Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cloud Elves Discussion  (Read 8841 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2010, 08:15:38 »

Please review the WIP for the Paélrhem Elves! Let me know if I've done anything wrong.

My current issues are:
1) Would Paélrhem Elves read the Carpa'dosia? I assume they would, since supposedly all elves do. Would their readings be different? After all, the name of Ava has changed.

2) Related to the above, would Paélrhem Elves be literate? I would think they would be able to read and write on a basic level, but I really don't see the necessity for high literacy, since they are not as concerned with the collection of knowledge.

3) Also related to the above, would the names for the Aviaria be different? Ysha instead of Eyasha, Veras instead of Baveras, Garas insead of Grothar? The problem is that if they are reading the Carpa'dosia, these names are in writing and thus would not change much if at all. I'm not sure how Koldar justified his name change.

4) Would they live close enough to the inland rivers to be able to farm rice (rizjo)?

5) Would they be able to get cloth from the nomadic Aelónrhim? I'm trying to figure out where their materials would come from before I launch into describing clothing.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2010, 18:37:47 »

Hi! Just to let you know, I will be tidying up the thread later on today. (Don't know if I'll get a chance to respond to queries as well). I might delete or merge some posts, so do not be alarmed if your post counts wobble a bit! :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2010, 19:05:10 »

2. Housing (more to come)
7. What does their territory look like?

A suggestion (that is: in addition to the caves): How about floating hills? These Taegions don't have to be flat plains. I am leaning towards keeping some flat lands around the rivers and having 'valleys' the rest of the way up to the cliffs. Now imagine hills and smaller mounds, mists coiling around their cones, "drifting" over these valleys and casting shadows on the landscape?

What better way to be close to the clouds? - what sort of housing/structures would they have built on these hills though? Maybe they could have cave/cliff networks around the perimeter of these floating hills as well!

My suggestion seems to be in line with your original concept: "[...] and have naturally fashioned their living spaces in such a way that they may be close to both the sky and sea. [...] Despite its complexity, the Paélrhem housing labyrinths are always close to the cliff face so that no elf is ever far from the ocean and sky. No matter where you are in this structure, you can always hear the rush of the ocean and the sound of gulls, feel the winds off the ocean winding through the passages, and smell the salt and brine of the sea."

NB: Maybe they could even have magic that allows them to influence the movement of these floating hills.  So, Cloud Elf settlements are hard to find not only because of the misdirection spells around them, but also because they shift around! One year you have these two neighbouring settlements, the next one of them has decided to "visit" another settlement across their realm. We might even be able to tie this in with the elven belief in the interconnectedness of all things, as well as the transient, ever-changing nature of clouds and the sea. These settlements continually move, constantly making new connections and dissipating others, in an eternal, complicated dance across the heavens.

Thus, maps of their realm would never remain accurate for any extended period of time - and would constantly have to be updated. (How annoying would that be to the Gondolwain! grin )

Hmm... I'm on a roll now. Maybe as settlements come near each other and decide to stay that way, the cloud elves link them by bridges. (Of what material? Rope bridges? Cloud/mist?) Maybe some of the bigger settlements could be relatively more stable/stationary? So many possibilities!

8. Climate/weather?
- Northern Nybelmar, so should be cooler than the south. Definitely not tropical. Ferlawyn need deciduous trees, so this again points to a non-tropical climate. I presume it would be slightly colder than the climate described in the  Gondolwain entry (see the penultimate paragraph of "Environment"), given the higher latitude and the absence of underground hot-water springs.

- Obviously, lots of mists & clouds.

- I have a suggestion: I want to avoid the "mysterious, solemn elves/elven realm shrouded in mists" cliche as much as possible. Plus, fog 24/7 must be rather depressing :P So I propose this: For two months every year,  the mists enveloping their realm clear up; the clouds part to let shafts of sunshine light up the land and the fleeting shadows/fog retreat into their crevices. This opens up a lot of festival/myth options as well for that time of the year. Also ties in well with my other proposals concerning the Gondolwain (see above).

