Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Cort'Mangar- Masterwork  (Read 15244 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2010, 12:13:28 »

I seem to have managed to get off topic writing this so I'll just add that current edits are in gold and that I think I've managed to cover most of the bases. The overview and the history/myth bits are still eluding me as to what to do with them.

Valan, we need to work through some of these issues. Its obvious the history I laid out in the Shadespell is inconsistent. The only way to get this right is if I help sort this out.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2010, 14:11:44 »

Agreed.

I seem to start writing these posts and turning on the "purge" switch, so forgive me if I'm being verbose or otherwise incoherent.

At the moment, the timeline I've got in my head is this. Some of it is meta, some of it is framing pulled straight from the history tables and some is adjusted

ca. 9600 b.S. to 9500 b.S.    The Rise of Eckra the Cruel
A powerful Archmage known as Eckra the Cruel builds Tak'Dinal Keep in the region which should later be known as the Forbidden Zone. Eckra slowly expands his domain until he is the sole master of the peninsula he is in.
No mention of the Dinali here.

ca. 9600 b.S. to 9500 b.S Dinali offshoot arrives on Aden.
Maybe they weren't quite as tough as the rest, maybe they weren't entirely crazy, whatever happened, this bunch show up on Aden.

c.a 9400 b.S Cor'tam'angarek is constructed
The orcs run into the... hmm. I don't know what to call this bunch. Let's call them the Adenites for now. The orcs run into the Adenites about a century after they show up. They've colonized north of the mountains of Caith at this point, and the orcs don't like this. They build their fortress/city.

c.a 9200 b.S.-5000 b.S. Dark Elves conquer Cor'tam'angarek

And here is where it falls down. The Dark Elves have to take over at some point but they've got 4000 some odd years to do it.

ca. 9500 b.S. to 9000 b.S The War of the Chosen
'Nuff said.

ca. 9450 b.S.       The War of the Chosen
The humans in the Stone Fields of Peat and the Icelands are forced to enter the War of the Chosen as mercenaries for the sorcerers. They are used in battles and magic experiments as expendable material and they prove to be hardy yet undisciplined warriors.
This is sort of unrelated. But the idea has been running through my head that genetically, at some point, the Dinali were Ice Tribes stock. Eckra got on board with this plan before the other Chosen in the north did, and had longer to muck around with his slaves until he had a bunch of fearsome barbarians to work with.

ca. 9023 b.S.       The Battle of the Winds
A great battle between the four most powerful archmages in Northern Sarvonia takes place at this time. It ends with the unleashing of incredible forces that rip the land apart and create what is now know as the Eight Winds Bay. It is also said that the archmages and their armies are destroyed when the sea rushes in to fill the gaping wound they made in the earth.

Art assumes this is between Coulande, Dra'va'ensele, Eckra and Yairock, though the thread mentions only three, but Coulande and Dra'va'ensele merged their forces to fight Eckra so do they count as two or one? Not strictly important. They all die here.

ca. 9023 b.S. to 9000 b.S.    
Years of Cleansing
With the death of the archmages at the Battle of Winds, this makes it much easier for the combined races to throw off their shackles of servitude and cleanse the land of the remaining acolytes of human magic, and the last armies of the archmages. These years are marked by the use of elven Xeu magic, to heal the wounds the archmages created.

And that's it confirmed. The survivors mop up the mess, declare Tak'Dinal the Forbidden Zone and go on their merry ways.

ca. 9000 b.S.     
The Dragon Survivors of the War of the Chosen Move On
According to currently known lore, the dragons that survived the War of the Chosen move off to live in far away lands to settle after the conflict. Myths tell that some dragons came to live high in the North.

This is handy. So the War of the Chosen is finished, according to this, circa 9000 b.S. A nice little book-end to all this.

