Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax: Discussion  (Read 64370 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 January 2010, 09:55:37 »

Well, Anilya does have a temple. Perhaps the cult can be referred to there and in the blurb about the Necromancer's Guild?

Either Valan or Eldor is doing the borough where Aniyla's temple is. I'm sure your input would be very much appreciated once that description goes up (which it should be in a week). Perhaps you might drop by and give your two sans?

And are you still interested in taking a borough or two to develop?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 January 2010, 17:39:58 »

I think the city may take pride in being close to the Academy, but would view themselves as independent from it.
That makes sense.  Well, as for the coat of arms, a quick look at Wikipedia seems to suggest that historical ones were usually rather simple, so I guess maybe we don't need any more symbols than we already have.  Placing them beside each other probably works, though it might be a little bland.  Perhaps there is a way to arrange the sickle so that it appears to protect the star?  Or if the association with death is too strong, it's probably alright to drop it too; a twelve-pointed star is probably already quite distinctive by itself.  

Valan mentioned aquifers. There are probably aquifers in and around the city, so perhaps the water comes partially through these rivers that you mentioned and partially through wells dug in and around the city. Does this sound like it would support the area?
Well, even if it doesn't, we could always modify things until it does.   :P  I was wondering more about how water from rivers and such would be transported into the city.  Well, assuming there isn't a river conveniently flowing through the city site already.   :D

As a general response to all of these (I think all these ideas are good), is it possible to have more than one temple to each God/Goddess in the city? We seem to be trying to make sure there's only one temple per, but I personally don't see any reason why there couldn't be more than one.
Agreed.  I was working under the assumption that you guys had decided to have only one temple per deity for whatever reason, since that's what it looked like, but I certainly have no problem with there being more.  

Since this is about the boroughs anyway...while writing the next section of this post, I was suddenly reminded of tanners.  Would Ximax have any?  If they do, maybe they could be located at the edge of one of the outer boroughs, or even just outside the city, since historically they were usually located at the outskirts due to the smell.  

10) Should the City of Ximax be surrounded by walls? If so, how high/thick?
As far as I know, most medieval and earlier cities did have walls.  Depending on the area enclosed by the walls and the population growth, the city might eventually 'spill out' beyond its walls, after which a new wall may or may not be built.  (Conversely, according to what I've read, some cities shrink so much that they become essentially farmland enclosed by walls).  

As for how this might apply to Ximax, well, the old city would almost certainly have had pretty impressive walls, given that the builders were rather concerned with defence.  However, the city had been rebuilt fairly recently (perhaps some ruined sections of the old walls can still be seen?), and it could be that things had changed such that the city wasn't so concerned with defence anymore.  I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with modern Santharian history, so I can't really guess.  I do know there was supposed to have been a fairly big war.  Maybe if it was still fresh in the minds of the people at the time the city was rebuilt, they would have gone for walls.  

Height and thickness would likewise depend on how badly the people feel they need the defence, I think.  As a provincial capital, Ximax probably could get the money and resources for very strong fortifications if it really wanted to.  As for how strong that could be, I usually think of the Theodosian Walls as an upper limit.  According to Wikipedia, it consists of a 5m thick and 12m high inner wall, followed by a 15-20m wide terrace, then a 2m thick and 8.5m high outer wall, and finally a 20m wide moat with 1.5m high walls on its inner side.  Personally though, I think something this strong is probably more appropriate for New Santhala than Ximax.  

Assuming that walls were built, there probably isn't much outside the walls, aside from maybe tanners and temples to Queprur.  It's been less than 200 years since the city was rebuilt (presumably with enough space within its walls for the entire population, with maybe some free space), and Ximax probably isn't one of those cities with a very high population growth rate.  The main things attracting immigrants to the city are most likely the Academy, its library, and the fact that it's a major political center, all pretty significant, but probably not enough to make the city outgrow its walls that quickly.  Or at least that's my semi-educated guess.   :P

11) Should this entry have an "Attractions" section or something similar, to add more detail about the stores, taverns, and inns that add to Ximax's mystique?
Well, I think it would be a good idea to talk about important and/or well-known places in the city.  On the other hand, I don't know if it really needs a separate section.  Perhaps the information could be included with the description of the boroughs?  

I've also been wondering, on the map posted on the first page, where is the Academy located?  I know originally it was supposed to be at the center of the city, but I remember there being some talk of the city mostly being rebuilt to the northeast.  

