Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 57783 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2010, 17:33:11 »

Guild stuff: What exactly would a financial guild do?  Perhaps they could be a competing merchants' guild, smaller but more...functional?  Hmm...the name Artificers' Guild just popped into my head.  Maybe it could be a general people-who-make-things guild, or a re-naming of the Jewellers' Guild, since it includes non-jewellers? 

Coat of Arms: Given the Academy's importance to the city, perhaps its coat of arms could form part of the city's? 

Climate:
If I remember correctly, Bard Judith made quite a few of the mountains into volcanoes, mostly in the northern range I think.  How exactly this might affect the climate I'm not sure, but I thought I'd just mention it in case you weren't aware. 

As for water, I won't be surprised if there are a few rivers on the peninsula that don't show up on the map because they aren't large enough.  The peninsula is pretty huge, and in any case the water in Diamond Lake has to go somewhere.  It does make sense that Ximax's immediate surroundings aren't fertile enough to support its population and that it has to import food from eg. the Diamond Lake area.  In fact I think that's the case with most large cities, but in any case, Ximax's founders couldn't exactly go around looking for the best spot to put a settlement; they had to settle around the Orb (unless that's being changed), which isn't necessarily in the best spot for a city.  That said, how would Ximax get water?  Aqueducts?  Sorry if this is off-topic.   buck

Boroughs:
(Inner Borough 3) Perhaps a temple to Foiros could be located near governmental area?  He's apparently also a god of justice.  Well, actually, from the entry it sounds more like morality.  Either way, I can see it as a sort of reminder to those in power to do the right thing. 

(Inner Borough 4) If it is exclusive in the way Dek described, perhaps the temple to Nehtor could be relocated to Borough 5?  It would make more sense for temples to be accessible to everyone.  And it seems to make sense for an infirmary to be near a temple to Nehtor. 

(Outer Borough 2) While it makes sense for the temple to Armeros to be located near military buildings, the entry on Armeros says that his temples serve as law courts in times of peace, so maybe it would be better for it to be located near the government buildings instead?  According to the entry, all military buildings already include a small shrine to Armeros anyway. 

(Outer Borough 3) Temples to Queprur are located next to cemeteries, so they would normally be outside cities rather than inside them, I think.  There are however shrines in the city where the dead are prepared for burial. 

(Outer Borough 4) Arvins does not have temples.  Instead, he is worshipped in sacred groves (Arwoods, Groves of Arvins).  Perhaps there could be one near the city?  Or, since there are fields here, maybe an Arwood could fit too.  I don't really know what the requirements are. 

Somehow this ended up being all about temples.   lol  But I'm tired now so I guess I'll go rest a bit and see if I can think of anything else. 

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2010, 10:08:47 »

I apologize for any strange sentences, or anything I don't address. I'm currently in a very small room with seven other people and four dogs, one behind me that keeps changing positions. @_@; I'll do the best I can.

Valan:

Quote from: Valan Nonesuch link=topic=14141.msg177149#msg177149
I think the dwarves might be a little higher, perhaps equal with the number of orcs. What I imagine would have happened is that after the explosion, many of the dwarves (architects, masons and what-have-you) involved in the rebuilding might have stayed around. The entry on the Zighurim says that they do tend to do other things owing to the less than abundant quantity of resources in the mountains.
I would disagree. While the Zigherim live in the surrounding mountains primarily, the Volkek-Oshra live IN the city of Ximax. I was actually considering making their percentages higher, though I'm still debating this. However, when it comes to the Volkek-Oshra, the City and Academy basically house the entire tribe.

Call it the banking or the bankers guild perhaps?
The Mason's Guild would almost certainly include the stonemasons themselves, anyone who mines/quarries the rock (up to and including the foremen in the quarrying operations), those involved in moving the stone, and the architects within the city who work with it. If that last one doesn't quite fit, I would suggest creating some sort of guild that would include sculptors and architects, perhaps include the jewelers and watch-makers and call it the Artisan's guild?
I like the idea of the Banking Guild. The Artisan's Guild is a good idea, but it may be too general. Would it be an over-arching guild that includes the Jeweler's Guild, Clock-makers (Watch-makers) Guild, Architect's Guild, etc? It might be like the idea of a Merchant's Guild that is so large, it's basically non-functional. Do we want to make the Mason's Guild separate from the Architects? As in, there would be a Architect's Guild and a Mason's Guild, and while maybe the guilds work closely together, each is independent.

Perhaps, and I'm just throwing ideas around here, we could place the star or several of them on the hilt of the sickle?
Would this seem to make the star less of a focus than the sickle? I would think the star should take focus.