(NB: The Gondolith mainland is covered in mists for 2 months every year. Maybe the two periods could be synchronised - the two months during which the Gondolith experience mists/fog are the only two months during which the mists over the Cloud Elf realm clears. Reinforces the "two different faces of the ocean" idea - whilst Gondolwain and Cloud Elves are both very connected to the sea/sky, their personalities are almost diametrically opposite: extroverts, individualists, vivacious (Gondolwen) vs reclusive, communal, solemn(?) (Cloud Elves)

4. With whom do they trade? What do they trade?
- From whom would they get materials for they clothing?

- coughs & surreptitiously slips a small note http://www.santharia.com/tribes/humans/gondolwenmith.htm-

I like the minimal clothing idea! Fits the whole clouds, surf and sky theme  thumbup Mention: scanty clothing + climate of the region = Cloud Elves don't get cold. Let's bring out as many of the physiological difference between humans and elves as possible - as you say, developers need to drive home the point that the elves of this world are not men with pointy ears! (I think the elven race entry mentions that elves aren't affected by the weather to the same degree humans are - maybe Cloud Elves all the more so?)

An idea just occurred to me: If we want to accentuate the idea that (Cloud) Elves reflect their surroundings ("towering cliffs wrapped in clouds"), shouldn't we make them taller than the Kayr? Again, would underline the 'otherness' of the elves.

Also, do you want to write this entry yourself or would you like co-author it with me? I need an express answer on this point so that I can adjust my timetable accordingly.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 03:17:45 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2010, 02:03:45 »

This set-up looks extremely familiar. Perhaps Santharian discussion techniques are rubbing off on Nybelmarians?

Your PM told me to go ahead and respond, but I know your not finished with your post. Please don't edit your above post after this! It'll make things far too confusing.

7. What does their territory look like?
I like the idea of floating hills, though I suppose it would be therefore difficult to live on these hills. Cloud elves do not have wings, and I would rather not give them the kind of magic that allows them to float and fly around, because then it gets to be a little silly, as I see it, and doesn't reflect the elven uses of magic. There would therefore need to be some other way to get to these floating hills. I don't have any ideas right off the top of my head. I mean, the ferlawyng would be useful, but a child isn't born with one.

I like the bridges, only it seems a bit too constricting to me. If there were some way to make these bridges temporary, that might work, though it still doesn't solve the issue of danger from falling.  undecided

You also bring up an interesting issue: mist or clouds. Their name means "mist," and the word has different connotations to me than "clouds." I am quite fond of mist, to be honest. I grew up in California, relatively close to the ocean, and I remember many summer mornings awaking and peeking outside to find my world covered in soft mists, half covering the ground, clinging to the trees, softening the scene--little hummingbirds flittering through it. Fond of the beauty and mystery created by mists, I'm tempted to keep that particular association.

8. Climate/weather?

- Northern Nybelmar, so should be cooler than the south. Definitely not tropical. Ferlawyn need deciduous trees, so this again points to a non-tropical climate. I presume it would be slightly colder than the climate described in the  Gondolwain entry (see the penultimate paragraph of "Environment"), given the higher latitude and the absence of underground hot-water springs.

The ferlawyng isn't going to work in this sort of environment, I don't think. I have a feeling I may need to make a lot of major changes to the entry in order to have in live comfortably with these elves. If the elves aren't living in forests, they're not going to be interacting with the ferlawyng much. We therefore need a ferlawyng that perhaps hides in the mists rather than the forests, lays its "eggs" on the cliffs rather than in trees, and has a different coloration in order to better reflect its environment.

Colder climate also means no rice/rizjo. Any other foods that might work?

- Obviously, lots of mists & clouds.
I'm imagining a climate much like the one I grew up in. Marine layer forms above the sea in early morning, strong winds blow it inland. This requires a non-humid climate in order to allow for temperature inversions, and generally fast temperature changes. The only problem I see is that, based on my (minimal) knowledge of Nybelmar, it's a relatively humid environment. Of course, I had also been told it was tropical, so who knows?

- I have a suggestion: I want to avoid the "mysterious, solemn elves/elven realm shrouded in mists" cliche as much as possible. Plus, fog 24/7 must be rather depressing :P So I propose this: For two months every year,  the mists enveloping their realm clear up; the clouds part to let shafts of sunshine light up the land and the fleeting shadows/fog retreat into their crevices. This opens up a lot of festival/myth options as well for that time of the year. Also ties in well with my other proposals concerning the Gondolwain (see above).

