Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Invitation to All: A Holiday Party  (Read 10876 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2009, 14:30:18 »

As the elf plays, her little fingers running diligently over the strings, a small, melodious little voice suddenly comes forth to the accompaniment:

Jeyriall, Goddess true and fair
Jeyriall, I offer you this prayer
Jeyriall, Please deliver me
the one I long to see
Too long away.

Jeyriall, her eyes were full of cheer
Jeyriall, her voice true and clear
Jeyriall, I find I reminisce
About the Bard I miss
Desperately.

Jeyriall, many years have passed
Jeyriall, let her return at last
Jeyriall, it's been far too long
Since I heard her song
sing to me.

Jeyriall, the night is growing old
Jeyriall, the season's growing cold
Jeyriall, in the quiet air
I whisper this, my prayer:
Bring her home.

The little elf's voice grows silent once again, and she glances sadly out the window, wondering where Bard Judith might be.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Jeyriall

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2009, 22:44:54 »

The ether trembles to the faint vibrations of a sweet elven voice; though so small, its intensity disturbs even the soundlessness of the Void, stirring Xeua's delicate yet powerful connections.  The song continues into a place that is placeless, timeless, uncomprehensible to human minds. 

Yet should one attempt to convey its powerful beauty in human terms, one might imagine a lush garden dripping with unearthly fruits, rich with greenery that glows of its own, flowers carpeting each surface.   One might look along the moss-carpeted path to the crystalline waterfall, following the tiny lilt of elven music, to where a figure of statuesque loveliness stands, white arms bare, curving figure draped in a golden-brown brocade that seems woven of vines and braided grains.   A wreath of fruits and flowers crowns her head, which she tilts as the song's poignant refrain ceases. 

Still the echoes linger, "...Jeyriall.... cold....my prayer...home..." and the great divine eyes pool with liquid.   Full red lips lose their enigmatic smile and part, a word of power floating on their curves, ready to be released.

Then the goddess pauses, as if in regret.   She breathes out - a perfume as of ripe pear - and in again before she speaks, full bosom swelling in emotion.

Through the Void, the ecua, the xeua, the intangible stuff of the air - however they travel, they come, her words, like malise humming over spring blossoms, like the rustle of autumnal leaves in harvest, flickering along the strings of the little elf's harp so that they thrum of their own accord, forming the soft answer.

"My sweet small one.   Ah, would I could snatch your bard from her mortal preoccupations, transport her mystically to stand upon this floor, allow her to forget her human hurts and anxieties in your soothing poetry - which, indeed,"

here the Lady of the Cup pauses, a soft smile flickering by, "indeed I love to hear, with its sincerity and integrity, in My praise or imploration, as much as she has done.   Yet, My child, she is no follower of mine, and e'en she were, I could not seize her in some rough magickry, portal her hither, without her knowledge and consent."

The harp strings vibrate sweetly for a moment, the music a trickle of water over pebbles, then the words resume.  "This, though, may I do for you, for the love you bear Me.  Speak to her I shall, in the music she loves, in the lyrics of your poem, filling her heart with a yearning for this place once again."

There is a brief ripple from the harp, like divine laughter.  "It is not often a goddess will serve as messenger, even for one of our elven folk, my dear one, so you may cherish this as proof of the affection in which I do hold you!"

The music ceases with a jar and a tremble, and the firelight seems to die briefly then leap again,  perhaps only visible to the one for whom the message was intended.... and the presence of the deity fades from mortal awareness.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2009, 09:11:52 »

The little elf listens quietly as the Goddess speaks to her, and her eyes go a little glassy, staring into the flickering fire as she listens to the soft, soothing words. Her fingers pause upon her harp of light, and gradually, softly, she smiles.

"Thank you, Jeyriall," she whispers in a voice so timid and so quiet that none but the Goddess herself might hear her words. As the fire hushes and resumes, her mind fades back into the present, though her face has taken on a mystical, dream-like quality. The tinge of sadness she had felt before is assuaged, if but a little, at the promise of a message safely delivered.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2009, 10:42:18 »

As the music died down two human figures entered .  Both looked a bit travelworn as they limped into the room.  If all eyes were not on the perfomers they might have noticed that these two travelers actually had burn marks on their cloaks.  The two clasped shoulders said a few words and then parted into the room.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2009, 04:14:53 »

Artimidor found himself in the midst of the forest, sitting at the foot of a gigantic tree. He startles and looks around, discovering that he is close to the slopes of a lofty mountain, and there it is, the tavern he had been looking all day! It was just right there! And for one moment he thought that he had just heard music coming from there.

He took his cane and walked towards the building, then opened it.

There were a bunch of people already there, like Rayne, Seeker, Mira, Alysse, and not to forget the little Rookie!

