Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Cort'Mangar- Masterwork  (Read 14724 times)
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2010, 05:43:16 »

I think that's a fair assumption, Val. That's how folklore gets distorted, the further away from the source of the events you are, the less likely you are to get the true facts.

As for the Epheronians, I'll wait to see what you do with them here before I make any solid plans.

I still need a Dwarven leader to ally with them over the Gates, though.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2010, 06:17:35 »

You'd want a Kurakim dwarf then. They've got decent relations with the Injerin and they fight orcs alongside the Injerin, so they'd be more apt to co-operate with another ally against the orcs. Your only problem there is that they live somewhere in the Prominent mountains. It's a bit of a hike to Caaelh'heroth from there.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2010, 06:21:10 »

There are also the dwarfs in the Imlith Mountain, which I believe is closer to where you are talking about.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The Silent Watcher

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 February 2010, 06:27:32 »

See how out of touch I am? Whoever I choose, they need to have been in the area a loooooong time ago.

Now let's stop hijacking this thread.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 February 2010, 11:18:43 »

I think my basic idea was that during the Battle of Osthemangar, there was a great cataclysmic event that broke open the Shadespell Gorge. This resulted in Netherworld energies destroying Cort'Mangar and its inhabitants. However, what really happened was the city and inhabitants merged with the Netherworld presence in a twisted in-between realm. Likely, time stopped for the people of the city and as Shades, they still believe they are fighting a battle.

That is one myth/theory that scholars could have created over the years. There could, of course, be others.

As for the Epheronians, another of my ideas for them is that they have been at war with the orcs of Aden for many years. Perhaps, one could propose that the Battle of Osthemangar was fought by the Erpheronians (knights of Armeros etc) against the orcs of Cort'Mangar. When the orcen shamans sought to unleash a terrible spell against the humans, they ended up destroying themselves. Erpheronian lore now tells of how the humans fled the battle and settled Aden more or less in peace. They never explored much past Cort'Mangar knowing the terrible place it is now.

The remaining surviving orcen clans kept up the war with the humans but were eventually wiped out thus leading to their extinction. Essentially, by this explanation, the Erpheronians and orcs have a very ancient history in Caaehl'heroth. Likely, the lore is so old that much is forgotten by now.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2010, 13:25:36 »

As should be obvious already, edits in red. Orcish views added to the mythology (the section probably needs a bit of text to frame it).

I'm open for suggestions to add to the history.
Part of it will probably include the arrival of men on Aden.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2010, 04:23:12 »

Ok, here comes an Uri!

Overview
Far to the north, the ruined fortress of Cort’Mangar looms in the north of the peninsula of Caaehl'heroth. The city, believed to have been fortress-like in its days as a settlement now sits cracked and decaying like a putrid egg near the infamous Shadespell Gorge.

(Overview can be a bit more detailed, at least touching upon other key points of the entry, like People or Myth. Also you don't mention that we're talking about the Sarvonian continent e.g. - always have in mind that the reader has no idea about what lies where in Caelereth, so make things as clear as possible.)

Description
"Erpheronia’s majestic castles hold not a candle to these dark ruins. I find them strangely beautiful..." Mavram Swiftrook wrote of the broken, jagged spires of Cort'Mangar. These massive towers rise above the cracked and broken walls of the city (Which city? Is the fortress named Cort'Mangar, or is there a city called Cort'Mangar, as "spires of Cort'Mangar" could refer to the whole city... In general the title itself doesn't mention what you're talking about, so just update it accordingly to e.g. "The Fortress of Cort'Mangar". Maybe if the fortress is called Cort'Mangar you might decide to give the city its own name, just to make things perfectly clear, right now this might be rather confusing.), which enclose the mist which obscures much of the rest of the city, and its unearthly inhabitants.

The towers of Cort'Mangar, supposedly of dark elven construction, stand easily 160 peds tall in their broken state, as has been estimated by the use of complicated mathematical formulae. The design of these towers is strange, more like they were grown than crafted, resembling nothing more than great black backbones stretching into the sky, splintered tops clawing at the clouds. The towers stand in sharp contrast to the blocky orcish built ruins below. In several places, jagged shards of towers crater the surface of the ruins heavily, or litter the mist covered streets. (So, is it only the fortress that features the towers? Ot is the fortress part of the city? How many towers are there?)