(NB: The Gondolith mainland is covered in mists for 2 months every year. Maybe the two periods could be synchronised - the two months during which the Gondolith experience mists/fog are the only two months during which the mists over the Cloud Elf realm clears. Reinforces the "two different faces of the ocean" idea - whilst Gondolwain and Cloud Elves are both very connected to the sea/sky, their personalities are almost diametrically opposite: extroverts, individualists, vivacious (Gondolwen) vs reclusive, communal, solemn(?) (Cloud Elves)

I'm slightly confused at what you're trying to explain here. You say you don't want mysterious, solemn elves, and then you mention that their personalities could be diametrically opposite to the Gondolwen, which would make the reclusive (reclusive generally makes one mysterious) and solemn! I will say that I prefer the elves to be reclusive because it not only fits better with general elven nature, but seems to fit a tribe of elves who separated with their own elven brethren, and who seek to live peacefully.

I suppose what I had in mind was a little different. I didn't envision their environment to have mist and fog 24/7, but rather for such mists and fog to come in and out with some spontaneity. Most mornings would perhaps be covered with mist and fog, but mist and fog generally clear by mid-day, burned off by the sun (at least, from my experience). Perhaps sometime more drift in, and sometimes not. I'm not sure when you were planning this 2 month break. Some time in winter? (fog/mists were always heavier in summer where I lived).

- coughs & surreptitiously slips a small note http://www.santharia.com/tribes/humans/gondolwenmith.htm-

The issue I have is I'm not sure how you're thinking of "cotton." In Santharia, cotton=toccon, and is grown from a tree, which would not grow in a delta. Are you proposing the traditional Terran cotton plant? This tends to grow in warm, humid environments, but again, not in deltas. They grow in fields on piedmonts, generally. (My family lives in North Carolina/South Carolina, and there's a lot of cotton-growing 'round these here parts.) Deltas might be a little too watery.

I'm also not sure if cotton would be the best material or not. After all, cotton can get kind of heavy when wet.

Kayr are really tall. I would be a little unwilling to make them taller just because that would kind of be huge. 2.3 peds is really tall anyway. I mean, that's the height of the tallest basketball players. I like the idea of them being taller, but perhaps we might say that they're the same size at Kayr, and not taller?

Also, do you want to write this entry yourself or would you like co-author it with me? I need an express answer on this point so that I can adjust my timetable accordingly.

With large projects like the Ximax entries, I like a lot of voices and a lot of feedback, even if it makes the process a little slower. On these sorts of entries, I don't think as many voices are generally needed, because there are fewer opinions going in to it. I don't mind working with others, but I would prefer extremely fast turn-arounds--as you say, I work faster than most other people. I would want you to work just as fast as me. Because I know how busy you are and your mentioning of adjusting timetables and whatnot, I'm tempted to say "I can do it alone." However, I like your writing style, and of course I enjoy working with you. If you can keep up with me, I certainly don't mind having a co-writer.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2010, 02:28:47 »

This set-up looks extremely familiar. Perhaps Santharian discussion techniques are rubbing off on Nybelmarians?

Well, I did say (see here):

We could adopt that approach as "best practice" and use it in Nybelmar discussions. Phenomenal project-management there - I mean the speed with which these Ximax entries are progressing is astonishing!

;)

Haven't read the rest of your comments yet. 10 more pages on these company accounts stuff and I can comment again  grin (Though, I have to warn you, the quality of my posts tonight may be low. I have read about 190 pages - most of it legislation - since 6 am this morning, so my eyes are a bit tired.)

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2010, 02:34:45 »

I'm glad you like my discussion structuring.  heart

hug That's a lot of legislation! I may be a little off and on today. I've had two get-togethers/parties this weekend, and now I must make up for all the lost work. I will try to peek in now and then, though, to add my two sans.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 January 2010, 03:53:19 »

I like the idea of floating hills, though I suppose it would be therefore difficult to live on these hills. Cloud elves do not have wings, and I would rather not give them the kind of magic that allows them to float and fly around, because then it gets to be a little silly, as I see it, and doesn't reflect the elven uses of magic. There would therefore need to be some other way to get to these floating hills. I don't have any ideas right off the top of my head. I mean, the ferlawyng would be useful, but a child isn't born with one.

I like the bridges, only it seems a bit too constricting to me. If there were some way to make these bridges temporary, that might work, though it still doesn't solve the issue of danger from falling.

Oh, I agree! I don't want elves floating around like balloons!

Stream-of-consciousness brainstorming:

1. How difficult it is to reach the hills of course depends on how high we have them float! Some could be closer to the ground then others ;)

2. Why are bridges too constricting? Were you thinking of solid, stationary ones? I envisaged the sort flexible rope ones they used on old ships.

