Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Eight Winds Bay (Masterwork)  (Read 31151 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 23 February 2011, 10:14:39 »

Thanks for digging that up, Artimidor. :D

So Druids believe it is made naturally.

From my understanding of that snippet, the elves do as well.

So having a cult that believes in that ... a rumoured cult perhaps ... that believes in that stuff about the the chosen being trapped down there ... perhaps Gouran as well ... might be the best way of going about it.

Daughters of Gouran? Sisters of Gouran? Sisters of Destruction? Sisters of the Devourer? Daughters of Destruction? Daughters of the Devourer? Perhaps

Other suggestions?

Gagh ... I need to stop this :(

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 16 March 2011, 06:09:42 »

Still don't know how to deal with the issue around the coats of arms raised by Artimidor.

- You mention the coat of arms of the Lost Ones: "a sea blue background with three waves on it" and then the Water Druid sign "consisting of three curves depicting waves". Aren't these coat of arms rather similar?

I used the descriptions basically as they appeared in the BSE and the Blue Druids entries. And the fact that they were similar struck me as well ... so maybe, I should just mention the completed BSE coat of arms, and not the coat of arms of the two groups that formed it?

That coat of arms is at least somewhat different to the Blue Druids one ... and besides, neither of the other two coat of arms would still be in existence, would they?

Edit: The following is what I originally had in the entry for my own reference if I should need to revive any or all of it again

The Artyrhón elves are the largest group living in and around Eight Winds Bay and so their coat of arms is the one most frequently seen on the islands, shore and boats found in the bay. Their coat of arms is a combination of two older coat of arms from the two separate groups that make up the Arthyrón elves. Each of these groups were originally of the Injerin but had split away from that tribe at different points in the past. In the case of the Lost Ones, a Sect of Druids, the sea was seen as deliverer in their flight from the orcs and this featured significantly on their coat of arms - a sea blue background with three waves on it. These stylised waves represent the three islands of Eight Winds Bay.

The remainder of the Artyrhón were the Folkmore elves. They fled the destructive power of Gouran in 1649 b.S. The Folkmore saw the ship as saviour and featured strongly, with flag unfurled, in the wind. The background behind their ship was black, signifying the Year of Darkness during their flight of terror. In time, these two coats of arms were combined into the coat of arms of the Artyrhón - a silver ship, with flags unfurled, riding upon a blue ocean, consisting of three stylised waves. The sail of the ship is unfurled, and the background around the ship is black.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2011, 08:26:32 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 17 March 2011, 04:31:32 »

Don't know exactly where you found the conflicting information - but the coat of arms could be slightly tweaked e.g. where the one of the Lost Ones is mentioned, that would save some trouble. Maybe Azhira has an idea to make it more unique?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 17 March 2011, 04:42:02 »

I got it from the Blessed Sea Elves entry and the Druids entry (for the druids, scroll down to the water druids. I suggested in an earlier post that maybe the coat of arms of one of the groups could be changed slightly, suggested the Lost Ones part, and also suggested that Azhira would need to have a say in it.

5) Coat of Arms
That was something that struck me as well. There was a discussion earlier in this thread between myself, Rayne and Azhira (maybe others) about the coat of arms for the BSEs. The BSE entry just said they had two groups that formed and became one, one being the Folkmore, with the other group being unnamed, Azhira, said it could be the Lost Ones. The Coats of Arms as I described them are basically what the entries for the Lost Ones/BSEs and Blue Druids said about their coats of arms. so ... I'm happy to change ... lets say the Lost Ones one to something else ... I think that might be easier than trying to change the Blue Druids one. But Azhira would have to have some say in that, perhaps?

Is the quote from my earlier post.

So its a matter of great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ ... one of the two, I prefer the first to the second one though.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 17 March 2011, 05:49:14 »

I heard (or rather read...) my name. What about the Lost Ones? I haven't been following closely the discussions. Something I can help clear up?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 17 March 2011, 06:05:35 »

Guess it's more about the coat of arms of the Blessed Sea Elves rather than the Lost Ones, or? We have overlapping designs as it looks...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 17 March 2011, 06:30:04 »

Blessed Sea Elf (BSE) entry said the current BSE coat of arms is made up of the two coats of arms of two groups that formed the BSE. One of those groups is the Folkmore Elves, the History table for the Lost Ones said that they went to Eight Winds Bay at one stage. Back when I was initially working on that, I asked who the second group could be, and I'm sure Azhira said I could use the Lost Ones as that second group.