I was referring at the time to the old entry. My thought is this, and it extends throughout the peninsula if possible. The mountainsides facing the sea would likely experience quite a bit of rain and wind. The inner territories wouldn't but the inland sides of the mountains might pick up the wet, so you might be able to find decent topsoil there, or perhaps around the base. The larger part of the peninsula probably won't do for anything in terms of growing food. The city might be importing food from more fertile lands around Diamond lake. That seems to be a logical location since they have immediate access to freshwater for irrigation. The water for that lake has to come from somewhere, so I imagine there might be some sort of appreciable aquifers lying around. If you knew what you were doing (think like a gnome here) you might be able to tap that for some kind of small scale irrigation, at the very least, there is a chance of digging wells. No one is going to run short of water. Overall, I think the weather is going to be fairly boring. They won't get snow, if the weather drops below freezing it's some kind of freak event. Rain won't be abundant but not uncommon. Some of the storms from the sea might manage a push over the mountains perhaps, and they might get weather from Diamond Lake to the north.
I could see the peninsula dropping below freezing maybe once or twice a year (based on my general knowledge of the area), but probably never snowing. I like the idea of crops coming in from the area around the Diamond Lake. However, Mina brought up an important issue: where does the city get its water? You mention aquifers. Perhaps there are smaller underwater aquifers around the city? And would the population as we current have it be able to access these aquifers, or should we import gnomes from other, outside territories?

Sounds sensible, Xarl's tone reminds me of Pratchett to be honest. It's not bad, but it needs a solid grounding at some point.
I agree. We'll brainstorm this more when we get some more of the entry written up.

Mina:

Guild stuff: What exactly would a financial guild do?  Perhaps they could be a competing merchants' guild, smaller but more...functional?  Hmm...the name Artificers' Guild just popped into my head.  Maybe it could be a general people-who-make-things guild, or a re-naming of the Jewellers' Guild, since it includes non-jewellers? 
A Banker's Guild might be a better name than the Financial Guild. I like the idea of it being like a Merchant's Guild, but smaller and more functional. I would assume that it would be a guild for banker's--they would share secrets about investing, information about interest rates, etc. As for the Articifer's Guild, we may have both a Jeweler's Guild and a Clock-maker's or Watch-maker's Guild. We might be able to mention that while there are two guilds, because of how closely they work, the Articifer's uild might be more functional or active than the smaller ones.

Coat of Arms: Given the Academy's importance to the city, perhaps its coat of arms could form part of the city's? 
Currently the Academy doesn't have a Coat-of-Arms as listed in the entry re-write. I don't think, given the history between the city and the academy, that the city would be willing to take the Academy's Coat of Arms. Most of the City's occupants are not associated with the Academy or magic. While the Academy may bring business, the magi are probably annoying at times, with their various "accidents." I think the city may take pride in being close to the Academy, but would view themselves as independent from it.

Climate:
If I remember correctly, Bard Judith made quite a few of the mountains into volcanoes, mostly in the northern range I think.  How exactly this might affect the climate I'm not sure, but I thought I'd just mention it in case you weren't aware. 

As for water, I won't be surprised if there are a few rivers on the peninsula that don't show up on the map because they aren't large enough.  The peninsula is pretty huge, and in any case the water in Diamond Lake has to go somewhere.  It does make sense that Ximax's immediate surroundings aren't fertile enough to support its population and that it has to import food from eg. the Diamond Lake area.  In fact I think that's the case with most large cities, but in any case, Ximax's founders couldn't exactly go around looking for the best spot to put a settlement; they had to settle around the Orb (unless that's being changed), which isn't necessarily in the best spot for a city.  That said, how would Ximax get water?  Aqueducts?  Sorry if this is off-topic.   

Valan mentioned aquifers. There are probably aquifers in and around the city, so perhaps the water comes partially through these rivers that you mentioned and partially through wells dug in and around the city. Does this sound like it would support the area?

I think that the idea of Ximax importing food from around the Diamon Lake area is a good one. I'm not sure about how or if volcanoes would effect the climate; I think, in any case, the difference to the city wouldn't be significant. And while Ximax city has been moved, it still remains relatively close to the Academy.

Boroughs:
(Inner Borough 3) Perhaps a temple to Foiros could be located near governmental area?  He's apparently also a god of justice.  Well, actually, from the entry it sounds more like morality.  Either way, I can see it as a sort of reminder to those in power to do the right thing. 

(Inner Borough 4) If it is exclusive in the way Dek described, perhaps the temple to Nehtor could be relocated to Borough 5?  It would make more sense for temples to be accessible to everyone.  And it seems to make sense for an infirmary to be near a temple to Nehtor. 

(Outer Borough 2) While it makes sense for the temple to Armeros to be located near military buildings, the entry on Armeros says that his temples serve as law courts in times of peace, so maybe it would be better for it to be located near the government buildings instead?  According to the entry, all military buildings already include a small shrine to Armeros anyway. 

