of the Kyranian Kingdom by soldiers and guards while they were off duty. As the soldiers and guards travelled, they spread the game, and before long the game was well known by the different branches of the Kyranian military. It played a significant part in the manhood ceremonies amongst the Kyranian military. When soldiers returned to their families, the game was taught to their children who would later on return to the armies with it. In time, this game became popular amongst all classes in Kyranian culture.

After the fall of Kyrania in 806 b.S., many elements of the culture of the Kyranians continued, such as Disks and Arvins Arrows and the festivals such as the Turning Season, Manhood Ceremony and Eywing. Unlike Arvins arrows which took on appeal all over Caelereth, Disks didn't become as popular outside the traditional borders of the ancient Kyranian kingdom.Which were where exactly? A rough approximation might be nice here.

Today, whenever one travels through the lands of the Province of Xaramon south of the Steppe of Kruswik, one would be hard pressed not to find the game of Disks being played in the various cities, towns, villages and even farms of that area.

Diagram
(Comes at a later date)

Equipment
Two or more players

The Playing Field is made up of two squares Which are what, exactly? Drawn lines, bits of wooden planking? Trenches or gutters? on the ground, which are normally between one and a half peds to two peds away from each other. These squares are normally about half a seaprint in area. Into the middle of each square is a metal cup, normally about half a handspan deep. These cups have a heavy nail in the center of each cup to keep them in place. Sand is poured around the cups to keep them in place. Each cup has a diameter of approximately six nailsbreadths and a depth of about half a handspan.

The Disks are circular and are slightly smaller in diameter than the cup opening. They are made of metal, color=gold]Are we talking bits of scrap tin here? Old pots? Steel, Iron or even gods forbid, lead?[/color] relatively flat and very light. What about patterns. Is it just a flat disk? Is the edge rounded, blunt? Sharp (that could be nasty)? Is there a particular way to hold it?

Game Setup
The squares are set up in an area that is large enough to accommodate the players and interested onlookers. The squares are set up at a distance of between one and a half and two peds away from each other, and have a cup nailed into them, and sand poured into them. Players need at least six disks each. Does this mean that games can be played with more than six Disks per player?

Rules
Each player takes it in turn to toss a disk at the other cup.
The player stands behind one square.
The first player tosses the disk underarm at the other square.
The second player tosses the disk underarm at the other square.
This continues until each player has tossed a disk six times.
The points are tallied by an independent third party. A "judge" of sorts?
The aim of the game is to be the player to have scored the most points at the end of two rounds. A round ends after each player has tossed their disks six times. The points are tallied by an independent third person.
If either player chucks or throws the disk overarm, they have a point taken off them.

It seems to be short on details Dek, you've got all the bones and meat there, but it needs some skin to finish it off.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 07:03:03 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 16

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2009, 07:05:27 »

Dek, I'll see bout takin a look at this soon. Back in Vegas for a couple weeks so should have more time.

Valan, Kyranian's are simple people. Names are rather simple where they can help it. It might have other names in other areas, but in the areas there are still people of Kyranian decent and claim Kyranian ancestors, it's likely to remain just Disks.

Before you kill him, think of what you take from him.
Remember what it is to be alive.

Garret's Development Schedule
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2009, 20:18:34 »

I hear what you are saying, but 'Disks' with its gutturals and hisses tucked into one syllable doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, either.

Diskels?  Diskis?   Diskers? 

And personally I like the alternate spelling of 'Disc', but that's up to author's choice, methinks.   Still, 'Discls' or 'Discys' would look awfully cool (not to mention that last would be a perfect easteregg)......

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2009, 21:02:21 »

Disks was the way it was spelled in the Kyranian men entry. Way back when I first suggested to Garret that I might do the entry, it was requested that I keep it named that same way. (At least, that is what I understood I was asked to do).