Edit: I just remembered this site.  If you're still looking for more guilds to include, the Merchants and Service section might be useful.  On the other hand, the guild list is pretty long already, so maybe not, unless something has been overlooked.  But either way, I guess it could be a useful as a reference. 
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 21:46:20 by Mina » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 January 2010, 01:25:23 »

Since this is about the boroughs anyway...while writing the next section of this post, I was suddenly reminded of tanners.  Would Ximax have any?  If they do, maybe they could be located at the edge of one of the outer boroughs, or even just outside the city, since historically they were usually located at the outskirts due to the smell.  
When I wrote the stables section for Ximax Academy, I made mention to them not having a tannery there because most of the leathers and whatnot were bought outside the Academy. So yes, a tannery would be good. This seems to justify perhaps having another section is the description for those things just outside the city, including (as you mentioned) temples to Queprur and the cemetery.

As for how this might apply to Ximax, well, the old city would almost certainly have had pretty impressive walls, given that the builders were rather concerned with defence.  However, the city had been rebuilt fairly recently (perhaps some ruined sections of the old walls can still be seen?), and it could be that things had changed such that the city wasn't so concerned with defence anymore.  I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with modern Santharian history, so I can't really guess.  I do know there was supposed to have been a fairly big war.  Maybe if it was still fresh in the minds of the people at the time the city was rebuilt, they would have gone for walls.  
The city was rebuilt in 1482 a.S. While I can see Ximax perhaps having fairly nice, big walls, I don't foresee them being built for much more than aesthetic value. After all, in a city protected by some of the most powerful magic in Caelereth, I doubt many fortifications are much needed.  lol

Based on the stats you've provided (thanks for that website!), I see a wall of maybe 2-3m thick wall, maybe 4m high. I don't think any other walls are really needed. The idea of a moat does sound kind of nice, though. Maybe we might have one for aesthetic value? I don't know... what do you think?

Assuming that walls were built, there probably isn't much outside the walls, aside from maybe tanners and temples to Queprur.  It's been less than 200 years since the city was rebuilt (presumably with enough space within its walls for the entire population, with maybe some free space), and Ximax probably isn't one of those cities with a very high population growth rate.  The main things attracting immigrants to the city are most likely the Academy, its library, and the fact that it's a major political center, all pretty significant, but probably not enough to make the city outgrow its walls that quickly.  Or at least that's my semi-educated guess.   :P
There is probably a lot of space, especially on the fringes. I wasn't sure about the Recreation Field that Dek proposed, but based on the points you raise, I think such an addition may not be entirely infeasible. Perhaps there may be some parks and whatnot throughout the city. After all, if you're going to rebuild a city (and have the power to guilt-trip powerful magi), why not go all-out?

Well, I think it would be a good idea to talk about important and/or well-known places in the city.  On the other hand, I don't know if it really needs a separate section.  Perhaps the information could be included with the description of the boroughs?  
Perhaps we'll see how borough-writers feel about the 500 word limit. If they find themselves running out of space, we might consider it. If they seem to do fine (I would think 500 words would be enough), then no need to worry. I suppose I was thinking about possible maps and RP development. Xarl, in the original entry, mentioned particular taverns and shops of interest. I really like his idea, and I've been trying to find a way to work that in.

I've also been wondering, on the map posted on the first page, where is the Academy located?  I know originally it was supposed to be at the center of the city, but I remember there being some talk of the city mostly being rebuilt to the northeast.  
Until 1482 a.S., the Academy was basically in the center of the city, but following the explosion (or disintegration, as it were), the city was moved for the protection of the citizens. After all, while the explosion was the most destructive accident, it was certainly not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

Edit: I just remembered this site.  If you're still looking for more guilds to include, the Merchants and Service section might be useful.  On the other hand, the guild list is pretty long already, so maybe not, unless something has been overlooked.  But either way, I guess it could be a useful as a reference. 
Ah! This site is great! I'm not sure how in need we are of more guilds, but I think the list of shops/professions is extremely helpful. When writing boroughs, it's important to keep other shops in mind:
Shoemakers
Butchers
Furriers
Fishmongers
Maidservants
Beer-Sellers
Tailors
Buckle Makers
Barbers
Plasterers
Jewelers
Spice Merchants
Taverns/Restaurants
Blacksmiths
Old-Clothes   
Painters
Pastrycooks   
Doctors
Masons
Roofers
Carpenters
Locksmiths
Weavers
Bathers
Chandlers
Ropemakers
Mercers
Inns
Coopers
Tanners
Bakers
Copyists
Watercarriers
Sculptors
Scabbardmakers
Rugmakers
Wine-Sellers
Harness-Makers
Hatmakers
Bleachers
Saddlers
Hay Merchants
Chicken Butchers
Cutlers
Pursemakers
Glovemakers
Woodsellers
Woodcarvers
Magic-Shops
Booksellers
Bookbinders
Illuminators   