"I can sense a palpable malevolence in the area" is what Swiftrook wrote of the region around Cort'Mangar. It is true that there seems to be less light the closer an observer approaches to the ruins of Cort'Mangar. The cause of this seems to be two-fold. The weather around Cort'Mangar is in a state of permanent changelessness. The air does not stir unprompted and a permanent bank of dark cloud extends for about ten strals from the city. It does not rain or snow within these ten strals usually referred to as the "Desolation of Cort'Mangar". Nothing green grows on this frozen plain. It requires a great deal of effort to do more than crack the ground and digging is nigh impossible for any one man. The second reason for the darkness that seems to have infested itself in the area is thought to be the sapping influence of the Netherworld. It may be that the proximity to the Shadespell Gorge, or one of its "tributaries" sucks the very light and life out of a place.

The ruins can only be approached by two means. The south, where Marvan Swiftrook undoubtedly made his ill-fated expedition, and the west. Initially, only the southern route was known yet, upon later exploration, the Injerín explorer Saryas Kelweather discovered a great bridge that crossed the body of the Shadespell Gorge and ended near the city. This is the only known crossing of the Gorge and remains structurally sound despite its age, suggesting the use of magic in the construction.

(There could be some more description here, going into further detail of what kinds of buildings can still be partly found, perhaps underground passages etc. Places like this are a nice challenge for the imagination!)

Location.
The Ruins of Cort’Mangar are located on Caaehl'heroth, the north-eastern most section of Northern Sarvonia. The Ruins lie to the south-west of the Deep Winds Portal at Osthemangar and at one end of the Shadespell Gorge. Cort’Mangar and the immediate region are often referred to as a whole as “The Desolation of Cort’Mangar”. Scholars suspect that a fissure from the Shadespell Gorge extends underneath the city itself, leaking its otherworldly aura into the region.

People.
In the long ago days (proper English?) before Thar the city of Cor’tam Angarek ("City of the Dark Claw" in an ancient, long since dead orcish dialect), was an orcen fortress, built to keep Erpheronians from encroaching further into Caael’heroth. The orcs built high walls and tall towers in Cor’tam Angarek. (Aha, here we finally learn more about the city... All things that should be mentioned properly in the Overview! - However: The "Erpheronians" as such didn't exist before 2200 b.S., Valan (see their entry), and Marvin Swiftbrook arrived there not before 1000 b.S.! Yet you continue in the next paragraph that the dark elves joined the orcs, who had been defending themselves against Erpheronians, who wouldn't arrived for the next 8000 years... So I guess there are definitely some changes needed!)

During the War of the Chosen, Dark Elves joined the orcs in inhabiting the city, building dark spires of impossible heights, summoning circles and eventually creating twisted, evil creatures for the war. Since the destruction of Cort’Mangar (How did that happen? Could be at least mentioned here.), the only inhabitants of the ruins are the enigmatic “Shades”, "Hav’ak Lohks” or “Faces of Night" to orcs, terrible spectres who flit silently among the decaying city. "They do not walk. They…slither on barely perceptible legs. As if their lower bodies are bathed in shadow. I see hundreds of them. Maybe thousands!" The Injerín explorer Kelweather called these creatures "Náfreánh" (Styrásh for "faded"). The commonly held theory states that these creatures are the spirits of the dead caught between Caelereth and the Netherworld.

Climate
The weather surrounding Cort’Mangar can hardly be called such. Like much of Caaehl'heroth, the ruins are perpetually shrouded in cloudy greyness. It does not rain or snow about Cort’Mangar, nor does the wind blow, making the soundless air seem strangely dead.

This becalmed aura extends for six or seven strals in every direction from the ruins, leaving the ground cold, dusty and desolate. A perpetual black fog lies on the ruins themselves, obscuring the ground from easy inspection, and wreathing the towers like fell smoke.

The air is biting cold, and only grows colder as the approach of the city continues. No wind touches Cort’Mangar nor its coast and sea-faring vessels daren't approach it for fear of becoming becalmed. Time behaves oddly within the Desolation, twisting and knotting, warping like wood left to dry. There is no discernible pattern to how this behaves, days can last blinks of the eye, or moments (The term for "seconds" in Santharia is actually "blinks" BTW.) stretch on endlessly until they seem to be days in ending. The air smells of cold and faintly of decay, despite any flesh in the city having rotted away eons ago.

----------------------------------

Ok, so much for the basic part... Now with myth and history as has been mentioned above we're getting on shaky terrain, referring to Erpheronians which weren't really there. I'll have to check the historical development maps and see how that could be explained better.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2010, 04:48:06 »

Ok, back from some history excursions...

