Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bracer Sword (comments welcome)  (Read 1799 times)
Stormraven

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 02 December 2009, 23:10:25 »

Overview-
As a weapon developed originally by the Nightsons of the Kasumarii, and having spread to other cultures as well, the triangular long-blade of this sword is a formidable one to say the least

Description-
This melee weapon, consisting of a triangular blade a palmspan to a palmspan and a half wide at the base, then tapering to a reinforced diamond shaped needle point, often measures at least a fore, sometimes up to a ped in length.

[color=yellowTwo bars of metal extend down the forearm to just below the elbow, over this is a curved piece of metal that covers the forearm like a bracer.[/color] The bars have a grip custom fitted to the wielder a few nailsbreadths from the base of the blade, just enough to grip it.

Often the bracer has ornate carvings added to it in life-like detail. One of the most common motifs is that of a bird of prey with its wings sweeping forward and its beak open in a cry of challenge.

Usage
This Weapon has become a favorite among the Kar-ii Nightsons in thanks to a combination of the fluidity of the fighting style and the fact that a wielder of such a weapon is difficult, if not impossible to disarm.

The use of this weapon has spread to other races and cultures as well.  

Fighting Style
The fighting technique incorporates an acrobatic style with lots of leaping weaving ducking and spinning. The blades twin razor edges allow for vicious slashes while the heavy, sharp point allows for deeply wounding stabs. One of the favored attacks with these weapons involves slashing through joints and the flesh over major blood vessels, such as the inner arm and the inner thigh. Additionally these blades can deliver a bone shearing punch-stab that will shear through anything short of full plate armor.

The weapons are worn in sheaths generally strapped to the lower leg. This allows the weapons to be drawn on the move or while tumbling past an opponent as the hilts extend above the knee for ease of grasp.

While the fighting style is fast and graceful one of the main advantages to this weapon is the fact that a wielder is nearly impossible to disarm, short of lopping off an arm above the elbow. The bracing of the weapon also allows it to deliver incredibly penetrating punch strikes, able to penetrate all but the heaviest of armors and shields.

Main Disadvantage- not as long as many swords no fancy flourishes or twist with the wrist unlike what can be done with a rapier
I know this needs fleshing out more just noting it down before I forget

Origin/History-
These weapons originated among the Kasumarii a long time ago and have since spread to other races.

The first weapons consisted of simply the blade and a leather strap for support. Later it was realized that a metal band would be useful in deflecting attacks. In fact the current basic version of the weapon has a band almost three nailsbreadth thick. Later the addition of spikes and smaller blades became common to give an additional edge in combat.

The most recent addition is the mounting of a spring powered launcher that can fire a crossbow bolt. The launcher is generally concealed in some ornate artwork sculpted from the brace of the weapons. Wolves, ravens, dragons, and cats are all common ornamentation With the concealed launcher, if there is one, firing out of the open beak or mouth.

« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 13:00:09 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Not all who Wander are Lost J.R.R. Tolkien
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2009, 06:04:29 »

Made a few alterations and additions enjoy

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2009, 13:19:12 »

We don't really "need" status updates until you're finished here Stormraven. I look forward to seeing the completed entry though.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2009, 05:12:06 »

A few comments here:

- The Overview should always contain the essential things about the topic in question, so in this case it would be important to mention that "a curved piece of metal covers the forearm like a bracer" - in order to explain the name and part of the weapons function!

- Always use British spelling in Santharian entries, we're going for a more antique style, so it's "favourite", "armour" etc.

- The paragraph about the wearing of the weapons, this one:

The weapons are worn in sheaths generally strapped to the lower leg. This allows the weapons to be drawn on the move or while tumbling past an opponent as the hilts extend above the knee for ease of grasp.

...doesn't really fit into the Fighting Style section, suggest to move it up to "Usage".

- "...incredibly penetrating punch strikes, able to penetrate..." sounds repetitive...

- "Main Disadvantage" should be written in more detail, yup.

- I'm not sure about that crossbow bolt thingy... Would there be enough room at all to construct such a thing? How would it be triggered? Would it only shoot one bolt? Is it all worth that? - This idea sounds very strange to me I admit...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2009, 12:54:45 »

I'll try not to repeat Art's comments here, but there are other things that need addressing.

Overview-
As a weapon developed originally by the Nightsons of the Kasumarii, and having spread to other cultures as well, the triangular long-blade of this sword is a formidable one to say the least
Kill the spaces here
Description-
This melee weapon,Melee weapon sounds... video game-y. It's a sword, and should probably be called such, just to make sure the point gets across properly if for no other reason. consisting of a triangular blade a palmspan to a palmspan and a half wide at the base, then tapering to a reinforced diamond shaped needle point, often measures at least a fore, sometimes up to a ped in length. A meter long sword held like that doesn't seem very practical, but they actually made katars like that, so I suppose we could let it slide. Maybe note that these longer weapons aren't as common?

Two bars of metal extend down the forearm to just below the elbow, over this is a curved piece of metal that covers the forearm like a bracer.The bars have a grip custom fitted to the wielder a few nailsbreadths from the base of the blade, just enough to grip it. You missed your colour tag in here somewhere. I've taken the liberty of removing it from this for the sake of not interrupting the paragraphs, but you'll want to fix that. Further comments, do all bracer swords use this? It seems to me that it might not be a constant.

Often the bracer has ornate carvings added to it in life-like detail. One of the most common motifs is that of a bird of prey with its wings sweeping forward and its beak open in a cry of challenge.

