Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Invitation to All: A Holiday Party  (Read 10929 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 21 December 2009, 19:15:01 »

Mira shoved the last stuffed chorakee into the humongous oven of the tavern, and turned the hour-glass. Brushing spilled herbs from his working area, and frowning at Decipher whom had been nicking small bits of his stuffing for the last fifteen minutes, he stepped up to listen in to his fellow Nybelmarian's exited tales of the goings-on of their home continent to Seeker.

Seeker, a reknowned connoiseur of the dark and dreadfull, was currently presented with a tale of the old haunted woods of Marmara, a story Miraran was already familiar with, and so he allowed his attention to wander amongs the more recent arrivals. There was Fox, a reknown sorceress he had heard much of, but spoken little with, Artimidor, the sage-of-sages, whom appeared to be taking notes on something.. Mira smirked, knowing Artimidor could never resist the temptation to gather new facs, no matter the occasion.

Then, as if underlining the great diversity of the people gathered here, there were two people he knew very well indeed, Azhira from the North, and Talia, whom was often called the 'Lady of the South'. Waving and smiling as one by one these people made their way into the steadilly growing crowd, Mira felt it had been worth the arduous trek to join this 'Kirst-mais' event the Sarvonians were so enthusiastic about.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 December 2009, 21:57:41 »

'...and there you have it Seeker, there have been fewer more terrifying experiences in my life than venturing too close to those Broken Woods, polluted with dark Gaisho they were!'

Patting what snow had no yet melted off of his coat, the Nybelmarian paused awkwardly as he realised who enormously little he knew of Seeker besides his magnificent skill as an artist. Pouring another shot of Jinn, and a second which he offered to Seeker, he asked:

'So, my friend? Where exactly are you from? You seem more familiar with this Kirst-mais than I am...we still have a week or so before home erupts in celebrations at the turn of the year and so these festivities seem a little premature to me!'

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 December 2009, 20:43:49 »

Jenna hummed as she walked. Or rather, Jenna hummed her usual mishmash of half-remembered melodies, that segued into bizarre and entirely tuneless combinations of two songs for a time, until she lost the thread of one or another, and stopped and scratched her cheek until another few notes swam out from the recesses of her mind, when she would take up the tune with renewed enthusiasm, and stroll on.

Snow, she thought, is all very well when you’re tall and there ain’t much of it. But when you are small and the whole mountain has decided to cover itself in white as if it were a blanket, well-
Neatly timing itself with her thoughts, the drift that had before been covering a solid stretch of ground suddenly became deeper. She went in up to her waist.
When she finally did heave herself out, having to remove a snow shoe more like a crude tennis racket, and a very damp sock, everything below her midriff was wet and freezing. She pulled on the sock - and it was bad enough, a hobbit having to wear socks, without the darned things being actually physically uncomfortable.

Yet the landscape about her almost made up for the blasted snow.
The mountains were spectacular indeed, and if she hadn’t had to trek through it, the snow would have been quite the novelty. It was beautiful, the way it made the world brighter and all black and white, like an old etching or ink drawing. Jenna herself fitted into the picture nicely. Only her movement distinguished her from the monochrome world, broken only by bright streaks of the evergreens. Her cloak was a thick black fur and covered her so well that with her legs knee deep in snow, only her face was visible., covering her normal old cape, and jacket, and shirt. She had, however, swapped her leather jerkin for her embroidered green waistcoat, as she always did for occasions where a little formality seemed polite.

Then there was the mysterious location and gathering itself. When the small invitation had arrived, she had thought for a moment it was a wrong address, and the thing was for some grand lord’s party. But no, that was her name on the envelope, as sure as her feet were hairy. Ma’ll love to hear about this she thought as she went. Little young me, getting invited to a secret gathering by that miss Rayne who wrote so much on hobbits, as if I were a proper scholar! Already her mind danced along tracks, imagining what sorts of intellectual escapades and secret doings might occur in this mysterious location. She had decided, a few strals back, that she was definitely not lost, so consulting the map again, the building should have appeared as she mounted the slope ahead.
It didn’t.

After five more strals, two bread and cheese breaks, and three more slopes that resolutely failed to have magnificent compendiumist hideouts hiding behind them, Jenna was starting to feel a little put out.
Naturally, as the clambered to the head of another rise in the mountain side, a small tavern presented itself, sat snug and smug in the hillside.