"Greetings, my friends, I see half the realm has already found here!" he said, a smile on his face. "I just had a strange dream out there that Jeyriall Herself had appeared to appreciate a bardic performance by our dear Rayne. Now would you believe that? Then again, I've also dreamed that I've always been sitting right in front of the tavern and that I haven't even made a single step... Weird, eh?"

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2009, 05:13:08 »

Rayne glanced up as Artimidor walked into the tavern, and her face instantly lit up with a smile, her indigo eyes glistening happily. She stood up from where she had been sitting near the fireplace, and her harp of light dissipated into a thousand tiny lights that flickered briefly before vanishing away.

Swift as music, she rushed to him, throwing her slender elven arms about his neck. Although she was but a grown woman now, something about the sage always brought out a sort of child-like delight in the elf. She kissed his cheek and hurried to the bar to get him, and poor Seeker and Deklitch, a drink.

She slipped behind the bar and poured three drinks, then carefully handed them out to the three new arrivals. She looked at Seeker and Deklitch, and her brows furrowed in concern. With a wave of her handed, she mended (as best she could) the burn marks in their clothes, and began focusing on restoring the natural state of their car'allia, which was, for some reason, quite disordered, and had a prevalent fire influence.

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2009, 23:30:19 »

Decipher shivered and grumbled.

He was sure that he had traversed this pocket of Caelereth before but could find no sign of any shelter, let alone a party venue!

Clutching tighter the hood of his wolf-skin coat, the furs dyed a warm, woody brown, the young man scuffled through the snowy terrain somewhat aimlessly until coming across a tavern which appeared tiny to his work weary eyes, billowing with smoke, light and laughter. Spurred on by the sight of some remedy to this ridiculous cold, the somewhat melancholy fellow quicken in his set with a relieved optimism, almost skipping through the thick blankets of white that had plastered the ground, creating a rhythmic crunch as a his shiny leather boots crushed the snow underfoot.

Almost slipping with gaiety as he approached the door of the quaint little building, the Marmarran let two customary knocks collide with the door before entering to the sight of a whole manner of his colleagues. Removing his hood as he basked in the heat, revealing his healthy olive-skin face, somewhat stubbled by a lack of razors on the trip,  with the foreigner shooting a smile to his compatriots.

'Good Evening, friends!' he announced quite with a dry mouth, before letting out a cough.

'Has anyone got a drink?'

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2009, 01:28:30 »

Mira, whom had busied himself with turning his three birdly companions into one compendium-sized meal, looked up at Deciphers entrance. "In Sarvonia? That would depend on to what depths you are willing to sink considering what would qualify as 'drink', i fear. But i discovered a stash of wine in the pantry while looking for herbs. The Leithe is of a particular good year!"

He picked up the opened botle hidden behind a plucked chorakee carcass, and gently poured a glass for his Nybelmarian colleague. "I am not certain there are any actual grapes in this 'wine', but as they say; chareh Krathazzar su'i Krathï eshbe tichupo.."

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2009, 02:20:02 »

Toasting with his fellow Enkyklopediac, Decipher's face soured at the taste of the sickly, sharp wine that Mira had retrieved from the pantry. Continuing to the drink that glass at once and keen not ruin the festivities by struggling with the deep-red liquid, Decipher rustles into the disproportionately deep pockets of his coats to reveal three small flasks of Morchini Jinn.

'I had hoped not to have to use up all of my supplies before our next trip home, but considering what passes as edible in this Kingdom it may be a necessity.' quoth the Nybelmarian as he poured two generous glasses.

'and while I dread to ask, is there anything to eat here?' he said, sipping from his drink and looking into the crowd of Compendiumists to see if anyone familiar had spotted his entrance.

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2009, 06:00:35 »

As Seeker sat and drank with Dek and Artimidor he began to feel better..noticeably better.  At first he thought it was the lemonade he was drinking, but then he looked up and noticed that Rayne was waving her hand around like she was some kind of Jedi and he realized what was going on.   

"Thanks Rayne, the clothes look great too"  However Seeker never  felt comfortable when others performed spells on him without his permission, so he stood up and began to leave.  He stopped briefly to say a word to Artimidor "Hey Art, I don't know if I have ever told you how much I enjpy and appreciate being a part of the Compendium. Thanks for all you do to keep this project going...oh... and happy holidays"
"And happy holidays to you Dek.  I would be glad to have you as a travel companion anytime"

Seeker left the small group and looked around.  "Where is Azhira and Altario.  Must be stuck in fog or a blizzard.  Oh well....wait a minute.who's that... Mira?...Deci?" 

Taking this opportunity in hand Seeker walked across the room to speak with Deci and Mira.  " Hey Deci...Mira....do you have a minute to spare? I am curious what's been going on in Nybelmar."