The Elven Empire of F'v'cl'r Falls
According to elven myth, the elven empire of F'v'cl'r falls when the gods destroy it utterly. During this time, it is said that rebellious dark elves migrate north into Caael'heroth where they can worship Cor.
I pulled this from the history tables. Apparently it's from the Mists entry. The fall of Fa'va'cal'ar is supposed to be mythic isn't it. The diaspora of the various races and tribes is supposed to be a direct result of this. Fa'av'cal'ar has no history table, which probably means this would have happened ridiculously long ago.

The Shadespell Gorge is Born
It is generally believed that the Shadespell Gorge is created during the War of the Chosen. Unknown forces, perhaps a battle or a summoning gone wrong, open the crack in the earth that allow the Netherworld's presence to burst forth.

So this is one of the cracks. If all of the chosen are dead and the War is over, this is misplaced. Looking over here is a lovely bit of fact-finding by Artimidor. For this, he is presently my hero. According to this topic, not all of the Chosen would have died during the battle of the Winds, but it sounds likely that they were extinguished sometime between then and around 9000 b.S. So I was sort of wrong and this isn't completely wrong, but it's a crack in the windshield and we might as well fix it now, before it gets bigger.

Where it gets interesting is here. There's a fellow mentioned by the name of Yairock. It's assumed he's Dark/Evil and he's listed as "Archmage of the North". Mihran the Just apparently rules of the East, Coulande over the South and Dra'va'ensele over the west. Eckra rules from the Peninsula of Kr'ull, across the Plains of Rilla, likely to about the Imlith mountains in the west, the base of the Themed'lon to the north, and a wee bit of territory to the south, not including the Marshes or the Prominents. Note, this is just a guess. It says he rules a fairly large area that includes Kr'ull and what is now the Eight Winds Bay.

That would leave Mihran, who is Kanapan friendly, with the land from the Gulf of Glandor, not including the Stone Fields of Peat, across to just shy of the Imliths and everything south of that line.

It would make sense then for Dra'va'ensele to rule over the spit of land west of the the prominents. He's supposed to be half-elven and Injerin.

Coulande... well I've sort of carved up most of the region, so perhaps Mihran rules a little further to the North and less so to the west, which would put everything in the middle that isn't already covered except the Water Marshes in his hands.

That leaves us with Yairock, and a whole slice of land that includes Eph'denn and pretty much anything north and west of it. It's separated from the rest by the Sea of Tears and there's really nowhere else to put him unless it's with the Ice Tribes. But that doesn't make much sense. From what I get, they weren't ruled over directly by any one Chosen, but rather they happened to live in a region that a bunch of Chosen were fighting over but didn't have any Chosen of their own. Unluckily for them.

The Deep Winds Portal is Built
Accounts are few and much of the origins of the tower is steeped in myth, but it is generally believed by some scholars that the tower of Osthemangar was built sometime after F'v'cl'r was destroyed and the elves moved north. The exact nature of the construction is not known, but some believe that dark dwarves had a hand in it. Most likely, the portal was built as a means for the dark god Cor to enter the world of Caelereth, bringing forth his dark armies with him.

The Mists is believed to have come about at this time also. Once the portal was opened, the Netherworld atmosphere seeped into the world corrupting it.

This works fine. If everything is still a shambles after the War of the Chosen, very few groups could stop whoever did this and no one would really care enough to. There's still probably a few relatively potent magi floating around from the War, so one of them might have had a hand in this.

However, we then run into the problem of the Battle of Osthemangar. We have no idea who is doing what here, and 500 years sounds like a very long time for the orcs to be fighting the adenites. It would also mean that the Dark Elves took over Cort'Mangar during the War of the Chosen. What would keep Yairock from taking a look over there. Well hey! The Shadespell Gorge sounds like a good idea. It's supposed to have opened up during the War. So someone does something incredibly, colossally bad. They tear open the Shadespell. Let's assume this is Yairock. He wants nothing to do with the place, and so he moves himself away from the western area of Caael'heroth, and starts encroaching on the territory of Eckra, which would set the stage nicely for the Battle of the Winds.

ca. 5000 b.S.   
Cort'Mangar is destroyed during the Battle of Osthemangar
The Battle of Osthemangar rages for many days over most of the northern reaches of Caaehl'heroth. Cort'Mangar's defenders fall to a siege that lasts over several weeks. As the dead lay in the thousands among the fresh ruins, the influence of the Netherworld presence along the chasm somehow infects the bodies. Over time, Cort'Mangar becomes a city of shadow.