3. Any objection to (i) the shifting settlements idea or (ii) Paelrhem having magic influencing the movement of these sky-islands (sky-hills?) ? 

(LOL, just had a rather funny mental image of a Cloud Elf Elder 'parking' a hill conveniently next to a plateau so that others could 'hop on'. Wow, you did mention that they were communal but they seem to have taken public transport to a whole new level!)

4. Falling off? Oh, come on Rayne! lol We aren't talking about those one-man-planets a la Little Prince! A hill is quite a large thing - well, at any rate if it is large enough to have settlements, it would definitely be large enough for people to traverse it without falling off one side. Also, aren't pointy ears supposed to be dexterous and have a good balance? :P

Plus they can encircle the base of the hill with fences/ballustrades.

I really like the idea - so we can flex our creative muscles to invent ways to make it feasible!

1)
The issue I have is I'm not sure how you're thinking of "cotton." In Santharia, cotton=toccon, and is grown from a tree, which would not grow in a delta. Are you proposing the traditional Terran cotton plant? This tends to grow in warm, humid environments, but again, not in deltas. They grow in fields on piedmonts, generally. (My family lives in North Carolina/South Carolina, and there's a lot of cotton-growing 'round these here parts.) Deltas might be a little too watery.

Cukurova Delta is the largest cotton producing region in Turkey. The climate is very similar to the one I described in the Gondolwain entry. Also, based on Wiki: "Successful cultivation of cotton requires a long frost-free period, plenty of sunshine, and a moderate rainfall, usually from 600 to 1200 mm (24 to 48 inches)." The key apparently is for temperatures not to go above 25 degrees (or near freezing), and rainfall rather than humidity.

2) Re cotton not being suitable: That's a judgement call you need to make :) What alternative do you have in mind? That said, I thought they did not wear a lot of clothing - so would cotton getting heavy when wet be such an issue? Also, why would it get wet? I thought you didn't want a 24/7 mist?

NB: The Gondolwain are one of the major textile producers , not to mention one of the most active merchants, in north nybelmar. So whatever material these Cloud Elves decide to buy - even if it is not cotton - it is very likely that they will procure it from the Gondolwain. After all, the Gondolwain have a few small port-towns just below those cliffs. You can't ask for a more convenient market :P

Re height: ok

Re co-authoring: My schedule is a bit of a nightmare atm, so I cannot make any promises. So please feel free to write up the sections/entry yourself. Maybe I could contribute one or two atmospheric pieces as inspiration strikes- an excerpt from a traveller's diary, a description etc?

Colder climate also means no rice/rizjo. Any other foods that might work?

Hmm... I would have to research that - I'm not familiar with rice-growing.

Though you raise an interesting point: I think we might not have the same thing in mind regarding 'cold'. I did not have a freezing European climate in mind. Maybe about 3-5 C below that of the Gondolwain - ie just slightly colder than mid-Mediterranean.

Re Nybelmar & humidity: Not all of Nybelmar, generally the south.

Re Ferlawyng: I'll read that entry again and get back to you on this one. Again, we might be picturing things differently.  dontgetit I don't understand what the problem is: the ferlawyng wouldn't be living in the cliffs, they would be living in the mountain forests around the "th", as mentioned earlier. And you can alter the flora of those forests to your heart's desire to match the conditions described in the ferlawyng entry.

8. Climate/weather?

I'm imagining a climate much like the one I grew up in. Marine layer forms above the sea in early morning, strong winds blow it inland. This requires a non-humid climate in order to allow for temperature inversions, and generally fast temperature changes.

I didn't envision their environment to have mist and fog 24/7, but rather for such mists and fog to come in and out with some spontaneity. Most mornings would perhaps be covered with mist and fog, but mist and fog generally clear by mid-day, burned off by the sun (at least, from my experience). Perhaps sometime more drift in, and sometimes not. I'm not sure when you were planning this 2 month break. Some time in winter? (fog/mists were always heavier in summer where I lived)

Actually, I would prefer this. As I said, I find a 24/7 mist to be a bit depressing. I am definitely an open, expansive spaces, azure seas and clear blue skies boy  buck

The only problem (and hence the reason I felt the need to introduce those 2 months) is this: Would only a sporadic mist be enough to give the tribe their name? From what you described, I assume the conditions would be rather similar around that shore. So why would other Nybelmarian nations call this particular tribe Mist Elves and not others? There needs to be something unique to them that goes over and above the norm in that region. Any ideas?

