Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Remusian Map as PDF??  (Read 11455 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 03 November 2009, 07:33:56 »

For this thread, which has too big pictures!

Alt, I fought againwith my software, but I won!

So, for now just the coloured areas. I had to take the small maps, the big monstermap was too blurry.

I did two maps, one for the rise in land, one for the downfall. I had to skip one map though, the one, where they are driven back again to nearl their old borders (Nr 3 I think).

- Do you want me to leave the sea without colour? Or I could mark the border sea/land a bit more

- More effects on the edges? Smoother? (Not too easy)

- Layers more transparent?

- anything else?
« Last Edit: 14 December 2009, 03:09:11 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2009, 07:41:09 »

Border, shadow, compass and so on I will add when finished.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2009, 07:43:55 »

Fighting migraine at the moment... will look closer later. :D

Is this going to be an animated GIF?  The premise looks good so far.   thumbup

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2009, 08:17:43 »

Not yet, I thought I do two maps first. If they are ok, I can throw all layers together (and add the missing) and try to do one. That should not be a problem, I have the functionality, but I cannot promise anything yet.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2009, 08:28:24 »

Hello Alt and Art,

I hope you will get your animated gif, Altario, but till I have mastered the next step, I thought I'll do a tribal map for you from the present day state.

I know I need the scales still and some other small things, but what should I write into the picture?

The Remusian Tribe in the year 1670?

What else, or nothing?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2009, 18:19:05 »

:D thumbup

I love it.  I don't need an anumated gif, so don't feel pressured.  If this goes on the main entry and not in a seperate history entry, then just "Present Day" ?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2009, 04:25:31 »

Some notes:

- Texts: At the new maps (e.g. Manthria) I basically use white texts instead of black ones and add a slight drop shadow to them, also a light glow effect and a mini-relief effect. Looks better than the black texts methinks.

- No problem adding your name to the map - though I'm not sure if the font is exactly the same, the one I used there is Brush 455 BT.

- If you do it all on layers, we might consider doing a Flash movie instead of a GIF. A GIF cannot be changed by pressing buttons, unless you do it via script, as is done e.g. with the Northern Sarvonia map at that entry (that script however is IE specific). So as these things should be avoided a Flash movie to switch between certain states would still be the best solution eventually.

So yeah, these are my two sans. Don't know exactly what you want to show on the map all in all, so make sure to put it all on it, that's my advice. Use different layers though to be able to use them one by one if needed ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2009, 04:50:10 »

Ah, thanks!

- Changing the text is no problem. I will have a look at the Manthria map.

- Brush 455 BT? Where do I get it? i just looked, which font resembled yours and used that.

- I do have tons of layers. One for each time, the text , vector stuff, and frame, all extra
I do not know, how a flash works though. What would you need? Each layer as a gif? I could convert it to PSD, but there could be problems with the text layers, I have read.

What I have apart from the normal layers (background etc) is for every date (8000b.S.; 2000b.S., ..) one coloured layer so far, one layer with the date, which I need to merge, if I do an animated gif.

But I need to look into this first, for there are two options I want to check out.

For the picture from above - maybe it is not needed, if we have a flash, but until then, goes all the text below the picture?

Or

Remusia in 1670 a.S.?

Should I do it smaller, it is so big, because the Remusian territory expands quite a bit and I thought, maybe Antislar has a place later as well ;)

Remusian Territories   --> for the gif/flash?
8000b.S. - 1670a.S.

Maybe I'll do a short one with just two or three dates.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2009, 05:42:24 »

- Font: It's a free font, which is downloadable here e.g.

- Flash: Well, we should approach this from the idea what we want to show in the various stages. From that it should be clear what should always be seen (like the background image), and then what should be seen on the various other states. What is added/changed at the different states should be on an own layer. Eventually. Which means that this is how I will need it once I convert things to Flash.

- Trouble with a Flash version would BTW be that the texts would need to be redone at any rate, because the Flash movie needs to be resizeable.

- Anyway, I guess a conversion could still be thought about once you've put it all together what you want to show, then one can always think about how to do it in Flash.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2009, 05:53:31 »

Have the font.

Btw, the Thergerim font is not working, the styrash is. I don't need it often, just found it out recently.

Could you please resend me the keys for the stuff server? My arcor space is nearly full and I would like to load the layers up somewhere once I'm done.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2009, 06:09:28 »

Ok, details sent!

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2009, 06:27:59 »

My next attempt:

Art, I'll tried for quite some time (at least two hours) to add the effects you applied in your Manthria map, but it didn't look good, even as I scaled the map up.

So I tried something different. Would it be possible, to have a different appearance for a totally different landscape? After all, we are not in Manthria. I can change the shadows to grey, or do them a bit more pronounced, or try a glow instead of a shadow, but would be the general layout okay? We could use it for the whole frosty North.

(Once I know how to do it, further maps would take just one evening ;) )

I did not add the  frame this time, can do it when an appearance is approved.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2009, 00:16:25 »

Well, yeah you could do it that way. Of course if the shadow of the text is not black, then all the shadows of the areas you have coloured will have different coloured shadows I assume. Could look pretty colourful then, maybe too colourful, but we'll see at further versions I guess.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 00:20:00 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2009, 00:18:54 »

We Northerners are a bit of a different bunch as it is. :)

I like the look of it, personally.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2009, 02:26:57 »

Why should the shadows have different colours if I take always the same? The text is always on top. Above this is exactly the same colour for every text piece. I could even do the same colour on the next map, just have to note down which one it was. Or look at an old map.
Above I had to adjust the distance of the shadow though, for it looked different with every size of text.

I can reduce saturation so much that they appear grey though. But I thought it would look nice to match the colour of the territory. I could do this in grey also, but then it doesn't look this nice and you used colour for tribe's distribution before also.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1099
Latest: bllaolsns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 700
(23 January 2020, 20:05:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)