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 January 2010, 02:44:04 »

After all, in a city protected by some of the most powerful magic in Caelereth, I doubt many fortifications are much needed.
That's true, I suppose.  Although it also depends on how paranoid one is.   :P  But yes, given its current power, I can see Ximax not being particularly worried about attacks. 

The idea of a moat does sound kind of nice, though. Maybe we might have one for aesthetic value? I don't know... what do you think?
As long as getting the water isn't a problem (I don't think I've ever read about how that's done), I don't see why not.  After all, if you're already guilt-tripping the magi, a moat isn't that much more to ask for.   :P

The idea of guilt-tripping the magi amuses more than it probably should.  Maybe we should do it more often.   evil

Until 1482 a.S., the Academy was basically in the center of the city, but following the explosion (or disintegration, as it were), the city was moved for the protection of the citizens. After all, while the explosion was the most destructive accident, it was certainly not the first, and certainly won't be the last.
I guess I wasn't very clear with my question.  I meant, relative to the boroughs shown on the map, where is the Academy located?  Is it entirely outside the city now, and if so where exactly? 

Ah! This site is great!
:)

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 January 2010, 03:15:08 »

As long as getting the water isn't a problem (I don't think I've ever read about how that's done), I don't see why not.  After all, if you're already guilt-tripping the magi, a moat isn't that much more to ask for.   :P

The idea of guilt-tripping the magi amuses more than it probably should.  Maybe we should do it more often.   evil

Councilman: "Oh, and maybe we could have a pretty moat!"

Mage: "A moat would take a lot of time and affort, and we don't really have that much water in the area as it is. It would be a lot of work to get the water out of aquifers, or re-direct the nearby rivers to have the water circle around the city. Plus there's the maintenance, and really, you won't really need a moat for defense, especially with a wall and guards and whatnot. It's really not worth it."

Councilman: "You disintegrated my city."

Mage: "A moat it is!"

Yeah. I like this, too.

I guess I wasn't very clear with my question.  I meant, relative to the boroughs shown on the map, where is the Academy located?  Is it entirely outside the city now, and if so where exactly? 
 :)
To the northeast, completely outside the city. It probably wouldn't be more than a few minutes walk from the city walls until you hit the ornamental gardens.

Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2010, 08:42:10 »

Outer Borough 1 (“Ettinsburgh”)

Outer Borough 1, or Ettinsburgh, is the northernmost borough of the City of Ximax. It is also adjacent to Outer Boroughs 6 and 2, and Inner Borough 1, commonly called Aferburgh. Many of the city’s great architects flock to this borough. In fact, the majority of residents who make their home there either work as architects, or smiths. With a concentration of architects, the structure of the homes, shops, and public areas are works of art in themselves. Extravagant structures can be found throughout this borough. Although the styles may differ slightly, the universal form seems to be light structuring, looking to turn away from those with a more heavy mass. Buttresses and pinnacles are commonly found to be decorating these fine architectural segments. Shops are less grand that the homes of this borough. They are usually the more bulky structures with flat tops, and with very little decoration. Generally, the only exceptions are those with owners that can pay for their shop to be remodeled to a more elegant structure. Even this is a rare occurrence, and only the wealthiest shop owners can afford, and the selling of tools, metals, and other materials of the like does not a rich man make.