Re Mist/Cloud: Why not keep both? They could call themselves Mist Elves (Paelrhem). "Cloud Elves" could be  what the Gondolwen call them. And since the Gondonwen are very active explorers/traders, most of the people (including Santharians) would have heard of these elves from the Gondolwen. That could explain how the epithet "cloud elves" carried all the way to the Compendium. So in the menu/entry: "Cloud Elves (Paelrhem), aka Mist Elves" or something along those lines.

« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 04:14:51 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2010, 04:05:36 »

May I offer a word of caution on using the word "Mists" too regularly. The Mists of Osthemangar is referred to as "the Mists" in many entries and discussions. I am not sure if Osthemangar and your Mist/Cloud elves would become a confusion in discussions and development. I have no elves in my area, after all.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2010, 04:27:48 »

Cukurova Delta is the largest cotton producing region in Turkey. The climate is very similar to the one I described in the Gondolwain entry. Also, based on Wiki: "Successful cultivation of cotton requires a long frost-free period, plenty of sunshine, and a moderate rainfall, usually from 600 to 1200 mm (24 to 48 inches)." The key apparently is for temperatures not to go above 25 degrees (or near freezing), and rainfall rather than humidity.
Are we going with a traditional notion of "cotton," then? I mean, one of the wonderful things about Santharia is that you don't necessarily need to have the climate and whatnot perfect, because Terran terms can be Santharianized in a variety of ways. Just look at the concept of Santharian "silk." Instead of coming from a silk worm, it instead grows on trees! I suppose my ear question might be, are we going with the traditional notion of "cotton" here as a small plant grown in fields. This is perhaps more related to the Gondolwain entry than this one, but it might be something to consider!

2) Re cotton not being suitable: That's a judgement call you need to make :) What alternative do you have in mind? That said, I thought they did not wear a lot of clothing - so would cotton getting heavy when wet be such an issue? Also, why would it get wet? I thought you didn't want a 24/7 mist?
Mists don't necessarily make you wet. I suppose I meant more in terms of the elves's lifestyle. After all, they're fishing and diving quite a bit, and as I would like to avoid them being ship-builders and whatnot (since they are not, after all, Sanhorrhim elves), a lot of their time may be spent in the water. They need a material that wouldn't soak up water too easily. Maybe leather or something like leather? Perhaps there might be some sort of sea creature with a relatively short lifespan, and every year or two their dead bodies wash up on the short and their hide may be used for clothing. Or there could perhaps be a resilient kind of bush that, like the Silkel tree, sheds its bark in thin strands that, woven together, produce a strong, resilient, and un-absorbant material? Or we might borrow the traditional notion of silk, and say that there is some spider that weaves webs and egg sacks on the cliffs, and that once the web is abandoned or the egg sacks have hatched, the elves can collect this and weave it into cloth. What do you think?

NB: The Gondolwain are one of the major textile producers , not to mention one of the most active merchants, in north nybelmar. So whatever material these Cloud Elves decide to buy - even if it is not cotton - it is very likely that they will procure it from the Gondolwain. After all, the Gondolwain have a few small port-towns just below those cliffs. You can't ask for a more convenient market :P
Elves, in general, aren't big traders. I think there's traditionally been an inclination to keep elves a little more reserved and secluded than they currently are on the RPG board. While I don't mind trading with the Gondolwain, I would like to keep most trading to a minimum, if possible.

Re co-authoring: My schedule is a bit of a nightmare atm, so I cannot make any promises. So please feel free to write up the sections/entry yourself. Maybe I could contribute one or two atmospheric pieces as inspiration strikes- an excerpt from a traveller's diary, a description etc?
This seems more suited to a Place entry than a Tribe entry. Perhaps that might be a project for the future?

Hmm... I would have to research that - I'm not familiar with rice-growing.
Rice generally prefers humid, watery environments. I remember when I lived in Japan taking the train through fields and fields of rice: they were easily identifiable, being plots filled with water. You may have images, as I do, of Chinese men and women with their pants rolled up planting rice in the mud. They require warm temperatures (hence their growth in Southern China and Japan) and humid weather.