We'll assume the Battle of Osthemangar is huge. Because Cort'Mangar is a very long way away from Osthemangar. And there's a giant evil blighted chasm in the way now. That leaves the question, who is fighting it? Also, this is now five thousand years, give or take, after the city/fortress was constructed. I realize elves are long lived, but this seems too far off and it makes it disjointed as compared to the rest of the history which, cracks aside, all fits together rather well.

This has taken maybe an hour to put together and it's not quite coherent or at all organized.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2010, 14:22:20 »

A 'purge' switch, hmmmm?   Ahah!  More evidence for the 'Valan-is-a-computer' theory!

Here in South Korea they are labeled 'reset' buttons, though....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2010, 07:24:01 »

Valan-Bot,

I think you are about ready here. Just need to integrate the stuff from the revised history tables (if you like what we came up with). You can use the new tables in this entry, and I'll use it for Shadespell. I think its about time we get this wrapped up and make you a member.  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2010, 04:20:12 »

Well, that sounds jolly good! :D - The history thing was definitely the main problem here, but actually getting stuck a bit with this entry helped us to get these dates right, so something good comes from that as well! Just make sure that the version of the history stuff fits to the one defined in the other thread, and the proposal on how to handle it seems quite elegant to me :)

BTW: If you use events exactly as they are defined in the other thread, please mark that in this entry here, so that I don't integrate event twice!

Anyway, so once you're done with the fine-tuning just mark the entry for integration, and well, prepare your membership details! thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 31 May 2010, 11:23:57 »

I've transplanted the some of the history from the discussion thread wholesale. it is in green

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 01 June 2010, 02:04:49 »

So anything else that's still not done yet, Valan? As once the History is up to date and Azhira is ok with these changes, we can finally conclude this one, I'd say.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 01 June 2010, 05:43:39 »

I think the overview section still needed work before we got into all of that business with the history.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 01 June 2010, 10:26:45 »

Here is an idea for a possible overview that accounts for the new history. Feel free to use ideas from it, or make your own.

"The ancient ruins of Cort'Mangar stand broken and long-forgotten in the desolate wastes of the peninsula of Caaehl'heroth, west of the infamous Deep Winds Portal. According to orcen and dark elven lore, the fortress city was a powerful bastion of might and only recently has some sages concluded that it was perhaps one of the largest strongholds in all of Northern Sarvonia during the Era of Harmony. The city stood as a defense against the barbaric armies of the ancient Dinali human tribes of Aden and withstood the devastation of the War of the Chosen. After standing strong for over 2600 years, Cort'Mangar crumbled when the very foundation of the region shook as the darkness of the Netherworld spilled into Caelereth forming the Shadespell Gorge, which was just a few strals from the fortress city. Cort'mangar and all of its inhabitants perished within a few blinks, it is told, with never a warning. Scholars describe the city today as being cursed with Netherworld taint forever trapped in seething darkness and despair."

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 04 June 2010, 01:56:48 »

Overview in Blue. Here's hoping I can finally get this monolithic masterwork monkey off my back.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 04 June 2010, 03:32:18 »

There's some more essential stuff in Azhira's suggestion - can you get some of that in the final version, Valan? As some things should definitely be in there. And I'd say then we mark it for integration.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 June 2010, 04:12:47 »

Agreed! clap This is ready to go up. Congrats Valan!  hug

Get your member page ready for Arti! You and Shaba can have a member party together.  pet

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 04 June 2010, 04:18:56 »

Yay! Valan Bot gets to be a member! pet

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 June 2010, 08:17:35 »

Congratulations Valan!

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 June 2010, 08:35:29 »

Edits in orange

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 97
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!