Towers are also a feature regularly seen throughout Ettinsburgh, especially twin towers. Many of these towers act as meeting bases for architects to plan out how they will remodel a certain area to better it, or how they wish to tackle their next big project. In fact, the famous Mason’s Guild has its home in one of the twin tower structures. The Mason’s Guild is an organized guild of smiths that produce most of the city’s weapons and items of convenience that can be made with metal. With a Mason’s Guild, this borough attracts around two thirds of the dwarven population in Ximax, causing the overall make-up of the population to be around seventy percent dwarven, and around twenty percent human. Orcs make up around nine percent of the population, with the other races filling in the rest. Because of the population being majorly filled by dwarves, temples to Utengor were constructed by the combined efforts of the architects and smiths.  Along with these temples, there is a borough meeting spot featuring a dedication to Utengor as well. The meeting spot is a circular space in the center of the Ettinsburgh with cobblestone roads snaking out from it through the borough. At the center of it is a marble fountain. Four spears, positioned like a cross, shoot water in opposing directions, creating a dome made of mist around its center piece mist. The center piece of the fountain is a marble statue depicting Utengor holding a hammer and a knife raised in the air while standing over a fallen dear. With all of this dedication to Utengor, it’s no wonder the forges in this borough are so productive.

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 January 2010, 13:01:47 »

Eldor, I assume you will make changes to your piece based on our discussion in mIRC. Remember that the borough you have chosen has primarily miners, not architects.

In order to give people a better idea of what should be in these entries, I've gone ahead and done Aferburgh:

Nestled between Inner Borough 6 and Inner Borough 2, and just north of Outer Borough 1, Aferburgh contains the most renown jewelry shops in the city. Here jewelers display their lovely pieces crafted of mithril, copper, silver, and gold, gleaming with all variety of gems, from the crimson heartstone, to the golden sunstone, to the green peridot. Those familiar with the city know the niche of each shop: some jewelers specialize in necklaces, while others may be expert gem-cutters, and there are even high-priced shops that sell special enchanted pieces.

The jewelry shops attract a number of visitors, particularly the opulent and affluent, and many other shops have popped up to appease their refine tastes: a number of hatters, purse-makers, and glove-makers have shops in this area of town, as well tailors and seamstresses who craft exquisite dresses from the highest quality fabrics. While the quality of products produced in Aferburgh is high, one should expect to pay in kind.

Aferburgh houses two guild halls. The Jeweler’s Guild, the smaller of the two, is rarely used, and its architecture resembles the other buildings’ so closely that it often appears like any other shop. Because the Jeweler’s Guild is not particularly active, the building is often rented out for special occasions. The Artificer’s Guild is a much larger hall, decorated on the outside with interlacing patterns, and even has statues flanking its entrance: on one side a female jeweler studying a ring, on the other a clock-maker winding gears. The building receives much use from the variety of jewelers and clock-makers who belong to it.

There are a number of small parks in the borough, where those traversing the streets may sit and rest. Some of these small parks even have elegant fountains and gazebos. Most of the population here is human, though an occasional gnome or dwarf is not uncommon.

Valan and Eldor: How are you feeling about the pieces at this point. I feel as though I should have provided this example earlier. Would it make it easier if I extended the deadline by another week?

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 January 2010, 03:27:52 »

I can have mine ready this evening actually.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 January 2010, 07:09:36 »

That would be wonderful, Valan! I look forward to reading them.  heart

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 January 2010, 07:41:34 »

Hallowhall is one of the oldest boroughs remaining, it’s neighbouring region, Feldstone being the other. Hallowhall is the only outer borough associated with the Academy of Magic to any visible and admitted degree or, more precisely, with its students. Found in amidst the streets and alleys of its tall stately buildings are several taverns including the infamous “Wasted Wizard” and Valgure's Magical Emporium among them.
Hallowhall’s buildings are all very square structures. They are made of local granite and do not feature much of the fanciful construction found in newer districts except where old buildings have been extended or "improved" upon. The most curious note about these structures is that the roofs are rather flat and that the buildings increase in height the further towards the inner city one moves. This forces some "cellars" to exist almost at ground level and causes the innermost roads to take on a shadowy appearance which is combated by the legions of lanterns hanging from brackets on walls and outside storefronts. By night, Hallowhall is one of the most luminous and bustling districts since the tavern fare brings travelers home to rest and many from neighbouring boroughs after the day’s light has grown dim.

Hallowhall also houses a very small temple, located not far from the Wasted Wizard, dedicated to Aniyla Everbright. The small building which houses this group seems rather unassuming from the outside, but upon closer inspection it is festooned with glittering lanterns and candles both inside and out. The temple itself is built over one of the more extended sections of the old catacombs and extends underneath the streets in addition to its modest aboveground fixture. Rumors abound about magical monstrosities living in this section of the catacombs but despite several forays in recent memory, the creatures remain missing, presumed fictional.