Though you raise an interesting point: I think we might not have the same thing in mind regarding 'cold'. I did not have a freezing European climate in mind. Maybe about 3-5 C below that of the Gondolwain - ie just slightly colder than mid-Mediterranean.
This is where the location differences get us! I have never visited Europe in the winter. I can only relate with my own various winter experiences. In Northern California/Bay Area, it can get chilly, but it never snows. There is little to no humidity, so even in the summer, the nights get relatively cold. I think the faster temperature changes are what causes the marine layer. Does this sound like the climate we have in mind? (Again, this would be good to make note of, not only for this entry, but for a place entry!)

Re Ferlawyng: I'll read that entry again and get back to you on this one. Again, we might be picturing things differently.  dontgetit I don't understand what the problem is: the ferlawyng wouldn't be living in the cliffs, they would be living in the mountain forests around the "th", as mentioned earlier. And you can alter the flora of those forests to your heart's desire to match the conditions described in the ferlawyng entry.
Once a Mist elf makes her connection to a ferlawyng, where does the ferlawyng live? The elves live on the cliffs; the ferlawyng lives in the forest. Something doesn't add up! And of course, the ferlawyng would probably have a color to reflect its environment more. I'm picturing silvery, silvery-blue, silvery-green, white, gray-white, pale blue, seafoam green, etc.

Actually, I would prefer this. As I said, I find a 24/7 mist to be a bit depressing. I am definitely an open, expansive spaces, azure seas and clear blue skies boy  buck
heart There is certainly that in a California-esque climate.

The only problem (and hence the reason I felt the need to introduce those 2 months) is this: Would only a sporadic mist be enough to give the tribe their name? From what you described, I assume the conditions would be rather similar around that shore. So why would other Nybelmarian nations call this particular tribe Mist Elves and not others? There needs to be something unique to them that goes over and above the norm in that region. Any ideas?
When I saw "sporadic," I mean it comes at unusually or incalculable intervals. Like I mention, there would probably be mists most mornings (Ah! Alliteration!), but it would burn off during the day. Occasionally in the evening it might roll in. We're talking about 20-40% of mist/fog during the daylight hours, concentrated during the mornings. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to see the sunrise. Especially at high altitudes (if we can make the floating island thing work), there would definitely be a sunrise visible.

Re Mist/Cloud: Why not keep both? They could call themselves Mist Elves (Paelrhem). "Cloud Elves" could be  what the Gondolwen call them. And since the Gondonwen are very active explorers/traders, most of the people (including Santharians) would have heard of these elves from the Gondolwen. That could explain how the epithet "cloud elves" carried all the way to the Compendium. So in the menu/entry: "Cloud Elves (Paelrhem), aka Mist Elves" or something along those lines.
Probably best to have "Mist Elves (Paelrhem), aka Cloud Elves." After all, Paelrhem literally means Mist Tribe.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2010, 04:33:50 »

They need a material that wouldn't soak up water too easily.

I quote the Gondolwain entry:

The four masts of Gondolwain industry are: textiles, porcelain, furniture and smith-work. Their trade network is so vast and their fame so great that there are few merchants across the Disk who have not heard of Gondolith fabric. Whether by magic or skill or some other invention of the mind the Compendium cannot say, but the Gondolwain can spin cotton so finely that over the seas it has come to be known as “the new spilk”, “Gondolspilk” or simply “Gonsilk”. In a world terrorised by rough, uncomfortable clothing prone to inducing redness, itching and all forms of other distasteful tactile experiences, Gondolwain cotton offers a more affordable alternative to the discerning customer, undercutting the silk and spilk producing nations. It has three qualities to commend itself: It is miraculously soft, airy and lends itself to tailoring as water into the sea.

Most Gondolwenmith clothing is blessed with Krean Magic to shield the wearer from unpleasant weather conditions, as well as the consequences of overzealous sweat-glands. Nonetheless, such fabric is difficult to come by outside Nybelmar, and a wealthy Avennorian merchant, a Veior or a Jorn for instance, would be lucky to sport one or two such items in his wardrobe. These arcane-spun fabrics preserve the wearer’s body temperature, a quality which has spawned the saying “cool as Gonsilk”. In addition, the fabric keeps itself dry by causing water to evaporate upon contact – making enchanted Gonsilk a sterling choice for seafaring episodes, given that the only plausible natural substitute, the lightweight watertight hide of the Ráhaz-estár snake procured by the Shendar, is very rare and not available on the market.