(Outer Borough 3) Temples to Queprur are located next to cemeteries, so they would normally be outside cities rather than inside them, I think.  There are however shrines in the city where the dead are prepared for burial.

As a general response to all of these (I think all these ideas are good), is it possible to have more than one temple to each God/Goddess in the city? We seem to be trying to make sure there's only one temple per, but I personally don't see any reason why there couldn't be more than one.

(Outer Borough 4) Arvins does not have temples.  Instead, he is worshipped in sacred groves (Arwoods, Groves of Arvins).  Perhaps there could be one near the city?  Or, since there are fields here, maybe an Arwood could fit too.  I don't really know what the requirements are. 

I think Dek was originally planning on putting a recreational field. Perhaps near this field, or even in it, there may be a grove?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2010, 12:29:46 »

Tapping an aquifer is as easy as digging a well. Using them for irrigation would require gnomish tomfoo- bedev- ingenuity[/i] since you'd have to have some way to pump the water up, and into the irrigation system.

@Mina: I don't think the volcanoes would affect things much unless they were particularly active. To the best of my knowledge, they're not known to stay like that for long. They'd just be other mountains until they went active as far as I know.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2010, 09:52:59 »

I'm taking a complete break from Santharia for the foreseeable future due to RL stuff that needs to be dealt with.

I am therefore relinquishing any and all claims and ideas that I had for Ximax and withdrawing myself from the team developing Ximax City.

Sorry for inconvenience caused by this.

Thank you

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2010, 14:28:12 »

I've got some responses for you in lime. Sorry they took so long.

3) People: What should the demographic of Ximax look like? Mostly humans, some orcs, occasionally dwarves? Or do we want a more equal distribution of the primary races? What guilds should be represented in the city? I don't have any suggestions for the demographic, as I like the general direction that it's headed in. As for the magic Guild, I have it somewhat formed in my mind. It would be an underground Guild of Necromancy, where experienced and accomplished Necromancers secretly pass on their forbidden art to those wanting to learn it.

4) Coat of Arms: Please refer to the old entry. How should this description change? What do we want it to look like? WHat symbols should be included? I like it the way it is, but maybe in the center of the twelve-point star, there could be the Orb of Ximax?

5) Climate: Please refer to the old entry. Do we still want this kind of climate, or should we opt for a more temperate climate? How would being on a plateau change weather conditions Being on a plateau, winds would be much stronger, especially since it is a flat plain. I think that, because of the mountains, it would be like a swirling wind trap. I think there would be a lot of Low Pressure because of it being close to the ocean. This would cause it to be cold and rainy, or snowy as the case may be. Though, because of the mountains, I think there would be a rain shadow. There are a lot of factors that go into it. There would be a high humidity percentage in the air because of the ocean I think.

6) Resources: Please refer to the old entry, and the entry below. Is there anything we want to add? Anything I've left out? No suggestions here. Except for maybe livestock that can graze on the plain.

9) Please refer to the current lists of boroughs and their listed content. Should any of the items listed be removed, and what can be added? It looks good to me.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2010, 07:25:44 »

I don't have any suggestions for the demographic, as I like the general direction that it's headed in. As for the magic Guild, I have it somewhat formed in my mind. It would be an underground Guild of Necromancy, where experienced and accomplished Necromancers secretly pass on their forbidden art to those wanting to learn it.
This would then be more like a Necromancer's Guild, then? I will speak of it in the People section the way I plan on talking about the Thief's Guild--underground and secretive to the point no one is 100% sure that it's here.

Do you think we should have a breakdown of what human races occupy the area?

I like it the way it is, but maybe in the center of the twelve-point star, there could be the Orb of Ximax?
The problem is that no one (besides archmagi) would probably know exactly what it looks like. Most of the descriptions associated with it are highly mystified.

Being on a plateau, winds would be much stronger, especially since it is a flat plain. I think that, because of the mountains, it would be like a swirling wind trap. I think there would be a lot of Low Pressure because of it being close to the ocean. This would cause it to be cold and rainy, or snowy as the case may be. Though, because of the mountains, I think there would be a rain shadow. There are a lot of factors that go into it. There would be a high humidity percentage in the air because of the ocean I think.
A lot of the discussion thus far has made a case for it being dry and relatively un-rainy. Low pressure does generally mean rain, but if there's no moisture in the air, nothing will fall. Where would this moisture being coming from? As the moisture from the ocean crosses over the mountains that surround Ximax, the pressure drops, the temperature drops, and all the moisture is rained out. This, of course, would also prevent high humidity.

No suggestions here. Except for maybe livestock that can graze on the plain.
AH! I didn't think about livestock. While there may not be enough water to have sustainable crops, there may be enough for cows, goats, and horses.

