Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a Styrash name for my Explorer  (Read 3884 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« on: 08 January 2010, 03:58:16 »

Ok language experts, I need help!

I am working up a People entry for my Northern explorer, the Injerin elf named Saryas Kelweather. Of course, that name is what the humans/dwarves/etc gave him and it is not a Styrash name. I need a suitable name (probably any would do).

Saryas is a contemporary explorer having discovered some of the Mists region, the Themed'lon and others. He was originally a cleric of Grothar and his wandering spirit led him to discover and bring information to the Compendium writers (like Azhira). I'd like a Styrash name for him, the one he was born with, while Kelweather is his humanized name.

I'd like a last name perhaps combining the words "weather" "explore" "wanderer" "elf" "sky"

I'd keep the name Saryas, but make it more "elvish". Then, as other some to know him early in his career, they give him the nickname "Kelweather."

Thanks!  :)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2010, 04:13:02 »

Sal'ypherásh Enthr'herín (Silent Sky, Clouds Crossing)

I changed the ending of ypheró to make it a masculine name.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2010, 10:48:00 »

Oh this is great! Exactly what I needed. What will happen is this is his elven name, but translated among different tribes of the North comes out to Saryas Kelweather. Suitably, he probably helps create his nickname over the years so others can pronounce it  ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2010, 11:43:35 »

Before I start, I just wanna say that Saryás could be a perfectly legitimate elven name in itself. Fits the bill as far as I see it!

Sal'ypherásh Enthr'herín (Silent Sky, Clouds Crossing)

I changed the ending of ypheró to make it a masculine name.

I'm not sure about some parts of that one. Where did sal come from? The verb stem enthr- hasn't been assigned to a meaning yet, I don't think. Herín is only one cloud, also, but that doesn't make a huge amount of difference in the gist of the name, I suppose.

For "Silent-Sky Clouds-Crossing" the elves would say Anci'ypheró Ethr'herinín. I'm too lazy to remember the codes for capital "á" and "é," haha, but they're not terribly important. The accents-that-should-be-there-but-aren't just show where the stress falls (on the first and last syllable of compounded words and the last of regular words unless otherwise marked, in case you're curious...agh. I'm getting off-topic.)

Anyways! Not very name-friendly, haha; I've always thought the elves might craft unique names which hint at the significance they carry rather than literally translate the name's meaning word-for-word. I second Rayne's addition of the masculine ending, though, so however you feel Anci'ypheró Ethr'herinín could whittle down to a suitable elvish name and then to "Saryas" — probably through the influence of the Northern languages you mentioned — should work. :)

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2010, 13:33:35 »

I used the "sal" from salen. When it comes to names, I shorten a lot.

In any case, I would trust ::blanks on what to call him now:: uh... this... guy... for styrash. It's been a long time since I engaged in styrash stuff.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2010, 11:33:40 »

Saryás was always going to be my explorer's first name. I just needed a Styrash last name that would roughly translate into "weather" given Saryás' background as a Grotharan cleric and explorer. Anci'ypheró Ethr'herinín will work just fine.  :)

I am glad I don't have to keep pestering Arti for Styrash names. Now that I know the boards have two other elven language experts.  thumbup

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2010, 01:05:00 »

I am using this same thread rather than open a new one...

I am looking for a Styrash last name. Azhira actually has one (Elrosse), but I like another that carries a meaning of "shamaness" or "earth magess" or "wilds woman" (wilds as in nature, not wilds as in party hardy)

Thanks!

Falethas Whisperwind

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2010, 05:30:53 »

We don’t yet have words for "shaman(-ess)" or "wilds." Or specifically "woman," for that matter (áey "person" is neutral and can be masculine or feminine based on context...maybe that could work?).

"Earth-magess," though, translates to mód’dél’áey. A little heavy-handed what with the accents and apostrophes, perhaps. :P

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2010, 07:27:20 »

A little heavy handed, I agree. I can use that for a title, but not a given name. Are there words for "nature", "explorer" or "healer"? And if so, combine that with the feminine "áey".

Falethas Whisperwind

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2010, 08:10:06 »

"Nature" is styrá, and "healer" is eliás in the feminine. No words yet for "explore"/"explorer."

You could even combine those two if you wanted, as áey would clash awkwardly with "nature" (stýra’áey) and would be redundant in the second (élias’áey "healer-person"...haha). The combination "Nature-healer" becomes Stýra’eliás, which sounds quite cool in itself IMO. It also presents nice "Tharianization" opportunities as Azhira’s human comrades whittle the exotic sounds of her native name down to the more pronounceable "Styrelias" or "Styralias." :)

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2010, 11:00:28 »

That's brilliant, Fal!  :D

You see, Azhira is a half-elf. Her backstory is detailed in her RP character description. Her mother is an elven healer of Nehtor and her father is a human Erpheronian knight. Azhira became a healer herself, in the form of an earth mage. She took her father's first name, Elrosse, and the name you came up with is perfect for what her elven mother would come to call her. Nature healer is synonymous with earth healer i.e. healing using earth magic. Very good. I will have to edit the CD to reflect these names. So her full name would be "Azhira Elrosse Stýra’eliás". Has a nice ring to it, yes?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2010, 11:06:14 by Azhira » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]