The Wasted Wizard, located twixt Shard Street and Xazure Lane, was purportedly built on the original campsite of the founders of the city, a claim several rival establishments dispute quite hotly. The Academy has given no credence to any of these rumors reporting instead that the old records are “painfully inaccurate and fragmented”. Regardless it is agreed by all that the Wasted Wizard is the oldest tavern still standing in Ximax, a fact which residents from other boroughs do their best to ignore. Established c. 150 a.S. the Tavern has survived several dozen incidents of accidental property damage, at least one attempted arson and the usual wear and tear associated with a tavern in addition to any “strangeness” attached to its arcane patronage.

Much of Hallowhall’s population is human, though being known for its inns and taverns it attracts more exotic clientele to the region fairly easily. Many of the residents of Hallowhall live above their establishments, and the region is closely tied with it’s neighbour, Feldstone.

Hopefully I haven't stepped amiss here. It took longer than expected to write Hallowhall, but I imagine I can have Feldstone (sorry, Fragstone sounds plain unpleasant to me) up tomorrow afternoon likely.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 January 2010, 08:36:43 »

This is great, Valan! And Feldstone does sound much better.

Because I am uncertain of how my semester will pan out, I would like to try to edit boroughs as they come. This will also make it easier for the writers, I think, because they won't then (after editing) have to keep returning to the discussion thread.

I've made changes and comments in blue, because your color is so close to orange and yellow that it might be difficult seeing the corrections!

Hallowhall is one of the oldest boroughs remaining (it’s neighbouring region, Feldstone being the other). Hallowhall is the only outer borough associated with the Academy of Magic to any visible and admitted degree or, more precisely, with its students. Found in amidst the streets and alleys of its tall stately buildings are several taverns including the infamous “Wasted Wizard” and Valgure's Magical Emporium among them. [This sentence has a few issues. Consider: Found amidst the streets and allows of its tall buildings are several establishments catering to these students, including the Wasted Wizard and Valgure's Magical Emporium.]

Hallowhall’s buildings are all very square structures. They are made of local granite and do not feature much of the fanciful construction found in newer districts except where old buildings have been extended or "improved" upon. [Consider just "renovated"?] The most curious note about these structures is that the roofs are rather flat and that the buildings increase in height the further towards the inner city one moves. [The beginning of this sentence is a little awkward. Consider something along the lines of: "Notably, these structures have rather flat roofs, and the buildings themselves grow taller toward the inner city." Or something along those lines.] This forces some "cellars" to exist almost at ground level and causes the innermost roads to take on a shadowy appearance which is combated by the legions of lanterns hanging from brackets on walls and outside storefronts. [I don't understand why the cellars must be at sound level, or how these cellars create a shadowy appearance .This sentence is also a bit long due to the number of conjunctions you employ. Consider: "This forces some "cellars" to extend above ground level, and causes the innermost roads to take on a shadowy appearance. Fortunately the darkness is minimized by legions of lanterns hanging from brackets on walls and outside storefronts."] By night, Hallowhall is one of the most luminous and bustling districts since the tavern fare brings travelers home to rest and many from neighbouring boroughs after the day’s light has grown dim. [I'm confused at this: taverns aren't places of rest, but places of drinking and socializing. The construction is also strange... I don't really understand what you're trying to say with "home to rest" and how it relates to what's after the conjunction. You might have to explain more of what this means in order for me to give suggestions.]

Hallowhall also houses a very small temple, located not far from the Wasted Wizard, dedicated to Aniyla Everbright. The small building that houses this group [What group?] seems rather unassuming from the outside, but upon closer inspection it is festooned with glittering lanterns and candles both inside and out. [It probably wouldn't be taken as unassuming from the outside if the outside is festooned with glittering lanterns and candles/] The temple itself is built over one of the more extended sections of the old catacombs and extends underneath the streets in addition to its modest aboveground fixture. Rumors abound about magical monstrosities living in this section of the catacombs but despite several forays in recent memory, the creatures remain missing, presumed fictional. [This is contradictory: if they are in recent memory, they cannot be fictional because they are remembered.]

The Wasted Wizard, located twixt Shard Street and Xazure Lane, was purportedly built on the original campsite of the founders of the city, a claim several rival establishments dispute quite hotly. The Academy has given no credence to any of these rumors reporting instead that the old records are “painfully inaccurate and fragmented." Regardless it is agreed by all all agree that the Wasted Wizard is the oldest tavern still standing in Ximax, a fact which residents from other boroughs do their best to ignore. Established c. 150 a.S. the tavern has survived several dozen incidents of accidental property damage, at least one attempted arson and the usual wear and tear associated with a tavern, in addition to any “strangeness” attached to its arcane patronage.

