Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Paélrhem Elves  (Read 14380 times)
Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2010, 01:11:12 »

Coren, I quoted a part! ;)

You quoted part of the entry, but not what makes it familiar, or what it's familiar, too.

I will say that I had Avatar more in mind when I wrote it.  ;)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2010, 02:15:37 »

Oh, Avatar the film! Darn. As if I haven't seen it.

Rayne, I didn't post at what I was hinting, for I thought, you would remember.

Did you really not be aware of the most important trait of the Shendar, a tribe long around , the tribe Talia is part of?

Coren  heart

I wonder, what sense it makes to  write anything, except for the own pleasure, if nobody reads what is written except the ones who comment on it. I thought it would be more or less common knowledge, that the Shendar bond with their animals, at least old members who are were here for a while (even if they dropped out as you for some time). Did nothing ring in your ear, when you wrote about your bonding ?

Well, to make it easy for you I set the two most important links:

The Shendar Search for 'The Shendar Bonding'

You can find the same/similar text in the ai'nuvic entry.

More details you can find here: "JOURNEYON" - A  SHENDAR DEATH  RITE

A question to your bonding: Why should one of those animals bond with an elf?
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 02:17:36 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2010, 02:20:18 »

Talia, the concept of a person bonding with an animal is certainly not a purely Santharian thing! Coren and I both knew about the Shendar--know about the Shendar quite well--and know of their deep connection to the aj. But I think Coren and I would both agree that it wouldn't make much sense for Shendar to be the only tribe in all of Caelereth to develop close bonds with an animal.

And as I mentioned before, my inspiration came more from the movie than from the Shendar. the fact that two people can take two different paths and arrive at the same idea hints, I think, and the popularity of the notion.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2010, 02:43:04 »

But I think Coren and I would both agree that it wouldn't make much sense for Shendar to be the only tribe in all of Caelereth to develop close bonds with an animal.

In the case of the Kaaer, they can *become* the animal... Big Grin

And no using inspiration from movies I haven't seen yet!  :P

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2010, 04:27:55 »

Why then, Rayne, did you let me post the links and pretended not to know of what I spoke?

You quoted part of the entry, but not what makes it familiar, or what it's familiar, too.

Doesn't matter, I don't object to your tribe having this feature, though it is not a trait so common as you seem to hint at. Well, I didn't copy the idea, it was my own and I'M not aware, that I had rrad about such a thing before.

Since when are you talking for Coren? ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2010, 04:35:06 »

The Shendar have close connections to the Aj'nuvic. The Centaurorians have close connections to horses. The Eyelians are even called "Tamers"--a term that reflects their close connect to animals. Your idea is specific, Talia, but it is not new--there is a whole Foucaltian genealogy related to this idea, and there are similar ideas in Terran terms. There are many places in Arabia where owner and horse have close connections. I mean, just look at the story/movie The Golden Compass! You don't get a closer human-animal connection than that.

The idea existed before. You can say it was YOUR idea, but in essence, it is YOUR derivation of a very, very old idea. The Paelrhem-ferlawyng connection is my derivation.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 19 January 2010, 05:15:59 »

I don't think you have read the Death rites, maybe not even the short passage of the tribe entry itself. Otherwise you would not compare the connection the Shendar have with their bondmates with those of the Centaurorians or Eyelians (those have a different affinity), or even earthen ones.

What happens in the golden compass is something entirely different, which cannot be compared at all. Apart from that, I read it after I had created the Shendar Bond.

I won't argue with you anymore about this, Rayne, I want to do my own stuff.

I posted a question to your bonding above! ;)
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 05:17:55 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2010, 05:30:41 »

I did not know if you thought it was familiar because of ONLY the Shendar similarity, or also because of Avatar (I know you saw it just a little while ago, and the concept is very similar).

And I was speaking in generalities. The Death Rites are a form of derivation, already explained. The Golden Compass is another derivation of a very old idea. Again, Foucaltian genealogies.

And the ferlawyng thing may be scrapped anyway, so no need to worry.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2010, 08:17:43 »

I must have drawn my idea out of the collective unconscious. So disappointing!  buck

And I have not the slightest idea, what 'Foucaultian genealogy' is.

Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2010, 11:56:04 »

Foucalt was convoluted French philosopher (there were so many of them!) who thought of histories more as genealogies rather than attempts at discovering origin.

I find the wisest individuals are those deeply connected to the collective unconscious. It is something to be proud of, not disappointed about!

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2010, 01:22:11 »

Rayne, when you make additions/changes, can you please colour the bits you add/alter? (You don't need to waste time highlighting grammatical changes/minutia - just colouring whole sentences/paragraphs should suffice) Otherwise it's very difficult to find/check what's been amended. Thanks! :)

EDIT: "Otherwise, these elves keep to themselves; a Paélrhem journeying away from the environment with which she is so deeply connected is virtually unheard of." >>> This is something we'll need to discuss. I have a few ideas. Remind me next time we meet on MSN please!

EDIT2: Also, should we mention the floating hills (or rather: their settlements on the floating hills) under 'Housing' + 'Territory' too?
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 01:35:21 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 January 2010, 21:59:59 »

Rayne, please also include a link to the Cloud Elves Discussion thread in the main post at the top of this thread - thanks!

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2010, 03:03:39 »

The Paélrhem live along the cliffs that float above the land to overlook the ocean

I just spotted this. I thought we envisaged: (1) Cave networks carved into the cliff faces - ie keep the original description you wrote PLUS (2) Settlements on the Floating Hills, which float not only above the cliffs but above that whole Taegion region/valley. These floating hill settlements could also be similar networks of interconnected caves.

Or?

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2010, 03:42:29 »

Hi again Rayne!

The first sentences of 'Territory' and 'Housing' still read as if these elves only live on FL and not Cliffs-S. Could you please edit those accordingly? Thanks :)

EDIT: Ignore what I just said. :)
« Last Edit: 03 February 2010, 04:05:06 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Rayne (Alŭr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 February 2010, 08:28:30 »

The entry should be more or less done. I'm trying to develop some basic Nybelmarian Styrash principles in order to integrate a poem into the People section, but I think the entry itself is ready for a good look-over. I will work on doing this myself at some point (I haven't really been looking over my writing too closely @_@).

Because I would like to get the poem integrated at some point, but I'm still working out the differences between Nybelmarian and Santharian Styrash, I'm going to keep this a WIP.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]