It looks good to me.
Glad the current outlines work! How are you feeling about the boroughs you're currently doing? Do you have a good idea of what's in them?
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 06:08:11 by Rayne Avalotus » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2010, 06:21:54 »

With all this craziness going on with voting, I'm double-posting in order to get this topic back on the sidebar. You know what they say: out of sight, out of mind. Please don't forget about this discussion!

I have fleshed out the People, Resources, and Climate section. Please look over these sections. The Guild listing has in yellow the location of each guild, so that if you are doing that borough you have a better idea of the guild occupying it. If there are no issues, claimed boroughs are due January 11th.

@Eldor: I have left the Necromancer's Guild description blank. While I envision is being a primarily Volkek-Oshra-run guild, I didn't want to add in details against your wishes. If you would like, I can fill this in, but it might be better for you to do this yourself.

EDIT:

Side-note: please try to limit borough descriptions to 500 words or less. Explain things like architecture, perhaps some of the racial diversity, describe a few important buildings (like Guild Halls), but don't go overboard!

I've added two new discussion questions. Please respond to these!

10) Should the City of Ximax be surrounded by walls? If so, how high/thick?

11) Should this entry have an "Attractions" section or something similar, to add more detail about the stores, taverns, and inns that add to Ximax's mystique?
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 06:35:14 by Rayne Avalotus » Logged

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2010, 07:03:08 »

You may want to talk to Twen (Emvay) if you're planning on writing a bit on a Necromancer's Guild. I believe she's had some ideas she's used in the past (in her CDs at least) that have hinted at such a guild already. Plus she's essentially the Necromancy dev.

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 January 2010, 07:22:22 »

I've sent her a PM. Hopefully she will come share her thoughts.

As I saw it, the Necromancer's Guild was a secret, underground guild working out of one of the magic boroughs and run more or less by Volkek-Oshra.

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 January 2010, 08:00:49 »

Hello Rayne and everyone else! Thank you for the PM. :)

In general there would most likely be no concrete sect of Necromancers in Ximax (IMHO), as such practices would probably have been 'rooted' out long ago. Although I do perceive that a small group, akin to the real world Free Masons, work covertly there. In essence part of the greater whole of the school, yet merely watching out for those that show promise in this field. Once a student is found to have skill in this area, a teacher/student would begin to push this prospect with the ideals of the order. Dependant upon the mental propensity of those sought for such teachings, would in the end determine if the recruiter brought them into the fold. Overall I see these as independent individuals with very loose ties to one another, since I don't see Necromancy to be widespread or appealing to everyone.

With my viewpoint being that the art has origins in Nybelmar, they may have sects spread over Sarvonia yet no direct power structure there. Still when you talk of an art that spans far back into history, odds are with them at least taking an interest in the hub of magical training at Ximax.

If you have any questions or need some clarification on other aspects, please feel free to PM me Rayne. heart   

Addition: Am I against a sect existing there ... nope. Although such an order should be very loose and highly secretive.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 08:06:25 by Emvy » Logged

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2010, 09:05:37 »

I think you've gone into more detail than we will even use in the entry! Basically, our knowledge (I assume) of the guild is:

1) They're primarily located in the magic boroughs
2) They're associated with the Volkek-Oshra (not necessarily true, but for a primarily human population with some suspicion toward orc-kind, it seems a logical connection--particularly given the tribe's propensity toward fire magic)
3) The Guild is somehow run through the taverns/shops in the magic borough
4) They are said to keep an eye out for gifted students

However, all this is rumor, and even the existence of the guild is questionable.

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2010, 09:18:39 »

Sounds perfect Lady Rayne! I apologize for the run-on of thoughts above, with a fever and medicine to relieve it ... my brain doesn't shutoff when it should. :)

As mentioned above, if you need me for elaboration ... feel free to contact me. heart

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2010, 09:20:40 »

In general there would most likely be no concrete sect of Necromancers in Ximax (IMHO), as such practices would probably have been 'rooted' out long ago. Although I do perceive that a small group, akin to the real world Free Masons, work covertly there....

...Addition: Am I against a sect existing there ... nope. Although such an order should be very loose and highly secretive.

This sounds like something the Everbright cult would be involved in. That cult is also small, and somewhat secretive. And being mostly fire magi, surely necromancy would be practiced among them.  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2010, 09:27:45 »

Ah, brilliant, Azhira! I didn't even think of this connection. I'm glad you brought it up. That should definitely be included in the description of the guild. I'm wondering if we might want to include the sect somewhere else, explaining it a little more...

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2010, 09:36:41 »

The Everbright cult has shrines in the Volkek-Oshra catacombs, one in the Flame Tower and now they are involved in these secretive necromancer guilds. She is more a personal patron, and not an outwardly public religious icon. I am sure there are some areas where evidence exists of her reverence. This is good to think about as I plan to write the cult entry at some point in the near future.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 110
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!