Usage
This weapon has become a favorite among the Kar-ii Nightsons in thanks to a combination of the fluidity of the fighting style and the fact that a wielder of such a weapon is difficult, if not impossible to disarm.

The use of this weapon has spread to other races and cultures as well.  This is a bit short for a usage section perhaps. Remember the description? Highlighted for the benefit of the reader.
Who (different from the tribe) uses the weapon, when and where? Are there certain tribes who preferable use it? Is there a tradition for this weapon? Is it used on special occasions, where in combat is it used? Is it common or seldom?

Fighting Style
The fighting technique incorporates an acrobatic style with lots of leapingcomma weaving comma ducking and spinning.It seems to me that fighting like this would be like saying "Hi, here's my back, you wouldn't mind stabbing me would you? No? Thanks!" *dies* The blades twin razor edges allow for vicious slashes while the heavy, sharp point allows for deeply wounding stabs. One of the favored attacks with these weapons involves slashing through joints and the flesh over major blood vessels Awkward phrase here, and the use of "blood vessels" is bugging me a little. Perhaps " involves slashing at important arteries and veins" I'm thinking that this particular sort of attack might be a little hard to do though. At least the thigh would be, unless you're swinging around one of those meter long swords , such as the inner arm and the inner thigh. Additionally these blades can deliver a bone shearing punch-stab that will shear through anything short of full plate armor. I have my doubts about being able to drive a katar (or a bracer sword if you prefer) through a chain shirt, or a cuirass. Especially one of the longer ones. Granted, I'm no expert, but it seems to me the function of a chain shirt was explicitly to avoid being stabbed like this?

While the fighting style is fast and graceful one of the main advantages to this weapon is the fact that a wielder is nearly impossible to disarm, short of lopping off an arm above the elbow. The bracing of the weapon also allows it to deliver incredibly penetrating punch strikes, able to penetrate all but the heaviest of armors and shields.See earlier

Main Disadvantage- not as long as many swords no fancy flourishes or twist with the wrist unlike what can be done with a rapier The flourishes with a rapier seem to me to be a cinematic thing. Sort of like spinning, ducking and weaving that you see in movies and video games. It doesn't need to look fancy, particularly if the Kar'ii like it.
I know this needs fleshing out more just noting it down before I forget

Origin/History-
These weapons originated among the Kasumarii a long time ago and have since spread to other races. How?

The first weapons consisted of simply the blade and a leather strap for support. Later it was realized that a metal band would be useful in deflecting attacks. In fact the current basic version of the weapon has a band almost three nailsbreadth thick. Later the addition of spikes and smaller blades became common to give an additional edge in combat. Who, if anyone, is credited with this innovation?

The most recent addition is the mounting of a spring powered launcher that can fire a crossbow bolt. The launcher is generally concealed in some ornate artwork sculpted from the brace of the weapons. Wolves, ravens, dragons, and cats are all common ornamentation With the concealed launcher, if there is one, firing out of the open beak or mouth. It seems to me that such an addition, (in addition to Arti's comments) would be impractical purely from an engineering standpoint. It would be hard to reload, I doubt the range would be particularly good and the ornamentation you describe might have to be fairly large, which would probably hinder the base weapon itself.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2009, 01:29:08 »

I have my doubts about being able to drive a katar (or a bracer sword if you prefer) through a chain shirt, or a cuirass. Especially one of the longer ones. Granted, I'm no expert, but it seems to me the function of a chain shirt was explicitly to avoid being stabbed like this?

Valan, chainmail was developed to protect against slashing attacks, not stabs. They did develop a smaller type of ring often referd to as "hero's mail" this had very small links to keep arrows from penetrating very deep however a blow with a stabbing weapon will rip butted mail apart and can even break through riveted mail. This was the reason that slashing weapons lost their popularity and piercing weapons like the rapier became popular.

I will try to incorporate both yours and Art's changes sometime. My computer crashed and I am having to borrow a friends

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2010, 06:00:57 »

Stormraven I hope you haven't given up on this entry.  We can always use new weapons and this one is coming along nicely.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2010, 05:18:19 »

I agree with Seeker. It would be a shame if this weapon was lost to us after such a promising start.

A couple of things I noticed:

If the wielder wears the metal bracer on his arm, why does he wear the blade on his leg? Wouldn't this make for unnecessarily difficult 'loading' of the blade in any sudden attack?
Perhaps you could swap the spring loaded bolt idea for a spring loaded blade, which is concealed along the forearm? Obviously, this idea would only work for the shorter blades. The mechanism could be triggered by a simple flexing of the forearm, or perhaps a concealed button?
It would also allow the wielder to use one of my favourite movie quotes of all time. Free cookies for the first person to tell me what it is! (HINT: You would need to practice saying it in front of a mirror before trying it out for real!) ;)

As an extra thought, perhaps you could design an alternative projectile for the bracer? How about a single-shot, do-or-die blade that fires from the bracer? You could even poison it, if you were of a mind to.

Secondly, if it is widely known (as I assume it would be) that the best defence against this weapon is to attack the upper arm of the wielder, wouldn't someone have developed a special armour defence against such an attack? Double-layered mail or a simple armour hoop around the arm would suffice.

I hope you make the effort to finish this entry, Stormraven. As Seeker says, we need more weaponry, and this one has the potential to be something special.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 580
(Yesterday at 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)