Much of Hallowhall’s population is human, though being known for its inns and taverns it attracts more exotic clientele to the region fairly easily. Many of the residents of Hallowhall live above their establishments, and the region is closely tied with it’s neighbour, Feldstone.

The description feels a bit long, which makes me partial to moving the paragraph about the Wasted Wizard to an "Attractions" section. What do you think? I feel as though having a section like this would make these little gems easier to find.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 January 2010, 09:52:23 »

Right. The explanation for the cellars/roofs.

The buildings closest to the outlying wall of this borough will be the lowest. The ones behind them a little higher. The ones behind these higher still. Eventually, it becomes impractical to build any higher and still leave space underground, so what most people would call a cellar in these later buildings it actually found at ground level

Sorry, I seem to have badly botched my "I know what I'm talking about you know what I'm talking about right" situation here. Will fix.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 January 2010, 07:27:27 »

No worries, Valan: the writing process gets complicated some times. Let me know if you have any issues with the revision--I am more than happy to give you any explanations you might need. I also apologize for any unnecessary explication in the comments--I've been editing Coren's things with a lot of added notes because he's interested in learning more about style, and it's a bit hard to turn that part of my brain off!

I've gone ahead and added a week to the dates. Please PM me or post here if you're having any difficulties.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 January 2010, 06:24:41 »

I will be visiting Ximax in the near future.  In the meantime if there is anything related to Ximax that is already developed and you would like to see it illustrated please let me know HERE

I understand you are in the middle of changing alot, so If there are no requests at this time, don't worry.  I will get my business done in Ximax and move on.  ;)

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16 January 2010, 11:23:20 »

Outer Borough 3

The borough known as the "Underside" among Ximaxian residents is aptly named. This section of the city is said to harbor much of the seedy underbelly of the city. The Underside is poor, with mostly run down and dilapidated structures that house beggars, down-on-their-luck commoners and those who wish to keep their presence and business strictly secret. Of course, the Underside is also said to be home to many secretive criminal enterprises such as the Thieves Guild and smuggling operations. The city watch rarely ventures into the Underside unless there is an extreme disturbance, and even then, the Watch only go in when the full rays of the Injera can keep the shadows at bay. Nighttime in the Underside is when the rats come out to play.

The Underside does have its uses, despite the nefarious reputation it possesses. Of importance to the city is a temple of Queprur, who is also known as the "Goddess of the Scythe". The borough locals call the temple by another name, "The Deader House" or, less respectfully, "The Ratqueen's Hole". The temple houses a large morgue wherewith the citizens of the city may bring their dead (or dying) to be taken into the Iron Mistress's embrace of the afterlife. Situated almost directly in the center of the borough, the temple is a large, imposing structure made of rough, black stone as if carved from night itself. Pale red windows stained with dust block most sunshine from ever entering the temple. Inside, the clerics of the goddess prepare corpses for burial, and inter them behind the borough walls in the massive city cemetery known as the "Cold Ground". Clerics guard the cemetery at all times lest unsavory dead worshipers rob the graves of their inhabitants. However, it is whispered that necromancers sometimes haunt the Cold Ground at night, casting spells of sleep upon the guards. This has given rise to rumors of a secret necromancer guild somewhere in the borough, sanctioned by certain mage guilds. Such proof has never been discovered, however, but the rumors never seem to die.

The so-called "Thieves Guild" is also said to call the Underside home. This guild is whispered about, but much like the necromancer hovel, no proof has ever been discovered of the guild's whereabouts or members. The borough is a sure place for such underhanded organizations since the city watch rarely patrol the area and most citizens of the borough know to keep their mouths shut about business that goes on in the various shady taverns and brothels. It is said that the notorious Erpheronian outlaw Seejay the Pincher runs a profitable business of smuggling within the Underside. It is said Seejay will smuggle most anything around the city using the sewers and back alleys as routes to wherever she needs to go. Nightshade powder, magic relics, stolen goods and even corpses are said to be Seejay's trade. Some say she has control over much of the criminal activity of the city, even influencing certain nobles and powerful magi of the academy. The city watch has declared Seejay a wanted criminal to be put to the death if caught, and those who follow her.

« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 11:24:52 by Azhira » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]