Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Norong Sorno Volcano picture  (Read 15722 times)
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 January 2010, 20:28:33 »

Oh! And I just noticed, I can see small plumes of smoke rising from Thalambath. VERY nice attention to detail there, Seeker. :D

« Last Edit: 29 January 2010, 20:32:26 by Fox » Logged
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 29 January 2010, 22:27:58 »

Fox, their clothes are all white, and there are some black pixels in it. How would you colour a face which is three pixels white? Three? One!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 January 2010, 22:32:30 »

The black are shadows. The rest of the white makes them look like marble statues to me.

At the very least add colour variation to the clothes, like uderzan blue for some small parts. Maybe one with their hood off (their heads are white) so the dark hair is visible.

Just something to make them look not so pristine and stone-cut.

I'm pretty sure Seeker has a larger version he works with than what he is posting for us, Talia, so colouring would not be as pixelated as your example shows.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 29 January 2010, 22:44:11 »

Amazing! It all pops into scale now!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 January 2010, 22:45:52 »

I am glad we seem to be getting closer.  Talia once you have had a chance to think more about the pic I will make another version.  No rush, there won't be another update for a couple of weeks.  I will also put more detail on these little guys.  Not much though.

Talia if you find a pic that portrays a sky you like, just point me to it.  Skys are fun and realtively easy changes.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 January 2010, 23:14:27 »

This looks great Seeker! The perspective/scale is a lot better too!

Unless you're fed up with them already, I have a few more suggestions - though gotta run now. Might pop back in either tonight or tomorrow :)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 January 2010, 23:50:03 »

Go for it Coren!

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 February 2010, 09:24:33 »

Bump- to get those comments from Talia and Coren.  and anyone else. ;)

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 11 February 2010, 19:06:44 »

It is quite nice, Seeker.  thumbup

If I could have some changes still..

- less snow on the southern (left) side, more on the north where the sun cannot melt it. It will be quite cold up there, not many warm currents to melt it.  (There should be more snow on the north than on the southern slope) We are now looking at the volcano from the southeast.

- I wonder, why these dunes nearer to the volcano are so white. A change in the colour of the sand is good, for in the back are more sediments of the mountain, I assume, but they have a very light colour.

- What about a tint of dark gold to red to picture the reddening evening sun?

-The oasis. I would appreciate, if you made the water area a little smaller. Maybe just the half left of what you have now, but a bit less swallow looking; to the right could be a few more trees find their place. Maybe even a few domes?

hug  Seeker, you are so patient!
« Last Edit: 11 February 2010, 19:08:39 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 February 2010, 04:00:11 »

*Edit: Ignore this suggestion, due to Talia's request.

If I could make one additional suggestion as well...

From my not-yet-finished Dunraich of Thalambath entry:

* The Golden Reach
The Golden Reach is the name of the dunes that lie to the east of the Norong’Sorno volcano and before the Makadi Gadi Salt Pans, running from the edge of the Nirmenith Mountains to the Yar’dangs. Though not entirely under Thalambath’s control, as Shendar exert their claims over the territory, bigger or smaller parts of it have occasionally fallen under the Dunraich’s dominion over the centuries. They are rich golden plains, with little apart from sand and dust. However, one can find Thalambathian roads here, which, depending on the political climate of the time, are swept and pressed in order to allow caravans to cross the desert. Every stral along the side of the road are large stone pillars reaching into the sky, which provide guides in case the roads have been covered by a sandstorm.

The Golden Reach would be the stretch of sand between the oasis and the volcano. While the 'roads' mentioned here would not be visible (and only would be maintained in the areas closer to T and the Norong, don't freak out, Talia ;)), the pillars would still be visible every stral of distance. I am not sure how visible they will be considering how far away we are, but something to consider. :)
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 05:00:48 by Fox » Logged

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 12 February 2010, 04:52:02 »

Fox, I have not agreed with all what you are writing in your Thalambath state entry. The golden reach is still off limits for you, I have not agreed that you use it as you described it. My answers before Christmas were no final ones, as I did not have the time to think them over. I think the picture is fine as it is now, I don't think, the Shendar are happy with stone pillars showing a straight way to their precious oasis. There might have been stonepillars in a time long gone once, but not now anymore.

Sorry for that. I had hoped to give you more detail to the territory question this week, but a grandsson is tiring.

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 February 2010, 04:57:39 »

Alright. Seeker can scratch my suggestion then.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 February 2010, 06:14:44 »

Darn that Talia and her stranglehold on the South.   grin

Actually means less changes for me.  thumbup

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 February 2010, 03:28:25 »

Hi Seeker! Sorry for the long wait  buck

1) The picture looks absolutely stunning now - especially in the small version!  clap

2) I personally prefer white - so I'd recommend keeping those travellers as-is.

3) Re Thalambath: I think the only problem right now is that the town makes the mountain look too small - so back to the original problem :P I would suggest:

a- Reduce the extent of the town to 1/5 of its current height (ie essentially confine it to the skirts of the mountain)

b- Reduce the space between the individual buildings.

I think the perspective problem is two-fold: (i) When you look at the mountain for the first time, it looks smaller than it should be. This was not the case with earlier version that did not contain the town. (ii) Then when you look closer, you come to a rather startling conclusion: Those Thalambath buildings must be GARGANTUAN! Given the distance and the perspective, they should each be almost as high as the slope those travellers are standing on!

So if you could 'crowd' the city a bit more (and perhaps extend it 'horizontally' rather than vertically), that would not only make Norong Sorno but Thalambath itself look larger.

4) My previous comments regarding the sand-dunes stand. You have lightened the colour but not really softened the contours/texture. Right now, given that:

(x) the picture-size of the dunes closest to the mountain is more or less equal to that of the dunes closer to the viewer, AND
(y) distance in RL 'flattens' the landscape,

their real-life size must be many many many times greater. So the distance becomes difficult to judge.

The eye therefore draws two conclusions: (i) Either there is something wrong with the perspective or (ii) Those dunes very significantly and rapidly increase in size the closer they get to the mountain.

(Size = their heights, as suggested by the black shadows they cast over the land beneath)

5) The texture on Norong Sorno is FABULOUS!!! And I love the ring(s) of smoke encircling the crown

Seeker you really improve tremendously with every picture!  jawdrop

« Last Edit: 13 February 2010, 03:39:15 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 February 2010, 12:35:45 »

Well the change in the sky color has made an overall dramatic change to the picture.  I like it much better, I hope you do too. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]