Jenna’s face split in a grin and she bounded the last stretch. She didn’t even curse when she fell hard on her face in the glittering snow.
Warmth and food smells and chattering hit her as she tugged the door open. A quick glance around the cheery little tavern showed her the gaggle of compendiumists gathered. It was strange, to see so many noble faces in such a relaxed setting. The few she had actually met, she had encountered at more formal ceremonies, and had rarely had chance to actually speak with them. There were so many illustrious folks she’d only ever heard off too: Miraran, Decipher, Talia, Fox, Azhira, Rookie, Seeker, Alysse, Sordoc (sadly), Deklitch, a fellow who had to be Eldor, and of course, the dainty elf Rayne and Sage Ferdekial himself.

She swallowed, stamped off as much swiftly melting snow from her frozen feet as she could, gathered her courage, and shuffled over to Rayne, stood by the Shendar woman Talia.
“Well, um, miss Avalutos, and I do hope I’m not interrupting anything important like, well. Hullo to you, and miss Sturmwind as well."  she flashed them both a quick grin. “Thankyou ever so for inviting me. This all looks so nice, an all, and well, I brought some sweet beans if anyone fancied something sweetish.” She produced the packet from some inner pocket. “I would’ve brought a pie if I could’ve carried it. You wouldn’t happen to have enough ingredients for an All-year pie, would you? So’s I could make one big enough for all.”
As she waited for an answer, her gaze rested on Eldor. There were so many folks to meet and greet, but he seemed a little lonely, sat by himself and making such wonderful shapes with his pipe smoke, as a few of Rayne’s little paper birds hopped about on his shoulders. She called over to him.
“You’ll be Mr Delrossa, I presume, who did all that work on magic and nasty mixtures. Well, hullo, and my name’s Jenna. Praps you’ve heard of me? Those are some delightful shapes you’re magiking, I must say.”

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
-William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Development schedule
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 December 2009, 01:13:55 »

The small study was rather cozy.  A roaring fire lit the room and kept the cold from seeping in, and a window to the side of the cabin showed the brilliant snowfall outside.  Agran Velion took no noticed of the pleasures, he was the most recent member of the Compendium, and Velion was ready to prove himself.  On the small wooden desk he worked upon, one would normaly never be able to find any orginization upon it!

Agran knew what he was doing however. His left hand darted around the desk, drawing up notes, pictures, and a cup of freshly brewed tea.  His right slowly scribbled, logging the notes and data on his two most recent works.  The Centoraurian Cavalry Sabre, and the Alth'tiert, he had been lucky however, both works had brought him to the North, so he could simply work in peace while he worked in the study of a Mr. Van'rae's house.  Agran couldn't say much to the knowledge of these men, but he could say one thing about them, their food was excellent.  Roasted deer, warm salted...oh he'd been distracted again!

Velion shook his head and mumbled to himself, he scribbled a bit more and reached for his tea.  His hand wrapped around a rough thin object, and with a start he jerked towards it, knocking his tea over the floor.  Agran spat a curse, and waved his hand, there was a curious sound, like a drain being unplugged. The liquid raised itself off the ground and poured into the cup.  Agran snatched the letter and read it, a smile changing his annoyed feature.  He called to his clerk, "Olar!  Get the horses ready!"

An hour later Velion and his assistant/clerk were riding hard to the party.  Olar had wrapped a scarf around his face to block out the cold wind; Agran had not seen fit tto pack a scarf, instead choosing to stay with just pulling his cloak up further.   Agran had never been the best horse-rider, but his stay with Centoraurian people had taught him the basics, and he managed to stay on for a good four hours before he nearly collapsed off the horse.  Thankfully for though, the lights of the tavern were nearby, Velion brought himself to his knees, and thanked the gods that he had survived!

He stood up, rubbing his sore legs, and limped into the tavern, "Hello, I'm...ouch...I'm..here!"

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 December 2009, 07:43:15 »

Having achieved her objective of nearly rendering Sordoc comatose from drink (which had been heavily dosed with Runorian brandy), Alysse was able to rejoin the party.  After welcoming those of her friends that she had missed, she greeted some of the newer arrivals.  Taking a small whisk from by the door, she began brushing the snow from people's coats as they entered.

"Jenna, my friend, closer to the fire you must come, so wet you are!"  She hustled the little hobbit-maid closer to the warmth.  "Hello, Eldor!"  Yes, that was right.  She admired the fantastical smoke shapes a moment, and then noticed the new arrivals.
"Greetings, I think, that met...no, that we have not met yet?"  Alysse whisked the snow from Agran and Olar's coats briskly. "Northern research you are doing, yes? That..." she paused a moment to get the grammatical structures right, "that is my specialty.  I would be happy to assist you if aid you require."  She favored them with a bright smile, hung up the whisk and moved back into the central area of the room, closer to the fire.

