Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Usage of Drake vs. Dragon  (Read 11167 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« on: 25 November 2009, 16:17:05 »

Something I have noticed and am slightly confused over is the interchangeability of Drake and Dragon people seem to use on the boards. It is possible the instances where this occur are old and out of date. Some of the main pages don't necessarily differentiate between the two, and some of the entries don't as well.

From what I can tell on the site, Drake is used to categorize between Greater and Lesser. Lesser Drakes are generally "drakes" and not "dragons", while Greater Drakes are "dragons", not "drakes". Correct? Some of the "Drakes" written, I feel should be more "Dragons", and perhaps there are some which are vice versa.

Would love to discuss this with anyone willing to pitch in, as I think this area of the creatures hasn't been touched enough. :p 

Also, I was wondering if I could possibly revisit the Gold Drake/Dragon entry while working on the Silver? It could really be fleshed out a bit and updated, as it seems fairly old.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2009, 16:32:07 by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2009, 16:32:03 »

Was not the definition, that dragons are to a more or less extent sentient, where drakes are mere beasts?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2009, 16:33:33 »

I edited my post while you posted, Talia. Very sorry.

I believe you are correct, but many of the entries don't seem to mirror this definition, hence my curiosity of the boards in general. It is just possible that many of the entries do need some updates to be in correlation with the definition.

Also, I am curious why some of the Chromatic "Drakes/Dragons" are under the Lesser, or is this simple to differentiate Santharia from other worlds? If so, this may change my approach to my entry.

Most of the Chromatics are considered sentient and semi-sentient, even though there are some which act more beast-like. And in the entries, they are given sentient characteristics, but not listed as Dragons/Great Drakes.

« Last Edit: 25 November 2009, 16:39:04 by Kalína Mërénwèn » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2009, 19:09:39 »

I think to put all of this simply: I feel the Draconic system needs a bit of reorganization.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2009, 22:37:50 »

Whew...this will be quite the job housecleaning the Draconic system...

First, I give all the respect and love to dragon developers over the years. Having said that, I think there are far too many dragons about (much like demons). We're overloaded with them!

First, the sentient vs. non-sentient is a rather grey area. Not all great drakes are sentient (the Ancythrian blade-serpent) while others are (red dragon). I also think very few dragons are sentient as most of the entries never mention it.

The categorization is also not right for some dragons. For example, I think the Spirit dragon belongs under Mythical. I think the Lindorm, Bladeserpent and Hydragon Worm should be under Monsters, not drakes.

Under Mythical, the only one I really feel belongs is the Resonance dragon. I do not like the Netherwyrm and won't use it in Osthemangar. I also think the Shapechanger dragon doesn't work well either.

At one point, I was going to help revise the dragons located in the North. I started with the Ice dragon, but Fox reminded me that she had plans to revise it, so ask her about that. I also have an undead/cursed Ice dragon in the Mists (mentioned in the entry) which Fox asked to create a full entry on (Ezzorak'laddan).

I have plans for a creature called the Spined Wyrm in the Mists, but am unsure how to classify it.

I also think the usages of Wyrm, Drake, and Dragon are confusing.

Anyway, good luck! I'll be glad to help for the Northern varieties of you wish.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2009, 23:00:57 »

Look what i found for you guys;

Morcaanan on Dragon species reorganisation.
Rakshiri/Morcaanan/Others on the species v/s individuals subject

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2009, 23:09:09 »

Pfft!

The Search function is SOOO yesterday! Who needs that?  :P

*scurries away back to her misty tower study*

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2009, 23:11:32 »

... people who'd like to KNOW about yesterday? :P

*skiddles on, humming the Beatles song*

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2009, 03:01:54 »

Thanks Mira! My lack of being on the Dev side doesn't always make it clear on what has and has not been discussed!

I will see if I can't pick up where people left off, as it seems Morc and I had the very same thought pattern.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]