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 19 December 2009, 09:14:51 »

The snow was deep, and Swing didn‘t want to go further. After all, Swing was an aj‘nuvic and therefore a desert animal. Desert meant an agreeable temperature, the sun shining on the fur, cool water from a waterhole surrounded with fruit trees, such as ficas and liferas. But no, her bondmate had insisted to wander up this long dune which was not made out of golden sand, but covered with a white, soft stuff which felt so very different under the paws. Different was an understatement. It just felt not right to place the paws on a surface which gave way, was soft and unpredictable. Everybody knew, that you should not step on quick sand, but what if there was a place where this white mass was deeper than a leg‘s length, what then? Was it possible to drown in snow?

And then, these tall prickling  trees! Green all year long, even in such a cold. Probably they were just invented to carry the white nothing and to throw it onto the unfortunate traveller. Swing tossed her head up to get rid of some snowflakes which dared to fall on her head  and decided suddenly, that it made no sense to go on, stopped, and put her head down to investigate the still fresh trail of some small rodent. As her rider had no firm grip on the leather straps running around her body, the feet covered with thick socks and shoes, it was not very surprisingly, that she lost her balance and glided down along Swings long neck into the snow.

„Swing, you worm eating sand drake, what did you do! Now I‘m entirely  covered with snow and it gets wet inside my clothes! Haaha, how I love snow! And look, now the map is wet and we need it to find this tavern. The ink is already fading.“

Talia looked at the map, it couldn‘t be far away, that tavern in the snowy mountains. If it were not Rayne, who had sent the invitation, she would not have come. Just because the Thirsty Herald was still closed due to renovation, that did not mean, that there were not other lovely places in Santharia, warmer ones. That nice and cosy tavern in New Santhala, or Bard‘s Rest in Barvados. But well, some people needed snow in winter to be happy!

Not that she hated snow. Once she was used to the cold and the wetness when it melted in displeasing places, it was fun. She loved to immerse in it, to roll down a steep hill, as if would be a sand dune. Even sledging was fun, maybe that could be introduced to the Ráhaz-Dáth! Sand-sledging, what for an idea!

Having brushed up all the snow on her clothes, at least as much as was possible, she went to her aj and caressed her between the eyes.

„Come on, my sweatheart, it can‘t be long till we reach that tavern and I‘m sure, there is a warm and dry stable for you, otherwise I‘ll take you in the main room, I promise! Have some dochnuts! It will soon be dark, we are late, come on. I should not have worked so long on this Ximax stuff!“

Talia turned around and stumped up the mountain, Swing following her like a froward child. And it didn‘t take long and they saw the smoke of a chimney, and a light in a window, and a huge, dark , wooden door.

Talia knocked, but with the now howling wind, she did not hear, if someone answered inside. So she pushed the heavy door open, bringing with her a gust of cold wind, snowflakes whirled in the room.

Pushing her cowl of her head, she entered.

„Greetings all! Is there room for a frozen desert woman and her animal?“

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 December 2009, 09:45:25 »

Eldor was weary from his trek and took a seat at the table that Rookie stood on. "Would anyone care for some entertainment?" He said, pulling out his pipe. Lighting it quickly, he waite for the smoke to grow in size. He then proceeded to concentrate on the smoke, causing to make amusing shapes, and billow around others. He raised the property of perception in the smoke, so the contours of it were sharper and more defined. He continued doing this for quite some time, feeling he had to do something to fit in with these people who were obviouly old friends. He was the odd one out.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2009, 14:26:52 »

Following her re-alignment of car'allia, Rayne picked up a cheese and cracker platter and began moving from one group to the next offering the hors d'oeuvres to her hungry guests. As the door opened and a familiar Shendar came in, Rayne immediately put down the plate and rushed to hug Talia.

In a moment she rushed to the back and returned with a glass of beer for her old friend, then offered her, too, one of the cheese and cracker hors d'oeuvres she had just set down.

Meanwhile, one of Rayne's little paper bird fluttered down to perch on Eldor's shoulder, seemingly fascinated with the changing shapes he created in the rising smoke. It warbled delightedly, and another paper bird fluttered down to perch in Eldor's hair, also fascinated by the shape-shifting smoke.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 December 2009, 11:12:06 »

Azhira tugged her thick cowl just a little more over her pointed ears and glanced up. Yes, this was the place. Rayne's holiday party was here. And...who was that who just entered? Azhira could have sworn it was Lady Talia accompanied by some kind of...animal? She shook her head. Yes, Talia was sure to have a pet something with her. Azhira was not much for parties, being more a loner, but she had to come for Rayne's get-together. Azhira had known Rayne for a short while, and was impressed with her skill of magic and history with the Compendium. Indeed, the magess had become one of Azhira's friends. Perhaps this party wouldn't be so bad after all.

