Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: How big is Santharia- really  (Read 14363 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 24 December 2009, 15:47:46 »

Oh, I copied but it seems failed to paste what I was about to say. Give me a day to sift through the other posts and reply again please.

I too am disheartened by the size Nybelmar turned out to be - but it seems for different reasons. I am not worried about making even MORE tribes (Heaven knows, if I have to invent or remember another Nybelmarian name, I shall simply be stunned - and never recover myself, most likely, except to gasp and die). In a sentence, my problem is that most of what is already described/planned simply does not work with these sizes...

But I think we should not rush ahead. First we need to get a map and really get to grips with these distances. Secondly, we need to identify all the problems the current sizes cause. Only then can we decide whether we need to expand Nybelmar, and if so by how much.

Currently, we are all talking in the abstract without reference to any concretes. Unsubstantiated comments flying back and forth only inflame the confusion/disagreement.  I do not yet have enough information to speak, so I shall stay silent until I do.

Let us all take some time to contemplate.

;)
« Last Edit: 24 December 2009, 15:53:55 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24 December 2009, 20:43:51 »

Does 'us' refer to Nybelmar, Coren?

I'd happily wait and investigate to determine whether my plans were bigger than the lands I've put them in, and then I suppose we'll  have a more concrete movement towards (or away from) expanding the continent.

Cool?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24 December 2009, 20:45:37 »

Oh and Rayne...Would that be the 'Scramble for Africa'?

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 24 December 2009, 21:01:45 »

I can't imagine we still have a size issue here.. with a factor 2.68 scale enlargement from the Koldar map, we've gained more than enough land for our plans! (referto: 700% calculation on page three.)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24 December 2009, 21:30:16 »

Im still not sure how you came to this 700% figure....

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 24 December 2009, 22:44:55 »

Oh and Rayne...Would that be the 'Scramble for Africa'?

::presents a cerubell to Deci::  ;)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 25 December 2009, 07:08:51 »

2.68*2.68=7.something

We're talking about surface area, not line distance.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 25 December 2009, 13:54:55 »

My question, though, is why are you trying to increase the size of the continent? What more do you gain, developmentally, by enlarging it? Saying that you have more surface area tells me the effects, but not the benefits. What is the benefit of having more surface area?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 25 December 2009, 15:01:02 »

My question, though, is why are you trying to increase the size of the continent? What more do you gain, developmentally, by enlarging it? Saying that you have more surface area tells me the effects, but not the benefits. What is the benefit of having more surface area?

Because fundamentally, having a *bigger* area to develop is just something nice to have. More land, more to add and develop. Its a mental thing. Because no one wants to develop something *small*. The bigger it is, the more power one feels having control over it.

Sorry, I just had to get all "psychological" on everyone.  buck

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 25 December 2009, 15:08:31 »

But the forest is still a forest--just a bit larger. The plain is still a plain--just a bit more expansive. Technically, there IS nothing more to develop. And because we don't use dimensions in place entries, territory entries, etc. (we do not say that XYZ forest in five leagues wide and two leagues long, for example), making the continent bigger does nothing at all--so why do it?

The psychological factor may be one thing, but that seems like a bad reason to me!

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 25 December 2009, 15:42:00 »

Can we PLEASE stop arguing unproductively without any facts to support our reasoning?

Rayne, you know I like you very much, but I feel I must be forthright: You keep asking the same question. It is a fair question: "I don't see why you need Nybelmar to be bigger. A bigger plain is still a plain etc". And I asked for some time to research (to see if I could find any other inconsistencies in addition to the ones I already have flagged up in my mind) and to write out my reasons. And I already stated that "Bigger is Better" was not my reason for expansion. So I do not see what repeating the same question over and over and over and over adds to anything.

Please.

Mira, Decipher - you too. Please can we freeze this discussion. I will open a new thread in the Nybelmar board later today, entitled "What problems does the current size of Nybelmar cause?". There we can research and then list all the issues we are faced with. Then we will discuss if there is a way to get around any of these WITHOUT expanding the continent. FINALLY, if there STILL are some burning problems - crucial to the coherence of what was already created - that can only be solved by increasing the landmass, we can open a new thread to discuss and to put our proposals on the table.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 25 December 2009, 15:52:35 »

Coren, you are not the only person in this debate. YOU may not know all the facts or reasons, but it seems as though both Mira and Deci have a good idea of WHY they want to expand Nybelmar. My questions are not addressed to you: they are addressed to them. I don't quite know what I said that suggested to you that they were.

You have already given your formal departure from this debate until you have done further research. Do not make decisions for other people: if Deci and Mira know why they wish to expand Nybelmar's map, do not silence them. It is not your place. And do not silence me in inquiring to their reasons. That is a severe over-stepping of boundaries.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 25 December 2009, 21:33:40 »

I have the feeling something is being skipped over in this discussion.

1) Nybelmar does NOT need to be enlarged, because;

2) The Koldar map of Nybelmar was scaled wrongly. Fortunately;

3) That map was already being re-drawn, so a new, correct scale can be placed on the new map, affectively solving the whole issue.

Avrah Kehabhra

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 25 December 2009, 23:43:26 »

Oh right Miraran! With the continent growing to almost 3 times its current swize already...the Nybelmarian problem seems resolved.

It seems that what is already established has been more generous to us that what we planned to change  grin

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #74 on: 25 December 2009, 23:44:51 »

Yes, its almost like christmas came earl.... actually, it came right on time!

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!