Alysse the Likely
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 December 2009, 08:25:25 »

Rayne smiled and winked at Fox as she came in--a way of subtly greeting the mage she had known for so many years. It was then poor Jenna came in, soaked with snow! As Alysse led the hobbit to the fire, Rayne nodded to her question concerning the question concerning All-year pie. After all, the little elf had made certain to carry all that would be needed (and much which would not be needed) to the tavern in her pockets. While the little mage's pockets seemed awfully small, she could always somehow manage to fit an awful lot inside them.

Rayne hurried to the back and pulled out all the things necessary for All-year pie: tuberroots, mutton, weeproot, flour, and a host of other ingredients, including an array of spices. The little elf couldn't help but smile a little, ebullient with the thought of All-year pie! It had been many seasons since she'd tasted good hobbit cooking!--and of all races, hobbits sure knew how to cook.

The indigo-eyed elf emerged from the back, and winked appreciatively at Alysse. Now that a crowd was forming, the little elf was grateful to have another helping her hostess! She watched the new arrival (both to the party and to Santharia!) socialize among the others, and smiled. Yes, it seemed that Agran would fit in quite well here.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 December 2009, 13:24:20 »

Seeker politely refused the drink being offered by Deci.  "I don't drink anything stronger than day old lemon juice, I must keep my mind sharp you see.  You never know when you need to be on your toes."  Seeker looked around the room suspiciously and seemed to be avoiding Deci's other question.  Many times he had been asked about his past.. Where was he from... Where did he learn to paint.....what was he Seeking all the time, etc.  But no one ever seemed to ask the right question. 

Deci looked at him as if waiting.  Seeker spoke  "I am from Sarvonia.... but claim no tribe."  And then in an audible whisper  "Not after what happened."  regaining his composure Seeker continued "and yes the festivities seem a bit premature but I am sure it was to allow time for all our friends to arrive." 

Seeker saw dissapointment on Deci's face and he knew from whence it came.  He had seen it many times before.  This is the point where a friend realizes that Seeker was not willing to share more of himself, not willing to share his..... secrets.   This was the pont when a friend walked away and and did not return.  Seeker thought to himself, "I can't tell him more,  how can I trust anyone after what happened, the truth will drive my friends away faster than my silence." At that point Seeker gave Deci a smile, turned and walked into the crowd.  "Maybe someday I can trust again"  Seeker thought as he pulled his hood over his head. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 December 2009, 22:50:15 »

As Seeker refused the Jinn Decipher could not say that he was surprised. Rumours that 'Mamarran Tactics' perpetuated every part of his actions had rather tainted any trust placed in him in his early years, though he had come to the conclusion that as none of his acquaintances had suffered unusual deaths recently that such a reputation was unfounded.

The man was cryptic, but he was not surprised at this either, most geniuses were recluse and his artistic talent compensated for quite a cold secrecy.

'Everyone has their secrets, but there is no need for them to spoil the festivities!'

Taking another shot, and slowly reaching a level of intoxication that he might understand the lunacy of these Sarvonian holidays, Decipher scoured the room for a flute, the touch of alcohol always brining out the musician in him.

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Stormraven

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 December 2009, 13:32:58 »

Keldren began a new, more jaunty tune on his bone flute. It was a short piece that always seemed to get at least a few folk dancing. He had learned it from a hobbit during his travels as the song ended Kel noticed Decipher looking around so stood slowly from the fire place and offered him a duplicate bone flute.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2009, 04:09:55 by Stormraven » Logged

Not all who Wander are Lost J.R.R. Tolkien
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 December 2009, 15:25:05 »

Eldor hardly noticed the paper birds suddenly hopping about his personal space. He was focusing intently on the smoke. Being an Earth mage, he had to use what sparse knowledge of Xeua magic that he had in order to manipulate it. Of course, he uderstood the concepts for all fo the elements, but was forbidden to one, like all elemental magi.

His concentration was interrupted, however, by a boyish hobbit girl. He listened intently while she spoke. He inclined his head to her. "You are correct, I am Eldor Delrossa. I am quite fond of magick, and of anything made by herbs or other flora." He was about to stand and offer his hand to her when Alysse came over and ushered Jenna over to the fire. In response to her greeting, he said, "Greetings fair Lady Alysse. The Kuglmiz Dirg'mystrume asked me to pass on his warm greetings."

Eldor spotted a young woman standing in the backround. It had to be the infamous archmage of the water tower, Lady Fox. He understood her need to stay hidden, and her desire not to have attention attracted to herself. He simply glanced away, amber eyes roaming the room. He spotted the two Nybelmarians and the rune mage having a conversation over by the bar. He stood slowly and ambled stiffly over to hear what they were saying, perhaps learning a thing or two about a place as much a mystery to him as young maidens were. "Greetings gentlemen. Might I inquire what you are discussing?"

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 168
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)