None other than Gondolith weavers know quite why or whether it is a side-effect of this enchantment but Gonsilk does not easily catch fire. In fact, one way to test whether cotton fabric bears genuine Gondolwain enchantment is to throw it into an open fire: If it does, the springing flames will lick the cloth without igniting it and as the temperature increases strange runes will emerge and begin to glow, as if they are draining the heat. This glow gradually intensifies until a point of saturation is reached – as if the cloth has become “soaked” with fire – after which the runic structure will suddenly fall apart like earthenware shattering upon hitting the ground and the fabric will burst into flames shortly thereafter. Ergo, given the probability of the claimed Gondolsilk being devoid of any enchantment and thus ruining what is otherwise perfectly decent fabric, this is a useful but potentially expensive experiment – so it is best reserved for verifying the claims of overweening merchants before one consummates the purchase.

Finally, to prevent Gondolwenith sailors suffering heat strokes in the hot summer months – especially given their prolonged exposure to the elements and sunlight bouncing off the waves – charmed Gondolspilk reflects sunrays falling upon it. Elves might always have light on their faces, but so do the Gondolwain – on their clothes. This gives the white-washed settlements of the Gondolwain a luminous quality at firstflame and sunset, which sparks into radiant sparkles around sunblaze, now flashing on, now flashing off, the streets bustling with merchants and craftsmen and sailors and all the dramatis personae of a thriving economy, all aglow and all afire.

The cotton grown and spun in the Vaenar Delta thus gives the soldiers and workmen of Gondol an advantage over their counterparts in other nations in battling the hot climate of Nybelmar – and their harder work reaps its own reward in the form of opulence, world-dominance, and a lot of shiny objects."

Re cotton: I don't have any plans yet regarding the plant. I am sure something suitably fantastic can be invented should we ever need to write the herbarium entry. I just want the finished product to look like cotton. I could have of course called it something else - but as you know I am rather adamantly against inventing new names for things which resemble their terran counterparts

There is certainly that in a California-esque climate
Across the Atlantic, we call it "Mediterranean"  buck

Re rice: Yeah, this won't work then. Or you could invent rice that doesn't need humidity  azn

Re climate: Sounds fine. Btw, the felt temperature is always more extreme when it's humid (so a humid summer feels a lot hotter, and a humid cold feels a lot chillier)

Once a Mist elf makes her connection to a ferlawyng, where does the ferlawyng live? The elves live on the cliffs; the ferlawyng lives in the forest

Well, do they have to live one another? How about a live-let-live attitude? They could visit each other from time to time. Is it really very cloudly to cling on to things? :P Also I thought the ferlawyng were meant to be reclusive - do they live among the Cloud Elves? Well, it's your entry, so I leave the choice to you. If you feel you need to amend the ferlawyng, you have my blessing.  rolleyes Alternatively you could of course remove this bonding idea.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 04:48:58 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 January 2010, 09:49:40 »

Upon Request.

Addition to People section:
This deep connection with the Dream manifests in a natural connections to the mists and clouds. Almost from birth, these elves have the ability to turn their bodies into vapours, floating through the air like clouds. These aspects are often called cloud-forms by the Gondolwain who share their coast, though the elves themselves call them sky forms, or ýphero’naíl. These forms allow them to ascend to their homes in floating cliffs near the coast, and to descend to the sea to fish and trade.

While all elflings are born with the ability to morph into their cloud form, they can only maintain it for a minute or two. As a Paélrhem lengthens in years, so the time they can maintain the form lengthens. At the end of a Paélrhem’s life, which may vary from 400 to 500 years of age, she will assume her cloud-form for the last time and ascend into the sky, dissipating into the air, leaving no trace left. She merges with the essence of the Dream.

Questions:
-How does this effect clothing? o.O Naked elves? Or perhaps they have some sort of magic?

Coren: Done. MSN discussion: gossamer clothing woven from the threads of the silkel tree. Floats up with them when CE assume their cloud-form.

Housing/Territory Changes:
-Making homes in floating cliffs

Resources/Trade:
-Some trade with the Aelónrhim
-Limited trade with the Gondolwenmith

Regarding the Ferlawyng: development doesn't seem to be taking these elves into a bond with these creatures. Perhaps we should scrap the idea of them developing said bond?

Coren: I think you may be right - let's discuss this on MSN :)
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 01:31:56 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2010, 02:30:25 »

Updated the main post:

- Summarised what's been agreed on in relation to the Discussion Questions
- Updated the list of 'Next Steps'

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]