The main thread of interest are the ancient timelines, which you find here. As you can see the area you're talking about isn't very well developed in terms of human tribes, all that seems to be clear is that the humans up there were called the "Dinali".

You find a few rough pointers here and there if you search the site, e.g. in the Northern Sarvonian entry or at the entry on the Great Sundering. The most you find at the Peninsula of Kr'uul entry, where they are described as somewhat twisted humans.

But probably this all mainly refers to the area with the Peninsula of Kru'ul, which lies west of the Lands of the Kuglimz. So what tribe you have up there exactly before the War of the Chosen is very unclear, and still something to decide. They could be Dinali as described, or be offsprings of the Dinali and develop to something entirely different.

That's also something Azhira might be interested to chip in, as this is an interesting territory up there...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 February 2010, 05:06:06 »

From my research into the Eight Wind Bays, the Dinali were the human troops of Eckra the Cruel. They supposedly still inhabit the Peninsula of Kr'uul, killing or doing worse things to those foolish enough to venture too far into that blighted land.

Eckra was, of course, only one of the four archmagi involved in the Battle of the Winds. The Dinali are only mentioned with regards to Eckra, the tribes/races used by the others aren't mentioned ... although as two are described as white mages, it could be assumed that they are human/elf troops. Of the fourth archmagi, no real mention of his troops are made.

Yairock isn't mentioned anywhere else on site, from what I can tell. As Yairock was the archmage 'of the north' he might be the most relevant to you, Valan.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2010, 05:24:19 »

Ehhh...the Dinali! Of course!

I think I might have added to the confusion. I refer to the Erpheronians as being the humans up there involved with Cort'Mangar and they really didn't exist yet as a tribe. What could be said are humans *from* the Erpheronian lands of South Sarvonia, or make them the Dinali. I would prefer to use the Dinali as they are an established human tribe up in that area, or used to be. They are extinct now, I believe.

But yes...one needs to establish certain timelines of the tribes before proceeding. I do know that the orcs have always been up there, in the form of the extinct Aes'Os'th'er'oc. But as Arti said, we'll need to decide the pre-Erpheronian human tribe. Expanding on this Yairock might be interesting, too.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 February 2010, 12:51:28 »

So it sounds as though I've more work to do?

Drat. That's killed my bit about the Aerphereine documents I think. Hmm. I suppose I'll save them for later anyways. I doubt the Dinalli would be much for the style there anyways, to say nothing of writing. They seem... barbaric? The orcish history should still be fine, except for the location they drive the vermin back to.

Azhira: The settlement of Ogh might be an old Dinalli one?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2010, 13:18:15 »

Yes, Ogh could be a Dinali ruin. The name seems orcen though. Perhaps the settlement changed hands over the years and Ogh was once known by another Dinali name.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2010, 14:11:32 »

I can work with that. I can work with that indeed.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2010, 03:59:14 »

The Erpheronians definitely came much later to the north and then from the Peninsula of Aden, and it's also unclear how far they actually got with all the orcs around as such. So if Erpheronians are involved, the key events would need to be moved around 2000 b.S. or so. Actually not everything needs to pre-date the War of the Chosen, because this is so early on in time that it is hardly "real", it's basically all mythical at that time. It doesn't hurt to have battles and crumbled fortresses when Erpheronia was around. So you might look into that as an option.

The Dinali as far as I can see and as Deklitch already pointed out basically were defined as the inhabitants of the Peninsula of Kr'uul, and as such very specially designed for that purpose see (the Chosen Eckra and his malicious intents, Forbidden Zone etc.) So they are mentioned in the timeline more or less just to have a rough idea what could be out there in the northwestern section of Northern Sarvonia, yet the people up there (even if they by now are extinct) could have developed into something entirely different. I guess it would make much more sense if they aren't Dinali as described in the Eckra the Cruel context, but something of their own. If so, you'd need at least to have a rough idea what they are for this entry...

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2010, 04:34:46 »

Part of the problem might be that if we move it that much closer, the information probably needs to become a little bit more concrete. Which puts parts of my entry well back past square one I think

In any case, let me see if I understand what I can and cannot do here.

1. Move the events forward in the timeline to 2000 b.S. so that the Erpheronians can be involved.
2. Remove the erpheronian references and
-a) replace them with Eckra's Dinali
-b) claim that the humans are from Erpheronia (?)
-c) replace them with some other sort of Dinali
-d) The Mysterious Fourth Option

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!