In writing the entry, I wanted to keep this game solely to the Kyranians ... almost guarded by them as being Kyranian. I went the way of having Arvins Arrows spread across the world of Caelereth, I thought it might be nice to have this one remain as the sole custody of the Kyranians. Having said that, I am of course happy to take on the suggestions of people to increase the region in which the game is played, particularly if there is a groundswell of support for that to happen or if Garret feels it is necessary. :D
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 21:04:20 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2009, 21:10:08 »

I like the name "Diskels".   thumbup

Saying "Let's play Disks" is about as exciting as saying "Let's play ball."

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2009, 16:57:23 »

It was called Disks in the Kyranian men entry. I was asked by Garret way back when she first asked if I would like to do it that she wanted it to be called Disks. It is straight forward and to the point, much like the Kyranians themselves. Part of the reason why it is so bland is because of the Kyranians' desire to keep the game to themselves. The Kyranians have also refused to go into detail about the scoring of the game with those who do not consider themselves to be of Kyranian descent.

The game that Disks is based on ... named Horseshoes ... is one I've never heard of before. On reading through the entry on the game of Horseshoes, we have nothing similar to it in any way, shape or form here. I still don't fully understand what one attempts to achieve in Horseshoes. The closest thing I can think of is bowling, but that is a real long shot, I think, sort of like saying a spear is like a key because you hold them in your hand and stick them in something.

Sivartius
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 10

JOAT Extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2009, 00:09:33 »

If you are talking about RL horseshoes, the goal of the game is to get the horseshoes to land around a pole stuck in the ground. May people give "half points" if it is within one horseshoe length of the pole, leading to the phrase "'close' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." Each player has 3 horseshoes, and they take turns throwing. Once all horseshoes have been thrown, the players approach the "horseshoe pit", where the pole sticks out of the ground, and is surrounded by sand, and count up their points. A full horseshoe game can have 2, 5, 10 or as many rounds as has been decided beforehand. In the event of a tie, a tie-breaker round is played by the people who are tied.

"You, betrayed by Time and Space,
Born without your proper grace...
To a world befouled and base,
Feel you proper form and case,
Recognize your homeland's face.
Cross the Void of Time and Space!
Seek and Find your proper place!"
-Christopher Stasheef, "Her Majesty's Wizard"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2009, 00:10:14 »

Right, right, we'll stop nagging you about the dreadfully boring name.  Perhaps going and pestering Garret would work better?  ;) :P

The point of horseshoes is, like many another tossing game, to try to hit a target as closely as possible.  One attempts to throw the roughly crescent or U-shaped object so that it will 'ring' the stake in the centre of the sandy pit which is your focal point.    Sandbag games, even darts or shuffleboard, all share the same concept of precision targeting.   Hope that helps!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2009, 00:58:29 »

The game is actually 'Washers', or Redneck Horseshoes ... :) I'm from Texas and my dad built washer pits in our back yard gimme a break (though Rebel decided they were for digging and sleeping so they are no longer active).

I took a quick look through this last night. Hopefully in a couple days I'll be able to give better comments, just been a crappy couple days on this end as I told Dek in the IRC.

Garret

Stormraven

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2009, 03:19:19 »

As a soldiers game I think the name disks fits just fine. Soldiers like to keep things simple and easy as much as possible I know a few friends who have been over in Iraq who made makeshift horseshoe pits and actually used their boots for the game as no horseshoes were availabe. Instead of calling it horseshoes it became simply "playing a game of shoes".

Not all who Wander are Lost J.R.R. Tolkien
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2009, 15:00:40 »

There we go, another edit of it. I am still unconvinced of the need to change the name from that used in the Kyranian men entry, and particularly dislike diskel and discys.

Garret Arroway
Santh. Member

Kyranian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2010, 04:48:03 »

Looks good, my only suggestion would be 4 rounds with each player throwing 3 disks a round. Like I mentioned, we had pits for the game that inspired this one in our backyard till my hound messed them up and my and my dad would go out and just play till we got bored. With 6 disks in the pit at once, it's confusing enough keeping track of who threw what, let alone 12, if that makes any sense.

Aside from that little comment/suggestion, it looks good to go. Sorry for the delay.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]