The following is what the BSE entry says about their current coat of arms:

The coat of arms is a single masted silver ship, its sail unfurled in the wind. It rides upon a blue ocean, with three stylized waves. The background behind the ship is black. This the combination of two older coat of arms from the seperate groups that make up the Arthyrón. One group held their ship as their saviour, while another held the sea as their deliverance, and each was used accordingly. When they became united, then the ship and sea were joined together. The three waves represent the three islands in the Eight Winds Bay, and the black background symbolized their flight during the Year of the Burning Night.]The coat of arms is a single masted silver ship, its sail unfurled in the wind. It rides upon a blue ocean, with three stylized waves. The background behind the ship is black. This the combination of two older coat of arms from the seperate groups that make up the Arthyrón. One group held their ship as their saviour, while another held the sea as their deliverance, and each was used accordingly. When they became united, then the ship and sea were joined together. The three waves represent the three islands in the Eight Winds Bay, and the black background symbolized their flight during the Year of the Burning Night.

I figured that the silver ship part with the black background was Folkmore ... and the ocean with three stylised waves was Lost Ones.

and this is what the Blue Druids says about their coat of arms:

Their sign can only really be found on ships in which they have joined on a permanent basis (or at least as permanent as a chaotic druid can be), or on trees near large lakes and rivers, and it is that of three curves depicting waves.]Their sign can only really be found on ships in which they have joined on a permanent basis (or at least as permanent as a chaotic druid can be), or on trees near large lakes and rivers, and it is that of three curves depicting waves.

So ... the similarity between them are ...
the three stylised waves from BSE and the three curves depicting waves from Blue Druids.

Edit: Here is the post I was talking about earlier.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 06:34:38 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 17 March 2011, 11:19:23 »

Well, the Lost Ones did flee the Themed'lon when the orcs began more aggressive invasions. They left behind their natural ruins and relics for the Kaaer to find centuries later.

I assume the Lost Ones did flee west and began a migration to the Eight Winds Bay. They were druids, having taken up that lifestyle after leaving the main tribe. And given that fleeing over land was not easy (an escape would have been made either south, north or east, all of which the orcs had covered). So the sea was their only chance. The Lost Ones did not have a coat of arms, but perhaps their ancestors later created one in honor of their escape. I am ok with that.

I would have to review the time line of the Lost Ones again. I have forgotten what I intended. The Injerin have had several offshoots over the years and its hard to keep track of them all!
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 11:20:54 by Azhira Styralias » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 17 March 2011, 11:28:49 »

Thank you Azhira

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 31 March 2011, 01:24:48 »

Can't check it today, have an appointment this evening, but will have another closer look tomorrow. But I assume that we should be done now, right Dek?  If you've worked yourself through the comments, we should have everything covered eh?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #130 on: 01 April 2011, 04:00:09 »

Well, Dek, I guess it's safe to say that this is it!  grin thumbup

As far as I can see what was still open was now added, things were rounded off here and there, and the entry is really as through as it can be at this point. Looks like the journey to accomplish the perfect masterwork took one and a half years, but it was well worth it, as we have everything covered and lots of comments on 9 pages led to an entry which is very rich in colour, and this doesn't only apply to the edit colours ;) Very well done, Dek!

I'll mark this now for integration and will include it in this week's update, which also makes you an official Santharian member! Guess the Forum inauguration party could be held next weekend after the update, in the meantime you can already put together details for your team page and send them to me once you have them! Congratulations on finally becoming part of the core team!  cool

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 01 April 2011, 04:51:04 »

Yay!

Thanks all for your help, advice, prodding, screaming, and so forth to get me to get this mammoth thing done.

I enjoyed (most of) the journey, and the finished product is one that I can be proud of.

I'll get that information to you right away, Arti.

Dek

Edit: Information sent.

Edit 2: Auras to all and sundry who commented on this undertaking in this thread.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2011, 03:48:19 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 01 April 2011, 10:13:27 »

Valan stumbles into the room awkwardly.
Puffs of steam emit from his joints and suddenly, Valan falls apart to reveal a small troupe of brownies with instruments, who begin singing.

"For he's a jolly good Deklitch!
For he's a jolly good Deklitch!
For he's a jolly good Dekli-tch!
Which everyone will deny!"

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 04 April 2011, 20:52:21 »

Do we have an award for "longest time to write a masterwork?" Well, we should! Dek would get the longest time and I think I would get the shortest time award...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 337
Online Ever: 562
(Yesterday at 02:54:50)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 206
Total: 206

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)