Azhira tredged through the snow and came upon the door. She was starting to feel a headache coming on. She fished around in her left coat pocket for a small bag. She turned from the wind and opened it slightly. The aromatic leaves of Nightshade wafted to her nose. Azhira glanced around to make sure no one was looking before pinching off a tiny dose of the leaves and placing it under her tongue. There, that should keep her comfortable. Immediately, Azhira felt a warmth course through her body as the medicinal Nightshade took hold.

Pushing open the door, the snowy wind swirling about her, Azhira stepped inside just after Talia. She backed the door closed with her bottom and nodded as she heard the click. A quick glance around revealed several of her friends and fellow Compendiumists. Oh! Rookie! Eldor and Mira! Splendid, she though. Azhira pushed back her cowl and tried to smooth her tangled mess of nor'sidian locks before waving to the others.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 December 2009, 18:48:38 »

A roan-shaded mare waded through the white-crusted hills, each footstep cracking down into the piled snow. Tendrils of whispy air blasted out of the horse's nose with each breath, and it slapped its ears down over the sides of its head, not to swat away flies, but to keep them moving and warm. A slender form sat hunched over the back of the animal, hooded and huddled in a thick cloak and blanket, with one dainty gloved hand placed lightly on the edge of the rein from the only spot she dared to uncover a limb from the inner warmth. Her dusky face, paler than usual from the cold, looked out tiredly over the mountainside from the shadows of her hood as she and steed trudged on.

Fox hadn't been planning on attending Rayne's party. Though she and Rayne went far back--they had both done much of their earliest works for the Compendium in Ximax together, some few years ago--Fox just wasn't much for large gatherings like this. And it was such a journey, too, according to Rayne's directions. Though she finally decided she would go, she had left late, and had the journey not gone as smoothly as it did, might have even arrived a few days later than the invitation desired. If she had still been in her home in Thalambath, rather than Ximax where she had been helping on recent Compendium documenting, she certainly wouldn't have made it. Instead, she would just arrive several hours further into the day, though the invitation did not give any specific time at which guests must show up.

Fox pulled softly at the reins of her mare as she caught sight of the tavern further up the hill. She was surprised there was one up here, as it seemed so out of the way for any travelers to pass by. A puff of cloudy air escaped her lips as she sighed. Rayne could have chosen a less strenuous location. Fox knew that it was for the snow, though as a native of the south, she was much more used to warm, golden holidays.

She could already spy one or two horses nestled in the stables outside the tavern--even an aj'nuvic! Talia must already be here, for Fox knew of no other Shendar Compendiumist. The scent of roasting food and what might likely be holiday ale grew stronger with each plod of her horse's hoofs through the crusty snow, so Fox knew that the others had already been here for some time now. In fact, she thought she spied a traveler just outside the wreathed door, who quickly entered the tavern and vanished.

Fox brought her horse up to the stables, where she slid down from its back and led it inside, where she tied its reins to the post. She reached into one of the packs on the side of the mare's saddle and produced a handful of grains, which she brought over to allow the horse to eat off of her hand. This small bite was enough for now, for she had stopped only a little while ago to feed the horse. At least the stables seemed mostly warm--at least, as much as was needed for an animal, which was significantly less than Fox herself preferred--so she pat the animal along the side of its neck before walking softly over towards the tavern door.

She rested her hand daintily on the handle, but did not open the door right away. Instead she listened first at the edge of the door for the sounds inside. Fox did not want to interrupt an introduction for the figure that had entered a short while before her, and indeed would have preferred to slip in quietly without great fuss.

She took her hand from the door for a moment to pull her hood down, letting it rest atop the blanket still wrapped over her shoulders. The howl of the cold air instantly snapped at her skin, and a shiver ran through her body as it touched the upper areas of her neck that her scarf did not cover. She reached under her blanket and cloak into a pack around her belt, and pulled out a small vanity mirror to make sure the journey had not undone the makeup she had put on earlier. Her short brown hair was a mess from wearing the hood all day, so she combed her fingers down through it and parted the bangs away from her eyes, until she was certain that it was at least mostly proper.

Judging the rest to be satisfactory, she put the mirror back into her pack and then finally turned back to the door, which she slowly and quietly pushed open. About half of the way the aged hinges began to squeak, so Fox immediately stopped and just shifted her slender form through the opening, and then closed the door softly behind her. She immediately side-stepped away from the door before casting her brown eyes over the occupants. She immediately recognized Rayne, Talia, and Artimidor, as well as Seeker by his flamed tattoos and the small brownie who could be none other than Rookie. The rest she knew of in varied areas, though many she had not had the chance to meet in person before.

She let a small smile form briefly on her lips at any that looked her way, but refrained from immediately proclaiming her arrival.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2009, 18:57:22 by Fox » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 562
Online Ever: 562
(Today at 02:54:50)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)